The fallen's lament

part 3

The tall woman named Autumn giggled, “You too, Rose. I see your friend has her eyes on a few of my works – and hello, Katie, I see you’re as hyper as ever.”

Katie smiled broadly as Rose turned to Sophia. “Wonderful, aren’t they? Autumn here is a master of silk, and orange isn’t your colour.”

Sighing as she stopped reaching for the black and orange shirt, Sophia turned to Rose. “Then what can I buy?”

Autumn smiled as she reached above her head and pulled down an elegant blouse and skirt, both a radiant crimson red with a purple trim, which she handed to Sophia. Autumn said, “Try this, to match your face,” and Rose couldn’t help but laugh as Sophia turned the exact same colour as the blouse.

Autumn smiled at Sophia. “You’re obviously a friend of Rose’s. Take them – they’re yours – just promise me you’ll wear them now.”

Rose smiled at Sophia as she thanked Autumn. Rose then directed her to the changing room and turned back to Autumn. “That was kind of you. Last time you gave something out it was because you were inspired by our old Everseer’s icy heart.”

Autumn chuckled. “She’s an interesting character, and I hope those clothes still fit you. So, what else can I interest you in today?”

After a few minutes of trading coins for clothes for the family and David, Sophia slowly emerged from the changing room, blushing brightly as Rose, Autumn and Katie all clapped. “You look wonderful, Sophia.”

Looking down shyly and turning to Autumn, Sophia spoke eventually. “Thank you, it’s wonderful.”

Autumn merely chuckled. “You’re welcome, dear. Say, Rose, young –
Sophia was it? – she’ll need a place to earn her keep in this village. If nothing else I could use an extra pair of hands around here.”

Rose suddenly looked shocked. “I forgot about that – yes, thank you, Autumn – have a good day, and thank you.”

As they turned and waved, Autumn waved back, Sophia wondering what Rose had bought for the others. Rose noticed her concern but did not say anything as she guided Sophia towards a new stall, this one of leatherwork, boots, shoes and high heels. Katie was ecstatic, already pointing out a pair of dark crimson boots to Sophia.

As they approached, a thin, dark haired man turned towards them, smiling brightly as he greeted them with a cheery voice. “Rose, my dear, so nice to see you again. That leather and cloth you gave me has been put to great use!”

Rose simply bowed her head and answered back, “Thank you, Tobias; I trust the kids are well?” The conversation continued between Rose and Tobias as Katie showed Sophia round the stall, showing her the detail on each and every item on offer. Tobias, seeing Sophia’s interest in the dark Crimson Boots, walked over and picked them up, and placing them in her hands said, “You never know if they are right for you until you try them on.”

Sophia smiled broadly, much to Rose’s surprise. Sophia ran into the changing room, coming out a few minutes later, the boots shining on her pale skin, and Rose seemed to know what Sophia was thinking. “How much, Tobias?”

Tobias, at Rose’s words, seemed offended. “I could never charge you, Rose, not after what you’ve done for me! Take them; just make sure that you get your friend a job here before she’s killed.”

Rose simply sighed at this, nodding to Tobias and handing him the coins for the boots as she beckoned Sophia to come along. “Where are we going now, Rose?”

Sophia seemed keen to Rose – too keen. She knew she had to find Sophia and David an occupation soon. “Sophia, my dear, we’re going home now. You and David have a decision to make.”

Once they had returned to the home and everyone was in their new clothes, David now dressed in a lilac tunic with dark blue trousers, his shoes an onyx black, Rose sat them both down in front of her as she turned to face the flames. “You two now have a choice to make: you can eit her choose to start your new life here, and find an occupation so that the people here will accept you, or you can choose to venture on deeper into the forest, without anyone but yourselves.”

David and Sophia turned to each other, gripping each others hand tightly David turned to Rose. “Well, the only thing I know is carpentry.”

Rose seemed confused. “Carpentry?”

David looked astonished as he nervously answered, “It’s… using materials to make rugs and floorboard covers, to provide comfort for people who sit, lie or stand on the floor or seats.”

Rose and Howard smiled as Rose answered, “The village could use one of those. I can take you up to the village hall tomorrow, and what about you, Sophia, what would you like to do?”

Sophia held David tightly as she replied, “I would like to work with Autumn to learn about tailoring.”

Howard stepped forward as he added, “And once you both have been accepted, we can get you a place near ours.”

Katie suddenly squeaked and whispered something to her mother; as she did Rose’s face turned pale. Standing up straight she said, “Katie had a point – you two will both need to learn how to fight in order to stay here, you’ll need to pick a trainer, and it can’t be me, at least I don’t think so.”

Howard grinned. “My time to shine! I just happen to be the weapon smith of this village! Well, one of them anyway.”

Katie bounced up and down as she added, “And I’m his apprentice, Daddy’s teaching me everything!”

As Katie finished speaking however, there came a hollow knock on the door. Rose calmly walked over and opened it. There stood the Everseer, his war-staff perched on his back strap. “Rose, I’m to understand that the young couple wish to stay here?” – He turned to David and Sophia – “The council have already been assembled. It’s now or never.”

Rose was glaring at the Everseer. “They are not ready, Everseer. Call them off for tomorrow, when we will all be ready.”

The Everseer chuckled before he replied, “I’m afraid I can’t allow that, Rose; no one is allowed to prepare. So it has been for ages past, so it is now.”

Rose seemed ready to punch the Everseer as she turned to the couple. “I’m afraid he’s right, we have to go.”

David started, “But…” though Rose quickly cut him off. “Now!”

Jumping out of their skin the couple quickly arrived at the door, as The Everseer waited for them to pass him. Rose had made it clear she was coming. As Rose walked out of her home with the couple, the Everseer closed the door and walked with them straight to the marble stone building in the centre of the village.

Sophia had now sunk back into her frail and frightened self; David was worried too, but he kept a brave face; while Rose never took her eyes off the Everseer, a look of rage back in her face.

As they neared the doors of the marble building, the Everseer stopped them. “Once you go in there, you will face trail by the council…. Good luck.” Turning abruptly as he finished, he walked away quickly, not looking back.

Once the Everseer was out of sight Rose hurried them along into the ice cold building where a group of twelve masked figures sat in front of them. Rose stepped ahead of David and Sophia as they entered the centre of the room. “I would like to request one thing before we begin” – the masked figures merely nodded – “I have sheltered and fed this couple for the last day. They have seen what happens here, and I know how they can help us. I would like to request that if they do not pass this trail, that their lives be spared and sent in the direction of the nearest town.”
♠ ♠ ♠
enjoy!