Status: Finished! I just have to post all of the chapters on here :)

Now I panic?

Chapter Nine

Zach keeps glancing at me in the car on the way to meet his parents, but I still wont say anything to him. Why should I? I have nothing different to tell him, and I never know if he'll explode at me so...

We pull up at a light, and he turns to me. I pull up my purse, pretending to search for something, and he faces forward again.

We pull into a neighborhood, that's filled by the most luxurious houses i've ever seen. They should be in that show Celebrity Cribs. I look down at myself.

I should have worn something classier. I look poor. Slumping down in my seat, I sigh. I don't belong with the rich... I really don't. I belong back in New York with the guys.

Zach slows down, and we pull into the long driveway of a mansion, that's already packed full of cars.

I stare, and so does he. But he breaks first, shaking his head angrily.

"I told them not to do this."

I look at him in confusion.

He just opens his door, getting out. "Come on. They obviously threw us some sort of wedding shower, and half of the country showed up."

His door closes, and he walks around the car to my side, opening the door for me. I don't move though, and my hands start to shake a bit. I try to hide it, but Zach notices anyway, and I see a flash of impatience go across his face. I get out of the car, and start to walk towards the house.

The door closes behind me, then, seconds later, arms wrap around my waist, and i'm lifted off of the ground and carried behind a row of cars.

Zach set me on the ground, and kneels next to me.

"Kortney," he says, firm but gentle. "What's going on?" He starts to move some of my hair out of my face again, but I swat his hand away.

"Why do you do that?" I ask, my voice shaking.

"Do what?"

"You hate me one minute, then you're all gentle and sweet the next. You want to know what's going on? I don't know what you want from me!"

He tries to speak, but I cut him off.

"I don't know what to say you anymore. If I talk, you get mad at me, so i'm just shutting up, and it seems to keep you from hating me, so i'll just stick to it!"

He shakes his head. "Listen-"

"No, you listen, Zach." I stand up. "If you don't like me, fine. But stop with the nice act. Like me, or hate me. I'd rather you treat me like crap, then fake liking me, okay? Just don't-"

Zach puts a finger over my mouth, shushing me, and wraps his other arm around my waist, pulling me back down. He's really strong, I realize, even if he doesn't look it.

My back rests against his chest, but I continue to struggle in his grip, starting to panic. He notices this, and lets go for a moment, turning me to face him, and holds me again.

It takes a while for me to realize that he's actually trying to comfort me, running a hand up and down my back, and tracing random patterns on my shirt... allowing me into his space, really.

I relax, my muscles unclenching, leaning into him more. My eyes close and I feel myself drift slowly towards sleep. Zach feels it too apparently, because he stops, and pulls me away from him a bit.

"Hey, don't fall asleep on me now, we still have a party to attend to.

My eyes fly open, to his amazing green ones, and I feel my face flush. I pull back more, and adjust my top, a bit flustered. We both stand at eh same time, and walk towards the mansion.

I stop him before we get there.

"What did that mean, back there?"

"Wha-"

"I mean... was that just a random, faked act of kindness? Are you going to go back to hating me now, when we go inside?"

He scratches the back of his head, then looks back at me, touching my cheek for a split second before pulling away.

"I can't really explain this to you in a way that you'll understand right now, Kortney. It's really... complicated."

I nod, the rest of my hope gone. "Fine. I get it. You didn't mean it."

"That's not what I said-"

"Forget it; lets go to the party." I run up the porch stairs, and open the front door.

I'm not greeted by the type of party I thought i'd see. Instead, the first things I see, are diamonds, and fancy dresses. Men and women, all dressed in glamorous suits and skirts and sporting million dollar watches and purses.

Waiters are walking around, carrying rinks and refreshments on silver trays.

Zach comes in behind me, and doesn't look happy at all.

"Just great," he mumbles under his breath.

I'm about to say something, when I get a shove from behind, that sends me crashing to the ground, throwing my glasses off of my face.

The whole room goes silent, as I stand back up, picking up my glasses, which are bent at an impossible angle. I turn back around, ready for a fight.

