Status: Finished! I just have to post all of the chapters on here :)

Now I panic?

Chapter Twenty one

"So... i'm guessing this means that they hated her?" Derek grimaces, looking as angry as I feel.

"Yes it does mean that. But it also means that we won," I say, content.

He looks confused. "How did you win? You're the one who got hit..."

I smile. "Yeah, but we got the last word. If all else fails, get the last word. It makes you feel better."

Zach hasn't stopped glaring at his pizza since we met Derek here. I reach out and touch his hand gently. "Zach... please stop that. I'm fine, really."

"When did you get hit worse, Kortney? And where did you get that scar on your stomach?" He looks at me, and I know that he wont let this go until I tell him.

Derek looks down at my stomach, curious. "What scar?"

Sighing, I push away from the table slightly, and lift up the hem of my shirt so he can see the long, dark scar that stretches across to my hips. He whistles low, his eyebrows raised, and I cover it back up.

"Holy crap... did you get an abortion?"

I glare at him, pushing back my chair completely. His grin disappears. "That's not funny. Abortion is serious. It's murder. I would never do that- what the heck gave you that idea?"

Seeing how livid I am, he holds his hands out in surrender. "Alright alright, calm down. It was a joke. I know you wouldn't do something like that. Don't kill me, okay?"

Zach levels his eyes on me, observing. "Why are you so worked up over this? It sounds like..." I get what he's trying to say, but choose to ignore it.

"It was a long time ago. Mark and the guys had a gig at some club..." I shut my eyes against the memory, not wanting to remember.

"They were backstage getting ready, and I was walking around, dancing and stuff. I... I felt like someone was watching me, and I tried to keep an eye out but it just wasn't good enough."

Zach and Derek stay silent, listening intently.

"This guy started talking to me, and he seemed nice enough, but it wasn't long before I knew something was wrong. I was only twelve but I had always been able to sense these things, you know?"

Not Zach interrupts. "YOu were only twelve? What were you doing in a club? Didn't they know-"

"I had insisted. I wanted to come, and nothing they said would've convinced me otherwise. I was a kid, what do you expect?" Taking a deep breath, I continue.

"I remember the man had gotten really drunk. I think I might have been a little off too. Not drunk, but tired from school and everything. Anyways... I got up to go check on the guys-"

"They should have been checking on you," Zach mumbles darkly.

"And the man just grabbed me, and dragged me outside. I tried to fight him, but... I was a twelve year old going up against a thirty-year-old man. He dragged me into the alley behind the club, kicking and screaming, and started grabbing my chest and trying to kiss me. I remember screaming until my lungs felt ready to explode."

I pause, catching my breath. "After a few minutes, he got tired of it and started hurting me. Really hurting me. He punched me and kicked me and tried to cover my mouth with his hand. I just bit him and continued to scream. Finally, he took out a knife..." I suck in a breath, tears coming to my eyes as I remember the pain, and continue in choking gasps.

"He threatened to kill me, and he managed to get my shirt off... and he started to cut me everywhere. I have scars like this all over my chest and arms... I had started to scream again, just from the pain, and the shock of of my blood seeping out. He would have killed me right then and there, but a couple out for a walk heard me when they passed by the alley. The woman's husband came while she called 911, and he managed to find a pipe."

"He hit the man in the head, and I remember him falling onto me, unconscious. I still hadn't stopped screaming though. The woman's husband had managed to wrap my deepest cuts in his jacket, until the ambulance came. The last thing I remember was seeing Mark and the guys over me, with murder in their eyes, telling me it was going to be fine... that i'd be fine... before I blacked out."

Finished, for the most part, I push back my chair and stand. "Excuse me," I say between breaths. I'm really close to a panic attack right now, and I need to calm down.

In the bathroom, I splash water on my face, washing away the tears. I haven't told anyone the full story of what happened that night since the trial. It feels terrible, but good at the same time, knowing that now I don't have any secrets that Zach doesn't know about.

I pull up my shirt fully, looking at the numerous scars covering my chest and stomach. Eventually, Zach is going to want... sex. I wont until we're married, but when that time comes, I don't want to think of what he'll think of these. I think I look like a freak...

