Status: Finished! I just have to post all of the chapters on here :)

Now I panic?

Chapter Twenty Two

Kortney's POV

I wake with the feeling of eyes on me, and brace myself for whoever it may be before opening my eyes fully.

"Morning, sleeping beauty."

"Kor, get up! It's already 12."

"Leave her alone and let her sleep, she's obviously in distress."

I gasp, leaping off of the bed into Mark's arms, and promptly burst into tears.

"See what you did? I told you to let her sleep," Peter says, although I can hear the smile in his voice.

Mark holds me tight, probably holding back tears of his own. "Shhh... it's ok Kor, we're all here. It's gonna be okay."

"No it's not!" I sob. "Zach's grandparents hate me, Mark! I have a really bad feeling..."

"I missed you too," he murmurs, a smile in his voice.

I lift my head from his chest."Oh. Of course I missed you guys. Why didn't you call- I would've been up and dressed and-oh my gosh i'm a mess. I need to change."

He doesn't let me go, shaking his head. "Already thinking like the rich, huh? We didn't call because your fiance wanted to surprise you. Plus we knew you would try and get dressed up before we got here, and we wanted a chance to see you like you normally look for us first before you got all..."

"Dressed as a young lady should be dressed," I supply for him, grimacing. "But I have to admit, I look pretty good while I am dressed like that. And it's not as uncomfortable as it used to be. Mom will be so proud."

The door opens, and Zach walks in, looking slightly smug. "Surprise."

I roll my eyes, standing, and go over to hug him. "Thank you so much..."

I hear Mark and the guys gag, and fake disgust, and laugh a little bit. "Hey, this is our room. You don't like it, get out." I turn and stick my tongue out at them so they see i'm joking.

Mark changes the subject, and I pull away from Zach, knowing Mark is uncomfortable with it.

"Your grandparents are nice, Zach."

Zach and I just stare at him in disbelief. "What?"

"What?" He looks confused.

When I take in Mark's appearance again, it makes complete and total sense. He looks white. From his skin, to his hair, he resembles our dad. See, our Mom is black and our dad is white. I probably should have mentioned that sooner, but what are you gonna do? I look pure black, and Mark looks, you guessed it, pure white, even though we're mixed.

"Of course they were nice to you. Tell them you're half black, and watch them turn on you. I dare you."

Pissed off now, I go into my bathroom, shower, and emerge in a towel. The guys have gone, and Zach sits on my bed, an amused look on his face. "You looked ready to kill something when you went in there. I half expected to hear everything thrown around and broken."

"I had half a mind to," I mumble.

I go over to my closet, and search through the items for something that might gain me some points with his grandparents. He seems to know what i'm doing, because he comes over and helps me look.

"Grandma says all proper young ladies should know how to wear a skirt, and she never leaves her room in anything less than, well, everything... so..." He picks out a deep purple pencil skirt, hands it to me, and then finds a charcoal grey blouse with ruffles along the collar and buttons. What surprises me, is that it actually goes together. He shrugs when I look at him in shock.

"My cousin Carly, she's 34, trained me to have "an eye for good fashion" as she put it, when I was younger. She said that one day i'd get married, and there would be days my wife wouldn't know what to wear, so I should be able to pick something, or buy something decent for her. Guess she knew what she was talking about."

While he says this, he manages to find a pair of silver heels, and digs around in my jewelry, coming up with a pair of silver dangly ones with diamonds all over them, and a simple diamond necklace. He pushes all the items into my arms, and turns me to the bathroom. "Change."

I go, a bit dazed, and slip on all of the items. I even tuck in the blouse like i've seen other girls do. I emerge, actually feeling confident in myself for once.

Zach stand when he sees me, and looks me over form head to toe. "How old are you again?" he asks, and I almost laugh at his expression. "I'm serious. Are you sure you're not older than me? You look, like, twenty five."

I walk up to him, and give him a peck on the lips before grabbing his hand and pulling him after me down the stairs. Mark and the guys, Zach's parents, and his grandparents all sit in the main room, talking. All talking stops when then see Zach and I. Or, more like when they see me.

The guys, for one, look completely stunned. Mark actually gets up and comes over to me, swiping a thumb over my cheek, and looks at it. "Not even any makeup," he says, surprised.

"Kortney honey you look beautiful," Zach's mom says, looking proud. I smile at her, and glance at Zach's grandparents.

