Liars

we wanted to be remembered

We stayed in touch the rest of the year, but we always looked forward to the summers. The summer was the time where we would pack our duffle bags and return to Camp Dakota. We returned every year. When we turned too old to actually attend the camp, we became counselors. Nothing could keep us away.

We wanted to be remembered.

I was seventeen and he was nineteen. It was our last year that we would be at Camp Dakota. He was leaving to Europe to go to school and I would be staying to help my mother and father take care of their store. That also meant our last summer together.

“We should do something crazy! Something so out of this world that we will be remembered for decades to come! They will tell our story around the fires and all the kids will think its some stupid, unrealistic legend, but we will know. Our children will know and so will their children. What do you say? Do you want to be famous?” He jumped off of the tire swing and landed on his feet. He walked towards the pier and sat down next to me.

“That sounds great and all, but how do you propose we actually do something like that?” I raised an eyebrow as I looked into his honey colored eyes. They sparkled with delight while he began to scheme.

“We’ll scare them! We’ll scare them shitless! They’ll never want to return to this camp again. It’ll keep all the little kids away forever.”

“Copying some stupid, cliché movie won’t get us remembered. Don’t you want to do something original?” He glared over at me and crossed his arms.

“It will be original. Trust me.” I rolled my eyes.

That summer turned out to be very original.
♠ ♠ ♠
word count: 301