Status: Temporary Hiatus!

All I Can Do

2.

“NHL stars Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks were involved in a serious, near fatal car accident early this morning. While no further information can be given at this moment in time, it has been said that the third party is currently in the ICU, and this accident can quickly be categorized as FATAL. Both players’ conditions are currently being hidden under strong wraps and will be announced when their conditions are certain.”

“Chicago Blackhawks stars Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane have been involved in a potentially lethal car wreck this morning. Captain Toews is said to be behind the wheel. Both teammates have been rushed to the hospital, along with a third party who was also involved in the collision. The woman’s conditions are said to be much worse than the NHL stars, but they are all under watchful eye and are each said to be in critical condition.”

The buzz was floating around. The teammates were all crammed into the waiting room, trying to remain calm and steady for one another. Family had gathered and more family were on their way. It had gotten to a point were the only people granted access into the waiting room were members of the team and family. That’s it.

While friends were outraged, they knew it was a serious time and an extreme sensitive subject. They didn’t argue, they simply sat in the public waiting room three floors down. Everyone else sat quietly, as the TV buzzed above them, thinking of all of the possible outcomes of this situation.

Brent Seabrook and Kris Versteeg hadn’t managed to keep their cool long enough. Both had tears in their eyes, fearing that they’d never get to see two of the closest guys to them, ever again. It was all too much to handle for everyone and slowly, one by one, people were giving into the sinking feeling.

It had been 22 hours since the accident.

Within the doors, down the hall and in a secluded room, Jonathan’s eyes fluttered open. He groaned, looking up into the light and then observing his surroundings. At first, he had no idea where he was or how he got there. Then, his heart fell to his feet as he recalled Patrick’s face and the sound of shattering glass and the pain he felt as the car smashed into pieces.

He panicked. Without even realizing it, he began to scream. He yelled for someone, anyone and tried to lift his arm to reach the button. Unfortunately, his arm hurt too much to move and instead he ended up wincing in pain and silencing himself.

He should’ve been paying more attention, he thought to himself. If he killed his best friend, or that other driver, he wouldn’t be able to live with himself. He should’ve been the one to die. Why hadn’t he been watching the road? He clutched his arm and realized that any second; he was going to break down if he didn’t get answers.

But as if God heard him, a doctor walked in.

“Are they okay?” Jonathan asked bluntly, without waiting for an answer.

The doctor smiled at him and sighed, “Mr. Kane is awake; he’s fine, he suffered a concussion and broke a few ribs but that’s really all.”

Jonathan shut his eyes and let out a breath of relief, “Can I see him?”

The doctor watched him for a minute before nodding. Jonathan waited patiently, desperately just wanting to see if Pat was okay for himself, he didn’t trust anyone but himself and his own eyes.

The doctor returned with a wheelchair and helped Jonathan into it. Within a minute, he was being rolled down to the room about four doors down. The doctor opened the door and pushed Jon in, then quietly left the two alone.

Jonathan looked at his friend, tears burning in his eyes. Patrick opened his eyes and glanced at Jonathan and then, slowly, he began to smirk his trademark smirk, “Hey Jonny, you look like shit.”

Jonathan burst into tears, covering his face with his hand. Patrick couldn’t watch, he just glanced down at his own feet, swallowing hard. The doctor had told him that he could’ve easily lost his life, if the glass would’ve punctured his stomach a little more, he would’ve been a goner. He requested that Jonathan never hear about that; never learn that, because if he knew anyone inside and out- it was him, and he knew he’d be the one to blame himself.

“Buddy,” Patrick said shakily, finally looking at his friend, “Come here, man.”

Jonathan sniffled, wiping his eyes. He wheeled himself over to Pat’s bedside, “I’m sorry, bro, I’m so fucking sorry.”

Patrick smiled lightly and mocked a punch to Jonathan’s cheek, “I’m going to be fine, man, and so are you, It was an accident.”

Jonathan wiped his eyes on his arm, shaking his head like Patrick was wrong. He could’ve stopped, he could’ve avoided it, all he had to do was keep his eyes on the road and notice that black car turning left- he could’ve stopped. The thought made him sick, but seeing that his best friend was smiling at him, forgiving him, made it easy to keep calm.

He wiped his eyes again and cleared his throat, “I could’ve missed the car.”

Patrick shook his head, “Don’t blame yourself, it was an accident Johnny, remember that.”

Then, Jonathan realized something, something he’d missed. He was so worried about Patrick that he’d forgotten that there was someone in that other car and he hit them dead on. He heard a shrill, high pitched scream of a woman and shuddered, he remembered it.

His eyes wide, staring at Patrick, he felt nauseous again, “Wha-What happened to the girl?”

Patrick frowned, not understanding, “What girl?”

Jon got frustrated, thrusting his hands onto the bed, “The girl I HIT, Patrick, What happened to her?!”

Patrick looked lost, watching his friend begin his spiral into a breakdown. He hadn’t remembered seeing who was in the car, or anything the doctor might have said about them. He could only shake his head at Jon.

“I have no idea, dude.”

Jonathan wheeled himself over to the end of Patrick’s bed and reached up, even though it sent a searing pain to his chest and pressed the button repeatedly, ignoring the sickening feeling that was coming up this throat.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's numero two!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the response for chapter one, I love you guys dearly!
I'd like 7 + comments for this one, darlings, LOVE YOU!

P.S... go hawks!