His grandmother stares at me, looking slightly shocked. I try my best not to laugh at her expression. "I must say... you clean up quite nicely girl." She straightens her posture, going back to the nice, respectable woman she's supposed to be. "Which is just as well. It'd be even worse to have not only a black girl marry my grandson, but a sloppy one."

I keep my smile in check with considerable effort, and choose to take this as more of a compliment than an insult, even though it's really not. "Thank you. Have you all eaten? I'd be happy to make breakfast."

Zach's grandfather smiles at me cruely. "Finally acting as a good servant should, I see. It's about time."

I turn to him, and putv on my best indignant look. "Sir, I offered because that's what every good hostess should do. I am not a slave, and I will not be treated like one. If you do not want anything, i'd prefer you said that."

He and I engage in a staring match that seems to go on forever, but Josh butts in suddenly. "I don't know about anyone else, but I know i'm starving. I'll take you up on that offer."

Happy for a distraction, I nod, smiling. "Anyone else?"

Zach's grandmother holds out her empty water glass. "Water with three ice cubes and a twist of lime. And hurry up, i'm thirsty."

My smile returns, not for show, but genuinely because I find her amusing. "Yes 'my lady'. And while i'm at it should I go wash your car? Make your bed? Feed you?" Her face flames red, and her husband stands.

"You will not disrespect my wife, girl. I suggest you go do as you're told."

Not backing down, I turn to him. "And I suggest that you start showing me some respect if you want any in return. You call me an animal? You both have been acting like apes since you walked in this house. Tell me why you think the way you do sir. I've been nothing but gracious, showing the most kindness towards you, trying to win your favor. For my fiance. But I'm done."

I set the glass down on the table. "You will get your own water, food, and anything else you might possibly need yourselves, until I start being respected. You deserve nothing from me, so I'll give you nothing."

I step so that we're toe to toe, glaring holes in him. "And I swear to god if you ever lay hand on me again, i'm going to cause you ten times the pain I've felt being in your presence."

Taking a step back, I glue my smile in place once more. "Have a nice stay here. Excuse me."

Without looking back, I start making my way to the door, but just before I get there, I hear Zach's mom cry out in surprise, and voices rising. I feel a presence behind me, and spin just in time to recieve a punch to my jaw so hard, I see sparks before falling to the ground.

A kick is aimed at my side, but I don't feel any of it anymore as blind rage and instinct take over. Quickly, I snap out my foot, propelling it into the back of his knee. I hear a sharp crack as it makes contact, and a yell of pain follows. But I dont stop there, climbing to my knees, and drawing his arm behind his bac at a sharp angle.

"I could dislocate your shoulder roght now, if I wanted to," I say, fighting through my pain to keep him still. "I warned you not to touch me, didn't I?" Slowly, I let him go, pushing to my feet and out of his reach.

Blood oozes from my nose, and my side screams in anguish, filling my eyes with tears. "Whatever this is about, I have nothing to do with it. Whatever you hate me for, has nothing to do with me! You're mad at something my ancestors did to you, carrying a grudge all the way till now. Decades later. Don't worry i'll be out of your way now. But nothing you do to me will stop me from marrying Zach."

Grabbing a cocktail napkin I run out the door, knowing Zach will be right behind me. Sure enough, when I stop by his car, a couple seconds later his arms wrap around me, and I scry into his shoulder. "I need to get away from here," I sob.

He helps me into the car, and we set off, not heading anywhere in particular.

..........................................................................

"I'm calling the police," Zach announces suddenly. I look up at him as we walk down the beach, next to the water.

"What? No, don't. I'm f-"

"He would've put you in the hospital, Kortney. Im calling the police whether you want me to or not. I told him I would, and it was his choice not to listen."

I stop, turning to face him. "Zach-"

"Have you seen the bruise on your cheek, Kortney? And the one on your side is even worse. I will not let him get away with this."

Him being absolutely adamant about it, I let it go, but don't walk any further. Instead, I sink down to the sand, facing the ocean. Zach sits behind me and pulls me against him. I relax for the first time in a few days. Is this what our marriage will be like? No worries, nothing to worry about... just enjoying each other's company?

Of course not. I heard that once you get married, things get hard. Bills and stuff you have to share... the sharing I don't mind, but will I need to get a job?

"Fifty," Zach mumbles. I smile. Whenever we want to know what the other is thinking, we'll say an amount we'd be willing to pay for it. Stupid I know, but hey...

