Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Two Chapter Sixteen: Surrendering our Own Self Control (Summer 2012)

(Hanru and LJ throw Kayla’s unconscious body into LJ’s trunk. LJ slams it closed.)

Hanru: How’d you know she’d be here?

LJ: I followed her here. You’re welcome.

(LJ walks to the driver side door and gets in.)

Hanru: Is she dead?

LJ: She was one of my old friends. I’m not just gonna kill her off like that. You need to be more careful about who you piss off.

Hanru: Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

LJ: By the way, I setup a play date for you and Kaito tonight. I suggest you be there. Kaito will explain the details.

Hanru: I’m not interested in speaking with Kaito.

LJ: Too bad; he’s interested in you. I’ve worked with Kaito for many years now, and I suggest you play by his rules.

Hanru: I can tell Kaito’s a major control freak. Once I’m on his radar, he won’t let me go- unless it’s with a bullet. All I wanna do is stay completely off his radar. I don’t wanna be anywhere near it.

LJ: We can go over this 12, 13, even 20 times, but the end result is always the same: Kaito will call you; you will answer. Kaito will offer you a job; you will accept. There’s no way around it.

Hanru: I suppose there isn’t.

LJ: Friend-to-friend: I understand you’re trying to cross over into manhood and take some control in your life, but no one ever has complete control. Everyone works for someone. Even in life, we are God’s children and he controls our fate. No matter how hard you try, you will always be under someone who has control over you. Never forget that.

(LJ closes the car door and drives off after a few seconds. Hanru stands in the same spot and thinks.)

Hanru: (Thinking) Perhaps LJ has a point. I’m so obsessed with taking control of my life I’ve neglected to realize that control is something none of us truly have. Perhaps I shouldn’t dwell on control and just take it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

(Chris’ home)

(Jessica and Chris are together on the couch in the living room. The two of them are watching a comedy movie. They laugh and smile, but Jessica is smiling about something other than the actually movie itself. Chris gently strokes Jessica’s hair with his fingers as she rests her head on his lap.)

Jessica: I never thought I’d have this much fun watching a movie with someone. I’m really enjoying this time with you.

Chris: (Sexy voice) I know a way we can enjoy this time even more.

Jessica: Oh really?

(Jessica turns her head over to make eye-contact with Chris and smile at him. Chris smiles back and the two of them begin to slowly passionately kiss. The kiss goes on for 8 seconds, but it feels like half an hour. The sound of the doorbell ringing interrupts their moment. They stop kissing and Chris sighs.)

Jessica: (Giggles) I’ll go get it, baby.

(Jessica quickly answers the door to another teenage girl about her age. The teenage girl has long wavy blonde hair, silky smooth white skin, and beautiful blue eyes. She’s wearing brown wedge sandals, blue daisy duke shorts, and a white T-shirt that’s tied in the middle of her chest. Her belly button ring is showing and it’s obvious she’s not wearing a bra. But despite her appearance, the most distracting thing is subliminal way she sucks on her lollipop, and her friendly, yet nasty attitude.)

Jessica: Um, I think you have the wrong house.

Debbie: Is Chris here? Tell him Debbie’s at the door.

Jessica: (Slightly closes the door) Well maybe Chris isn’t here right now. So you should just stroll yourself down the street and find some other guy.

Chris: Jessica, who is it?!

(Jessica sighs.)

Debbie: (Smiles with lollipop between her teeth) I thought he wasn’t here; looks like someone’s a liar.

Jessica: Shut up.

Debbie: Ooh. What a feisty little kitten you are.

(Chris opens the door.)

Chris: Who is it?

(Chris gets a bit nervous and his mood completely changes. He tries to keep himself cool and relaxed, but feels paranoid at the same time.)

Chris: Hey, Debbie.

Debbie: (Walks inside the house and turns around to face Chris.) This must be your new play thing. I’ll admit she’s cute, (Looks at Jessica) but she won’t last.

Chris: Look, Debbie, my brother’s not here. He’s off on vacation for a few weeks.

Debbie: (Walks over toward the kitchen) And he left the house to you while he’s away? How generous of him.

(Debbie begins going through the kitchen looking for a snack. Jessica closes the door and tries to figure out what’s going on. Chris walks to the counter of the kitchen and talks to Debbie.)

Chris: He did leave me the house, so it’s my responsibility to make sure people like you don’t come in and trash the place.

Jessica: If you didn’t want trash in the place, you shouldn’t have let her in.

Debbie: My father may have raised me in a trailer, but I still came out a good girl. Well… most of the time I’m good (Giggles). And I came out a lot prettier than you. I mean look at how old and disgusting your clothes look. Your closet must be the “Insidious” of wardrobe. “Inhidious” seems like a fitting nickname, don’t you think? (Continues to search the cabinets)

Chris: Alright you too, stop arguing.

Jessica: (Angry) Do you mind telling me who she is?

