Status: The sequel is done!

Mystic Island

Prologue

☼☼☼☼

Moonlight washed upon the world in a silver sheet, and it coldly regarded the lands below. There were no city lights to swallow the stars, and so the stars appeared in thick clusters that weren’t usually seen since the days before the American Revolution; so long ago, and since then, the world had been swallowed in industrial destruction.
Cool waters brushed the shores of a silent island and receded with comfort. The salty breeze mixed with the floral aroma of the forest beyond, and the occasional calls of wild animals sounded in the woods. The sky was clear, and it was unusually bright, minus the modern lights and buildings. A night-flying bird cawed and glided over the sea. It perched on the arm of a beautiful young woman, a dark-haired brunet with the oddest of eyes: rainbow, from the fieriest red to the flowery shade of violet, from the most liquid gold to the coolest blue. The colors were spheres, always rotating.
She wore a simple, black dress, completely in place in this colorless night. The black-feathered bird flapped its wings, and the women stroked its head and fed it a little shrimp. The woman radiated power, like only a god or a titan could. She created a ball of light in her hand, but when there was a sound of paw steps behind her, the ball lit out.
A sleek black canine scampered to the woman’s side, pushing her head against her master’s hand, making little whimper noises. Her master smiled, but it didn’t last long. The black dog held a silvery piece of fabric in its jaws and she held it up for the woman to take. Her multi eyes flashed. “Perfect, Nixta. Here.” She held out a colorful fish and the dog gobbled it down with a swipe of a golden tongue. Nixta ruffed, and the woman faced the cold ocean.
“Find her,” she ordered. “Bring her to me by the longest day, and then, ravish those irritable heroes.”
To any regular human, the dog’s response wouldn’t be understood, but this woman could understand canines well. The she-dog’s bark could be translated in the back of her mind. What about the goddess, my lady? She will come for her attendant.
“Of course she will,” the woman said. The wind picked up a little, brushing her dark hair in front of her, and ruffling the animals’ fur/feathers. “And I will be waiting, ready to get rid of her once and for all.”
Someone appeared behind her, melting into human form from the shadows. “That was not our master’s orders, young goddess. You will be punished.”
The dark goddess turned around to see a gothic-looking goddess with blackish blue eyes and pale skin, with black lips. “Why would he punish me? One less Olympian would be helpful, would it not, Nyx?”
Nyx snorted. “We are staying low until the master is ready. We overthrow them together, not illegally.”
The dark goddess’ dog, Nixta, growled and lunged at Nyx. “Down, Nixta,” she ordered. She regarded the night goddess. “I have been seeking revenge against my enemy for many, many centuries. I will abide by the Lord Hades’ wishes for everything other than this.”
“I will report this to Hades, you know,” Nyx said. “Perhaps you will reconsider…”
“Anything but this,” the revengeful goddess pleaded. “Give me this chance.”
Nyx’s night-eyes were angry, but she sighed. “Give me one reason why I shouldn’t report you for seeking to kill that goddess.”
“I have more reasons than the millennia I’ve been alive,” the rainbow-eyed goddess retorted. “For one, she helped those heroes stay alive. If it weren’t for them, we would be ruling in the New Age. I will kill them too, once I deal with the wretched moon goddess.”
Nyx took a deep breath. “I shall think about it, witch. In the meantime, prepare yourself for the second strike. When those heroes are out of the way, we will storm Olympus. I do hope we can count on your alliance.”
The dark-haired goddess scratched her dog’s ear, who lolled out her gold tongue lazily. “Allow me to complete my plan, and you will no longer have to worry about those heroes. They fit perfectly into this.”
Nyx bared her teeth. “You’re schemes are insane. Never have you successfully defeated your rival.”
“I want her dead!” the dark goddess hissed.
“And she will be,” Nyx promised. “Perhaps you can gather your despicable serfs to stand with us as well.”
The goddess waved her hand, and ten pale-skinned girls appeared behind her. They had hair made from dark flame and blood eyes. They were beautiful, other than their legs: one bronze, one of a donkey. They smiled evilly, showing off their sharp fangs.
“The empousae will fight for Hades,” the dark goddess said, and the demons cackled. “My servants will take care of any wavering loyalties among the army.” She snapped her fingers, and the ten demons spread their shimmering black bat wings and soared off to the country far, far ahead.
“I am pleased you see the best solution,” Nyx said. “Do not fail us.” Her form flickered like candlelight, and she melted back into the night shadows.
The goddess patted her Nixta’s head, and the Labrador’s beady eyes were bright and her gold tongue was still lolling. “Nixta. Go to America. Find that wretched huntress and fetch her to me. Do it now.”
Nixta barked. Yes, master! I shall do as you say! The black she-dog ruffed again, and then loped off into the water. She grew wide bat wings on her back, and took off the shores.
The witch goddess walked into the shallows up to her ankles, and she moved her pale hand in a circular movement. A shining image appeared, and it was of a goddess with darkish brown hair and silvery yellow eyes. She had a bow drawn and was running as swiftly as a gazelle with shimmering, silver-clothed girls behind her. The witch goddess cackled like her demon servants. Her swirling eyes were bright with anticipation and she smiled greedily.
“Beware, my nemesis,” she warned, though the goddess in the image could not hear her. “You stole my place of power, and I truly deserved it. So long you have run from me, but I will find you. And when I do, you will feel my power. Beware, Artemis.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for everyone who read the first one! This one is better, in my opnion, I promise!