Keys To My Heart

marc

"But, Marc," I whined as the second oldest Staal brother dragged me over to my front door. "I don't want to go outside in the pouring rain."

"Oh, come on, Dani. What's a little rain?" he replied, pushing open the door and stepping out into the openness of my front yard. "It's not like you're going to melt. Besides, I'm still here, aren't I?" he finished as he held his arms out, catching the rain drops on his palms.

"You are one strange boy, you know that?" I told him before I set down a piece of leftover cake from my tenth birthday yesterday and leaped off of the porch and moved so I was standing next to Marc.

"I told you you'd be fine," he said, earning himself an eye roll from me.

We stood there, drenched with water for a few minutes, not doing anything. It wasn't exactly fun, and I had started to wonder why I agreed to go come here with him.

"Is this it? Is this why you forced me to come out here with you, to just stand in the middle of a storm?"

"No, come with me," Marc responded as he grabbed my and led me to the road that split our houses apart from each other.

As soon as we reached the pavement, he let go of my hand. Then he sat down with his legs stretched out in front of him before he looked up at me. "Are you going to sit down, or what?" he asked me, patting the space next to him.

"But what if a car comes?" I asked worriedly.

"Then we get up and run into one of our yards," Marc explained with a shrug. "We're practically the only ones who live on this street, anyway."

"Okay," I agreed with a light nod, taking a seat next to him.

A grin appeared on his face. "Lay down," he ordered in a soft tone. I did as he instructed, laying back right beside him. I found myself smiling as soon as my head had touched the pavement, sucking in a deep breath then exhaling.

I didn't think I was going to enjoy laying in the middle of a somewhat deserted road in the pouring down rain, but I did. I liked how the little droplets of water felt when they had softly pelted my face and my arms and legs. The sound that the rain made when it landed on the leaves of trees or the windows of our houses.. Something about it was just so calming, I suppose. I liked how we were the only ones that had even bothered to venture outside, too. People often missed the beauty of rain because they didn't want to sit around soaking wet or take a chance of their hair going back to its natural state. My mom, in particular, didn't care for the 'wormy' smell. None of those things had ever really bothered me, though, and I wondered why I hadn't thought to sit out in the rain before now. If it wasn't for Marc, I might not have ever experienced this.

"It's so simple, don't you think?" Marc asked me after a while.

"You feel it, too?"

"Yeah, it makes me feel.. almost safe, you know?" he said out loud.

"You make me feel safe," I mumbled, barely reaching a whisper, hoping that he wouldn't be able to me hear me through all of the rain.


Marc had shown me that you didn't need to always be in a rush or constantly doing something, that sometimes the little things in life were the things that could make you the happiest.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D Thanks for reading!