Status: Active

Suddenly There Is Love

Interrogation

Work passed slowly every day, and I was sure my workperfomance had decreased quite a bit since Wednesday two weeks ago. I was impatiently tapping my fingers on my computer, waiting for the result of a background-check I was running - the background-check of Zooey Davis. Any clues as to why she had forgotten all about the bankrobbery must be there - at least if it was a condition she was born with. It annoyed the hell out of of me, and work was the least of my worries these days: How could I make her remember?

I had felt quite like a stalker lately - I had followed her to her work, to see if she was acting any differently at all. No, not every day: Once! I had followed her once, so don't think of me as such a creep. I sighed heavily and stared with blank eyes at the screen. "Finding info..." was the writing on the screen. I couldn't sit anymore, and I rose too quickly from my chair, and ended up sending the chair right into the wall, making a lot of noise.
"Hey, Booth. What are ya doing?" The agent in the neighbour office screamed, while chuckling. He came walking in my door, with a giant smirk on his face. He looked smug - like he always did.
"Nothing Henderson. Nothing at all," I said and places my hands around my "Cocky" beltbuckle. I kept striding across the room, and Henderson was looking at me, unpatiently.
"Seriously dude, you need to stop! How about focusing on your work, ha?" I shook my head, sighing while still striding from one end of the office to the other.
"Adams is working on a case, I'm sure you can join him." Henderson said, but was quickly interrupted by my remark.
"Hey, I have a case! I'm waiting for the info right now, so would you leave me alone?" I know, I was being rude, but at that moment I couldn't really care less. Hendersen shrugged and went back to his office. That was when I heard the short "plin" coming from my computer. I ran back to my desk, and fell to my knees, too excited to bring my chair back to its proper place.

"Born in London, England - no you don't say! Moved here after graduating from Oxford - wow, nice degree. Marketing, hmm..." I was talking in a very low voice to myself. "Moved here three years ago, works at Market4U - wow, very intelligent name, that! Lives in the apartmentbuilding on Forth & Hyde, apartment 4H - fourth floor, apartment H that is.."
"Booth, you OK?" It was Henderson again. He must have heard me rambling to myself.
"Yeah," I said, slowly looking up at his face. He looked amused, which sort of made me angry. "What do you want, Henderson?" His smug face shone of pride.
"Found ya a case, dude," he said and threw a file in my general direction. "You better get going, they found a dead guy in Cleveland Park. I thought you might enjoy this one!" Henderson turned and left. Before I even opened my casefile, I downloaded and saved the background-check for Zooey. I put my feet on my desk, showing off todays selection of socks: bright blue and red striped ones. After I skimmed through the casefile, I threw my suitjacket back on and left for the scene of the crime.

I drove quickly, wanting to do my job properly, and arrived at the scene.
"So, what have you got?" I asked the policeofficer who was standing there, waiting for me.
"Well, a dead person, sir," the officer said, and I looked at him dumbfounded.
"Wow, really? I've never seen one of those," I said and chuckled, and patted the poor guy on the arm, before I walked towards the body that lay under a tree. The smell was disgusting, but I was after all used to it. The FBI coroner was there, and I took out my notebook and pen, and got ready to write.
"So, what can you tell me?" I asked. The blond female coroner looked up at me with dark brown eyes.
"Male, about 30 years of age, African American. Seems like he died of blunt force trauma," she said and winked at me. I gave her one of my crooked smiles and wrote down what she said.
"Any idea what the murderweapon might be?" I asked her, and again she winked at me.
"What does the wink mean? You know what the murderweapon is?" I asked and looked at her unpatiently awaiting a response.
"No, I don't know what the weapon is. The wink was somewhat a weak attempt at flirting." She stood up and walked over to stand by my side, and nudged me on the ribs, and I flinched in pain.
"What?" she yelped.
"Ooooh, ouch. Broken ribs, not yet completely healed, I'm afraid," I said, and grabbed my side, hoping the pain would pass soon.
"I'm so sorry," she said, and patted my shoulder, trying to steady me. "I really am." After a few seconds of intense pain, the pain ceased, and I straightened out my body and smiled at her. That was when I felt a little pressure on my shoulder, and the blond pushed me down to her height and bent over towards my face and whispered into my ear: "Let me make it up to you. I promise you'll have fun!" I was dumbfounded, and did not know how to react. Sure, she was a pretty young woman, but the respect I had felt for her quickly evaporated at her request.
"Sorry, but no thank you. Maybe some other time." I shrunk my eyes in a silent nod and smiled at her. The flirty look on her face did not disappear, but she went back to work with no protests what so ever. She stopped hitting on me, besides the fact that she slapped me lightly on my rear-end when I turned to leave.

One could not say that it did not feel good to be hit on by a beautiful blonde, but my workperformance had been lousy the last couple of weeks, and I needed to nail this case. I was in my car heading back to the FBI, and I was going to interrogate several witnesses, or people who had been in the vicinity during the murder. I was getting tired, and while walking towards the interrogation room I thought of the lovely idea of taking some time off. I smiled as I imagined myself sitting in a stool out in the sunshine somewhere tropical. "Sweet," I whispered to myself as I got the info he needed on the first witness.

