Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Two Chapter Twelve: Emotional Control (Summer 2012)

Hanru Narrating: I have recently learned that life is spontaneous and unpredictable. Anyone’s life could go south at any moment. Many men say that “people never change.” But people change all the time. Life is about evolution and is based on change. If a person wishes to change, they should have at least one chance to prove themselves. Everyone deserves a second chance.

(Hanru’s house, 3:30AM)

(Hanru lies in his bed alone staring at the ceiling. His doorbell rings. Hanru takes his time to get up and walk downstairs to the front door. He answers it and its Mamimi. Her eyes are red from recently shed tears and she attempts to hold back her sorrowful feelings. She tries to act natural. Hanru notices a suspicious black car parked on the curb in front of His house. The lights are on and the windows are tinted.)

Mimi: Hey, Han… My father very aggressively said I should come by your house to get what’s left of my things.

Hanru: Yeah, I have it right here in the living room; come in.

Mimi: Actually, I’m kinda in a rush. I have someone waiting on me in the car.

Hanru: What’s wrong, Mimi, I can tell-

Mimi: Don’t. Just please, Hanru, don’t try to help me; I don’t need it.

Hanru: (Thinking) Her father must have kicked her out. I wonder who she’s moving in with.

Mimi: Please, can I just have my stuff now?

Hanru: Yeah, sure.

Natasha: (Stands behind Mimi) Take control of the situation. You’ll give her the stuff back after she tells you who’s in the car.

Hanru: Before I give you the bag, you mind telling me who you’re moving in with?

Mimi: (Stammering) Uh… It’s… a family member. You don’t know ‘em.

Hanru: You swallowed when you answered; you’re lying to me.

Mimi: (Defensive) Look, just give me my stuff!

(Hanru reaches into his pocket to make sure he has his house key. He locks the bottom lock of the front door, then walks out to the front door. He closes the door and begins walking toward the black car. Mimi gets nervous and begins to follow Hanru through the yard.)

Mimi: I said give me stuff, Hanru, what are you doing?!

Hanru: I’m seeing who’s in the car. I know your dad kicked you out, Mimi. I’m just curious to know who you’re gonna be living with.

(Mimi grabs Hanru’s arm and the two of them stop walking. Mimi stands in front of Hanru to get in his way.)

Mimi: It’s none of your business who’s in that car! Go get my stuff now!

(The car turns off and Mimi’s boyfriend Chris walks out from the driver seat. He leaves the door open and rests one arm on the top of the door.)

Chris: Hey, Jessi, what’s going on?

Hanru: Who is Jessi?

Mimi: Chris!

Chris: Oh, my bad, baby, I forgot your friends don’t know about that name.

Hanru: What name?

Mimi: Jessica’s my real name. Don’t ask me why I changed it; I just did.

Hanru: I’ve known you for 10 years. You never told me your name wasn’t Mamimi. Maybe you did and I just forgot.

Jessica: I’m starting a new life now, Hanru. I’m moving in with my boyfriend Chris and I’m changing my life. I need a fresh new start, and it starts by getting rid of those parents of mine. I’m permanently cutting them from my life and I’m never tuning back.

Hanru: Alright, Jessica. You enjoy your new life. Don’t let me hold you back.

Jessica: You’re holding me back by not giving me my stuff.

Hanru: Let me go get that for you.

Jessica: Please do hurry. And when you do come back, I have something to talk to you about. It’s about a “project” I have for you. I know it’s been three years since you’ve last completed a project, but this one’s different. This woman needs you.

Hanru: You disappoint me. You really do… Jessica.

(Vivica’s Home)

(The next day, Hanru, Lee, and Jessica enter a Mexican lady’s home. They sit in her beautifully decorated dining room and talk on the couches. The Mexican lady is Vivica. She holds a photo album in her hand.)

Vivica: You’re friend told me you do detective work.

Hanru: I use to. I quit 3 years ago.

Vivica: Please… I do not wish to burden you with my troubles, but I’m asking you to please make an exception for my baby Gabriel. If you are going to do this one last time, please let it be for him. He’s an innocent boy.

Hanru: Okay, so, so far what you told me is that… Your son shot and killed a cop in front of a gas station. The police have it on the security camera and you believe he is innocent.

Vivica: I know my boy is innocent. He loves cops. When he was a boy, he use to want to be a cop, or a lawyer. He only wanted to help people.

Natasha: (Standing behind Vivica) This lady is very persistent and boring. Her son is obviously guilty and if he is the sweet little muffin drop that his mommy says he is, he deserves to be in jail so he can toughen up. (Yells in Vivica’s ears) Hey, lady! Your son is a cop killer! Deal with it and move on!

Vivica: Why are you so quiet?

Hanru: Huh? Oh uh, sorry. (Rubs his eyes with his fingers)

Vivica: I can pay you. Please at least try. God sent you to me for a reason. It is his plan for you to help.

Natasha: This lady is desperate. How pathetic.

Hanru: (Sighs) I’ll do it for you, ma’am. But you cannot tell anyone about this. You cannot tell anyone you had any connection with me.

Vivica: (Smiles and a tear falls from her eyes) Yes, of course. (Hugs Hanru) God bless your kind heart, child.

(Kaito Zonoda, Mikhail, Koroshi the bodyguard, and LJ are all sitting on the balcony of a huge mansion. They enjoy the site of the beautiful ocean and the beach. They all sit at a big round table eating various foods, and playing cards. Kaito smokes on a cigar and is acting very casual and friendly. A topless brunette in a maid costume and high heels walks up to the table with a tray in her hand.

Claudia: Anything else I can do for you, or to you, Mr. Zonoda?

