Fallen

Chapter One

Once upon a time there was a beautiful Princess. Her life was perfect and she had almost everything she ever wanted. Unfortunately, the King was protective of the Princess, so he locked her away in her bedroom tower. The Princess spent all of her days in her tower, looking enviously down at the world below. The King would make daily visits to the Princess’ bedroom to make sure she was still there and safe. Everyday the Princess would look down to the valley at the foot of her castle and watch the boy who lived next door. The boy was very handsome and he worked for his family, who owned a farm next to her tower. The Princess fell in love with the boy, and watched lustfully as he worked the day away. The Princess would dream of life with the boy and how they would run away together and be married. She would be free to live her life as she pleased with her love, if only she could escape her father’s protection. One day, as she was daydreaming at her window as per usual, her maid came in to tidy the Princess’ bedroom. She sighed longingly as she watched him tend to the animals.

“You dream too much, your Highness,” the maid murmured, “Your head stays in the clouds while it should be down here, tending to your royal duties.”

“What duties, maid? I have no duties,” the Princess scoffed scornfully, “I sit in my tower, all alone, each day. What else shall I do but dream?”

The maid clucked her tongue disapprovingly and continued to tidy. The Princess looked away from the window and watched, uninterested, as a servant-boy brought her daily tea.

“Your tea, Majesty,” he said quietly and bowed from the room.

She pushed her tea aside and looked pensively at the boy at the foot of her tower once more.

The next day the Princess awoke from a divine dream, and moaned at her misfortune of waking up during such a perfect dream as such. For you see, the boy had visited her dreams once more, she dreamt of escaping her tower and running to him. He swept her up in his loving embrace and looked deep into her emerald eyes.

“Run away with me, my love, and you shall be ensnared by your wicked father no more,” he had whispered.

But unfortunately, she had awoken, and was faced with the bleak reality of being forever trapped in her bedroom tower. She dreamt of nothing more than escaping her tower and being loved by the boy for the rest of time, but she could not think of a way to flee.
“Oh, how deeply I have fallen in love,” she muttered morosely.

Her tower had one window, which faced the boy’s home, and one door with a window in it, so her father could verify that she remained in her bedroom when he passed by. The door was constantly locked from the outside, and only her father, her maid, and her servant-boy held possession of the key. She settled herself in front of the window and thought to herself.

“If only I could flee through my window,” she thought, “Then I could run straight to my love, and be free.”