Status: Finished!!

California Girl's

Chapter 1

“This fucking sucks,” Grayson mumbled as she climbed her way through her tangled sheets and comforter so she could shut the alarm clock off. Once she finally got an arm free she slammed her hand down on top of the small square box that was producing the incredibly loud ringing noise.

Grayson wasn’t used to being up before noon, which is specifically why her shifts didn’t start until one, but she didn’t have much of a choice now.

She grumbled and cursed to herself as she stumbled over to her dresser and grabbed out a pair of running shorts and an old high school t-shirt and quickly pulled them on before throwing her dark blonde hair in a messy pony tail.

She knew her appearance was less than perfect, but you couldn't expect much from a twenty-one year old at seven in the morning, let alone on a Monday.

She trudged down the short, carpeted hallway and pushed open the bright white door and stepped into the room. From the design of the room you would not suspect that a five year old resided in it. The walls were a bright white which contrasted harshly against the dark wood of the dresser and bed.

“Maybe I should paint this?” Grayson questioned herself quietly as she walked over to the small bump located on the left side of the queen size bed. She pulled back the comforter and stared at the small girl with bright blonde hair as she slept peacefully.

Grayson slightly glared at the small girl, the resentment clear on her face. She didn’t hate the small girl, since it wasn’t her fault that she was here, but she didn’t necessarily like her.

“Annabelle,” Grayson said firmly as she shook the sleepy girl slightly. The girl opened her eyes slowly and clear blue eyes met identical clear blue eyes. The only difference on their faces was that one had a toothy grin on her face and the other didn’t.

“It’s time to get ready for school.” Grayson said as she headed back out the door and left the small girl to get herself ready for school.

Grayson ran her hands down her face and sighed as she headed down the stairs and into the brightly lit living room due to the floor to ceiling windows that over looked the beach. She stared at the beach longingly as she headed to her large kitchen and started rummaging through cupboards to find something for Annabelle to eat.

There was plenty of alcohol, which hadn’t been touched in several weeks, and tons of junk food, but she was having a hard time finding something suitable for breakfast for a five year old. She pulled out a pack of half eaten energy bars but then though twice before putting them back.

She finally stumbled upon a box of cheerios in the back of the cupboard and checked the expiration date quickly. Her face formed a triumphant smile when the date informed her that they wouldn’t expire for awhile and she quickly poured some in a bowl.

Just as she was adding milk Annabelle came jumping down the stairs and climbed up on one of the bar stools that surrounded the high marble table. Grayson set the bowl in front of her along with a spoon and a glass of orange juice.

“I don’t like cheerios,” The small girl muttered as she took a sip of her juice.

“That’s all I got,” Grayson told her with a shrug as she started to search the bottom level of the house for Annabelle’s checkered backpack. She located it underneath the couch and walked back into the kitchen as she watched Annabelle eat her cereal.

She had to admit she did a pretty good job at getting herself ready. Grayson always assumed kids were messy and didn’t know how to match but Annabelle was wearing a pair of red jean shorts and a white t-shirt that had red swirls and read ‘Rock Star’ in bold, black writing. Along with that her hair was brushed and fell in its natural curls agasint her small shoulders.

Grayson sighed as Annabelle put down her spoon and looked at her. “You ready to go?”

“Yeah!” Annabelle exclaimed as she ran over to the front door and pulled on her tiny Chuck’s and tied the laces like an expert. Grayson handed her backpack to her and slipped on a pair of worn out flip flops, as she grabbed her car keys.

The two girls walked out of the house and around to the garage as Grayson hit a button on her keys and the garage door began to open. Annabelle ran over to the 2009 Mazda 6 and hopped in the back seat as Grayson followed and made sure she was buckled into her booster seat correctly.

The ride to the elementary school was completely silent except for Annabelle’s quiet singing to certain songs on the radio. Grayson cringed as Annabelle started singing Taylor Swift’s ‘You Belong With Me.’ She was fighting the urge to change the channel or put in one of her many CD’s so that this song wouldn’t be stuck in her head for the rest of the day.

Before she had a chance to they pulled up in front of the school and Grayson quickly climbed out and walked around the car to help Annabelle out. Once she was out and standing on the sidewalk next to the car Grayson turned to look at her.

“Have a good day,” Grayson told her as she turned and headed back towards the driver’s seat to her car. Grayson watched the small girl walk up to the doors of the large school as other mothers shot her curious and disapproving looks her ways. They were all walking their kids to the door and Annabelle was the only one walking alone.

Grayson was tempted to flick off the prissy looking mothers but she held herself back. Instead as soon as Annabelle was out of sight she peeled out of the parking lot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback :-) ?

Likes? / Dislikes?