A girl stands behind me, furious. She's tall; almost as tall as Zach, and has long, blonde hair(obviously dyed), and hazel eyes. She takes a threatening step towards me, and I fold my arms, giving her the coldest, most venomous look I can muster up.

"You broke my glasses," I say calmly, starting to walk towards her. Her look falters, as I make my way over to her, intent to kill clear in my eyes.

Zach steps in between us, warning me with his eyes.

"Stop, Kortney."

I don't break my gaze from the girl's, who has started to back up, realizing that i'm not stopping.

"No one pushes me, and walks away without injury."

Zach puts a hand on my arm, and pulls me back next to him.

"I'll handle this okay? Relax."

I blink in response, then jerk my arm out of his hand.

He turns to the girl. "Jessica, this is Kortney, my [i[fiance
. I suggest you apologize to her. Now." He says this calmly, but there's a hint of a threat in his eyes.

"I suggest you go die in a hole!" she shoots back.

I roll my eyes, chuckling. Zach glances at me, and his gaze goes to my mouth. He frowns. "You busted your lip."

I touch a finger to my lip, and when I pull it back, there's blood. I pull a tissue out of my purse and dab gently at it.

The girl starts to cry, but I can tell it's fake. Zach turns back to her.

"I thought you loved me!"

Zach raises his eyebrows at her. "Really? I don't remember saying that."

She's taken aback at his frankness, but it doesn't last long, and she starts up again.

"Why are you marrying that... that immature child?! I'm way better for you than that filthy haired, black trash! And-"

"That's enough, Jessica!!"

I jump. I've never heard Zach yell before. Neither has Jessica, judging by the look on her face.

"You call her immature? Do you realize that this whole time you've been throwing your little diva tantrum, Kortney is standing there, hurt, and she's just as quiet as can be? She, unlike you, actually has a reason to be upset, but she's not; but you actually pushed and hurt her, and you wont shut up!"

He's angrier than i've ever seen him, and I take a few steps back.

"As for what you just called her..." He takes a threatening step towards her, and she quickly scampers back. " I swear, if you weren't a girl, you'd be in the hospital by now. I finally see, that on top of being a rich, spoiled brat, that will do anything she has to to get her way," he pauses, letting this sink in, " you're also a racist. So now you can leave."

He walks over to the door, then turns.

"Im glad i'm marrying Kortney, because it will save me from you."

He opens the front door. "Get out. And don't even think about coming back, or next time, you'll be escorted out by the police."

Jessica, open mouthed and dismissed, runs sobbing out the front door, and Zach slams it after her.

I've backed up, until my back is up against the sofa. Zach runs a hand over his face, which slowly fades from it's shade of red, back to pale white, then turns to me.

"Come here, let me see your lip."

I don't move. He walks towards me, and it takes all of my power not to run. I'm terrified; that I can admit.

He's right in front of me now. I flinch away from his hand when he reaches out to poke my lip. His face goes stony.

"Kortney."

I wince at his tone, scooting away. He grabs my arm, and I lose it, and run. I ignore him calling me.

Up the stairs, and through multiple hallways I go, until I decide i've run enough, and duck into a random room, sliding down against the door, crying.

"Kortney?"

My head swings up, and I see a blurry figure heading toward me. I wipe my eyes. Josh. Oh no...

"Sorry," I say, standing and turning to go. "Don't tell Zach I was here."

Josh grabs my arm, but I jerk it back and turn the doorknob. The door doesn't budge; I look up.

Josh is leaning against the door, his weight holding it shut. I turn, angry.

"Move, Josh."

"What?"

I stare. "What do you mean 'what'? Move."

"What's wrong?"

"Besides the fact that i'm marrying a mass murderer?"

Josh smiles, and straightens up again. "I'm going to tell him you're here. You can't hide forever."

I bite my lip. "Don't."

"I will."

Before he can react, i've thrown the door open, and am running back the way I came. As soon as I run into the room from before, I run into a man, who stumbles. He rights himself, and turns to me. I back up, mortified.

