Status: Complete

The Bad Boy Next Door

Confrontation and guilt.

Frank frowned. Had she forgotten she was the one that threw herself at him? He stood. "Jo, I just… What happened here, pet?"

Jo turned towards him, the look of hurt confusion on his face tearing at her. "I'm so sorry," she said, starting to cry.

"It's all right," Frank said, unable to keep himself from going over to comfort her. He wrapped her arms around her, letting her cry against his shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Jo said again, her voice muffled against his chest.

Frank stroked her hair. "Shh. You don't have to be sorry. It's going to be all right, love."

Jo pushed away from him. "Don't call me that."

Frank frowned. "Call you what?"

"Love. I don't love you. I can't love you."

"I…I didn't mean…" Frank gave her an apologetic smile. "Slip of the tongue.."

"I know, I just." Jo looked around the room again, the reality of what she'd just done hitting her. "I have to go. Pete's supposed to be home this afternoon."

Frank looked down, the mention of her husband's name filling him with guilt over what they'd just done. "Right."

Jo ran out the door without looking back. Frank sighed and started picking up what they'd knocked over.

-----------

When Pete got home, Jo was sitting on the couch. "Hey, baby," he said, leaning down to kiss her. Jo turned away. "What's wrong?" Pete asked, his brow knitting.

"Who's Leanne?"

"Huh?"

Jo stood and tossed the scrap of paper she'd found earlier at Pete's head. "Leanne! Who the fuck is she, Pete?"

Pete eyes grew wide, and he bent down to pick up the paper. He opened it, reading the name and number. "Where did you find this?"

"In your jeans earlier, when I was doing laundry. Is she where you've been, Pete? Is Leanne your 'business?'"

"What! No! Jordan, I…Do you think I'm cheating on you?"

"You have women's numbers crumpled in your jeans, Pete. What the fuck am I supposed to think?"

Pete blinked. He'd never seen Jo like this, never heard her talk this way. "Jordan…I wouldn't do that!"

"Then who is she?" Jo screamed, her whole body shaking.

"She's…she's a business associate. She'd left her house that morning without bringing her business cards, so she just scribbled her number down. I swear, Jordan, I'm not cheating on you. I would never, ever do that, baby! I love you so much."

Jo stared at him, feeling sick to her stomach. "You didn't…"

"No!" Pete placed his hands on her arms, looking down into her eyes. "Jordan, listen to me. I love you. I know I'm gone a lot, but I'm always faithful. You're my everything."

"You really didn't cheat on me? Oh god…" Jo burst into tears.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Pete asked softly, wiping the tears off her cheeks. "You seem upset that I didn't."

"No, it isn't that," Jo said, hoping he couldn't tell she was lying. "It's just, I found that this morning, and it's been a really emotional day. I'm so sorry, Pete."

"It's okay," Pete said, kissing her forehead. "I don't blame you for making that conclusion," he told her, unable to know the true reason for her apology. "I probably would've thought the same thing in your shoes."

"I'm sorry," Jo said again, slumping against her husband's chest.

"It's okay, really." He hugged her. "You've had a hard day, baby. Why don't I go run you a bath, and you can soak while I order something for dinner."

Jo looked up at him, the gentle way he was treating her multiplying the guilt she was feeling. "Pete, you don't need…"

"No arguing, Jordan. Come on. Let's go get you relaxing."

Jo nodded numbly as she followed Pete into the bathroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Ooooo*

Poor Frankie..