"Just wondering if it'll still be like this after we get married... or will things change in a bad way. I hope not. I don't want to get divorced in a year or two... like all my family... except my parents."

Zach takes a deep breath. "I can't see the future, Kortney... but if I have anything to say about it, we will always be together. You'll have to put a restraining order on me to keep me away." His arms tighten around me, and he rests his chin on my head.

"This has all gone very quickly. We were pretty much forced together, and I still have lots to learn about you. But I like what I know so far. A lot. I hope you aren't disappointed though."

I smile. "Only one thing."

He looks down at me, looking apprehensive.

"Zach... you snore like a hobo."

He looks so blank, that for a while I wonder if he's angry at me. But then he smiles. "You know I still have to get you back for threatening my car with your disgusting ice cream..."

I stick my tongue out at him. "Catch me, i've gotten faster."

With that, I jump up and bolt, leaving him in the sand alone. Or so I thought. Within seconds, his arms close around my waist, and i'm lifted up into the air over his head.

"Zach! Put me down, what are you doing?!"

"Getting revenge," he says simply.

I turn in the direction we're moving, and only see ocean. Wait... ocean? He wouldn't...

He stops at the water's edge, and hangs me upside down by my hips in front of his face. "Ready?" He asks.

"I swear, if you drop me-"

"You'll never endanger my car again." He kisses my cheek, and for a split second I think he's changed his mind. "Don't ever do it again," he whispers, and throws me.

....................................................................................

Blue lights shine in front of the Thomas mansion as we drive down the street towards it. "Zach..."

"I told you I was going to, Kortney. I mean what I say."

I turn to him in confusion. "When did you call? I never saw you on the phone."

He glances at me. "When you were wringing out your hair and clothes."

Sitting back, I twist my fingers, suddenly nervous. "What if they don't arrest him? He'll want revenge, Zach. They have money... they can get away with things like this..."

He pulls into the driveway, and turns to me. "What do you mean?"

"That man who attacked me would have gotten away with it if my parents hadn't made such a big deal over it. Once they found out their last name, and who they were, the guy was locked up tight. People with nothing get abused every day, Zach. Simply because this messed up world thinks it's not worth it to help them."

He says nothing, and the sun shines off of his sunglasses. Finally, after a long stretch of silence, he gets out of the car, and comes to my side. Opening my door, he takes my hand and pulls me out. "We'll see who comes out of this above hand. I promise you it'll be us. I don't break my promises."

I nod, and we start up to the house, ,aadjusting my still slightly damp hair and clothes that cling to my body uncomfortably.

Zach, unlocks the door and holds it open for me, and take a stabilizing breath before stepping inside. The main room is filled with police officers, and men and women in suits outnumber the members of the family.

The officer closest to the door, turns to us. He's a tall brown skinned man, with a shaved head and dark brown eyes. Seeing him makes me feel slightly more safe, for reasons I can't explain, and as soon as he sees me his eyes soften.

I watch his gaze stray to my cheek, and he nods. "Are you Kortney, miss?"

I glance at Zach befoore nodding. "Yes, that's me."

He steps to the side, revealing Mr. Thomas. I pause, stepping back into Zach involuntarily. He puts a hand on my shoulder comfortingly, and squeezes my hand. "He wont hurt you. Not with all these cops around," he mumbles in my ear.

"Is this the man that attacked you, Ms. Rene?" The man asks.

I swallow, locking eyes with Mr. Thomas. "Yes, it is."

The officer nods, and I notice that Mr. Thomas is in cuffs already.

A female officer comes forward; a short, red-headed lady, and leads him out the door.

Another officer approaches, and smiles reassuringly. "We'll need to ask you a few questions, Ms. Rene, and then we will be out of you and your..." He glances a Zach.

"Fiance," I supply for him, smiling softly.

"Ah yes. You and you fiance will be able to go back to your normal activities. If you'll both follow me?"

We start after him, and Zach squeezes my hand again. "Who's winning, baby? Care to tell me?"

I shake my head, hiding a smile. "Not until it's set in stone."

"In that case i'll need to hear it twice. Because we've already won."

I roll my eyes. I'm safe with Zach. Now I know that for sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow this is So So late I know. How many months has it been-care to count? Anyways it's just been crazy. I had a surgery and getting ready for school... friends...

srry, no more excuses, but I am sorry T_T...

anywys, read subcribe enjoy!! Comments are always appreciated. I love you guys so much. All my fans(if I have any left). Forgive me.

_TECH_