‹ Prequel: The Summer Scene
Sequel: Fall

Growing Up Might Bring Us Down

Pick Up

We were in Eric’s car, my sobs coming to an end, forcing us to sit in a silent car ride; Eric probably didn’t know what to say, or not want to say the wrong thing so he chose to keep quiet. As the silence washed over me, my eyes red and puffy, my face tear stained, I couldn’t help but wonder about all the things that do and have had happened while I’ve been away.

I broke the silence by asking, “How long have you known?” My voice sounded hoarse and tired from all the crying I have done.

Eric kept his gaze on the road ahead, “This is the first one that I was aware of.” He answered honestly.

Though that was the honest truth, it didn’t help much. “Why didn’t you try and stop him?” I asked again in wonderment, turning to face him full on.

“I, I don’t know.” He stuttered out, obviously regretting letting John do this to me and/or becoming nervous under my stare. “But, I’m sorry, Nattie.” He apologized sincerely. “I hate seeing you cry.” He added as an afterthought, and it made me crack a small smile; at least someone cares.

“I forgive you, Halvo.”
________________________________________________________________________

We were finally back at Eric and John’s place. Eric, being the wonderful guy that he is, walked me all the way up to my room, where I just sat on the edge of my bed and looked at the floor. Everything reminded me of him.

“You want me to stay?” Eric asked, noticing my uncomfortable state.

“No, you can go back.” I replied, picking my head up, my eyes connecting with his for a moment. “Thanks though.” I tried to force a smile, but it wasn’t willing to form.

“You’re welcome.” He replied. “If you need anything you know where I’ll be.”

“Thanks.” I replied blandly, turning my attention back to the wooden floor.

He smiled at me before turning on his heels and heading back to that dreaded party. “What are friends for?” he asked rhetorically, causing me to let a small smirk take position on top of my lips. At least someone cares about me.

After sitting and staring at the same place for many minutes I picked up my phone, and dialed an all too familiar number.

“Ross,” I spoke into the receiver once I heard him pick up his cell, “can you come and get me?” I asked desperately.

“Natalie?” I could tell that he was sleeping right when I called him because his confused voice sounds a little disoriented. “You’re here?” he reworded his question, but before I had the chance to answer he spoke hastily, “Where are you?”

“The house.” I didn’t need to say more than that, he knew me all too well.

He became more attentive, “Is something wrong?” he questioned, but then thought better of it. “I’ll be there in a few.” He agreed.

“Thanks.” I replied, closing my phone shut.

I watched Ross’s car pull up into the driveway from my spot on the pathway, and once he came to a stop I ran to the passenger side only carrying my phone and wallet.

I was buckled up when he turned to his right to ask me, “What’s wrong?”

Staring out the windshield, I took in a deep breath and calmly breathed out, “I caught your brother cheating on me.”

“Where-“ he started to begin but I cut him off.

“At Max’s party.” I answered his unfinished question. “I don’t think he saw me.” I said a little lower, turning my head so I could see him through the corner of my eye.

Ross extended his hand to my thigh, in a caring manner and replied, “He doesn’t deserve you, Nattie.”

“Damn straight.”

“You want to stay over?” he asked, changing the subject.

I nodded my head.

He started the car and we were off to the house where it all started. But at least I have Ross. I should have chosen him over that jackass…
♠ ♠ ♠
2/2
Sorry I didn't put it out when I said I was going to. I stayed over my friends house for two days, and with that came some conflicts that I have to sort out. Not good.

so, yeah COMMENT

Love you,
Dominique