Liars

the stench was horrible

He took me to the cabin. He told me to relax and go to sleep. When I asked about the kids and our friends he told me not to worry. I didn’t. I didn’t worry. I trusted him. It took me awhile to sleep.

The stench was horrible.

After eating a small breakfast, I ordered him to take me to the others. He reluctantly nodded and grabbed my hand. We walked towards the large cliffs. We climbed for over an hour until we came to a cave.

The smell was worse than anything I could have ever imagined. I thought it was the lake. We were at the opposite end where no one was allowed to swim. I figured there was too much seaweed and fish. No. The smell was from something else.

“How could you?” The adorable smile that normally adorned his face was gone. He looked over at me in shock. “How could you?” I screamed at him and continued to stare at the pile of bodies in front of me. Tears fell down my face as I watched maggots and flies crawl across the children’s faces.

“Baby… this was for us. You promised you would help me. We’ll finally be together.” He hugged me gently and rocked my body back and forth. I pulled out of his grip and pushed him away from me. “You promised!”

I took another glance at the pile in front of me. My body jerked as my slightly digested eggs came up my throat and out of my mouth. He hugged me again. “I don’t think I can do this.”

“You promised.” I shivered his lips on the back of my neck.

I could only nod.
♠ ♠ ♠
word count: 284