Kaito: You’re sweet, you know that, Claudia? You’re such a sweet heart. I got something for you.

(Kaito reaches into a bag under the table and pulls out huge stacks of money. Claudia cracks a smile.)
Claudia: (Giggles) Thank you, sir.

Kaito: Maybe I can pay you for some overtime at my place.

Claudia: For you, I’ll work the graveyard shift.

Kaito: See you tonight.

Claudia: See you tonight. (Walks away)

(Mikhail clears his throat. LJ seems a bit nervous. Kaito pays attention to the table.)

Kaito: That’s a pretty hot piece, no?

Mikhail: Yes, Kaito; she’s very beautiful.

Kaito: (Burns his fingers on his food) I was talking about these chicken stripes.

Mikhail: Kaito, we need to focus on the situation at hand.

Kaito: (Puffs his cigar) Oh right, the ball is in my court right? My hand isn’t very good, but I’m confident I’ll obtain victory in this game.

Mikhail: The ball is in your court, Kaito, but you’re not playing the right game. Those thugs still have your sister, and you still have their money.

Kaito: Let’s get one thing straight, Mikhail. I’m in control of this situation. I choose the outcome of things. (Puffs cigar) My sister will be back to wiping disease infected blood off her face at the hospital, and these guys who took my sister and killed my brother will be lying dead on the floor in their own brains and feces when I’m done with them.

Mikhail: Kaito, you have no plan! You have no way of finding her! You have no organized tactics to deal with this situation!

(SUV)

(Hanru, Lee, and Jessica are sitting in Jessica’s car. Jessica is in the driver seat. Lee is in the back. Lee seems depressed.)

Jessica: Why so quiet, Lee? Did grandma cancel all the porn channels you ordered on the cable?

Lee: Call me Leon.

Hanru: You want us to call you by your full name?

Leon: Yeah…

Jessica: Seriously, why are you so down? Puppy dog eyes can’t even match the sad look on your face.

Leon: My grandma and I are moving to New York. I’m sorry I’m telling you this now, but… I just didn’t know how to break the news to you guys.

Hanru: When are you leaving?

Leon: Next week. (Looks down and puts thumb on forehead)

Hanru: I’m just learning all kinds of secrets, aren’t I? I never even knew Mimi’s real name was Jessica.

Jessica: Now come on, Hanru. Was it really necessary to tell him that?

Hanru: No, but I don’t really care whether it is or not.

Leon: Look, this is the last case I can help you with, Hanru. After I’m done with this, I’m moving on up. (Sings) Movin’ on up! To the eastside; movin’ on up! (Stops singing) Finally getting me a piece of that pie… or… Apple in this case, right? Apple pie; there ya go!

Jessica: I know you and I fight like brother and sister, but I want you to know that I love you like a brother.

Leon: I love you too, Jessica.

(Both smile at each other.)

Jessica: The three of us are very close to each other, but we all keep secrets from one another. Except you of course, Leon. You have no problem shouting to the world your deep sexual fetishes and desires. That’s one thing I like about you- your honesty.

Leon: (Looks at Jessica) I’m not the saint you think I am. I have my demons too. Mine are much worse than either of yours, I know it.

Hanru: Somehow I doubt that, Lee. Are you… a killer?

Leon: Look, I don’t want to talk about anything I don’t have to alright. Let’s just focus on Gabriel and clearing his name.

Hanru: If this lady would hurry up, then we can get started.

(The window outside of Vivica’s house by her front door cracks and partially shatters. Hanru, Jessica, and Leon hear the glass break. It catches their attention. The three of them get out of the SUV.)

Leon: Tell me I’m not crazy. You saw that, right? Her glass window just broke.

Jessica: Wait at the house.

Leon: Yeah.

(The three of them rush inside the house. They run into the dining room and find Vivica dead on the floor. Her house phone is hanging off the hook. There’s a loud thump upstairs. The alarm beeps twice.)

Hanru: Someone just opened a window upstairs.

Leon: I’ll get ‘em; don’t worry.

(Leon runs upstairs. Jessica runs toward the back door. She ignores what Hanru is trying to say to her.)

Hanru: Jessica, where are you going? Darn it.

Natasha: The receiver’s off the hook. Maybe she was on the phone with someone.

(Hanru grabs the phone.)

Hanru: Hello…?

Gabriel: What did you do to my mother, you cocksucker?! Let her go! You promised to let her go!

Hanru: Is this Gabriel?

Gabriel: What is this?! Are you playing games with me now?!

Hanru: Gabriel, I’m a friend of your mother. She hired me to help prove your innocence involving the police shooting.

Gabriel: I’m not innocent…

Hanru: Look, I know you’re crying, but tell me what happened?

Gabriel: Xavier was just talking to me over the phone. He held my mother and gun point and he shot her.

Hanru: Wait, who is Xavier? Slow down.

Gabriel: Who are you? How do I know you’re not the one who killed my mother? If you were there at her house, why didn’t you save her? Why is she the one bleeding on the floor and not you?!

Hanru: I need you to calm down, Gabriel. Your mother’s wish was for me to prove your innocence. I’m only here to help. Please tell me who Xavier is.

Gabriel: I guess if I tell you, I have nothing else to lose. I’ve lost my freedom, and my mother. She was all I had left. I never had a father!

Hanru: Who is Xavier?

Gabriel: Xavier is the one who told me to kill that cop. He said if I didn’t kill that cop, he was going after my familia.

Hanru: Tell me where Xavier’s usual hangout spot is. Your mother was a gentle lady; she didn’t deserve this. I’ll make sure he pays for what he did.

