Status: Finished! I just have to post all of the chapters on here :)

Now I panic?

Chapter Nineteen

Josh walks in, and takes a seat at the foot of my bed. I look up from my laptop. "Hey?"

"Hey."

He doesn't say anything else, so I close my laptop, turning to face him fully. "So... what's going on? Is something wrong?"

"Our grandparents are coming tomorrow."

"Oh... okay. Why do you look so upset?"

He runs a hand through his hair, not meeting my eyes. "Our grandparents... they're... really racist, Kortney. They're still stuck in the days of... you know... slavery and stuff. I just felt like I should warn you properly. Zach will too, i'm sure, but I wanted to say it first."

This is news to me. "Why are they coming then?"

"They want to meet you for themselves. It's not going to be very pleasant for you. But Kortney?"

"Yeah?" I swallow nervously.

"Whatever you do: stay away from my grandfather. He will hurt you if he gets the chance. Stay with Zach or me the whole time they're here. Don't go anywhere alone. Do you hear me?"

I nod quickly at his grave expression. "W-where is Zach now?" He was gone when I woke up...

Josh stands again, gesturing for me to follow. We walk downstairs, and he leads me through the kitchen, and through the back door into the backyard.

I've never been in their backyard before, but i'm not surprised by how spacious it is. There are no fountains or anything like I expected, however. It's really plain, with a few trees, surrounded by the greenest grass you'd ever see. But that's it.

Way towards the back of the yard, we near a shed. A really grimy-looking toolshed, that I doubt anyone has cleaned for decades. Josh stops at the door, and nods at it. "He's in there. Have fun."

He pauses after a few steps, and turns back. "Not too much fun. I don't want to be an uncle yet."

I grin, and look down. "We wont surprise you like that, Josh."

When he walks back into the house, I turn back to the rusty monstrosity, not wanting to touch it. But I muster up the courage, and knock, quickly, and jerk my hand back as if my fingers are on fire.

"What?" Zach calls from inside.

"Um, it's Kortney. If you're busy though-"

The door swings open, showing Zach's... glowing face. Not literally, but he has a certain happiness that's just vibrating off of him. "Hey baby." He takes my arm, dragging me in, and wraps me up into a tight hug.

"What are you doing here? I didn't know that you knew where I was."

I take a moment to collect my thoughts away from the fact that he smell so good. "I didn't. Josh brought me here."

He nods, shutting the door behind us, and I let my eyes adjust to the lighting in here. When they finally do, I can only stare.

In stark contrast to the outside of the shed, the inside is completely decked out in technology and posters. "Wow..."

He beams proudly. "I know. It took me years to get it like this. This is just where I come to relax and let go. I don't know how I really feel about you knowing about it, actually..."

I bite my lip. "I'll go. I totally understand-"

He grabs me around the waist, lifting me up and carrying me across the room. He sits on the sofa with me on his lap. "No. I like that we have a space to share now, that's not in my parents house."

I play with the his fingers absently, thinking. "You know... we're gonna have to move out eventually. You need a job."

He frowns playfully. "You're only allowed to bug me about getting a job after we're married. It's way too soon for that. We have to finish school first."

School... i'd forgotten all about school. How am I gonna make up all the work i've missed? And how will Zach?

"Penny for your thoughts," Zach mumbles, messing with my hair, wrapping one of my locs around his finger.

I give him a small grin. "That's all my thoughts are worth? You're gonna have to do better than that."

He lifts my hand to his lips, kissing the back. "Really, Kortney. Something's wrong. What is it?"

I take a deep breath, and tell him what Josh told me.

His face goes from calm, to blank, to annoyed, to furious in a matter of seconds. I'm actually afraid for a minute. I put my hands on either side of his face, looking into his eyes, which are blazing with heat. "Zach? Calm down... you're scaring me..."

He doesn't even hear me. "They are not coming here. I wont allow it. I'm going to talk to my parents."

But I hang onto his neck when he tries to stand. "Zach! Wait! You really need to calm down."

He tries to unhook my arms from around his neck, and, doing the only thing that comes to mind, I scream. Loudly, as if he hurt me.

He jumps, and freezes, his hands still wrapped around my arms. "What?!"

I look at him, determined. "Calm. Down. Zach."

He sighs. "Kortney, my grandparents are going to make your life a living-"

"I can deal with them, Zach. I'm not a little kid."

He looks into my eyes, searching, before nodding. "Just... stay close to me okay?"

"I will."

He kisses me gently, and then once more, before, taking my hand. The one with my ring. "I'm not going to let them ruin this for me. I'll die first."

I giggle. "When did you get so dramatic?"

He grins, and lifts me up with him, carrying me bridal-style to the door. "I'm still talking to my parents though. You have to come to make sure I don't try to kill them. I'm still angry."

"Lead on."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this was short, but my mom keeps telling me that it's time for bed (XP).

Next chapter will be better I promise. I still thought it wuz kawaii... lol...

Anyways: comment, subscribe, and enjoy.

Peace love and hugs *flashes peace sign*