Chris: She’s uh-

Debbie: I’m one of his older brother’s many, many toys. My apartment burned down and I lost everything. Boohoo for me. (Sighs) Anyway, I was told that I could come here if anything serious ever happened to me. I’ve been calling his brother’s phone, but I haven’t been able to reach him. Oh well, he’s probably off with some other girl. Maybe when he gets back he’ll learn some new tricks (Chuckles).

Jessica: So wait, you’re going to be staying here with us?!

Debbie: Yep. It’s gonna be fun. Well for me it will be anyway. (Chuckles) Ooh, some crackers.

Jessica: Chris, this was supposed to be OUR time together! Make her something. I don’t care; just get her out of here!

Chris: (Normal attitude) I’m sorry, Jess, but I can’t just leave her out in the street. Her apartment burned down. What kind of person would I be if I just kicked her out?

Jessica: (Sighs and looks away for a few seconds) A-alright. I understand the situation. But she is not wearing any of my clothes; is that understood?!

Chris: I’m staying out of that. I’ll be there with an arm to break you two up when you’re fighting, but other than that, the relationship between the two of you will remain however you deal with each other.

Debbie: You’re too ugly to be my size anyway.

(Jessica scoffs and storms away into the next room. She slams the door softly. Chris’ attitude is back to the laid-back cool guy mood. Debbie continues to eat crackers.)

Chris: Of all the times you could’ve come over, why today?

Debbie: Look, my apartment burned down; I wasn’t lying about that.

Chris: I wouldn’t be surprised if you were lying, since there was another fire last week.

Debbie: Coincidences happen, Chris. That’s all it was: coincidence. (Eats a cracker) So is she a keeper, do you think?

Chris: Jessica is a virgin; of course she’s not a keeper. Do you really think any girl can tie me down?

Debbie: (Smiles) You’re a bad boy, Chris. Just be careful how you break it off with her after you’re finished. Last time we nearly had to murder that last girl to get her off your back.

Chris: It’s a good thing she murdered herself right?

Debbie: Just be careful, Chris. (Places her hand on top of his on the counter) I’d really hate to see you get hurt.

Chris: After I take her virginity, I’ll make sure no harm will come to me alright? This is my thing, this is what I do.

Debbie: I’m so glad I didn’t lose my virginity to you; you would have probably abandoned me too.

Chris: (Slides his hand away) Yeah I would’ve.

(Crimescene)

(Leo and Justin are standing in the middle of the park over a dead body. The body is a man in his late 20s in a jogging outfit. His wife is sitting on a nearby bench crying.)

Leo: You think this is some kind of coincidence?

Justin: Coincidences are a series of events which happen not very often. (Looks at Leo) Lately we’ve been finding poisoned victims very often.

Leo: Have you been hitting the juice again?

Justin: Nah, man. My soul is just liberated. I’ve given up Women, smoking, and music. I figure it’s time I moved on in my life you know.

Leo: Just don’t move on to men, I’ll tell you that much.

Justin: Don’t be homophobic, Leo. Just embrace what life has to offer you and be optimistic about it.

Leo: Alright so what do we know about the vic.

Wife: That “vic” is my husband! You show him some respect and call him by his name!

(A cop tries to hold her by her shoulders and calm her down.)

Officer: Ma’am please, just let the officers do their job.

(The cop calmly escorts the woman back to the bench.)

Leo: She’s right up your alley, Justin. You’re the one with the spiritual voodoo witness whisperer powers.

Justin: Show some sympathy. (Puts white gloves on)

(Justin begins to go through the pockets of the victim.)

Wife: (Crying) How can you just let them defile my husband’s body like that?

Officer: Ma’am we officers deal with this kind of stuff on a daily bases. If you want, I can escort you away from your husband’s body?

Wife: No, no, I need to be here… with him. (Sniffs)

Justin: I can hear her crying all the way over here, Leo. Instead of breathing down my neck like a serial killer, why not go talk to the witness?

Leo: I like your new attitude, Hargrove. Keep this up, and we might actually become friends. (Walks away)

(Leo walks up to the sobbing wife.)

Leo: I’ll take it from here.

Officer: Alright, sir. (Walks away)

Leo: Look, I know it’s hard looking over your lover’s dead body like this. Maybe we should take a walk around the park and you can tell me a little bit about him?

Wife: Yeah… yeah, okay.

(Justin searches through the victim’s wallet. The officer stands behind him watching him do his job.)

Justin: He took his health very seriously. He keeps all of his gym membership cards up to date, he has a miniature ingredient chart, and he even has an eating schedule.

Officer: He was poisoned by a drink, right?

Justin: That is correct. His bottle of water had toxins in it according to his wife’s statement. She said the two of them were out jogging and he took a sip of his water before he dropped. Most of the water spilled out into the grass, but forensics was still able to get a sample for testing. A small hole was in the near bottom of the bottle, so it’s possible a syringe was used to inject the toxin in the bottle. Most likely the one responsible is somewhere close by. Killers always return to the scene of the crime.

(The officer looks around the park for anyone suspicious. Leo and the wife are standing beside a very large tree.)

