Liars

that's how our first conversation started

He was the one. I knew it since the moment my eyes laid onto his. They were brown. They weren’t the typical brown. No. They were the color brown that changed shades in different sceneries of light. At one moment they’d be a brilliant honey color and then next they would be mahogany.

That’s how our first conversation started.

It was the first day of camp. I just turned eight the day before and my parents were forcing me to go. They left me at a picnic table by a huge tree. He came around the corner and threw a couple of water balloons at me. I was so angry and upset that I started crying.

He must have felt bad. He came over to me and sat down at my side. He said nothing. He tapped my shoulder and I turned towards him. Dimples adorned his cheeks as he smiled. The last balloon in his hand was gently placed in mine. He lifted my arm and forced me to break the pink balloon over his head. We both laughed.

“Your eyes are pretty. They’re the same color as my mama’s. My papa told me all the diamonds and jewels in the world are jealous because they could never shine as much as them. They must be jealous of yours too,” he said while looking up at the sky. He looked over at me and waited for my response.

“Your eyes look like tree bark.” He laughed and grabbed my hand.

“Come on! They’re serving Sloppy Joes for dinner!”

We became best friends that day.
♠ ♠ ♠
word count: 265