Status: Complete

The Bad Boy Next Door

"Let's see if I can go get your motor running"

When Frank woke up the next morning, it took him a moment to realize that the pounding he was hearing was not regulated to his brain alone. He looked over at the clock and cursed, wondering who would be bothering him at five o'clock in the morning. His recent trips to the front porch in order to see Jo in her robe notwithstanding, Frank was not a morning person. And everyone who knew him was well aware of it.

The knocking didn't stop. Frank rolled out of bed, grabbing the first pair of jeans he saw and slipping them on. "I'm coming, I'm coming!" he informed whoever was knocking, before adding under his breath, "Hold your horses." Frank was fully prepared to snap at his early morning visitor, but stopped short when he realized it was Jo. He rubbed his face, suddenly wishing he was a little more presentable. "Mrs. Wentz? Is everything all right?"

Jo stared blankly for a moment. Being a woman who was still currently breathing, she had of course noticed her neighbor was attractive, but this… His normally straightened, which was clearly dyed, back hair was now in tussled waves, making her fingers ache to run through it. He was wearing nothing but the tightest pair of black jeans she had ever seen, allowing her a perfect view of his sculptured chest. "I…I…um…"

Frank smirked at her reaction. Maybe he was presentable enough after all. "Did you need something?"

Need something? His words penetrated Jo's suddenly foggy brain. Yes, she needed something. She needed… Jo shook her head. "My car won't start."

"Your car?"

"Yeah. Geez, I feel like such a girly girl, but I have no idea what to do, and I'm supposed to take my sister to the airport this morning. Pete usually takes care of these things, but he's not home, and I figured, well, you're a man, and men know about cars, and…" Jo stopped, realizing she was babbling.

"Hold on just a moment, sugar," Frank said. "I'll put some more clothes on and be over in a second."

Jo just nodded as she stepped back, her mouth completely dry. sugar? As much as she knew she shouldn't, she liked that… And why was he putting on more clothes? Jo mentally scolded herself as she realized that fully dressed neighbor really was better than half-naked neighbor, no matter how sexy he was.

"Would you like to come in?" Frank asked. "I'll only be a moment."

Jo nodded again. She had to admit, she was curious to see the inside of his house. Frank stepped back, letting her come inside. Jo surveyed the room with her eyes, somewhat surprised to see it was fairly clean. He could probably stand to dust more often, but he didn't have the clutter all around that she usually associated with single men. Granted, she hadn't seen the rest of his house. Maybe he just kept the living room up for appearances.

"I'll be right out," Frank told her, slipping out of the room.

Jo took her moment alone to study his living room more closely. It was decorated simply, with two leather chairs and a leather sofa. He had a nice sized television, and a small end table between the couch and one of the chairs. On it was the remote control and a single picture in a plain silver frame. Jo picked it up, seeing that it was of a much younger Frank standing beside an older woman, his arm around her. They were both smiling.

"That's my mom. She died a while ago, before I left England."

Jo jumped, putting the picture down quickly. "I was just…"

Frank smiled at her. "It's all right."

"I lost my mom, too," Jo said softly. "A little before I married Pete."

Frank met her eyes, and for a moment, he felt a connection with her. Jo was the first to look away. "So, want me to take a look at your car?"

Jo looked up. "Yes, please."

Frank gave her his sexiest smirk. "Well then, Mrs. Wentz, let's see if I can go get your motor running."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sure my Jo would love Frankie to 'get her motor running' ;]