Keys To My Heart

jordan

I stared at him for the longest time, completely shocked at what he had just done. "I can't believe you just did that!"

"Did what?" he asked as if nothing had just happened.

"Dumped the whole bowl of popcorn on me. I wanted to eat it, not wear it," I reminded him in.

"Relax, I was just having fun. We can always pop another bag if you want," he suggested. "You have a shit ton of popcorn in your hood, by the way," Jordan informed me, using both of his hands and lifting the hood of my jacket over my head then smearing the pieces of popcorn all over my hair.

"Yes, that is exactly how I like my popcorn--buttered and tangled in my hair." He just looked at me. "I hate you," I said, my face expressionless, even though it was a complete lie.

"How about you go make another bag of popcorn, and I'll pick out the movie, sound good?"

"Fine," I said, getting up to walk into the Staal's kitchen. "But it better not be a scary one. You know how much I hate those."

I made another bag of popcorn then dumped it in a bowl before returning to the family room. When I looked at the TV, I saw the words 'The Village' across it. My eyes went wide. "I told you I didn't want to watch a scary movie!"

Jordan shrugged. "I know. But it just came out, and I wanted to watch it."

"No, it came out on your birthday--seven days ago. I would know, I got it for you. And if you were the best friend that I thought you were, you would have watched it then, with your brothers, and without me."

"We always have movie night the day after you birthday, you know that. It's been sixteen years straight. I saved it so we could watch it together. None of this stuff is real anyway," he told me as he motioned to the TV.

"Jordan Staal, you know that I am absolutely terrified of scary movies. I am not watching it, pick out something else."

"Please? For your bestest friend in the whole wide world?" he asked, giving me the puppy dog look.

"You're not my only best friend, but fine," I gave in like I always did. I didn't have a backbone, I could never say no, and that to me, was pathetic. But I couldn't help it. "You can't laugh when I scream, though, okay?"

"Easy enough," he said, pressing play.

We kind of missed the middle of the movie because Jordan came up with this bright idea to toss pieces of our popcorn at his fish tank and see how many we could get into the water. I lost track of how many I had thrown in, but I'm pretty sure that Jordan won. When we ran out of popcorn, we turned back to the movie.

It had completely scared me to the point where I was afraid to get up and go to the bathroom. I tugged the blanket that was wrapped around my body over my head numerous times so I wouldn't be able to see the creature that was killing people in the village, too. Jordan laughed at me every time, even when I would let out a scream and jump into his arms.

"How scary would that be if there was a line of red blood on your front door tomorrow morning..," Jordan said, referring to the movie. I gave his arm a good punch.

He got up from his spot on the couch next to me and started walking away. I asked him where he was going.

"To get something to drink," he responded.

I stayed where I was and watched the end credits before something--a huge thing covered in a red blanket, resembling the creature from The Village--appeared in front of the TV out of nowhere. I let out a shrill scream, my heart beating a lot quicker than it should have been, as I pulled the blanket over my head and dove face first into couch.

"Dani? What the hell is- holy shit!" I heard Eric exclaim as he entered the room. "Jordan, what the hell, man?" he said, and I assumed that whoever was under the blanket was Jordan and that he had stopped hiding underneath of it. I slid the blanket off of myself and looked at the two of them only to find their eyes resting on my horrified body.

"You scared the shit out of her," Eric told his brother as he came over and wiped away my tears. I hadn't known that I was crying, or else I would have never let any of them see me do so.

"I'm sorry," I sniffled through a little laugh, wiping away the rest of the wetness on my cheeks. "I'm sixteen-years-old and crying over a blanket my best friend's head."

"You don't have to apologize," he said to me. "He should be the one apologizing."

Jordan had apologized and told me that he never wanted to freak me out that bad, just give me a little spook was all. After Eric was satisfied with the apology, he left Jordan and I alone and went back to whatever he was doing.

"Can we watch Spider-Man 2 now?" I asked Jordan as he got up to take out The Village.

"Anything for you," he replied, taking out the Spider-Man disc and sticking it in the DVD player.


Jordan was always the daredevil of the four Staals, the one who wasn't afraid to go out on a limb, and if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have ever let go and been my real self.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been watching football all day.. and it's just not hockey. :/
Like I had time to make a sandwich and eat it and only 5 or 6 plays went by.
I would've missed half a period just looking for a piece of cheese.