Leo: So you and you’re husband have known each other awhile before getting married.

Wife: Yes. That is correct.

Leo: So during the many years you’ve known your husband, can you think of anyone who might want to hurt him or see him dead?

Wife: I’m not gonna lie to you, detective, he did have enemies. But I can’t imagine any of them would want to see him dead.

Leo: I’ve been a cop a long time. You’d be surprised what ulterior motives people find to commit murder.

Wife: We were supposed to live a lifetime together. We never even had kids. I’ve always wanted them, but he never did.

Leo: Ma’am during the time you and your husband spent in this park, did either of you happen to see anyone familiar to you, or anyone you think you might have seen before in public, or anything along those lines?

Wife: No, I can’t say I have.

(The branches above start cracking. Leo and the wife look up and a bunch of branches fall down and hit the grass. The wife screams at the top of her lungs then hides herself in Leo’s chest.

(Lawrence’s bedroom)

(Lawrence and Kristen are in Lawrence’s bed half naked. Kristin is on top of Lawrence. The two of them were about to have sex until Hanru and Israel busts in. The two of them seem very angry, but Israel seems to still be in her dark place.)

Lawrence: Whoa, what’s going on here?

Israel: Shut up, Lawrence!

Lawrence: Izzy?!

Kristen: The two of us were in the middle of something here; can you come back another time?

Hanru: No we can’t.

(Israel charges at Kristen and tackles her to the floor. Israel sits on top of Kristen with a knife pressed against her thigh.)

Israel: If I hear one word come out of your mouth, I’m gonna make sprinklers out of your blood and soak this whole room. Look in my eyes and know I’m not lying.

Lawrence: Israel! Get off of her right now! You’re the one who broke things off with me, so don’t get homicidal just because I found someone else and I’m trying to move on!

Hanru: Lawrence.

Lawrence: Shut up, Hanru. This isn’t your business.

Israel: But it is my business, right? This girl was trying to poison you. She has sex with guys who have had their hearts broken then she shoots ‘em up with untraceable poison!

Lawrence: What proof do you have of that?

Hanru: We went to visit the Godmother.

Lawrence: (Surprised) The- What?! (To Israel) You took my brother to see that psychotic old lady?! She could’ve killed him!

Israel: He’s alive and breathing now isn’t he?

Kristen: You better kill me right now, cause if don’t, I’m coming back for every one of you!

Hanru: Don’t kill her, Israel! It’s bad enough you already publically murdered three people today in the last 2 hours. I just can’t take anymore death right now.

Lawrence: Israel, what happened to you?

Israel: I wish I could tell you. I really, really wish I could. But I’m broken, and there’s no hope for me. All I can do now is kill like my father did.

Lawrence: Your father may have been a killer, but you know that in the end, he was trying his best to stop! He was a cop and he was a father! He wanted what was best for the safety of the innocent and you! He murdered to keep you safe. He tried to stop killing so you wouldn’t fall down the same darkness he did.

Israel: He murdered my mother right in front of me!!! He made me… He made me do things against my will. He made me… There’s just so much. He tried to make me just like him. So don’t you tell me about how he tried to prevent me from being a killer!

Lawrence: What if I told you he was still alive?

Israel: He was shot in his hand, stomach, and neck. Then he blew himself up in a cabin in the middle of the woods.

Lawrence: Why do you think his body was never found?

(Israel uses all of her strength to slash through Kristen’s throat. Kristen begins choking and trying to hold her throat, but Israel holds her hands down. Kristen begins to cry in agony as she suffers but Israel continues to stare her in the eyes with hatred and show no remorse. Israel begins moaning and grinding her teeth together. After about 12 seconds, one last tear falls from Kristen’s eyes and darkness consumes her eyes. Blood is everywhere. Israel stands up with blood all over her face. She turns to look at Lawrence.)

Israel: My father is gone, Lawrence. He’s not coming back. And if he was still alive, I don’t wanna talk to him. (Leaves the room)

(The room is filled with a quiet tension. Lawrence sits on the bed and Hanru sits next to him on the right side.)

Hanru: I know you’re not alright. So I’m not even gonna ask you. But I’m here if you need anything.

Lawrence: I’m only interested in talking to Allen, and moving out of this apartment.

Hanru: Is it true what you said? Is Oliver, her father, still alive?

Lawrence: Allen told me that Israel was a pure soul, and that one day she would turn into a serial killer because of her father. He said that when the time came when she completely lost control of herself, I should call him. I think you should go, little brother. You should go check on Mimi.

Hanru: Her name’s Jessica now.

Lawrence: Yeah, yeah, I remember.

(LJ is parked in an alleyway with Kayla in the back seat. Her right arm has a patch over it.)

LJ: You need to promise me that you won’t go anywhere near Hanru again.

Kayla: Fine, whatever.

LJ: How do I know I can trust you?

Kayla: I’m just so angry because of what he did. I have to look over my shoulders every day when I’m going to the grocery store. I’m afraid that police will somehow find me and just take me to prison. And I can’t go to prison without knowing where my Allen is?!