(Xavier is being chased down an alleyway behind various houses in the neighborhood by Leon. A pimped-out low rider comes to a hard stop at the end of the alley.)

Gangster: Come on, X; hurry up!

(Jessica comes from the side of a house and tackles Xavier to the ground. Xavier tries to get up and run, but Jessica has him held by his legs. He squirms his way out of the hold and continues to charge toward the car. A gun slams next to Jessica’s face and startles her. Without thinking, she grabs the gun and aims for Xavier’s head. She closes one eye. Xavier jumps into the back seat of the car. The car full of gangsters looks at Jessica and memorizes her face. She pulls the trigger and the bullet shoots through the door and hits Xavier in the leg. He yells out in pain and the car takes off down the street. Leon runs up to Jessica. Jessica grabs his hand and he pulls her up. Jessica is in bit of a shock. Her hand is shaking.)

Leon: You alright? He didn’t hurt you, did he?

Jessica: Is this your gun?

Leon: Yes…

Jessica: Leon, I don’t get it; where did you get a gun from?

(Leon hugs Jessica tightly. He shushes her.)

Leon: You’re alright; that’s what’s important. Now stop asking questions (Takes gun from her hand) The less you know; the safer it is for both of us.

(Leon looks at the top floor of one of the houses. He’s not sure whether or not he sees someone standing in the window staring at him. He stops hugging Jessica.)

Leon: Let’s go. We don’t want anyone seeing us and giving our appearance to the police.

(Hanru hangs up the phone. Natasha appears behind him.)

Natasha: I don’t think giving him your cell number was the smartest idea. With that number, he can connect you to his mother’s death. He’s very emotional and his head’s not screwed on straight. He’s a ticking time bomb ready to go off, and you’ll be the one to blame in the aftermath.

Hanru: Then why didn’t you stop me from doing it?

Natasha: I’m not your adviser; learn to make decisions on your own.

Hanru: Alright, I got it. (Looks around the room)

Natasha: Something catch your mind, Conan?

Hanru: Our fingerprints are all over this place. The tea glasses, the photo album, the telephone…

Natasha: Looks like someone’s messing up.

Hanru: I didn’t plan for this to happen! I mean how could I have known a killer would come in through the backdoor and kill Vivica? What are the odds of that happening?

Natasha: What are the odds of the police finding out Xavier’s the killer? What are the odds of his fingerprints being in this room?

Hanru: Ugh! (Looks down at Vivica’s body) None of this is right; none of this was supposed to happen.

Natasha: You’re of legal age to be locked behind bars now and have some sweaty buff guy call you sweetheart as he drills your behind. Or you can save yourself the butt pounding by getting rid of all evidence that you were here.

(Jessica and Leon walk into the living room.)

Leon: He got away. He had a getaway car in the back of the alley.

Hanru: Are any of you hurt?

Jessica: I think they saw me. They know my face.

Hanru: This is a suburban neighborhood. Neighbors will report that gunshot I heard back there. Before anyone recognizes Jessica’s car parked out front, we need to get out of here. We need to clear this house of everything we touched.

Leon: When I ran upstairs, I didn’t touch anything, so upstairs is clear.

Jessica: I touched the doorknob to the back door.

(Sirens begin to ring.)

Hanru: We don’t have time to clean it off. You too just get the cups of tea Vivica served us. Jessica, you get the photo album.

Jessica: What are you gonna do?

Hanru: Hurry and go, before the cops get here!

(Jessica and Leon grab the stuff and leave the house. Hanru kicks the door closed. He quickly runs to the kitchen.)

Natasha: (Following him) Your friends knew what they were getting themselves into when they agreed to be your partners! It’s their own fault if they get caught!

(Hanru goes under the kitchen sink and searches for something.)

Hanru: If it were my fingerprints, I would do the same.

Natasha: But they’re not yours, and there’s a reason why! Obviously, you have a window of opportunity. You can get out of this situation and stay off the cops’ radar, but only if you leave right now!

(Hanru hears the front door slam open.)

Cop: POLICE!

(Two armed police officers begin slowly walking toward the kitchen. They arm their guns. Three gunshots are heard outside. The two police officers stop and turn around. A third police officer walks into the house.)

Cop2: Multiple gunshots were heard down the next block.

(The police officers rush out the front door. Hanru quickly gets up and reaches for the doorknob to the back door. He grabs it and turns around. He makes eye contact with a paramedic. The paramedic cracks a smile at Hanru.)

Peter: Don’t worry, Hanru… I won’t tell if you won’t.

(Hanru bolts out the back door. He runs down the alley and doesn’t look back.)

Hanru: (Thinking) Who was that man back there?! How did he know my name? This isn’t a good day for me.

(10 minutes have passed. Jessica is leaning against the side of her car as the police set up the crime scene. Detective Ada walks up to Jessica. Jessica looks a bit relieved but stressed at the same time.)

Jessica: Hi, Ada. I haven’t seen you in a while. How’s the job going?

Ada: (Serious attitude) Mamimi-

Jessica: I go by my first name Jessica now.

Ada: Jessica, why are here?

Jessica: (Chuckles) Cops keep questioning me. I was here when the murder happened, so I think I’m a potential witness. I guess that means I’m held here against my will and can’t go anywhere.

Ada: The other officers tell me you’re their only suspect which means, you’re their prime suspect.

Jessica: I’m sorry, Ada. I messed up (Sniffs).

Ada: Please tell me you didn’t commit in a homicide, Jessica; you’re too smart for that. You’re a smart young woman.

Jessica: Please spare me the clichés, Ada. Just help me prove my innocence, or help prove I’m guilty.

Ada: Are you guilty?

