Don't Take Chances

Sick Of This Apartment

After standing in line for almost an hour and a half I finally got to speak to someone about my deportation situation. The short, balding man sitting behind a shiny oak desk pointed us in the direction of a line of similar desks with partitions between them, an attempt at privacy I guessed, and told us to wait until there was a space available.

I shifted my weight from black ankle boot to black ankle boot and bit my lip nervously.

"You have nothing to worry about," Andy said softly, nudging me in the direction of a station that had just been vacated.

I walked down the line and took a seat in the uncomfortable plastic chair on our side of the desk.

The motherly looking woman on the other side smiled kindly at me, "What can I do for you young lady?"

"Uh, well I'm in the US on a work visa and my boss told me it was up for review and that I might not be able to stay here much longer," I rushed out nervously.

The woman, who according to her name tag was called Violet, smiled softly and glanced at Andy sitting next to me, "I can see why that would be a problem."

Before I could reply she started typing away on her computer, "Name?"

"Lily Mae Carter," I said.

"And how long have you been living in America?" she asked.

"Twenty-one months and eight days."

Andy shifted in his seat and looked at me, I shrugged and mouthed a 'what' at him.

Violet continued speaking, "And I see your original sponsor was Teen Vogue, is that right?"

"Yes," I nodded, "I'm a deputy art director for the east coast office."

"Hmm, I can see why you're having difficulty with your renewal. Publishing is a very competitive field," Violet mused.

"Is there any other way she can apply to stay in the country?" Andy asked.

"Well," the older woman turned to face us, "You could apply for residency and another option you have is trying out for citizenship but that would mean giving up your status as a British citizen."

I sat back in my chair and rubbed my temple nervously, "At this moment I'm willing to consider all my options."

"Why don't I give you all the appropriate forms and the two of you can look through them together, take your time over it and make an informed decision," Violet suggested, opening a drawer in the desk and producing a substantial pile of paper.

I looked at what could once have been a small forest and nodded, "Thanks for all your help."

"My pleasure, sweetie. I hope you get everything fixed," Violet smiled kindly.

Scooping up the mass of paperwork into my bag Andy and I made our way back to the foyer of the embassy.

"So, I guess it's back to the apartment?" Andy asked.

I nodded, "Yeah."

How did I know this wasn't going to be fun?