Liars

he became everyone's worst nightmare

A group of campers and one counselor went missing the next month. I helped everyone search and even “found” the abandoned cabin. This time it was full of the old tools and other supplies. No one wanted to admit that they were scared. The silly old ghost story was told for generations. Someone was just messing with their mind.

He became everyone’s worst nightmare.

More and more campers and counselors went missing. They closed the camp and sent the remaining campers home. The counselors were asked to stay to help find the missing children.

I brushed everything off. Everything was going as planed. There was only one month left, meaning the last bunch of counselors would be taken a week after I was. Another week after that, everyone would return to camp, perfectly healthy.

He showed up that night. He took me when I was walking to my cabin after dinner. I asked him how everything was going. He said everything was perfect. He said if we could pull this off, then everyone would know us, even people in other countries.

I laughed off his comment. He always took things out of proportions in his imagination.

“Where is everyone?” I asked as we continued to walk into the woods. He remained silent. “You did tell them this is a prank, right? They do know you’re not going to kill them, right?” He stopped and put both of his hands on my shoulders.

“When I was away from you all these months, I couldn’t stop thinking about you. It was worse than when we go home every year. It was becoming torture,” he said softly. I raised an eyebrow.

“Where are you going with this?”

“I came up with a new plan. I came up with a plan where we can spend the rest of our lives together. We won’t have to worry about my parents or school or anything! You have to promise me that you’ll help me.” I looked up at his face. His mahogany eyes were staring straight at me through the eye slots in the typical hokey mask.

“I promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
word count: 353