Status: Complete

The Bad Boy Next Door

Writer's block hell

Frank had developed a deep hatred for blank computer screens. They taunted him every time he closed his eyes, every time he fell asleep. And in his waking hours, the real thing stared at him, as if it were making a mockery of the emptiness he felt in his life.

He tried writing with a good old-fashioned pen and paper, wondering if maybe that would make the words come again, but still nothing. All that had gotten him was a nice mound of paper balls beside his couch.

When he heard a knock at his door, Frank got up immediately, grateful for the distraction. He became even happier when he saw his visitor was Jo. He smiled brightly. "Well, hello, Mrs. Wentz. And how can I help you?"

Jo smiled back. "I'm really sorry to bother you, but, well, Pete's off again, and I was getting sort of lonely over there by myself. But I'm probably intruding, so…"

Frank reached out, desperate to stop her from going. "No. You're not intruding at all. As a matter of fact, I'm glad you stopped by. I was going crazy in there trying to write?"

"Novel not going so well?"

Frank winced. "No. I'm in writer's block hell."

Jo gave him a sympathetic look that would annoy him coming from most people. From her, it made him feel a little better. "How long have you been blocked?" Jo asked.

Frank decided against lying to her. "Any ability I ever had to write came to a dead stop months ago."

Jo's eyes widened. "Must be awful for you."

"It's not a walk in the park, that's for sure." Frank's brow knitted. "You want to go get some lunch? I know I could use a change of scenery, and it must get boring for you, eating alone."

Jo paused, thinking for a minute. Would Pete like the idea of her going out to eat with another man? But she wanted to go, and well, Pete wasn't there to stop her, now was he? "Sure. Where'd you have in mind?"

"There's this place up the road. Pretty damn awesome place."

Jo giggled, and Frank decided instantly he loved the sound. "Sounds good. You ready to go now, or…"

"Now's a good a time as any. Let's go."

Jo smiled as she walked with Frank down to the driveway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait!