Status: Active

Suddenly There Is Love

Aftermath

When I received the call from the office about the finding of a dead body over at Market4U, I instantly called Zooey. There was one ring, two rings, and then she picked up. She sounded tired.
"Booth."
"Are you at work?" I asked quickly, and I was extremely happy that she was not the body that had been found. I let a sigh of relief escape my lips. "Did you hear?"
"Yes." She answered shortly.
"Were you there?"
"Yes."
"I'll be right there." I hung up quickly, as I was driving in traffic. I arrived quickly at Market4U, and ran out of my car, and into the builing. Several policeofficers tried stopping me, but I put my badge up in their faces, and they let me past. I came to the third floor, and scanned the hallway for Zooey, and I saw her, with another man. I was guessing this person was Matt. I walked quickly over to them, and nodded at Matt. He returned my nod, and left. I wrapped my arms around Zooey in a comforting hug, but I felt that she was not returning my hug. She felt weak, tired and passive in the hug.
"Tell me everything!" I demanded, and released her from my hug, keeping my face only inches away from her face. She let out a small breath, and opened her eyes. They were filled with tears: and the sight of death.
"God, Zooey." I said shortly and stared into her eyes.
"You saw the body?" It was a statement. The look in her eyes already told me that she had seen the body. She nodded.
"i recognise that look anywhere. You were the one to find the victim?" She shook her head in response.
"Then who found her?"
"Emma," she said in a whisper, before she pointed to an office that was temporarily being used as an interrogation room.
"This is an FBI matter now, and I need you to tell me everything yousaw, everything you heard, do you understand?" The FBI agent in me kicked through, I heard it in the way my voice was sounding. It was as if someone decided to knock reality back into Zooey, as she decided to shake off some of the shock.
"I heard a scream - Emma." she glanced quickly in the direction of the office where the body had been found. Several more tears made their way down her face. "I walked in, and saw her crying and pointing at something on the floor." She looked back at me. "And there she was. Dead." She shuddered at the thought, and closed her eyes yet again. I reached out my arm and started stroking her arm. "There was so much blood." She said in a whisper, and she let her head fall into her hands. She started crying, her entire body shaking. I tried remaining professional, although all I wanted was to cup her in my embrace and tell her everything would be alright. She looked up at me with determination in her face.
"The woman, the victim, I know her face." I was shocked at this comment.
"What, does she work here?" I asked sincerely.
"No." She bit her lower lip and took a deep breath.
"I remember her... I remember her scared face. I can not believe I ever forgot her face. She was working as a cashier, in a bank." My eyes widened.
"I think she was in the bank during the bankrobbery, I think she worked at the bank."

My heart stopped beating for a short while. She remembered something from the bankrobbery? I stood there looking blank, and it not until Zooey waved her hand in front of my face, I reacted.
"You remember?" I asked simply, and she replied with a nod. I didn't know if I should be happy or sad. I mean, a woman had been killed, but then again: Zooey had remembered something. Next thing she might be able to remember me! I felt sick to my stomach of my own thoughts. I mentally shook of the joy of her remembering.
"I have to see the murder scene.You just wait here." I didn't wait for her response, and I walked quickly into the office where the body had been found. The woman was still laying on the floor, a deep cut to her abdomen had caused severe bleeding, and then: her death. FBI forensics were all over the room, snapping photos, collecting evidence, creating an image of how this woman was murdered. I found myself staring at the womans face.
"You alright there, Agent Booth?" one of the forensics asked.
"Yeah," I muttered, picking up my phone, calling the office. They picked up immediately.
"Hi, yeah, I need an ID on the victim at Market4U quickly. One of the victims says the victim worked as a cashier in the Washington Bank. She's hispanic, about 40 years old." I did not wait for a reply, and I walked back out to find Zooey sitting on the floor, eyes closed, still the look of terror on her face. I walked slowly over to her, but stayed on my feet.I knew that if the people working on the case saw me acting unprofessional, I would be taken off the case, and I did not want that. Zooey did not raise her gace to look at me, we simply stood there, mentally supproting each other. My phone rang, and I knew if would be the office calling.
"We'll be sending an id card to your phone. See if it's the victim." the guy said, and I grunted in approval, hung up and waited for the file to be sent. A small pling from my phone told me the file had arrived. I clicked the 'open' button, and the file opened.
"Magdalena Arreyez," I said quietly, and Zooey looked up at me.
"It that the woman?" she asked, voice shaking.
"I think that might be her." I was staring at the photo in the file, and it definately looked like our victim. "We need to check DNA and so on, but I am pretty sure that is her."
"Can I see the picture?" Zooey asked, and got slowly up on her feet. I knew I was not really supposed to show her the file, but I turned my phone around for her to see. Her face scrunched into a sob, and she nodded slowly. She bit her lower lip, which was quivering.
"Oh my god, that is her!" She shivered, and I placed my hand on her shoulder.
"Do you know somewhere we can go?" I asked, and she pointed in the direction of another office further down the hall.

We sat down on two chairs next to each other in a conferance room, and Zooey was still shaking. I took ott my suitjacket and placed it around her shoulders.
"The body reacts that way," I said shortly.
"What?" she asked, not understanding my comment.
"When you're in shock, you will get cold. It's a bodily reaction." She smiled slightly at me, before returning her gace to the table. This was not the right time, and definately not the right place, but I had to get my thoughts out in the open.
"Zooey, you're starting to remember."
"I know," she replied and let her chin relax on her hand.
"That's great!" I exclaimed, a little too enhusiastic for the circumstances.
"So something as bad as a murder needs to happen to jog my memory?" she sounded appalled, shameful even. I grabbed hold of her free hand with both my hands, cupping it, warming it. I knew where she was coming from, and I felt the same. That I could be that cruel, and be happy that the death of a woman had helped my girlfriend.
"I know it's wrong to think about, but maybe this is just the beginning. Maybe you will keep remembering from now on!" I smiled gently, a smile she returned.
"Maybe," she bit her lower lip again.
"I need to finish off here, get the body to the lab and everything. But why don't you ask Matt to come with you home, keep you company?" I suggested. She smiled again, and removed my suitjacket to hand it back, but I shook my head.
"No no, you just keep it. I'll come to your place after we get this done." She walked slowly out of the office, wearing my jacket, and I saw that she found Matt, and they left.

The clock was nearly twelve at night, and I was tired. Very tired. We had matched the victims fingerprints, and she once used to be Magdalena Arreyez, mother of four, wife and employee of the Washington Bank. It all made me so angry. This woman was born in America, she worked, paid her taxes, and she never did anything wrong during her lifetime. Why would anyone want to kill this woman, was beyond me! I decided to get some sleep, and headed to my car and drove to Zooeys place. I got to her apartmentbuilding, and greeted Frank, the lobbyist. I was drowsy, as the elevator stopped on her floor, and I walked over to her door, knocking three times.
"Come in, it's open." I came in, and found Zooey alone, sitting on the floor, resting her back against the coach. She was wrapped in a blanket, and under the blanket was my jacket. She was holding a cup of tea in her hands, and she was still shivering.
"Where's Matt?" I asked, and sat down on the couch.
"He left," she answered shortly. It was unnaturally quiet in her apartment, and I concluded that the thing that was missing was music.
"I thought he was staying here until I came."
"He had to go home to Wendy." She was so distant, not involved. I stood up, and walked over to the CD player, found the CD I knew was her very favourite and put it in. She cocked her head up when the tunes of 'New Born' by Muse filled the room. She closed her eyes, and a smile appeared on her lips.
"That's better," I said, and sat down on the floor beside her.
"You know me all too well, Booth," she said and let her head fall onto my shoulder. I took up one hand and brushed her hair.
"There was something missing, and I found that music was missing. Nothing better than your favourite CD to calm the nerves." She turned her face to look at me, still resting her chin on my shoulder.
"It just does not seem right."
"I know," I replied.
"No, well yes. It is not right that Magdalena Arreyez was murdered, but it just does not seem right." She was still looking intently at my face, and I gave her a nod to continue.
"First there is David Parker, who was one of the hostages during the robbery, now there is Magdalena Arreyez, who worked there. I see a pattern." She had a point, a point I had no idea I hadn't thought of myself.
"Oh god, Zooey. We might have a serialkillar on our hands."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry - this is a really bad chapter, but sometimes you need a little something slightly boring =P

WOW! 10 subscribers - 99 readers! Me so happy =D
xx