Status: Complete

The Bad Boy Next Door

Arguing

"I'm going to New York Monday."

Jo dropped her fork into her salad. "What? I thought you said you didn't have to travel for two weeks."

"I'm sorry, Jordan. I really wish I didn't have to, but if I don't go, this deal I've been working on for months could fall through. That could cost me my job, baby."

"Can't Graham go?"

Pete reached across the table, taking her hand. "I'm sorry. I wouldn't go if I didn't absolutely have to, but this is important."

"Isn't our marriage important?"

Pete's eyes grew wide in surprise. "Of course it is! Jordan, our marriage is fine."

"No, it isn't. I never see you! How can we have a marriage if we're never in the same place at the same time?"

Pete stood up. "Dammit, Jordan, I do this all for you! I want you to have everything so you can be happy!"

"But I'm not happy! I don't care about material things, Pete-I want to be with you."

"Yeah, well, you tell me that when we're living in a crappy, roach-infested apartment, struggling to pay the bills."

Jo's eyes filled with tears. "I'm not saying I want that, it's just… Isn't there some way you could be home more? I see more of the bag boy at the grocery store than I do of you."

"Jordan, we are not having this discussion. This is my job." He sighed at the heartbroken look on his wife's face. "I promise we'll spend some real time together soon." He sat back down at the table.

Jo was the one to get up this time, throwing her napkin down. "You keep saying that, but it hasn't happened, Pete. If anything, I see you even less than I used to. I'm sick of it!" She stormed out of the dining room.

Pete ran after her, grabbing her arm. "Where are you going?"

"Away, since obviously you don't want to be around me."

"Jordan, that isn't true! I told you I'd make it up to you! Come on, baby, I'm here now. Let's just have a nice dinner."

Jo pulled her arm out of his loose grip. "I'm not hungry." She ran off, slamming the back door as she went out to the porch.

Jo hadn't been outside very long at all before she noticed someone come over and sit beside her. She turned, starting to yell at Pete to leave her alone when she saw it wasn't her husband. "Frank!"

"I don't mean to intrude, pet, but you looked so sad sitting over here."

"It's nothing," Jo said. "I'm just one of those overly emotional women."

Frank smirked. "Now how come I doubt that?" He patted her leg. "I don't mean to pry or anything, but I'm here if you want to talk."
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter up reeeaaalll soon!