One Day in Your Life

Am I Dreaming?

As I stepped out of my car onto the sidewalk I couldn't believe how quickly I was becoming a normal human being.

I stood outside of Gavins door preparing for a fans to come up and bombard me with a million questions. Nothing. I sighed in relief as he opened and pulled me into hug.

"What did you call me for?" I asked in which I sat down on his couch.
"I can't call just to hang out? Jeez." He defended as I snickered.
"I'm sorry, it's just most of the time when you call you want something."

He got up and went to the kitchen as I followed behind.

"Well Miss normal, I don't want anything, but I have something you want." He handed me a glass of water.
"And what might that be?" I took a sip.
"News. I heard a certain someone is going on tour soon and they need some dancers." He smiled.
"Mind telling me who that certain person is?" I asked.
He smiled, "Take a wild guess."
"Gavin," I glared at him,"You know how much I hate guessing.
"Okay fine I'll give you a hint." He then did a spin and grabbed his crotch.

My eyes went wide.

"Michael Jackson?" I questioned.

He smiled and nodded once again.

I yelled extremely loud and Gavin backed away holding his ears.

"Damn girl, don't make me deaf now."
I walked up to him grabbing onto his shoulders, "Do you not understand?"
"Understand what?"
"Michael Fucking Jackson, my inspiration, is going on tour and having auditions!" I exclaimed.

I spent the next hour with Gavin getting information on when and where the auditions were being held. Auditions are on Sunday. Today is Saturday which means, Oh my god! The auditions are tomorrow!

I went home running into the house and told my parents about what was going on.

"Honey, are you sure?"My mom spoke, "I mean this Micheal Jackson we're talking about, not some local artist.I thought you were trying to get away from fame."
"Mom, I wanna dance, not steal Michaels spotlight. I've wanted this for so long and now's my chance."
She gave me a light smile, "If it's what you want to do, then go for it."
I hugged her and went to bed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't sleep. I pulled the blankets off of me and checked the time. 3 in the morning. I groaned and sat up rubbing my eyes, as I tried to get used to the dark.

I was so worried about the auditions. What if I messed up and Michael thought I wasn't taking the audition seriously? What if I was cut right away? I would be embarrassed and bummed out.

I walked downstairs to see the kitchen light on.
"Dad?"
"Hey Cass, what are you doing down here?"
"Couldn't sleep." I shrugged getting some water. "What about you?"
"Couldn't get no sleep either. Are you nervous about the auditions?"
"I guess you can say that." I pulled a chair up next to him.

He put a hand on my shoulder, "You'll make it. I promise."
"How can you promise that?"
"I just know that you will make it, but if you don't go to sleep now you'll actually end up looking you came out of Thriller tomorrow."
I laughed, "Goodnight dad."

Finally, I closed my eyes and fell asleep. The next thing I knew my alarm went off, I buried my face in my pillow and screamed.

I took a quick shower, brushed my teeth, ate breakfast, and I was out the door.

I couldn't help but feel nervous. There was more then one hundred girls here in this room. All of them were gorgeous and I felt intimidated.

"Alright Ladies, each of you are going to be given a number so if you would please line up by the wall we will begin." A man yelled.

I lined up against the wall as they started passing numbers out. The man reached me. Number 52.

Once again the man spoke loudly, "We're going to have you ladies go into groups so please be patient."

It felt like hours until I was finally put in the group to audition.

"If we call your number during your routine please exit the stage." A man said.

We began dancing as he called orders out to us. Numbers being called every minute, one girls dream shattering with hearing that number called.

"Number 52."

I just got cut. I couldn't believe it. I worked so hard.

As I got my stuff I heard someone run up to me? The man handing out numbers.

"Ma'am, why'd you leave?"
"He called my number."
"He changed his mind, follow me."
I walked behind confused.

He walked up to a man wearing a coat and whispered something to him.

The man walked closer to me, "Aren't you Cassidy Davis?"
I sighed, "Yes. Why?"
He took off his glasses and held out his hand, "I'm Michael."

My smile grew wide as I realized that I was standing in front of my idol.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.
"Last time I checked I came to audition." I laughed lightly.
"I know that. I meant to say why are you auditioning to be a backup dancer?" He motioned for me to follow him into a little office like room.
"You're in a great band, what are you doing here?"
I sat down on a chair,"I wanted to get away from it all."
He looked at me with a confused look.
"I can't stand not having any privacy, I want to be treated like a normal person. I want to live a normal life, have real friends and dance."

He replied with a simple, "Oh."
"If that's all you needed to ask then I better go." I stood up to leave.
"Wait." He grabbed my arm, "Where are you going?"
"Home." I opened the door and began walking.

I knew he wouldn't understand. He likes the fame.

As I walked out into the parking lot I once again heard someone run after me.
"Cassidy!" He yelled.
I turned and saw Michael, "Did I forget something?"
"I'll be your friend."
"What?" I asked
"You said you wanted real friends. I'll be that real friend."
He smiled, "I can use a real friend too."

I nodded,"Thank you Michael."
"Can I get your number?" He asked as I scribbled my number down on a piece of paper, "I'll call you." He said putting the paper in his pocket.
"Alright."
He opened the door for me.

"Thanks." I said once again.
"You know you say 'thanks' a lot. Hopefully you speak more then that when I call."
"Hopefully." I laughed as I got into my car.

Once home I sat on the couch and thought about today. I woke up, auditioned for Michael Jackson, got cut, and Michael asked for my number and said he wanted to be my real friend.

I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Nothing. Today was as real as it gets.