Status: Finished!!

California Girl's

Chapter 8

“Um, Z-Zack?” Grayson stuttered out as she ran her hands over her colorful surf board.

“What’s up Gracie?” Zack asked happily as he paddled slightly closer to wear she was sitting on her board.

“I was wondering if…” She trailed off as she tried to compose the nerves that were racing through her body.

“Are you okay?” Zack asked as he noticed her tense demeanor and fidgety hands.

“Yes,” Grayson answered quickly. “It’s just…I…When do you have to be in the studio to record next week?”

“I have to lay down some tracks on Thursday and Friday.” He answered. “Why?”

“Well, I have to go to New York on Monday.” Grayson started to explain. “I don’t want to, but everything was left to Annabelle and I and my aunt and uncle decided to buy our old house and I need to go do paper work and pick up a couple things.”

“Oh,” Zack said. “Did you need me to watch Annabelle for you?”

Grayson let out an aggravated sigh, he really wasn’t getting it. Besides, she already asked Alex and Jack if they’d stay with Annabelle and they happily agreed. Especially Jack because he claimed that when Annabelle was around it was easier for him to pick up chicks.

“Alex and Jack are watching her.” Grayson finally said after a long pause.

“Okay?” Zack answered un-surely. “Gracie, what’s going on? Why are you so nervous?” He asked the blonde as he reached across and grabbed her hand and held it tightly in his much larger one.

“Will you come with me?” Grayson asked in a small voice. Zack started laughing at her slightly as Grayson’s face fell.

“You were nervous to ask me that?” Zack asked between his chuckles. Grayson sent him a glare and pulled her hand from his. This wasn’t really a laughing matter and it took a lot to get Grayson to even have the courage to ask him.

Grayson turned her board expertly and began to paddle back towards the beach, but before she got too far she felt something stop her board. She looked back and Zack had a firm grip with both hands on the end of her surf board.

“Let go,” She told him, her voice cracking slightly. Zack didn’t listen and pulled her board in one swift movement so it was parallel with his once again.

“Gray,” Zack started as she sat back up on her board. “I’m sorry, but of course I’ll go with you.” He said in a soft sincere voice. It took Grayson a second to process that he had agreed to go with her before she quickly pulled him into a slightly awkward hug due to the surf boards they were sitting on.

With a quick peck on Zack’s cheek she pulled away from him. “Thank you.”

~x0x~

“So, what kind of cereal do you want?” Zack asked Annabelle as she sat on top of his shoulders as he walked next to Grayson who was pushing a half full shopping cart threw the grocery store.

“Captain Crunch!” She exclaimed as Zack stopped in front of the isle that was lined with many different kinds of cereals.

“Wait!” The little girl exclaimed. “Fruit loops!”

Zack went to grab the box with the colorful toucan bird when Annabelle grasped dramatically. “Cookie Crisp!”

Zack laughed as he grabbed a box and set it in the cart. When he looked up at Grayson she had an annoyed look on her face.

“Lighten up.” He nudged her playfully before he continued down the aisle only stopping to grab some blueberry nutria-grain bars when Annabelle pointed to them.

Grayson grinded her teeth together annoyed with the fact that Zack wasn’t annoyed by Annabelle in the least.

She finally caught up to the two near the deli section and Annabelle was now on the ground watching as the lady behind the counter slice some ham.

“What did you pick?” Grayson asked.

“Ham, turkey, and some provolone cheese.” Zack rattled off as the lady handed him three wrapped clear packages.

“I don’t like turkey.” Grayson told him as she went to grab it from his hands but he had already put it in the cart.

“But I do.” He said as he kissed her on the cheek and followed Annabelle as she walked towards the tank of lobsters.

Grayson tried to control her racing heart as she pushed the cart slowly towards them. Before she could reach them a tall slender blonde had stopped by Zack’s side. The un-known girl placed her hand on Zack’s shoulder and when he turned to see who it was Grayson could see his entire body tense up.

The girl had a smile on her face and was talking quickly while Zack stood there completely stunned. Grayson watched as Annabelle pulled on the side of Zack’s plaid shorts as her bright blue eyes remained on the tall blonde. Zack didn’t acknowledge her so Annabelle frowned and started walking back towards her sister.

“Who’s that?” Annabelle asked as she stood on the bar on the side of the cart.

“I don’t know,” Grayson mumbled as she pushed the cart towards where Zack was still standing. Once she reached them she stepped up next to Zack and the tall blonde looked towards her.

“Oh!” She exclaimed. “Who is this?”

