Status: Finished! I just have to post all of the chapters on here :)

Now I panic?

Chapter Thirteen

3 weeks later

"Derek, has Kortney called you?"

Derek is playing my PS3, but stops abruptly when I ask him this. "Crap! I totally forgot!"

I roll my eyes. "Forgot what?"

"Kortney did call, yesterday. But Lacey was over, and I was about to dump her, so I told Kortney that I couldn't talk. I meant to call her back..."

Of course. Why the heck did I leave it to Derek to pass on messages? I honestly have no idea. "You need to call her back right now."

"But I'm in the middle of a level. It can wait."

I run a hand through my hair, and stand up. Why can't Derek see that this is important to me? I honestly am trying to get Kortney back here, and he's making things difficult. Silent' I jerk the plug out of the wall, and the tv screen goes black.

"What the heck, man?!"

"Call her back, now! This second. You don't get how important this is to me. I need to get her back. Call her."

Derek stares at me for a good minute, before reaching into his pocket for his phone.

I go downstairs, and into the kitchen to get a snack. Josh is sitting at the counter, eating a sub, but gets up to go when I come in. I stand in his path.

"Move, Zach." He doesn't even look at me.

"I'm trying to fix this, Josh. Alright? I'm trying. I sent her some stuff, and i'm waiting for her to call me."

He looks at me now. "I don't believe you."

"I didn't ask you to. Just wanted to let you know that i'm doing something about it."

I step past him, going to make myself a sandwich. I hope Kortney didn't find some other reason to be mad at me because of that stuff I sent her. She seems to find a way to get mad at me for just about anything.

A bag slams down onto the table next to me, and I leap out of my chair. Josh laughs bitterly. "I'm going to work. If you really are trying to get Kortney back, I'm willing to help in any way I can."

I sit back down, trying to get my breathing back down to normal. "Thanks. Bye."

With a nod, he leaves, and everything is quiet again.

...........................................................................................

"So what'd she say?"

Derek doesn't look up from the paper he's writing. "She didn't pick up. I left a message."

My hope fades again, and I plop down into a chair, pulling out my cell. Maybe I should call her...

Derek gets up suddenly. "I'm goin' home. Later."

"Why?"

"You need to call your girl, right?"

He's always been able to read me like that. "Alright. I'll call you later to tell you how it went."

As soon as I hear the front door close, I dial Kortney's number.

"Hello?"

I feel my hope rise again at her voice. I've never heard her this happy.

"Hi... it's Zach."

There's a long silence, and my hope dies a bit more when she answers.

"Oh. Hi. What's up?" Her voice has gone from happy, to quiet and guarded, in five seconds.

"I just wanted to know how you were doing. I haven't heard anything from you in a few weeks, so..."

There's some rustling in the background on her end, and then her voice comes back, clearer now. "Actually, I was thinking about coming back over to visit soon. I don't like phone conversations. I like to be able to see who i'm talking to."

I smile. :Does that mean that i'll be seeing you soon?

I can hear the smile in her voice too, when she answers. "Maybe; i'm still thinking."

"How do you like the stuff I sent you?"

"I... haven't opened it yet, actually."

"What? Why not?"

"I don't know. I've had a lot of things on my mind lately. Taking care of the guys, and school.... I'll open them tonight, okay?"

"Alright. Kortney?"

She clears her throat. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"Tell me that when I see you, not over the phone."

"So you are coming. I knew it."

I hear her try to stifle as laugh. "Bye Zach."

"Bye."

I hang up, feeling a new sense of happiness. Things might work out after all.

KORTNEY'S POV

I hang up with Zach, and burst out laughing. Things might be alright after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. There. I updated, especially for yoamma. She takes all the credit for the idea of putting Zach's POV in here. I think i'm going to put his POV in her a lot more often, so be ready to get inside his head. LOL.

As always, comment, and subscribe, and all that jazz. Baii!

-TECH-