Three interrogations later - I felt tired bored and I really could use a beer. I got hold of the file of the next witness, but didn't bother reading it before entering the room. A brunette was sitting with her back turned against him, and he walked briskly to the other side of the table, still not looking at the woman.
"So..." I said, and opened the file: and the name Zooey Davis caught me immediately. I quickly glanced up, and saw THE Zooey Davis sitting there, twining her thumbs.
"Zooey?" I said, and felt the confusion take over me. "What are you doing here?" She looked up, and the look of recognition replaced the fear that had been there seconds earlier.
"Hey - you are the guy from the hospital," she said, and a gorgeous smile was plastered onto her face. Her shoulders relaxed immediately, and she placed her hands on the table.
"Yeah, that would be me. Why are you here?" I asked. Stupid question, really, because she was obviously a witness to the murder, or she had been seen at the scene of the crime around the time the man was murdered.
"Well, I was out for my evening jog, when I felt this awful smell. I did not look for the source of the smell, but I knew something was wrong when the FBI called and wanted to see me. I have not done anything, I swear!" She crossed her heart with her finger, and giggled. She was absolutely beautiful, and I was dumbstruck for a few seconds before I returned to reality. She looked so much better now, two weeks after the robbery, and she looked happy and well. I smiled at her, and I was sure I was looking like a fool. She kept looking at me with her big oceancoloured eyes, waiting for me to say something, and I finally decided to talk.
"Yeah, ehm... Yes, you were seen in the park around the time the body was found..." she interrupted me.
"A body?" she looked scared, and I saw that her whole body shuddered in fear.
"Yes, a man was found murdered, and the witness who found the body saw you jogging past the scene right around that time." There was silence. Zooey was waiting for me to continue speaking.
"Well, and.. ehm.. We needed to talk to you about that.. ehm.. At what time were you out jogging, and at exactly what time did you jog in the park?" She turned her head in thought and places to fingers on her nose, tapping slightly. She bit her lower lip and looked intently on the wall.
"I think..." she started, still in the same thinking position. "I think it was around 9 o'clock in the afternoon. And as I said, I noticed a bad smell, but I did not turn to see where it came from. There is a sewer somewhere around there, so I thought the smell might be from there."

It took a few seconds before I said anything, but when I finally talked, it had absolutely nothing to do with the case.
"How are you? Are you OK? No bad injuries from falling down the stairs?" She shrugged and smiled.
"Thank you for asking. No, I'm fine. Of course it is a little weird that I can not remember anything since the fall." My eyes opened wide, and I was hoping she would say that she knew me, but she simply could not remember.
"Which is weird, seing as I fell down the stairs at work over two months ago. Everything is blank. Can you imagine my shock when I realised we were in the month of July, not May?" she looked away, but laughed. Her laughter caught me immediately, and I had to laugh too. Our eyes met for a second, which seemed like ours. Her eyes were so big, and beautiful, and the colour was hard to describe. It looked like the ocean, the sea, and it was absolutely gorgeous. She was gorgeous! I couldn't look away, I didn't want to look away. Her face was perfectly stuctured. Her cheekbones were a little too visible, which was something I understood: she was after all from Europe. Her skin was fair, yet a little tanned. Her shoulders were a little too wide compared to the other women I had been with, but I liked it. I didn't show that I was looking at her breastarea, but I was. No need to explain, all I need to say is that I felt an excitement I rarely felt anymore.
"You never did say you were an FBI-agent," Zooey said, and broke the silence. Her pearly white teeth made her smile all the more beautiful.
"No, guess I didn't," I managed to say.
"You never even told me your name," Zooey continued and leaned a little closer to me. We were still divided by the table, which made it impossible for me to reach her, but I felt this sudden urge to embrace her.
"I'm Special Agent Seeley Booth, but please, please: call me Booth."
"Booth it is," she said. "Anything else you need? I will of course cooperate fully if there is anything else the FBI might need from me."
We both stood up at the same time, and she gave me her hand for me to shake. I grabbed hold of her hand and shook it, and I was amazed by how soft she felt.
"Thank you for your cooperation, Zooey.. ehm.. Miss Davis," I stumbled over my own words, feeling nothing else but stupid.
"Zooey," she repeated. "No need to be so polite, so.. Zooey." She released my hand, and walked towards the door. I sprinted to the door as well, and let her out. As she walked, the turned her head and waved at me. I waved back, and smiled sheepishly. That was when a thought hit me!

"Zooey, hold up!" I jogged up to the place she had stopped, and she smiled her pretty smile at me. "Do you think, maybe we could get lunch together?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 5 for you all! I have a couple more chapter saved on my computer, but I won't be posting them just yet ;) Please comment - much appreciated =D