Where's Your Home When You Have Not A Heart?

Part 4

"Hello," a voice echoed down the street. "Are you still here?"

Seth's eyes fluttered open to reveal the girl standing in front of him once more. "Leave," he muttered.

"I want to ask you a question."

"You're supposed to fear me," he stated and coverred his face. 'Flee- leave me alone!"

"I am not afraid of you," she smiled.

"Why are you here? What is it that you wish to ask me?"

He heard her walk closer, and once again his heart rate quickened and his thoughts began to scramble; it was coming again. "How is it that you are what you are?"

He sat in the dark, not knowing how to answer. "I just am. Each day goes by, leaving a night in it's path, which also passes. And I remain, unlike the sun and moon and day and night."

"I wish to become what you are," she remarked, holding out her bare arm.

"No," he replied harshly and wide eyed as he pushed her away. "Go away! Leave!"

"It must be lonely. Are there others like you?"

"Yes. I just havn't... found them yet," he remarked with a snarl.

"Well, perhaps you wouldn't be so lonely. I could help you find others of your kind..."

"No- I couldn't. Just leave me be. Go somewhere else!"

"But I do not wish to!"

"This is a curse; you do not understand. You could not possibly understand! You do not wish to die but there is nothing I wish for more!" He stood up, towering over her, pushing her against the wall. She shook, but she was not afraid. He couldn't sense her afraid.

"I do not wish to live eternal life. I wish for adventure- something more than I have already in my possesion- something more complicated than any object that could be a possesion. But you could not possibly understand. I see now you are nothing but arrogant," and she turned to leave out of spite.

"Fine," he called after her. "Leave. I do not wish for you to here!"

She turned back every couple steps, letting her auburn curls to whip over her bare shoulder. Her dark lips were set in a pout and her eyes looked at nothing but him.