LJ: Allen is alive. He’s just hidden right now.

Kayla: For three years?! He’s been hidden for three years; and he didn’t contact me?!

LJ: It’s not like he knew where to find you, Kayla. You lost contact with the remaining members of the group!

Kayla: What do you expect? I can’t go to prison.

LJ: Jail is not so bad for women.

Kayla: But I’m a sexy woman. It’s different for girls like me.

LJ: I hacked into the Law enforcement database and I’ll have you know there are no warrants out for you. The police don’t even know who you are. Stop being so paranoid and looking over your shoulder because no one is looking for you!

Kayla: When you talk to Allen again, tell him I miss him. Him and I need to get married.

LJ: … I’ll let him know.

Kayla: Thank you.

LJ: Just promise me you stay away from the boy.

Kayla: Hanru is off limits; I understand.

(Chris’ Home)

(Chris opens his front door to see Hanru about to ring the doorbell.)

Chris: What’s up?

Hanru: Hey, Chris, I was just wondering if Jessica was here?

Chris: Yeah, uh, come in; I’ll go get her.

Hanru: Thanks.

(Hanru walks inside and sees Debbie sitting on the couch upside down with her legs spread open. Chris closes the door and walks to the back room. Hanru stands right beside Debbie. She notices him and sits right-side up. A smile grows on her face.)

Debbie: Hi, I’m Debbie.

Hanru: My name’s Hanru.

Debbie: Hanru huh? That’s an interesting name.

Hanru: My parents gave it to me. It means “love”.

Debbie: Wow, so technically your name is Love.

Hanru: It is. From the little bit of research I’ve done on names, Debbie means Honeybee.

Debbie: (Giggles then whispers in a sexy voice) Well I do have a sweet taste and I have a bit of a sting in bed. (Puts her index finger in her mouth and glares at Hanru.)

Hanru: If you’re trying to turn me on, that’s not the way to do it. I’m not much of a fan for sexuality.

Debbie: Awe, you’re trying to be brave and hold back your lust for me. No guy has ever resisted me. I don’t even think it’s possible.

Hanru: It’s possible for me. I’ve even resisted a prostitute when she tried hitting on me.

Debbie: Just like a typical guy: you’re a liar too. But I don’t mind. (Bites lip) I still bet you have a cute head, and I don’t mean the one on your shoulders… (Smiles)

Hanru: (Annoyed) We’re done here.

(Hanru walks away toward the back room. Debbie is left with disappointment and confusion. Hanru walks into the hallway and sees Chris standing outside the bathroom door.)

Hanru: (Stops beside Chris) Is she in there?

Chris: We’re having some relationship issues. She’s jealous because there’s another girl in the house.

Hanru: I know Jessica. She’s not one to get Jealous very easy.

Chris: You just go back in the living room and talk to Debbie for a while. I’ll get her out soon.

Hanru: Alright.

(Hanru walks back into the living room and sits on the far end side of the couch away from Debbie. The two of them stay silent for a few seconds. Debbie swings the remote control back and forth a few times. She tosses it in the middle of the floor.)

Debbie: Oops, silly me.

(Before Debbie can get up, Hanru quickly walks over and grabs the remote. He hands it to Debbie. Debbie sits back for a few seconds and looks at the remote.)

Debbie: Thanks… (Grabs the remote)

Hanru: You’re welcome.

(Hanru sits back down. Debbie sighs and she seems a bit sad about something. She turns off the T.V. Hanru looks over to her.)

Debbie: Are you gay?

Hanru: No, I’m lesbian. Are you gay?

Debbie: Do you have a girlfriend or something?

Hanru: No I don’t. I’m not too interested in too many girls.

Debbie: I think you’re gay and just don’t know it.

Hanru: (Chuckles) Doubt it.

Debbie: How is it you’re not attracted to me at all? I mean do I smell funny?

Hanru: You smell fine, Debbie.

Debbie: Never have I meet a boy who doesn’t droll over me or wants to get in my pants.

Hanru: I’m not like most people. I’m very different. I consider myself to be my own person. No one has the same personality as I do, and no one ever will. What makes you, you? What makes you dress the way you do and have such sexual thoughts?

Debbie: I… don’t know. I guess it’s just a hormone problem I have. I can’t help the fact that I’m a very sexual creature.

Hanru: There’s nothing wrong with you being who you are, just respect that you coming on to me makes me very uncomfortable. That’s all I ask.

Debbie: I’m not making any promises, but I’ll try to respect that.

Hanru: By the way, you smell like smoke.

Debbie: My house burned down across town sadly. Well it was my apartment.

Hanru: What happened?

Debbie: (Lying) It was just a stove fire. I’m good in the bedroom but clumsy in the kitchen (Awkward chuckle).

(Natasha wraps her arms around Hanru’s collar and pecks him on the right side of his neck. Hanru seems to be ignoring the feeling.)

