Status: Complete

The Bad Boy Next Door

I'm sorry.

Jo took a deep breath and knocked on Frank's door. It was late in the evening, but Jo was afraid if she didn't do this now, she wouldn't be able to. She didn't want to, knowing it was going to hurt both of them but she had to. She knew it would be better in the long run.

Frank opened the door, looking at her in surprise for a moment, before his expression setting back to one of indifference. "So she's back."

"We need to talk."

"I figured. Come in."

Jo and Frank stood in the living room, staring at each other. After a moment, Frank broke the silence. "I know what this is. This is you telling me…"

"It's over."

"Yeah."

Jo closed her eyes for a second, trying to build up her courage. She opened her eyes again, forcing herself to look at Frank. "I do want you. Being with you makes things simpler. For a little while…"

"I don't call five hours straight a little while."

Jo kept going. "I'm using you. I can't love you. I'm just…being weak and selfish."

Frank moved a little closer to her. He knew there wasn't anything he could do to change her mind, could see the determination set on her face, but he didn't want to accept that she was really ending it. She could use him. He didn't care, as long as he had her. "Really not complaining here."

"It's killing me." Jo stopped, searching his face. The pain in his eyes cut through her, and she couldn't tell if it was for her, or for him, or for the both of them. She wanted to take him into her arms and hold him, to comfort him the way he had her. But she couldn't. "I have to be strong about this. I'm sorry…Frank."

Frank felt his heart shatter with that one word. She hadn't called him Frank since the early days of their friendship, and hearing it again just served to drive home the point that she was really leaving. Jo didn't wait for his response, only turning around and leaving his house, shutting the door behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh dear.
Sorry Jo...