Jessica: I’m innocent. I was here to help this woman. Hanru was trying to help this lady-

Ada: (Annoyed) Oh, gosh! (Angry) Dang it, Jessica! (Gets close and talks low) What did I tell you about this, huh? I warned you this would happen. I thought you said Hanru gave up being a detective 3 years ago?

Jessica: He did, but I convinced him to help this lady prove her son’s innocence.

Ada: Hanru doesn’t know I know about his secret; let’s keep it that way. You tell him to forget this whole thing and move on with his life. You and your friends are 18 years old now; you can all go to jail. And it’ll pain me if I have to be the one to put handcuffs on the three of you because you are primary suspects of a homicide.

Jessica: I just want to go, Ada… I can’t… Can I go home now?

Ada: Not until you’ve cleared your name.

Jessica: I’ll clear my name, and replace it with a new. The one who murdered this man is named Xavier.

Ada: I can easily link Xavier as the culprit. You have no idea how lucky you are, Jessica. I don’t ever want to see you near a crime scene again. (Runs toward the house)

(A witness is talking to Ada’s partner Henry by the yellow tape. The witness is a very crabby old lady.)

Witness: I saw it. I saw the whole thing! I was looking outside my back window and I saw everything go down in the alleyway behind my house. That teenage girl by the black SUV was there. I saw her shoot a man when he was running to get to that hooligan-looking car at the end of the alleyway. (Points at Jessica) She’s to blame! She’s the one who did it! You don’t believe me? Check the alley way for blood.

(Jessica charges at the old lady and punches her in the face. The lady falls to the ground and Jessica tries to choke the old lady. Henry desperately tries to pull her off, but Jessica strangles her with all her strength. A few more police officers come to help Henry. They grab Jessica by the waist and throw her off the old lady. They flip her over and put cuffs on her. Ada looks into Jessica’s eyes with deep disappointment.)

(Lawrence’s apartment)

(Hanru goes to Lawrence’s apartment and knocks on the door really hard.)

Natasha: Now that’s how you knock on a door. See, you’re learning.

(Hanru bangs on it again. Israel opens the door very aggressively.)

Israel: What!

Hanru: I need to speak with my brother.

Israel: Your brother and I are about to engage in hot, over-the-top, unbelievable crazy sex. He’s gonna be busy for a while, so goodbye! (Slams the door in Hanru’s face)

(Hanru angrily opens the door. He walks in and slams it. Israel is on the other side of the living room. She turns around at Hanru.)

Israel: What are you some kind of sick-in-the-head weirdo? Do you want to watch your brother and I have sex? Cause if you don’t, I suggest you get out of my apartment right now.

Hanru: Let me talk to my brother-

Israel: Blah, blah, blah; I can’t hear you! I don’t speak creep. Leave now!

Hanru: I am this close… This close…

(Israel runs up to Hanru’s face.)

Israel: What, to killing me? You don’t have the balls you spineless little girl. You don’t know what murder is like! You have no idea what the urges are like. You have no idea how it feels to not have control over the demons which possess the very moral structure of your mind. My father was a killer; my mother was a killer. My father murdered my mother right in front of me because she didn’t live to his expectations and killed for the same reason he did. My father really corrupted my mind. Oh, did I mention he strapped me to a chair and sewed my eyes open so I would watch as he chained my mother up, beat her within an inch of her life, then raped her until she died?! Then he electrocuted my mother’s body until she came back to life. My father brought me to the bed where my mother was and made me look deep into her eyes as he stabbed her in her stomach over and over again! I watched the life fade from her eyes. After he killed my mother, he raped me… out of love. That day, my memory faded… After my father died, I began to remember everything. Even through all of that, I still love my father and miss him. That’s why I’m so angry. So the next time you expose that murderous demon of yours to me, just know that I’ve experienced things no human being can match up to.

Hanru: That’s why you’re a sex maniac.

(Israel walks to the hallway and leans on the wall.)

Israel: My parents are dead. Sex is the only way I can feel close to father. It’s the only way I can feel close to my mother. Even though my mother way raped, she died with a smile on her face as she looked her only daughter in her eyes.

Hanru: You have some powerful demons.

Israel: (Chuckles) Powerful doesn’t even come close to labeling what these things are capable of.

Hanru: My brother’s not really here, is he?

Israel: He’s at work. But I hate to be alone. So I pretend he’s here. What is it you needed?

Hanru: I need your help, Israel… I tried to help someone. I tried to… Do the right thing. But I ended up almost getting caught by the police. Only one paramedic saw my face. He knew my name, he knew who I was. I don’t know anything about him.

Israel: That’s why you never help other people; you bone yourself over.

Hanru: Being kind is what I do, it’s who I am. Nothing’s gonna change that, so please just… give me some good advice… Please.

(Israel and Hanru both site on opposite couches.)

Israel: I’m not much for helping people, because people suck. But I’ll help you out. I’ll give you some helpful advice then you have to go.

Hanru: Fine.

Israel: I can see in you that you have a very powerful light. You want to help others because you’re kind; I understand that. But what you don’t understand is that you need to know when to help people and when to leave things alone. You have that gift; you just need to learn how to control it. You need to learn how to identify the right and wrong decisions during certain situations. I’m leaving you with those words.

Hanru: Thank you…

Israel: I think the front door is calling you; why not use it?

Hanru: Right. Sorry. (Cell phone rings)

Israel: Go ahead and answer; I’ll be in my bedroom having sex with the furniture.

Hanru: (Chuckles) You and Lee belong together.

(Israel grins and continues to walk to the bedroom. Hanru answers his phone.)

Hanru: Hello?

