Don't Take Chances

Tired Of Waiting

"Dude, how long is this line?" Andy asked as we slowly shuffled along behind the middle-aged couple in front of us.

"I told you we'd have to queue for hours," I sighed.

He turned to looked at me, "Yeah, I just thought you were exaggerating."

I blinked at him and shoved his shoulder playfully, "Shut up Mrotek, you offered to come with me."

"I was just trying to be nice, if I knew I had to stand in line all day I'd have stayed in your bed," he mused, craning his neck to look around the large building we were standing in the middle of.

We stood in relative silence for a couple of minutes, I say relative because Andy was singing random little songs to himself as I glanced around at the array of people standing in line to talk to various officials. I wondered if all of them were like me, looking for a way to stay a little longer, a way to escape their old life and live the one they had built for themselves (and quite enjoyed) over here.

"Stop it," Andy said, breaking my train of thought.

"Stop what?" I asked.

"Brooding. You know you'll get to stay so stop thinking about stuff that isn't going to happen."

I couldn't stop the small smile that crept onto my lips, "How can you be so sure?"

He shrugged, burying his hands in his jacket pockets, "Cause you can't leave."

"Why?"

Andy shrugged again, "Cause I say so."

I laughed, "If only it were that simple."

"Who says it has to be any more complicated?" he asked.

"Uh, the American government?"

He shrugged again, "Well they'd be stupid to let you go back home."

"Yeah?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah," he nodded, a serious expression on his face, "In case you hadn't noticed Lily, you're pretty fucking talented and you'd be a great loss to this country."

I laughed as the woman in front of us visibly bristled at his cussing, "What would I do without friends like you Andy?"

He shrugged and rubbed his nose, "I don't know, you'd probably die of boredom or something."