Natasha: Do you feel that? I know you don’t cause you’re blocking yourself from the feeling. That’s lust… (Kisses him again) She’s offering herself to you. She wants you, and don’t deny you want her. She’s sexy and she said so herself she’s very sweet… I say go for it. (Disappears)

Hanru: So what are you gonna do now since your apartment is gone?

Debbie: My roommate moved out recently so I didn’t have enough to pay the bills and stuff anyway. I guess for now I’ll just save up my money and start building myself up from the bottom all over again.

Hanru: What about your parents?

Debbie: I emancipated myself from them a long time ago. They don’t even live in this state. Where are your slave keepers (Chuckles)?

Hanru: When I was 7 a man came in and attempted to murder them and me. I still have the scar on my chest from the sword that was used. Anyway I don’t know if they’re still alive.

Debbie: (Smiles) Maybe you and I can be apartment buddies and get our own place.

Hanru: I rather we don’t, no offense.

Debbie: (Giggles) You’re funny.

(Chris comes out from the back.)

Chris: Hey, man, look, sorry to be the one to tell you this, but Jessica not in the mood for visitors. She asked me to tell you to come back another day.

Hanru: I’d rather she come say that to my face.

Chris: I think you should just leave.

Hanru: I’m only gonna say this once, Chris, so listen to me well.

Chris; No, you listen to me!

(Hanru gets angry, grabs the T.V. remote, and then throws it into his big screen T.V. The side of the T.V. cracks.)

Hanru: Do not interrupt me when I’m talking!

(Hanru rushes at Chris and slams him against the wall. He holds his collar and Chris has a terrified look on his face.)

Hanru: If I find out anything has happened to Jessica, believe me I’ll come back here and personally deal with you myself! Is that clear?!

Chris: (Frightened) I got it, man, I got it.

(Hanru throws Chris to the ground then casually leaves the house.)

(Fast food restaurant)

(Leo and Justin are eating tacos at a fast food place. Justin seems to be more focused on the case files he brought than the actual food itself. Leo is just trying to relax and enjoy his food.)

Leo: Looking at those case files too long will fry your brain. Believe me I know.

Justin: I remember you use to be one of the department’s best detectives before you overworked your brain and obsessed too much over cases and being the best you could be. Your mind never recovered from that, did it?

Leo: You need to focus on recovering your food before I eat it. Now I told you this lunch was my treat so I expect you to eat what I paid for.

Justin: (Closes file) Sorry, man. I just got this promotion and you know what it’s like to wanna impress your peers.

Leo: All I know is this taco is impressing my taste buds. I might just save the trouble of spending more money and eat yours before they get cold.

(Justin sighs and grabs one of his tacos. Both Leo and Justin’s cell phone ring spontaneously. Justin quickly drops his taco and answers before the first ring finishes.)

Justin: (Excited) Hargrove! (Disappointed) Yes I’m happy with my long distance carrier. (Hangs up)

(Leo casually pulls his phone out and waits till the 5th ring before answering it. He stares Justin in the eyes and grins the whole time he’s on the phone.)

Leo: Hey, Sergeant. (Sergeant speaks for a few seconds) Alright, thanks for the update. Justin and I will be there in about half an hour. (Hangs up)

Justin: Don’t keep me in suspense; what did the Sergeant want?

Leo: He wanted you to eat your tacos.

Justin: Come on, man, be serious.

Leo: Okay, I’ll seriously tell you what the Sergeant said after you finish your tacos. (Continues to eat)

Justin: (Smiles) You and your taco fetish.

(Both begin to laugh.)

(Kaito sits in his office with his legs plopped up on his desk. He tosses a baseball back and forth in his hands. Shido sits in a chair next to Kaito. Kaito seems to be in a happy mood. Shido is emotionless as usual.)

Kaito: So you think I should recruit the kid?

Shido: What do my thoughts have to do with anything, Kaito?

Kaito: You’re gonna be my new advisor; I need your input on this.

Shido: He is just a kid.

Kaito: But that could be our main advantage. In the history of the mob, how often do you hear about children being recruited?

Shido: Not very often I suppose.

Kaito: Exactly! I’m currently at war with two other gangs. The boy could be like a surprise attack to them. It’s brilliant.

Shido: I advise against it. But you do what you feel is necessary. I’m going to unpack and settle it. You go ahead and call that kid for your little dinner thing tonight. (Leaves the room)

(Kaito thinks for a few seconds before taking out his cell phone. He hesitantly dials each digit in Hanru’s number. Hanru’s walking down the street of a suburban neighborhood with an angry look on his face. His cell phone rings. He looks at the unrecognized number then answers it as he continues to walk.)

Hanru: Hello?

Kaito: Didn’t your mom ever tell you not to answer strange numbers?

Hanru: I never knew my mother. For all I know she’s probably dead.

Kaito: It’s a shame you’ll never know the joys of a mother’s cooking. But I know the next best thing. Meet me at the Crystal Swan restaurant around 8:30 tonight. I have a business arrangement to speak with you about.

Hanru: I’m not interested in joining the mob, Kaito.