Holly: Hanru… Hi, this is Holly.

Hanru: I recognize your number. What do you want, Holly?

Holly: My sister told me that… You may know who my real parents are. Is that true?

Hanru: Yes, Holly, it’s true. I can help you find them.

Holly: My father’s not exactly in the right state of mind at the moment. I’ll meet you at your house.

Hanru: Fine. I’m on my way there now… Bye.

Holly: Okay, bye.

Hanru: Actually, Holly, I’ll just text you your mother’s known address.

Holly: Okay, that’s fine too.

Hanru: You should go alone to meet them; I’m a little busy at the moment. (Hangs up)

(Hanru sits for a moment and lets his thoughts collect.)

(TD’s strip club)

(Holly walks into the strip club. She sees one person at the bar cleaning, so she goes up to him.)

Holly: (Nervous) Excuse me, hi.

Bartender: (Cracks a smile) Well aren’t you a sweet little blonde. Amateur night starts tonight. You keep all your tips. But if you’re interested in making some extra bucks, you could uh… meet me in one of the private rooms in the back when I’m finished here. Give me about 10 minutes. No! For you, I’ll make it 5. I’ll meet you back there in 5 minutes.

Holly: (Scoffs) You are so revolting.

Bartender: Well, (puts shot glass on the table) I’ve been called worse, honey. What can I help you with? You’re obviously not here for amateur night. (Pours clear drink in shot glass)

Holly: I don’t drink; thank you.

Bartender: I’ve been doing this job longer than you’ve been alive, sunshine; I know when a person is in need of a drink, and you, my lady, need a drink.

Holly: Oh, so I’m “lady” now?

Bartender: (Shrugs) Eh, when I’m not being a revolting jerk, I’m actually a pretty cool guy. I have my moments. Now drink (Pushes drink closer). It’ll take the edge off whatever’s on your mind.

(Holly hesitantly sits down in the stool. She grabs the drink and examines it for a few seconds. She smells it, then raises it up and swirls the drink a little bit.)

Bartender: We ran out of fish, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Holly: (Puts glass down) Sorry. I came by to see if a performer was here? Her real name is Janet.

Bartender: Janet stepped out for a while. She went to go see some guy at a barbershop. She’s not only a stripper; she’s a hooker and a prostitute. Don’t be surprised if she tries to get fresh with you.

Holly: She’s my mother. (Takes the shot)

(Holly’s face grows bitter.)

Bartender: The first shot is always the rough one. You’ll get used to it. (Pours more in the glass) You know, Janet never told me she had a daughter.

Holly: That’s because she doesn’t know she has one. When I was born, I was kidnapped away from her. She only got to hold me once. This will be my first time meeting her. (Takes second shot)

Bartender: Let me get you a bigger shot glass.

(Police station)

(Ada and Jessica sit at Ada’s desk. Ada is infuriated at Jessica. Jessica has cuffs tied behind her back.)

Ada: I’m not understanding the issue here, Jessica. What made you go off and just strangle an innocent handicapped old woman?

Jessica: I don’t know…

Ada: You don’t know?! (Slams hand on table) You better start opening your mouth and saying words that’ll get you out of this cause you have no idea what kind of storm you’ve gotten yourself into.

Jessica: I don’t care, Ada. Right now… My life doesn’t even matter.

Ada: (Slams desk again) Spare me that emotional speech. Your emotions have nothing to do with the way you act; your choices are what you make them. You are responsible for every action you do in your life.

Jessica: I’m sorry, it’s just my… My head isn’t really together right now. My emotions are blocking my judgment. It’s blocking my decision making abilities.

Ada: (Rubs face with both hands) Jessica… (Puts hands on table.) I want to help you, I really do… But you need to really get things together. Now I talked to all of the local residence and they praised you for finally choking that “nosy old hang.” Unfortunately, she wants to press charges against you. At least she wanted to.

Jessica: Why didn’t she?

Ada: My partner called and told me that she walked into her kitchen to get some water shortly after the altercation between the two of you, and slipped on a piece of ice. She hit her head and died instantly.

Jessica: I-I don’t know what to say…

Ada: How about thanking God for getting you out of this mess. But pray for that old woman’s soul.

Jessica: Thanks for being such a good friend, Ada.

Ada: I just hate to see such good youth go down the toilet.

Jessica: Is that uh… (Clears throat) wedding ring on your finger?

Ada: (Stares at ring) Yeah… Leo and I are getting married.

Jessica: Congratulations.

Ada: Thank you. Listen, I’m breaking the rules by not questioning you in the interrogation room. I’m going to be breaking even more by trying to clear your name. A million witnesses did see you, but they all talked to me and they all promised to keep their mouths’ shut about the whole thing. The old lady is no longer a problem, and the police in this department are happy about my engagement. The press knows nothing about this situation, so I can still clear you. Erika works in forensics, so she can help clear your name as well. But you have to promise to not go anywhere near that neighborhood. Do you understand?

Jessica: I promise I won’t go near it.

Ada: This is the only time I’m helping you. Take control of your life. Be a leader; not a follower.

Jessica: Yes, ma’am.

Ada: Same goes for Hanru and Lee. Erika can help clear their fingerprints.

Jessica: What kind of cop are you? Why are you going through all this trouble?

Ada: For completely selfish reasons.

(Hanru’s home)

(Hanru walks into his room. He sees Leon sitting in his computer chair. He’s holding a silver pistol in his hand examining it. He has a sad look on his face.)

Leon: This day didn’t go as planned. I thought it would be like old times- The three of us investigating and catching a murderer. Man how disappointing this day was.

(Hanru closes his bedroom door and sits on his bed.)

