Status: Active.

The ED Diaries

Six: Hayden

The whole concept of a hospital seemed absurd to Hayden. She fainted once and suddenly she is in some kind of mental institute, that’s how she thought about it at least. She didn’t need to be in this place with the hideous rooms, wearing the hideous outfits, looking awful because she was forced to go without make-up. She didn’t belong in a place like that. Was wanting to be perfect such a crime that she had to be locked away for it?

She was sitting on her bed, picking at the ugly clothes that were wrapped around her body. A minimal amount of sun was coming through the only window in the room, lighting up the space just enough to see. She shifted her position making the bed squeak beneath her. She let out a loud breath and stood up, pacing around the room.

Why are you walking, Hayden? You could be running.

The voice inside the girl’s head gave her an amazing idea, like it had many times before. She picked up her pace, jogging in circles around her room. Her jogging soon turned into full blown running. She was breathing hard and her legs started burning. She smiled with satisfaction, the burning felt good, like it was burning off unwanted fat.

Hayden heard the click of the door; someone had opened it. She stopped quickly and sat down, grabbing the side of her bed to stop her head from spinning.

“Are you okay, Hayden dear?” the lady asked, sitting in a chair that was unoccupied in the corner of the room.

“Just fabulous,” Hayden replied, the sarcasm in her voice was easily heard.

“So,” the lady started. “Do you know why you’re here?”

“No. I don’t belong in this prison” she spat out the last word.

“Oh, I can assure you this is not a prison. We aren’t here to punish you, we’re here to help,” the nameless lady chuckled. What was so funny about this?

“What’s your name?” Hayden asked, twisting a loose piece of hair around her finger.

“Oh, how rude of me! I’m Martha,” she stuck out her hand. Hayden looked at it and back at the lady, Martha’s, face. She turned away and stared at the window.

They sat in silence for a minute. Hayden was watching the waves lap up onto the shore of the beach outside while Martha wrote something down.

“When did being pretty become a crime?” Hayden asked, turned back to look at Martha.

“I don’t believe it has ever been a crime,” Martha said, looking up from her paper.

“It obviously is if I’m stuck in this place.” Hayden got up from her seat and started pacing again, picking at a loose string from her awful pants. They rubbed against her legs, making then itch. She sighed and stood up and walked over to her bed, lying down and looking at the ceiling.

“Well dear, I’m going to leave now. I would suggest relaxing on your bed for a while,” she said. Hayden heard her feet shuffle against the ground and the door click shut.

Like hell you’re going to listen to her, Hayden Leigh. Who loves you, me or her?

Hayden turned over and held her head in her hands. She rolled over and closed her eyes, trying to figure out what to do. The voice in her head was repeating itself, telling her to get up and work on being perfect. She sat up suddenly and looked around.

These people took everything from you. You’re not going to sit there and let them do that, are you?

“Of course not,” Hayden replied to the voice only she could hear.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me if it sucks, guys. xD
I was just kinda..going with the flow? Aha.