Kaito: Watch what you say; I didn’t secure the phone line before I called. Look, meet me at the restaurant. I never paid you back for helping solve my brother’s killer. Let me buy you a lobster dinner tonight, on me. It’s the least I can do to show my appreciation.

Hanru: I don’t need your money, thank you, Kaito.

Kaito: Then let the dinner just be a thank you. My heart will feel unease if I went the rest of my days knowing I never did anything for you. Give me a chance to clear my conscience; can you at the very least do that?

Hanru: (Sighs) Alright, Kaito, I guess I’ll be there.

Kaito: (Excited) Alright, wonderful!

Hanru: But unlike you, I’m not rich and can afford fancy clothes.

Kaito: Hey, that’s fine, no problem. Show up naked for all I care, just you being there will be great. And hey, let’s make it 7:30. Don’t keep me waiting. (Hangs up)

(Natasha walks alongside Hanru. Hanru puts his phone back in his pocket.)

Natasha: I love how Kaito slipped in that last minute time change. It seems by you refusing to meet him at the beginning caused his mental superiority to feel threatened.

Hanru: Kaito’s a control freak. But because he wants me to join him so bad, I now have limited control over him.

Natasha: When someone wants something from you, they do anything to get on your good side and kiss your tail. Many women I knew used this to their advantage. Men want something from them like sex, so women hold out to get what they want from him and keep him under control. It’s amazing how sex feels better for a woman but men are the ones who obsess over it. Why is that do you think?

Hanru: Maybe because women are naturally sexual creatures. Because it’s natural to them. Their mentality isn’t as impacted as with guys. Women can logically think during sex and guys can’t. That explains why women usually mention why guys aren’t very good in bed, but guys always enjoy it.

Natasha: Awe how cute, you’re like my sex-ed teacher. You always talk about how dumb you are, yet you know a lot about sexuality. You’re not as dumb as you think. (Both stop walking and face each other) You just need to some motivation and someone to push you out there to learn.

Hanru: Are you like my mother now?

Natasha: Well I am a figment of your overactive imagination. Sometimes I’m here to poke fun at you and remind you how much of a loser you are; sometimes I’m here to lend you support. Right now, you need to duck.

Hanru: What?

(A soccer ball bashes Hanru in the forehead and he falls to the ground.)

Little Boy: Sorry! My bad!

(Chris’ home)

(Jessica walks out of the bathroom and goes into the living room. Chris is standing by the front door making sure it’s locked properly. He leans his back against the door and crosses his arms.)

Chris: Your friend has some real anger issues, you know that? You mind telling me why you wanted him to leave?

(Jessica turns her head and shows Chris a small bruise on the right side of her forehead. She turns away and covers it up with her short black hair after 3 seconds.)

Jessica: When I went to the bathroom I slipped on that stupid rug in front of the toilet and hit my head on the sink. I didn’t want him thinking you were abusing me or anything like that, so I just wanted him to leave.

(Chris walks up to Jessica and hugs her.)

Chris: No, of course I’d never hurt you, babe. Let’s get you in bed and put some ice on that so it won’t swell up alright.

Debbie: (Chuckles) Oh wow that whole sentence so turned me on just now.

Chris: Now’s not the time, Debbie.

(Hospital)

(Hanru walks into the hospital and sees Holly sitting alone in the waiting room crying. He stands in the doorway staring at her.)

Hanru: (Thinking) Should I go check to see how she’s doing? No, Hanru, just ignore her and move on. Just make your way to see Nicky and go on about your business.

(Hanru takes one step and Holly looks up and sees him.)

Holly: Hanru?!

Hanru: (Thinking) Dang it!

(Hanru turns and begins walking over to Holly.)

Hanru: Hey, Holly, what are you doing here?

Holly: I’m making sure my mother is okay.

Hanru: (Sits next to her in a chair and pretends to stay cool.) What happened to her?

Holly: Well I went to see her because…

Hanru: It’s ok to talk to me. You can trust me. (Wraps left arm over her shoulder to comfort her)

Holly: I lost both my parents, and I learned the truth that I was stolen from my biological parents when I was a baby. I just feel so lost now and it seems the only thing I can do with my life now is be like my real parents and make them proud.

Hanru: Your real parents do illegal things as a profession. Your father works for the mafia as a computer hacker and your mother is a night walker.

Holly: Night walker?

Hanru: A prostitute. Do you really wanna be like them?

Holly: You don’t understand what I’m feeling. You never had real parents to look up to. You lived with your uncle Leo most of your life. I guess you understand what I’m going through a little; your uncle was a detective and at some point you tried to be just like him. But you don’t fully understand.

Hanru: (Unwraps arm) Maybe I don’t fully understand, Holly, but I just don’t want you selling yourself and becoming a teenage prostitute. You’re way too smart for that.

Holly: It’s my life; I can do whatever I want with it (Sniffs and wipes tears away).

Hanru: Yeah… yeah I suppose it is your life. Just remember to always have control over it and not let your emotions takeover.

