The Musso's and Me

Trace

“Trace, this is Jess” “Hi, your Miley’s brother right?” I asked “Yeah, Mason talks about you…a lot!” he laughed “Good” I smiled and sat down. They started to talk about music and I smiled, Mason always loved music.

I remember late nights in Texas where we’d go sit in the field and he’d play guitar. I never really had much interest in playing; the boys loved it and acting. They’d always said that’s what they wanted to do when they grew up and I guess they’ve all done well.

I was never really sure, once I said I wanted to be an astronaut then Mason pushed me really high on the swings and I didn’t really like the idea so much anymore. I had no direction in life anymore, which can be good or bad.

Mason says it’s good because I’m open to all possibilities dad says it’s bad because at my age I should have made a decision. The only thing I’d ever been sure of was that when the time was right I was going to live with Mason.

“Jessie” I jumped “Sorry, I was…” “Daydreaming as usual, I’m going to get a drink you coming?” I shook my head “No I’ll stay here, get to know Trace” he hesitated then nodded and walked off.

“I’m sorry about what happened,” he said and I nodded “Thanks. So you 2 write music together, Mason’s always wanted to do that” he nodded “Yeah he’s good, you still don’t have a clue about it do you?” I smiled “The future I take it you mean?” he nodded “Not a clue, I think my dad’s hoping these lot will help me decide but Mason won’t...” “Push it?” he smiled.

“He really does talk about you a lot you know? He’s really happy you’re living here” I laughed, “He talks about you too, says you’re his best friend. I’m glad I live here too, not keen on California though”I admitted “Your not the only one, I’m from the south. I think that’s part of mine and Mason’s friendship.”

“So is your dad succeeding? You seen anything you thing you’d like to do?” “He’s hoping I take a liking to music and acting really isn’t for me, I like Dance. I’ll just stick with school for now and see where I am after” “You should talk to Miley, she’s focused on what she wants but she’s damn good with advice. I think she’d appreciate another friend in Hollywood, in fact if you wanted you could come over tonight?” he suggested.

“I’m not sure don’t you have homework?” Mason cut in as he walked in “It’s okay, thanks Trace that’d be nice” I smiled as Mason sat down next to me and put his arm round me “You sure?” I nodded “Yeah she seems nice plus you can hang out with your friend.”

He hadn’t really spent much time with anyone but me since I moved here. I felt like I was taking over his life. “I’ll go tell Miles she’s just on her break,” said Trace and left.

“You sure you’re okay?” I nodded and rested my head on his shoulder. “Mason I’m thinking about moving back home” “Okay” I could tell he was upset. “I’ve stayed with you long enough, your parents didn’t mean it as a permanent thing and I’ve settled here so maybe it is time. I think it upsets dad that I chose to live with you over him, he lost her too even if they weren’t close” he nodded.

“Maybe you could come with me? If you wanted?” “Live at yours? Will your dad mind?” I shook my head “I think all he cares about is that we get through this and that I’m happy” I replied “Are you sure?” I nodded.

“You could stay in my room” “But what about my mom?” “Don’t act like she doesn’t know” he laughed “That’s true, she realized after 3 days, she’s still not told dad” I laughed “My dad knows I think she told him, he doesn’t seem too bothered. He’s knows we’re just friends.”