My Day

My Dance.

I’m shaking as I’m standing in front of the people here for me, for us, today, waiting for our vows to be recited. The minister turns to me and asks:

“Kelsey Ann Taylors, will you have this man to be your husband; to live together in the covenant of marriage? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?”

I smile and nod, saying, “I will.”

He turns to the man by my side, “Michael Reese Donovan, will you have this woman to be your wife; to live together in the covenant of marriage? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?”

Michael turns to me and announces, “I will.”

The minister turns to our friends and family gathered behind us, “Will all of you witnessing these promises do all in your power to uphold these two persons in their marriage?”

They’re all smiling and crying, “We will.”

Michael and I turn to each other and join hands and then look at the minister so he could continue. He puts his hands on top of ours, “You have determined that you would seal your vows today by the exchanging of rings. The rings you give and receive this day are marvelous symbols of endless love. May your thoughts towards one another be pure. The ring is an unbroken circle, having no end, so it is emblematic of the enduring and unending love you have for each other.”

Michael is handed a ring and he slides it onto my finger as he says, “I give this ring in remembrance of this hour, a symbol of love that is beautiful, endless and complete.”

Small tears are running down my face as I’m handed a ring to put on his finger and repeat, “I give this ring in remembrance of this hour, a symbol of love that is beautiful, endless and complete.”

“Now that Kelsey Ann Taylors and Michael Reese Donovan have given themselves to each other by solemn vows, with the joining of hands and the giving and receiving of a ring, I pronounce that they are Mr. and Mrs. Donovan, husband and wife, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” He smiles, “You may now kiss the bride.”

I turn bright red as I’m picked up in Michael’s arms and his lips attach to mine, our audience hooting and hollering at us. He rests me down on my feet and takes my hand in his own so we can walk back down the aisle and out the doors of the church. We gave out bubbles, so when we get out the doors, we are surrounded by them. We laugh and rush to the limo door and slide in, the typical ‘Just Married’ sign on the back. I can’t wait for the reception. The place we rented out is beautiful. It’s a long hall with crystal chandeliers dangling down the length. There are white and red roses in vases as the centerpieces of the wedding party table and white ones for the rest.

“Kelsey.”

I turn to my husband, letting him know he has my attention. He smiles and points out the window. I look out to see that were at the hall. I laugh and get out, him trailing right behind me. I begin to get impatient and start to tug him, trying to get him to move faster. He starts to laugh but walks faster, easily keeping up with my pace. The bottom of my dress is wrapped around my hand because I don’t want to trip or ruin it in any way.

We turn and walk down the hallway that leads to where our reception is being held. I slow down to make a graceful, not rushed, entrance. I smile wide when we walk in and everyone is cheering, congratulating us as we walk by. We get to the dinner table and settle in before the clink of someone tapping their knife against their glass started. Everyone turns their attention to the Maid of Honor, my best friend.

I take her awaiting hand as she speaks. “Kelsey I’ve known you since diapers. We’ve been through everything together. When we were little it was cuts and bruises, who got which crayon first, or if we would play in the sandbox or get on the swings. In our teens we got each other through broken hearts and friends who weren’t true. Now we're grown and you've found Michael, the man who you’ve shared 3 wonderful years with already and today you vowed to share many more. So to you,” she turns to Michael, “and to you, I hope you live your lives together to the fullest.”

Everyone claps and I stand up crying, once again, and give her a hug. Michael thanks her and the two of us start to talk about old times. Then it’s the best mans turn.

He clears his throat and looks sort of uncomfortable, but starts, “What to say. I’m proud and very happy for you Michael. I was there with you from when you had your first girlfriend and the ones after. They weren’t always the nicest and it hurt me to see you go through that. Then, one day, we went out to lunch and you went to restroom but came back to the table not even a minute later, telling us about the most beautiful girl you’ve ever seen. It all came out in a rush because you still had to go to the bathroom. But you brought her back and introduced her to us. Kelsey you really have changed my best friend’s life and made him a very happy person.”

We all get comfortable and eat the food that’s set out for us when the bells start ringing. I think we’ve kissed about 20 times and it’s been about 7 or 8 minutes and each time I laugh more than before. I don’t understand what’s so entertaining about it but it makes me smile because it’s him that I’m kissing. One of the bridesmaid’s runs up to me, pulls me onto the middle of the dance floor, and sits me in a chair. I realize what’s going on when they wrap a blindfold around Michael’s eyes and push him towards me. I look around me and see people leaning around other people because they can’t see.

He bends down, finds the bottom of my dress, and goes underneath. I’m giggling because not only is this embarrassing, but his face is tickling my leg. He finds the blue and white garter and pulls it down and around my shoe. He unknots the blindfold and laughs when he sees how red I am. I smile and run over to the table to grab my bouquet. I rush back and all the women and girls gather around behind me.

I yell out, “Ready?”

They nod eager to know who’s going to catch it. I hold the flowers in both hands and throw them behind me. I turn around to see my friend’s 7 year old niece holding it. I couldn’t help but laugh at that. Michael got out there and threw the garter. My mom was running by to get to the other side of the room and it landed in her hair. That was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. After we got about 15 pictures, he threw it again and another good friend of his caught it.

They turn on the music and Michael and I walk out to have our dance. He spins me around and then brings me to him. My right hand wraps around his left, I put my left on his shoulder and he puts his right on my back. We say nothing as we spin to the music, just hold one another close and that is what makes this moment perfect for me. The song ends and everyone rushes to dance as more upbeat songs play. We mingle while we dance and it looks like everyone is having fun, which I’m grateful for.

It’s almost the end of the night and the wedding party gathers around as we sing to the last song, I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack. It summons up what my life has been like. I always wanted to learn, I’ve loved and lost, and I’ve been given many chances. I may not have always chosen the long road but when I did, the result was amazing. I was crying because today, tonight was my time to feel beautiful. I finally had my dance that will last a lifetime. The dance will last forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okies so this is my contest entry :D
This might be the most sappiest thing that I'll ever write but *shrugs*
Never thought I would do one about a country song but this is proof that it happened o.O

"Let's just say I work for the blah blah blah and they gave me the lisence to blah." - Ashton Kutcher -- Killers

I want to see that movie sooo bad!