Accidentally in Love

Challenge

“So far the Challenges have leaned toward puzzles, which are your strong point and our athleticism. I’m thinking that these last two might be different. Even if we lose this one, we are still going to the Final Challenge, but the Finale will be tough. I’m sure it will have puzzles, races, and maybe even swimming.” Kenny was saying as they walked down the path toward their Challenge.

I listened carefully and began to get my mind in that competitive state that I would need to be in. I took deep even breaths to calm myself. When we reached the Challenge starting line we began to stretch, speaking lowly so only we could hear each other.

The councilor in charge called the teams up and explained the rules.

“Are you ready?” She asked. Both teams nodded. “Ready, set, GO!”

Kenny and I took off down the narrow trail, just a little ahead of the other team. It wasn’t long before we came to the first Challenge. There were tires stacked high and pushed together tight. The point was to squeeze through.

I hit first and bounced back, falling on my ass. Kenny laughed. “It’s the plastic wrap prank all over again.”

I shot him a dark look and got back up. “Push me through Kenny. Quit standing there and grinning like an idiot.”

By now the other team had caught up and the guy did exactly what I did and this time Kenny and I burst out laughing. Kenny started to push me through, but it was still difficult. I felt as if I was being born again, not that I know what it felt like anyway. I fell through on the other side and began to pull Kenny. Kenny was half way through when the other teams’ girl fell through. I pulled just a little bit harder. Finally Kenny made it through, but he fell on me. I could breathe as all my air was pushed out of my body. I began to gasp for breath. Kenny got off me and pulled me to my feet, but I still wasn’t able to catch my breath. Kenny picked me up and threw me over his shoulder and ran down the path.

Kenny didn’t put me down until we were at the next Challenge. We had to jump from a thirty foot cliff, onto this gliding board, and surf it to then end and jump off and swim. I made sure I had my breath before Kenny and I joined hands and counted to three. On three we jumped to together and when the board started to move I began to wobble. I let out a scream as I fell, bringing Kenny along with me. We hit the water, hard.

“Shit!” I said as I hit the surface. Everything was going wrong with me today. But swimming was one of my strong points too. Kenny had already started swimming and I easily kept pace with him.

The other team had hit the glider and rode it down with ease and was ahead of us for the first time. Kenny and I kicked it into gear and picked up the pace. They may have had a better start, but they didn’t have the endurance that we had.

They hit the shore about five seconds before we did. From here on out, it was a straight sprint down to the finish. Kenny and I were exhausted, yes, but we kicked it into another high gear. I was hoping I didn’t trip again as I ran harder than I’d ever run before. The girl on the other team was starting to tire. At one point she actually stopped to catch her breath, which resulted in her partner screaming at her.

As I crossed the finish line I fell to the floor, panting and smiling. Kenny smiled down at me and lay next to me. We looked at each other for a heartbeat and then Kenny kissed me gently. We got back up and shook hands with the team who still looked pretty pissed off.

“Ugh, Kenny I’m tired. I don’t think I could walk back,” I said.

Kenny laughed and gave me a piggy back ride back to the cabin.

He put me on my bed and took a shower first while I rested. I must have fallen asleep because I awoke to Kenny gently shaking me awake.

“Hey, go shower and I’ll give you a piggy back ride to the Dining Hall.”

I nodded but had to have him pull me up. He already had my water running so all I had to do was lock the door and strip down. The hot water woke me up and I quickly did what I had to and got out, rapping a towel around myself and opening the door. I looked into Kenny’s room to see him lying on his bed tossing a ball up into the air. He looked at me and I turned toward my door and opened my towel so that he couldn’t see anything and laughed at the look on his face. I shook my butt and ran in my room squealing as he got off his bed and tried to chase me. I quickly locked the door and giggled as I heard him on the other side.

I quickly got dress and opened my door. Kenny stood just on the other side, wait for me. We walked to the Dining Hall together, hand in hand.