Holly: My emotions aren’t making me do this; it’s the needing of parental acceptance. You just don’t understand.

Hanru: (Stands up) I need to be somewhere. You still have my number right?

Holly: No I don’t; I lost all of my numbers.

Hanru: Okay well I’ll be back in about 10 minutes. I need to go meet with someone then I’ll be back to check on Janet with you.

Holly: If the doctors call me in, I’m going to see her anyway; I won’t wait for you.

Hanru: That’s fine, you don’t have to. I’ll see you later. (Walks away)

(Hanru is sitting on the couch in one of the patient’s hospital rooms talking to Nicky, Kaito’s blonde sister. Something seems to be troubling him.)

Hanru: So this is another middle-aged man who spontaneously dropped of a heart attack and is now in a coma.

Nicky: (Putting warm blankets on patient) I know someone is responsible for this. I know heart attacks are very common and one of the leading causes of death.

Hanru: I found out who it was.

Nicky: (Stares at Hanru) What?

Hanru: The girl responsible for poisoning these men is a woman named Kristen Gilbert. She would have sex with men going through heartbreak then poison them when they’re at their weakest moment.

Nicky: All of the patience have recently lost their wives. I mean I suppose it makes sense. Where can I find Kristen?

Hanru: I can’t tell you where to find her, but I can tell you where she’s at.

Nicky: Well where is she?

Hanru: In hell where she belongs.

Nicky: (Surprised) She died?

Hanru: She was murdered right in front of me.

Nicky: Maybe it’s best if I don’t know anymore.

Hanru: Fine, but at least listen to me when I tell you to not get involved in this.

Nicky: You said she’s dead right? How can I possible get more involved? Justice was served; she got what was coming to her.

Hanru: Understand that she may not be the only one. She might have accomplices. I don’t know the full details but I really think you should just stay out of this cause I don’t want you getting hurt.

Nicky: Thanks for caring so much, but I can take care of myself. I think maybe you should be the one who should be careful; she was murdered right in front of you. And if you’re theory is right about her having accomplices, then they’ll most likely go after you. No wonder why you’re so on edge today.

Hanru: I’m on edge because of your brother.

Nicky: Did he offer you a position finally?

Hanru: He will- tonight around 7:00 at the Crystal Swan. He contacted me a few hours ago. I know once I meet him he’s gonna charm me with fancy food and throw lobster in my face to get me to join him.

Nicky: Then you’re gonna have to join him. My brother never takes “no” for an answer. He always gets what he wants. When we were children, he used to beat on kids just so they would be scared of him and he’d have control. He also did it to protect our brother and mother. I remember when he broke a kid’s legs with stones in the middle of the woods because he hurt me.

Hanru: Why did he hurt you in the first place?

Nicky: Because I was coming on to him and he was telling me to stop. I didn’t listen to him and he pushed me down a hill. It was an accident of course; he didn’t mean to push me that hard. The hill was in the middle of the forest so the hill I fell down had a lot of sticks and dead grass. I scraped my knee and I landed in a pile of tree branches. The boy ran to go get some help, but no one was around. He came back about 10 minutes later; my brother and his friends got me out. He went down the hill to make sure I was alright, but then my brother asked him how he knew I was trapped. The boy told my brother Kaito that he accidentally pushed me down the hill. Kaito got angry because of how bad my leg was bleeding and he just… changed. I don’t know what it was but he became a completely different person. Kaito and his friends chased him through the forest; I kept begging them to stop. But Kaito just kept chasing him. Eventually, they caught up to him and beat him and kicked him. Kaito told them to stop, so they did. Then Kaito kicked him in his mouth and in his stomach three times in each spot. Kaito punched him so hard that he passed out. Kaito hit him again, and he woke up. The boy was choking on his own blood and dying. But Kaito didn’t care. Kaito grabbed some nearby stones and crushed that poor boy’s legs. I’ve never seen so much blood before. That was the first time I’ve seen a human’s bone in person. I was traumatized for a long while, but my brothers helped me get through it. After my brother broke his legs, we just left him there. Even though we all lived in the same neighborhood, we never heard his name again. His family moved without saying anything. There was no missing persons report, no police investigation, nothing. And whenever I went into the forest, I always went to that spot where we left him. It looked like his body had been dragged off somewhere. But during my investigation to try and find out what happened to him, I found his remains in a cave. Pieces of his clothing were still next to his skeletal remains and the legs were snapped. It turns out while he was dying a bear got to him and feed him to her cubs. I didn’t even know bears ate people.

Hanru: I have the feeling that the story you just told me has something to do with you being a doctor.

Nicky: (Checking patient’s IV) I couldn’t help him. But maybe I could help other people. That’s what I told myself. I could help those who were unable to help themselves. I wanna save you from Kaito, I really do. He’s extremely dangerous and he will kill you if you threaten his authority.

Hanru: Kaito’s the only person I know who can provide me with protection from people who want me dead.

Nicky: But who’s gonna protect you from Kaito?

Hanru: (Thinks for a few seconds before answering) When the time is right, I’ll deal with it.

