Fallen

Chapter Four

The boy realized the door was locked and began walking towards the Princess, a livid expression overtaking his handsome features.

“Please help me!” she cried once more, her fists never ceasing their drum-like beating on the door.

She heard the door click and creak open. She forced it open a little bit more and forced her body through the opening. She slammed the boor back in its frame and locked it again. She turned to see her savior and saw her maid standing beside her, a disappointed look on her face.

“Oh, thank you, maid. You have saved my life, my dear maid.”

“What were you thinking, Highness? Oh, I’m so glad you are out of harm's way,” the maid’s look of anger and grief melted into relief.

“Your father would be enraged at the news of your departure,” the maid said.

“Please don’t tell him!” the Princess cried, “I am home and I am safe, so please don’t tell him! That news will be the end of me!”

The maid sighed deeply and placed her hand on her head.

“I will not inform the King, but be assured, if you even think of trying this once more, I will be the first to tell him,” the maid said menacingly.

“Oh, thank you! Thank you, maid!”

“Now go back up to your bedroom swiftly. The King should be coming to look for you shortly!”

The Princess rushed back up the staircase, her maid in tow. The hallway outside of the Princess’ bedroom was deserted, thankfully, and the maid promptly unlocked the door and ushered the bedraggled Princess inside.

“Clean yourself up, quickly now, or the King will surely be suspect,” the maid whispered then closed and locked the door.

The Princess quickly ran a brush through her hair and changed out of her unkempt dress. Just as she finished buttoning her new dress the King came strolling past her bedroom door. She heard the lock click and the King’s face appeared in the doorway.

“How are you today, my sweet?” he asked, looking her over.

“Very well, father. And yourself?”

“Very well,” he smiled.

He kissed her forehead and departed from her room. The Princess let out a deep sigh of relief and sat back on her bed.

“What a strange day,” she murmured.

Her bedroom door clicked once more and the Princess glanced up. Her servant-boy had brought her daily tea, and placed it down on her bedside table. The Princess looked at the boy’s face for the first time and felt her heart swell. The boy had dark hair that went down to cover a small amount of his large emerald eyes. They smiled at each other and the boy left her room. The Princess sighed longingly.

“Oh,” she whispered, “how deeply I have fallen in love.”