Grayson looked to Zack for an introduction because the taller blonde had clearly directed her question at Zack not Grayson. Zack didn’t answer and Grayson wasn’t really sure if he was even breathing.

“I’m Grayson.” The shorter blonde answered sticking out her hand.

“Nice to meet you!” The tall blonde exclaimed. “I’m Paige.” She finished as he grabbed Grayson’s hand and shook it.

“And who is this cutie!” She exclaimed suddenly to which Grayson saw Zack jump from the high pitch of Paige’s voice. “Is this your daughter?”

Grayson looked up at the tall girl and she recognized the look on her face instantly. She was judging her, like everyone always did. They assumed she was a single parent who had her child while she was still in high school.

“I’m her sister, Annabelle!” The little girl exclaimed and when Grayson looked at her the little girl for once didn’t have a smile on her face.

For the entire time Annabelle had been with Grayson she had not seen the little girl give anyone else an attitude besides herself, but it was written all over her face that she didn’t like Paige.

“Oh, well…” She trailed off as she looked at Zack. Grayson did as well and the boy was staring at his feet. When he did look up he caught Grayson’s eye and the look on his face was un-readable.

“I got to go.” He mumbled as he brushed past Paige and quickly walked away from them.

Grayson stared after him as Paige looked her over and Grayson felt insecure suddenly in her simple tank top and jeans compared to the blonde who was standing in front of her dressed like a model.

Paige made a ‘humph’ noise before turning on her high heels and walked away from her.

~x0x~

“You moved on quickly.” A extremely familiar voice said as Zack growled slightly and turned to face the tall blonde that was now standing in front of him.

“It’s really none of your business, is it?” Zack shot back as he dug the toe of his flip flop in the dirt ground.

“Not really,” Paige shrugged. “But you know I’m not one to mind my own business.”

“I’m not your puppet anymore, Paige.” Zack snarled at her. “What the fuck do you want?”

“Really Zack?” Paige laughed. “You just ran away in there.” She pointed out.

“So?” Zack replied lamely.

“So?” Paige taunted. “You will always be my ‘puppet’.”

“Fuck you.” Zack shot back as he clenched his fists.

“Been there, done that.” Paige waved off. “So was that your new girl friend?”

Zack stared at her as the smirk on her face got even wider. This girl in front of him was the reason he never wanted to give his heart out to someone again. With Grayson, though, he wanted to. He wanted to be with her and having only known her for just over two weeks; his feelings towards her were strong.

But now, as this horrible blonde stood in front of him all those feelings of hate and all the walls that he had managed to break down around his heart in a short two weeks were now re-constructed stronger than ever.

“No,” Zack finally breathed. “For whatever its worth to you, she’s not.”

“It really isn’t worth anything to me really.”Paige laughed. “She was cute though…I guess.”

Zack’s anger was rising and he really just wanted to punch the blonde in the face. Paige knew what she was doing to Zack; she always knew what she was doing to Zack. He was her play thing; there when she needed him and when she got bored she kicked him to the curb.

Which is exactly what she had done almost two months ago, so seeing her only ripped open that slightly healing gash in his broken heart. He had loved her with all he had and she kicked him to the curb faster than the speed of light.

“What the fuck did I ever see in you?” Zack seethed as his face started to turn red.

“Obviously something,” Paige shot back. “You followed me around like a love sick puppy for over a year.”

“Fuck you!” Zack exploded. “Do you have no heart? Do you not care what you fucking did to me? How can someone take such pleasure in making people so miserable?” Zack screamed in her face and Paige’s smirk dropped.

The entire time that Paige and Zack were going out he never once raised his voice, let alone argued or disagreed with her and him yelling at her now completely shocked her.

“You are a selfish bitch and that’s all you’re ever going to be!”

Paige stared at him for a while before composing herself and re-collecting her thoughts. “That is something I can live with.” She shrugged as if what he had just said wasn’t a big deal. “But you my friend, are nothing but a push over and a follower, and that is all your're ever going to be"

With that being said the tall blonde spun on her heels and strutted towards her red Mercedes leaving Zack feeling as if she had just stabbed him in the chest with a knife.

Zack was so angry with himself, more so because he knew she was right. He knew he wasn’t going to win with her; he was never going to win with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, my cruddy day actually turned out to be an amazing day:-)
---Okay, so i changed what Grayson looks like, so you can go check it out if you want:-) Also, I know Paiges character's personality isover used, but it was important for the story and it was kinda fun to write her part cuzz shes a total bitch:-P

Those who comment...I'm sending you cyber hugs:-)

Read! Subscribe!Comment!Enjoy!