That man left much more scarring on the inside then on the outside though. For years, I was terrified to go anywhere without one of the guys. I couldn't talk to any man, not even my teachers. It wasn't until I turned fifteen, that I started to get more comfortable with men again. Now I have only a small bit of trepidation around them, but i've gotten a lot better.

Calmed again, I wipe my face with a paper towel and go back out to the table, careful to keep my face blank. Zach takes my hand before I sit down, and pulls me onto his lap, hugging me tightly. Derek smiles softly, turning away politely.

"I am so sorry," he mumbles into my hair.

"Don't be. It was a long time ago. I'm over it."

He doesn't let me go, holding me tighter. "I know it still hurts Kortney. If those tears proved anythings, it was that you're still hurting. I want to kill the bastard who did that to you. I hope he's still in jail."

I sniff. "Actually, he got out last year. Now he has a wife and kids, and he's doing well. He had a drinking problem, but he got help."

"It's still stupid that it took him almost [i[killing you for him to get that," Zach growls.

I pull back, and give him a small smile I don't really feel. "I'm just glad he wont hurt any other unfortunate little girl."

Zach shakes his head. "You're too nice for your own good, you know that?"

Zach's POV..........................................................

Kortney has been silent for the whole car ride home. I keep my hand rested on her leg comfortingly, and she smiles at me every once in awhile. I know that she just needs some time to relax again.

When we pull into the driveway, I pull her to me for a kiss, letting it last longer than usual. When we separate, she bites her lip, looking as if she wants to say something.

"What is it, baby?"

She takes a deep breath. "Zach... I made a promise, when I was ten. To Mark and the guys. It might seem stupid to someone like you, or it might not, but I just want you to know my position. Okay?"

I nods, uneasy. I have a feeling I know what she's going to say...

"I wont have sex until I get married. Until we get married."

I laugh, nodding. I see a look cross over her face, before it goes blank again, and shut up.

She makes to get out, avoiding my eyes, and I grab her arm, pulling her to me. "It's okay, Kortney. I understand. To be honest, I want the same thing."

She looks so shocked, I feel a bit offended.

"So you're still-"

"Yeah. What, did you think I was going around doing it with every girl I met?"

She looks down, and I know that that is what she was thinking.

"It's just that, most guys like you. Or, most guys with a lot of money, usually take every chance they can get. I've known a lot of guys like that. Trust me."

I chuckle at her obvious discomfort. "Well i'm not like that. Come on, it's getting hot."

We get out and head inside, and into a huge argument between my parents and my grandparents. I sigh, but Kortney steps forward.

"HEY!!" she yells.

Everyone shuts up, turning to us, and Kortney turns to each of them. "Can you all try and be a bit more quiet? I know you're probably fighting about me, but..." she throws her hands up in frustration. "You're acting more like 'animals', then I am. I haven't raised my voice once, and I haven't been rude. You act like you're so superior, but if being above people means that you act like buffoons about the color of someone's skin, then i'm glad i'm 'below you'."

She walks to the stairs, and turns back to my grandparents. "I wanted nothing more than to meet the grandparents of my fiance, and have a nice weekend. But it seems like that wont happen. So I'll be sure to stay out of your way during your visit."

Before she turns, she shrugs in defeat. "I love Zach, okay? And i'm sure he loves me too. I don't plan on letting you two ruin things for us. So do whatever you want. Trash talk about me, hit me, destroy my thing- I don't care. I've gone through way more than you can imagine in my life. Nothing you do will faze me. I'm going to bed."

At this, she turns, walking upstairs.

Grandma glares at her back halfheartedly. "What does she think is so bad that she's been through? I'm sure the worst thing that's happened to her is... is... missing the bus. she's obviously a spoiled-"

"Try almost getting raped and killed when you're ELEVEN YEARS OLD!!!" I scream at them. "You two are just awful. You say you want what's best for me? Then quit bothering my fiance! Kortney is what's best for me." I look them over in disgust. "Get over yourselves."

I follow Kortney upstairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
...
...
...
...
...

Alright. Chapter. I'm tired...

I'm not asking for comments, or subscription, or even readers this time. I'm posting this because I WANT to now. What you guys do is up to you.

Maybe i'm just depressed because of this chapter, or whatever... idk & idc. I'm going to take a nap...

_TECH_