Leon: (Sniffs) Jessica and I didn’t have time to take off in her vehicle. The sirens sounded too close to where we were at. So I just took as much stuff as I could and I ran. I took a few shots when I was down the street to throw the cops off to buy you more time to do whatever it was you were doing.

Hanru: I was trying to clear Jessica’s fingerprints.

Leon: That’s what I figured.

Hanru: Why exactly are you here, Lee?

Leon: Because I wanted to say one last goodbye. I did something bad, brother. I was scared and I made an emotional decision. It ended badly. My grandmother helped me cover it up, but then… Things got worse. It happened over and over again. Everyone around you is a killer in their own way, Hanru. Why do you think that is?

Hanru: Insanity is like a plague. It spreads like a disease and affects everybody in similar ways.

Leon: Just promise me you’ll never murder anyone in any way.

(Leon and Hanru look each other in the eyes. The room grows with silent tension for 10 seconds.)

Leon: Don’t reply to that question. Whatever answer you give me… will only end with a broken promise.

Hanru: I’m sorry, Lee.

Leon: My grandmother and I are leaving state. We’re hoping to have new lives; to start over.

(Hanru and Leon stand and give each other a very deep brotherly hug.)

(Police station)

(Tension begins to rise between Jennifer Lin and Ada. The two of them are in Jennifer’s office.)

Ada: Come on, she’s just a young teenage girl; you know what those years are like. Please just let her off just this one time, Lieutenant.

Jennifer: You know how much I hate repeating myself! Now my first answer was no; my final answer is still no. Got it? Good! Now please leave my office unless you have something that’s worth my time. Otherwise, I’ve got important work to do.

Ada: So you’re going to charge this teenage girl with attempted murder? I knew you were always cruel, but this is-

Jennifer: Please don’t finish that sentence, detective. You either follow my orders or you can spend the next 2 weeks playing house with your new boy toy. We all know that’s what he is.

Ada: W-What; a boy toy?

Jennifer: You think anyone in this department is actually happy about your engagement? They’re just pretending, cause they know you can’t commit to just one man and they don’t want to hurt your little feelings.

Ada: My personal life has nothing to do with the point of this discussion.

Jennifer: The point of this discussion is you do as I say, and that little soon-to-be killer is going to jail.

(Someone knocks on the door.)

Jennifer: Who is it?!

(Erika from forensics walks in with her white lab coat and a brown file in her hand. She closes the door and stands beside Ada.)

Erika: I have the results of the DNA tests you asked me to run, Lieutenant. (Gives Jennifer the file)

Jennifer: Thank you, Erika; I’ll be sure to look at these as soon as I get the chance.

Erika: (Hesitant) Lieutenant, I had a talk with that teenage girl outside.

Jennifer: (Sighs) What? What is so special about this stupid teenage girl?! I hear more about this girl then I do about Alice in Wonderland from my 4 year old niece!

Erika: She said that someone told her to choke that old lady.

(Ada silently sighs and face-palms.)

Jennifer: What is she hearing voices too? Are we dealing with a nut job?

Erika: No, ma’am. There’s a thug named Xavier. You may know him as Javier Acosta. Xavier is a street alias name.

Jennifer: Get to the point.

Erika: Xavier once use to run with his gang and do drive-bys too many houses. He would also do drug deals and sometimes his clients would end up murdered in an alleyway. Well it seems Xavier has changed his course of killing. He tells other people to kill for him. If they don’t do it, then he kills their family then kills them. That teenage girl outside was told that if she didn’t kill that old lady, Xavier was going to kill her.

Jennifer: So this girl was forced to murder a random person in order to save her own life?

Erika: Basically, yeah.

Jennifer: Bring me proof. Give me a confession from Javier Acosta, and then I’ll believe you.

(Ada and Jessica talk at Ada’s desk. Jessica is very upset and stressed.)

Ada: I did what I could, but I’m sorry; I can’t help you. It looks to me like you’re going to spend the next couple years behind bars.

Jessica: Can I have a phone call? I want to call Hanru and let him know about my situation.

(LJ’s Barber Shop, late at night)

(Holly walks into LJ’s barbershop. She sees Janet sitting in one of the empty shop chairs. Holly nervously walks up to Janet with a nervous look on her face.)

Janet: Why are you staring at me like that? Do you want something from me? Or do you want some… from me?

(Holly remains silent and looks to the ground.)

Janet: You know you look really sexy; almost as sexy as me when I was in my teens.

Holly: When you were in your teens… you had a lost child…

Janet: How could you possible know that?

Holly: Meukie! I remember you now. We meet three years ago. It was when Hanru’s uncle shot you cause he mistook you for a serial killer in one of his investigations. You were on the run and I was there to help you.

Janet: (Smiles) Oh yeah. We stole that car and we talked about our pasts and played solitaire. Your mother died of cancer, right?

Holly: My mother’s a prostitute. By day her name is Janet; by night… Meukie… You are my real mother.

Janet: (Angry) Who the heck do you think you are coming in here and spiting that garbage at me? My daughter is dead! Do you hear me?!

Holly: Yesterday was my 19th birthday… Wait… why are you here at a barber shop?

Janet: It’s really none of your business, Barbie. But if you must know, I’m here with LJ. This is his barbershop. The two of us are just talking… about what our lives would be like if we actually raised our daughter; which you claim to be.

Holly: LJ held me hostage at gunpoint. He told me the story about how the two of you had a lost child before. He’s my father.

Janet: Until I see a DNA test, you and I have nothing else to talk about. I suggest you leave, Barbie.

Holly: So that’s it then? You don’t want to talk to your own daughter? You don’t want me in your life?

