Status: Finished!!

California Girl's

Chapter 14

Grayson woke up the next morning to an empty bed and sat up immediately and frantically looked around her large bedroom for her boyfriend. She didn’t want to admit it but not waking up next to Zack made her feel vulnerable and scared.

She was usually a very strong independent person and she was beginning to realize that since Annabelle arrived those qualities were starting to fade. She wasn’t sure why, but she didn’t feel whole unless Zack was with her. It could have to do with the fact that over two months later she finally accepted the fact that her parents were gone and allowed herself to feel the pain of losing them.

She didn’t want to be the clingy girlfriend, but she was falling for Zack hard and fast and he was the only one that could make her feel as if everything would be okay.

Grayson climbed out of her tangled sheets quickly and adjusted her tank top as she padded to her door and stood in the hallway and listened closely to the noises in the house. Hearing Annabelle’s giggles coming from her room she walked across the hall and peeked into the open door.

The feeling that passed through her when she set her eyes on Zack and Annabelle playing Barbie’s was anything but happy. The little girl was laughing at Zack as he played with a brunette doll and talked to Annabelle’s blonde doll in a girly voice. He sounded like a gay guy which should have made Grayson laugh, but her anger level was too high at the moment.

She backed out of the room quickly and stomped her way down the stairs and into her large kitchen. How come the guys were able to get Annabelle to laugh, smile and talk to them, but it was like pulling teeth with Grayson.

She shouldn’t have been mad because Zack was probably just trying to help; attempting to calm the little girl down and cheer her up. Grayson ignored the rational side of her brain as she stared into the fridge blankly.

Five minutes of blank staring later she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her waist. Knowing who it was she shut the fridge door rather roughly and stepped out of his grip. She walked to the other side of the kitchen not catching the crest fallen look that passed over Zack’s face when she ignored him.

“Gracie?” Zack said quietly as he watched his girlfriend stare into a cupboard.

Grayson didn’t answer as she stared at the box of Cheerios and Cookie Crisp. The later box only reminding her of how good Zack was with Annabelle in the grocery store. She turned and looked at her boy friend as a glare set into her features.

Zack took a step back at her fierce look as his eyebrows furrowed together. “Baby?”

“What?” Grayson shot back.

“Did I do something?” Zack asked quietly as he tried to think of anything that he could have possibly done to upset her.

“Yes,” Grayson growled out as she started stomping out of the kitchen muttering ‘fucking Barbie dolls’. Realization dawned on Zack as he realized what was wrong with his girlfriend.

“Grayson!” He called as he ran after her.

At the sound of her name she started to run, but Zack caught her quickly and tackled her onto her large wrap around couch. He sat on top of her and pinned her hands down beside her head. He chuckled slightly as he realized there was still a glare firmly set on her face.

“What’s wrong with Barbie?” He joked as Grayson growled and tried to push out of his grip because to her this wasn’t a joke and she didn’t appreciate him treating it like one.

“This isn’t a joke Zack.” She spoke lowly and the smile fell from Zack’s face as guilt filled his body. He didn’t want her to think he thought this was all one big joke.

Zack leaned down and pressed his lips against her warm ones lightly. “I’m sorry.” Zack mumbled against her lips.

“Why doesn’t she want to play with me like that?” Grayson mumbled back as she pushed Zack slightly and he got off of her and sat next to her. As the first tear fell from her bright blue eyes Zack instantly pulled her against his chest.

“Do you want me to be honest with you?” Zack asked quietly as Grayson looked up at him with teary eyes. Grayson slowly nodded her head as Zack sighed and shut his eyes. From his actions she could tell she wasn’t going to like what he was going to say.

“You haven’t been treating her the way you should have. Neglecting her in the beginning is what’s led to this.” Grayson shut her eyes tightly, but let him continue. “She’s hurting too and you have to realize that. She’s only five and doesn’t understand the situation because you haven’t let her.”

Grayson didn’t like his little speech one bit, but she knew he was right. Everything he just said was one hundred percent on the ball.

“I know that’s not what you want to hear right now baby, but it needed to be said.” Zack said softly as he twisted a piece of her blonde hair around his finger.

“I know,” She squeaked out as she opened her eyes and looked up at her amazing boyfriend. “And your right.”

Zack gave her a weak smile as she leaned up and pressed her lips to his in a soft slow kiss. It was innocent and close mouthed, but it was comforting her.

“Zack,” They heard and pulled away to see Annabelle standing in front of them. “Are you coming back to play?” Grayson’s face fell as her little sister didn’t even look at her.

“I would, but I have to go into the studio.” Annabelle’s face fell slightly.

“Okay,” She said. “Will you be back later?” She asked as a smile returned to her face.

Zack reassured her he would definitely be back as she ran back upstairs to her room. He turned and looked at Grayson and kissed her lightly as he stood up.

“I’ll be back later,” Zack told her as he walked around the couch and towards the door. “Go play with her.” Zack urged her as he kissed his girlfriends forehead and headed out the front door.

Grayson stared up the stairs for a long time before she quietly walked up the stairs. She stopped in front of the little girls open door and stood in the door way.

“Can I play with you?” She finally spoke and Annabelle shook her head ‘yes’ as she continued to play with her Barbie’s.

Grayson walked into the room and sat down next to her sister as Annabelle passed her a blonde Barbie. She stared at the plastic toy and all the other clothes and accessories that were scattered around the room.

“Did mom get you all these?” Grayson asked.

“Yes,” Annabelle said. “She used to play with me all the time.”

Grayson let out a shaky sigh before she gathered up as much courage as she could. “Can we talk for a second?”

Annabelle looked up at the first time since Grayson entered the room. “Sure,” She answered as she set down her Barbie.

“Okay,” Grayson said. “I’m sorry I’ve treated you the way I have. I know you may not understand, but I wasn’t ready to admit that mom and dad weren’t coming back and that you were now my responsible.”

Annabelle nodded slightly as she stared into her sisters identical blue eyes.

“You are in my custody now and I live here.” Grayson said and Annabelle went to say something but Grayson started talking first. “Aunt Theresa and Uncle Matt bought our old home. All the horses are still there and they said we can come visit whenever we want.”

At this Annabelle smiled. “Really?”

“Really,” Grayson said as she smiled as well. “Mom and dad would have wanted to keep the house and I promise you we will go visit.”

“Pinky promise?” Annabelle asked as she held up her tiny pinky.

The smile on her face spread wider as she locked her pinky with her sisters. “Pinky promise.”

“Okay,” Annabelle exclaimed as she turned back to the dolls. “This is Barbie’s friend Kelly and they are getting ready to go out to lunch and…”

Grayson smiled as she let her sister explain what the dolls were doing. This whole time all she needed to do was talk to the little girl; explain things to her. She felt like her and Annabelle had just turned over a new leaf and now that they were on the same page things would go a lot more smoothly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo, Warped was bad ass and 3/4 of Hey Monday walked right by me (Cassadee, Jersey, and Mike) and I froze...I was so mad at myself afterwards for not going up to them (still am:-P).

Anywaysssss...what did yah think:-) I'd love to hear your thought!
Thanks to those who commented on the last chapter!

Read!COMMENT!Subscribe!Enjoy!