Status: Complete

The Bad Boy Next Door

Mary & Madison

By the time they actually managed to get out of the house, it was well past breakfast time and now firmly into lunch-and a late one at that. Frank and Jo went to a restaurant on the other side of town, hoping they wouldn't be noticed.

Jo should've known she wouldn't be so lucky. She and Frank had just started eating when she heard a familiar voice calling her name. She closed her eyes and swore under her breath. "Jojo! What are you doing on this side of town?"

Jo smiled as best she could. "Marz! I could ask the same of you."

"Maddy and I were checking out a book store over here." Mary squeezed the other girl's hand. "And who's this guy your having lunch with who isn't Pete?"

"I'm her neighbor, Frank," He spoke up. "Your friends of Jo's?"

Mary nodded, looking at Frank with suspicion. "Yes."

"Isn't this funny, Jo? First you run into me out here, and then them? Guess this is an even smaller town than we thought," Frank said.

Jo gave Frank a quick, grateful look. "I know, what are the odds?"

Mary smiled, obviously taking the excuse as it stood. Madison frowned a little, but said nothing. "So you're Jo's neighbor?" Mary asked, turning to Frank.

"Yeah. Have been ever since the Wentz's moved in."

Jo winced at the mention of "the Wentz's." She didn't like thinking of her husband when she was with Frank. She wanted to separate those parts of life. "Frank's a novelist," Jo said, trying to make conversation that wouldn't be uncomfortable.

Mary looked impressed. "Are you published?"

"Last book made the New York Times Bestseller list."

"I didn't know we had any famous authors here."

Frank chuckled. "I'm not that famous. Sort of, um, a recluse." Jo rolled her eyes.

"Oh," Mary said with a nod. "I got it."

"Let's go sit down," Madison said, giving both Jo and Frank a glance. "I'm hungry."

"Okay," Mary replied. "Good seeing you Jojo. And meeting you, Frank."

"You, too," Frank replied. He smiled at Madison. "Both of you."

Madison nodded, looking down a little. "You, too."

"Call me later," Mary said to Jo before she and Madison went to their table on the other side of the restaurant.

"I think the quiet one suspects something," Frank said after they were alone again.

"Maddy? She's always shy. Well, until she gets to know you. She's really nice. Mary's lucky to have her. And she's lucky to have Mary, too." Jo stopped, realizing she was babbling.

Frank could see how uncomfortable Jo was. "Do you want to leave?"

Jo shook her head, but didn't look up at him. "No. I want to finish eating."

They ate the rest of the meal in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh dear.. Thats never good ):