(Janet slaps Holly across the face.)

Janet: You’re taking this sick game too far. Get out of here, before I grab you by that beautiful blonde hair of yours and throw you out.

Holly: I’ve always been a scared, timid, and sensitive girl. I always let people run over me and have their way with me. I let them treat me however they wanted to.

Janet: I’ll drink to that. I did the exact same thing. There just might be some hope that you really are my daughter.

Holly: I’m not some scared little girl anymore. I came here for a reason. I came here to find my mother and tell her the truth. I’m still alive, mom!

(Janet punches Holly in the side of her face. She drops to the floor. She wipes her face and blood covers her hand. Holly stands up and tackles Janet off the chair. The two of them start rolling on the floor punching each other. Janet stands up and grabs Holly by her hair. She throws Holly as hard as she can and her body slides across the room. LJ walks in from the back. Janet grabs a pair of scissors from the counter and charges at Holly. LJ runs at Janet and grabs her hand. She uses his other arm to hold her back. LJ then struggles to push Janet out of the front door. He pushes her out then takes away the scissors from her.)

LJ: Don’t move from this spot!

(LJ locks the door and walks up to Holly. He helps her back up to her feet. He sits her down on one of the chairs.)

LJ: Hey, I’m sorry about that; you alright?

(Holly’s eyes begin to drown with tears.)

Holly: She was my mother… My own mother was going to kill me (Begins to cry).

LJ: How is Janet your mother?

Holly: (Continues to cry) My father to me about the time he kidnapped me from a prostitute while she was giving birth 19 years ago. He said my real father was a no good gangster who lived his life as a street hustler. That same story that you and Janet said to me about the child you lost, my dad told me. He told me I was that little girl. I’m your little girl.

(LJ walks a few feet away and leans the front of his palm against a wall. He takes a deep breath and looks down at the floor.)

Holly: Please say something.

LJ: What… What do you want me to say, I love you, I miss you, I never thought I’d see you again?

Holly: My other dad was always there for me when I needed him. He was always there to hold me whenever I felt cold and needed to feel safe. (Crying) I don’t know what to do, and I don’t have a father’s arms to hold me.

LJ: (Makes eye-contact with Holly for a few seconds) I’m really sorry… I can’t just be a father to you like that. You have no idea how this makes me feel. I’ve never felt so tangled with emotions before in my life.

(Janet walks into the room from the back way. She looks at Holly.)

Janet: So you really are my daughter…?

Holly: I am. Do you still want to kill me?

Janet: I’m sorry; I just let my emotions get the best of me. I had no control over myself.

Holly: Some things are out of our control.

LJ: Holly, you need to leave. Now is really not a good time for you to be here.

Holly: I thought you would be happy that I came to you? I thought you loved me?

LJ: (Puts hands on her shoulders) I am involved with the mafia. I work for a very powerful group of men; dangerous men who will do bad things to you just because you have a pretty face. I don’t want you being around when these men come over cause I don’t want them hurting you.

Janet: I’ll walk you home, Holly.

Holly: No, it’s fine. I’ll just call my sister to come pick me up. Her work isn’t too far from here.

LJ: Fine.

(Xavier’s home)

(Xavier is in a muscle shirt and boxers. He jumps out of bed and walks to his kitchen. He turns on the lights and sees a tape tied to the handle of the refrigerator. It says “PLAY YOUR OWN GAME.” Xavier plays the tape in his VCR. His mother is tied up and is bleeding from her forehead. She’s crying and her mouth has a sock in it. Xavier has a scared look on his face.)

Xavier: Mommy?

(A deep feminine voice begins to talk on the TV.)

Voice: Hello, Javier. You’ve played games with others, but now it’s time to play your own game. You’ve made people kill the innocent, only to satisfy your sick and twisted fetishes. Now here’s what I want. I want you to confess everything you did. Confess forcing people to commit murder, then having them arrested. Confess to your blackmail. Confess everything. If you don’t, your mother’s throat will be spewing blood like a waterfall. There’s something else as well. There’s a girl I need you to clear. Confess to the police that she was your test subject as well. You will be sent to jail, but I promise you your mother will stay alive.

(Xavier quickly grabs his house phone to call the police.)

(Lawrence’s apartment)

(Lawrence walks into his apartment to see Israel sitting alone on the couch drinking apple juice and milk. The two drinks are in two separate glasses. Israel has her legs crossed. Her mood seems a bit calm…)

Lawrence: What’s the matter, babe? (Drops bag on floor)

Israel: I love you, Lawrence. You know that, don’t you? (Cracks a smile)

Lawrence: Do you know I love you too?

(Lawrence walks up to Israel and sits next to her on the couch. He pulls a black box out of his pocket and shows Israel a very expensive ring with real diamonds in it.)

Lawrence: I know this isn’t the most romantic place, but I just can’t live with the thought of you not being my eternal mate. Be my bride. Walk with me down the isle of-

Israel: (Cuts of Lawrence) Stop it.

(Israel wraps her hand around Lawrence’s head and presses her forehead against his. She closes her eyes.)

Israel: Lawrence, I need to break up with you.

Lawrence: No, no, baby, please don’t say that.

(Lawrence moves Israel’s hand and begins passionately kissing her. He uncrosses her legs and lies on top of her on the couch. He continues to kiss her. Israel turns away after a few seconds. The two of them then look in each other’s eyes.)

Israel: Lawrence… This darkness inside of me is only growing stronger. It’s just a matter of time before it targets you and I end up killing the one man I ever truly loved. I’m sorry, but it scares me. I have no control over it and I have to do what it tells me. I am a follower.