"I am so sorry, sir. I-"

"Kortney!" Zach comes out of another room.

I freeze, looking for an escape route. Josh comes down the stairs. "Kortney."

I'm officially trapped between them, so I do what anyone would do: pass out.

................................................................................

"Are you sure she's okay?"

"Yeah; she's just really stressed out right now. Don't be surprised if this happens a few more times before she relaxes about it."

I gasp, sitting upright. I'm on the couch, and it's dark outside. Josh is on one side of me, and Zach is on the other.

I start to panic, and Zach takes my face between his hands.

"Kortney," he says softly, almost pleading.

No matter how I try to hold them back, the tears fall. Crap. Zach wipes them away with his thumbs, an oddly comforting gesture, and looks more concerned.

"Let me go, please."

He shakes his head. I try to pull away, but he wont let go.

"Let me go, Zach!" I struggle, and he all but pins me down to keep me still.

"Don't be scared."

I stop moving.

"I'm not scared."

"Yes you are. You think I don't get it? I pay attention, Kortney. You're scared of me."

I don't bother to argue anymore. Josh stands up, smiling softly. "I'll leave you two alone."

Zach stares at me, running his thumb over different parts of my face softly. I force myself not to jerk away at his every touch.

He's really good at reading people, I guess.

"Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you, Kortney."

"I- I know..."

He puts a finger over my lips to shush me, like he's done so many times before. Why is he acting like this?

I relax, staring at him. His eyes seem to glow as his looks at me. I'm starting to get uncomfortable now, and try to sit up, but he pushes me back down; again. Now i'm mad, and he smiles, knowing it. Then he does something unexpected.

He leans down, and presses his lips to my jaw. I breathe in sharply as he slides down to my neck, kissing it once, before pulling back. He smiles, running a hand down my face.

"Breathe, Kortney," he says, chuckling.

I suck in air. I didn't even know that I was holding my breath. Finally, Zach sits back up, letting me up as well.

"Where did all the... party people go?" I ask, trying to gain some ground here.

He smirks. "Home. I kicked them out. They left a huge pile of gifts though, if you want to check later."

I nod, yawning.

"Tired?"

I shake my head no.

"Yes you are. Come on."

He grabs my hand, pulling me after him. He leads me into a room, then to the closet, squeezing my hand once when I start to question. Inside the closet, he pushes aside the clothes, revealing a door concealed behind them. He pulls out a key and unlocks it, then leads me through.

I can't help but smile at the room. It looks almost exactly like my room back home, just bigger, and more neat.

"When did you do this?"

He shrugs. "While you were sick. I saw your room, took some pictures, and sent it to the renovators. They tried their best to copy it exactly, but I don't know..."

He walks over to the opposite wall, and presses the lamp fixture on it, and a square of wall moves a side, to reveal another room. His, i'm guessing.

He walks back over to me. "Do you want me to leave the panel open?"

I nod, and he smiles, and starts pointing at things. "That's your bathroom, storage room, that panel there is your closet. Push the light switch twice to open it. See you in the morning okay?"

I hesitate, and he gives me a hug.

"Don't worry. I'm right over there okay? Just call if you need me." I nod, and he leaves.

I change, brush my teeth, and lay down, feeling happier than i've felt in a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I suck... I really do. Please don't hate me for this okay? I know it's been months since i've updated... but i've been working on some other stuff. Other stories, and personal stuff too. School is about to start... so who knows when i'll update again after that.

Also, can someone please give me a real critique? I keep getting comments that say things like, 'this is great', or, 'this is awesome'. Don't get me wrong, I love that. But I post things on here, to get some creative feedback. So please this time, tell me my mistakes, and if it's not realistic enough, let me know how I can improve. Just, please, something.

I've been sitting her typing since 4:02, and it's 7:27 now. I need some sort of reward for my hard typing. LOL... seriously. Thanks to all who commented last time... and please comment this time. It says I have 40 readers, but only 6 have commented. Geez...

Okay, i'm done complaining. Bye

P.S
I added in another half of another chapter, as a special something for making you guys wait so long. Again, sorry.

_TECH+