Lawrence: I believe you can fight it. I believe you are stronger than you think you are.

Israel: I love you, Lawrence. I’m leaving all my stuff here. Minglei and Lee are going underground and off the grid; I’m joining them.

Lawrence: I care about your happiness, Israel, I really do. But I can’t possibley find happiness without you.

Israel: I’m sorry, Lawrence. I’m so scared. And there’s nothing you can do about it to make things right. This is the end.

Hanru Narrating: We all want some control over our lives, but we are limited. So many things are out of our control. Emotions are one thing that separates our true morals. It separates our true judgment. Everyone gets emotional and lose themselves. Just keep in mind that when you’re emotional, you can do crazy things to get yourself in deep trouble. When you’re emotional, remember that your thoughts may not always be right and present you with the right decisions. My emotions; my feelings for my friends almost got me caught by the police. Lee’s emotions drove him to almost murder an innocent. Jessica’s emotions made her choke an innocent lady, Holly’s feelings made her present hard news to two grieving parents. The two parents let their emotions take over and could not think strait on the situation with Holly. Ada’s emotions caused her to go against her boss and almost get suspended from her job. It also made her break the rules of her job. Bruce let his emotions for his daughter take over. Israel let the emotions of fear take hold of her and cause her to forever lose that one she truly loved. Just remember to be careful and remember who you are. Take control of your life and don’t let your emotions take over.

(Bruce is sitting in a bar drinking alone. He finishes his shot and places the glass on the counter. A random rugged-looking man around Bruce’s age sits next to him. The two don’t make eye-contact.)

Man: We’ve been made. Time to get out. You’re dead now.

(Hanru and Leon are sitting on separate sides of Hanru’s room. The doorbell rings. Hanru and Leon look at each other for a few seconds in silence. Hanru gets up and walks downstairs. He sees that his front door is cracked open. Someone comes out from the shadows behind Hanru and put brown sack over his head. Before Hanru can struggle, he instantly passes out. The man who’s done this appears to be LJ.)

TO BE CONTINUED…

DELETED AND EXTENDED PART: Kaito and Claudia

(Kaito Zonoda, Mikhail, Koroshi the bodyguard, and LJ are all sitting on the balcony of a huge mansion. They enjoy the site of the beautiful ocean and the beach. They all sit at a big round table eating various foods, and playing cards. Kaito smokes on a cigar and is acting very casual and friendly. A topless brunette in a maid costume and high heels walks up to the table with a tray in her hand.

Claudia: Anything else I can do for you, or to you, Mr. Zonoda?

Kaito: You’re sweet, you know that, Claudia? You’re such a sweet heart. I got something for you.

(Kaito reaches into a bag under the table and pulls out huge stacks of money. Claudia cracks a smile.)

Kaito: How’s about you give daddy a little treat first, sugar?

(Claudia puts her hands behind her head and slightly turns to the side to tease Kaito a bit. She slowly begins to sway back and forth and gives Kaito a wink.)

Kaito: That’s beautiful. Claudia, you are surely blessed with a figure of perfection. I admire that about you.

Claudia: (Giggles) Thank you, sir.

Kaito: Maybe I can pay you for some overtime at my place. Say around 10:00.

Claudia: (Bends down and pokes her butt out at Kaito) Mmm. For you, baby, I’ll work the graveyard shift all night long…

(Kaito gives Claudia a gentle little smack on the behind.)

Kaito: See you tonight.

Claudia: (Stands up) See you tonight. (Walks away)

Kaito: (Watches her go) I might see you in 5 minutes.

(Mikhail clears his throat. LJ seems a bit nervous. Kaito pays attention to the table.)

Kaito: That’s a pretty hot piece, no?

Mikhail: Yes, Kaito; she’s very beautiful.

Kaito: (Burns his fingers on his food) I was talking about these chicken stripes.

Mikhail: Kaito, we need to focus on the situation at hand.

Kaito: (Puffs his cigar) Oh right, the ball is in my court right? My hand isn’t very good, but I’m confident I’ll obtain victory in this game.

Mikhail: The ball is in your court, Kaito, but you’re not playing the right game. Those thugs still have your sister, and you still have their money.

Kaito: Let’s get one thing straight, Mikhail. I’m in control of this situation. I choose the outcome of things. (Puffs cigar) My sister will be back to wiping disease infected blood off her face at the hospital, and these guys who took my sister and killed my brother will be lying dead on the floor in their own brains and feces when I’m done with them.

Mikhail: Kaito, you have no plan! You have no way of finding her! You have no organized tactics to deal with this situation!

(LJ stands up out of his chair and away from the table quickly. Kaito takes one last puff of his cigar then gently places it on the ashtray on the table. He angrily grips the bottom of the table and flips it over sideways. Everything on the table is tossed all over the ground. Kaito gets infuriated. He stands with a black pistol in his hand.)

Kaito: The next time you disobey me, you better be wearing a vest. Don’t you ever raise your voice at me again, understand?

Mikhail: Yes, Kaito.

(Kaito shoots and shatters the pot displayed behind Mikhail. Mikhail gets startled.)

Kaito: You stop calling me Kaito! You need to earn the privilege to call me that name. Only my friends call me Kaito, and you’re not my favorite person in the world right now.

(Mikhail remains silent.)

Kaito: Is that clear!

Mikhail: Yes, yes, sir. Yes Mr. Zonoda.

Kaito: You better put your brain to good use instead of pestering me, because if any harms comes my sister’s way, I’ll kill you. It won’t matter that our friendship has been alive since high school; you’ll be dead.

Mikhail: Yes, sir. I understand.

Kaito: Now get out of my sight (Turns away).