Nicky: The only way you can deal with it is if you kill him. If Kaito wants you dead, he won’t stop until he gets what you want. Leaving the state or even the country will not save you from him.

Hanru: My step-aunt and my uncle are cops.

Nicky: Jail won’t save you from him. He may not be able to kill you personally, but in the end he will. Just face the fact that you have to do what he says and obey him if you want to live.

Hanru: Alright… alright.

(A blue light quickly flashes over the patient’s bed. Hanru and Nicky look up and see a glass ball with a camera inside looking directly at them.)

Hanru: (Nervous) There’s cameras in here?!

Nicky: Shoot, I forgot they reinstalled the new cameras already.

Hanru: (Stands up quickly and walks up to Nicky) So you’re telling me the security heard every bit of detail in our conversation just now?!

Nicky: …

Hanru: Well did they?!

Nicky: Yes! Yes they did. I’m sorry, I’m really sorry.

(The door opens and a chubby male security guard walks in. Hanru and Nicky try to stay calm as they stand side-by-side. The officer walks a couple feet inside the room then stares at Nicky with a freighting glare.)

Security guard: (Nods) Nicky Zonoda?

Nicky: (Walks up to the guard nervously) Yes, that’s me; can I help you with something?

Security: You know why I’m here. While I was at my post watching the monitors, I heard a very interesting conversation. (Reaches into his back pocket) Can you guess what about?

Nicky: What was the conversation?

Security: It was about how sloppy doctors are becoming nowadays. (Offers Nicky a white card)

(Nicky takes the card and looks at it.)

Security: It’s your I.D. You left it in the cafeteria during your lunch. Your friend Peter asked me to give it to you since I was on my lunch break. He told me I’d be able to find you here.

Nicky: Tell him I said thank you for finding it.

Security: Will do. (Smiles) You take care now. Oh and by the way, some of these new cameras haven’t been fixed to pick up sound yet, so if there’s an emergency, don’t yell into the camera and wave your hands like the last nurse. (Laughs

(As the security guard leaves, Peter walks in. The two of them smile and say “excuse me” to one another. Peter closes the door behind him then walks up to Nicky. He has a serious attitude.)

Nicky: Thanks for finding my ID, Peter. I was looking all over for it.

Peter: You think its fun hanging around criminals?

Nicky: Are you talking about my brother again?

Peter: (Angry) No I’m not talking about your brother; I’m talking about him!

Hanru: … Me?!

Peter: I know about you! I’m surprised you don’t recognize me.

Hanru: You do look familiar…

Peter: You remember Vivica? A few weeks ago she asked you to help prove her son was innocent after he was accused of killing a cop. She was murdered in her house when you were there and during the time you tried to clean any trace of evidence proving you were even in the house.

Hanru: You were that paramedic that told me you wouldn’t tell if I didn’t…

Peter: Ah, now you remember. (Crosses arms) It’s amazing how you work. You and your uncle are murderers. It must run in the family.

Hanru: I am not a murderer. I did what I had to, to make sure the police didn’t know I was there in her house!

Peter: Tell me, does everyone in your family lie like you?

Nicky: Peter, not now. He’s been through enough; leave him alone.

Peter: I’ll leave him alone when he leaves you alone. I purposely sent that security guard away cause once I saw him walk in, I already knew why he was here. He was going to talk to you about the patients being poisoned. I waited for the right time to get the security guard off the monitors to protect you from getting arrested!

Nicky: Peter, why would you do that?

Peter: Because you’re one of my closest friend! I don’t wanna see anything bad happen to you.

Nicky: Just leave, Peter. I can’t look at you right now.

Peter: Hanru, I’m warning you to stay away. If I see your face around here again, I’m telling the police everything I know about you and your uncle. I’ve went through so much research and found so much dirt on your uncle’s past. I have enough evidence to send him to jail for life. And after that thing that happened to you when you were little, he should be ashamed of himself.

Hanru: What? Are you talking about what happened to me when I seven years old?

Peter: I am. I found the guy who stabbed you and questioned him about what happened. I threatened to kill his family, so he was more than willing to tell me everything.

Hanru: Tell me what happened that day, tell me about my past. I never knew what happened.

Peter: Stay away from Nicky and maybe I’ll tell you. (Leaves the room)

Natasha: (Sitting on the couch) This guy is trouble. If you join Kaito, he can help you get the answers you want out of him. It’ll be bloody and a lot of screaming will be involved but I think in the long run, the knowledge will be worth it.

Nicky: I’m sorry about that, Hanru.

Hanru: No I’m sorry. I might have to get Kaito to deal with your friend.

Nicky: If you have him killed, you’ll have much more problems to deal with. Brandy and I will personally hunt you down.

Hanru: Relax, I’m not gonna get him killed. All I want is for Kaito to scare some information out of him.

Nicky: You better not hurt him.

Hanru: I won’t hurt him. But I have decided to join Kaito. Cause right now I need him.

Nicky: You just watch your back.

Hanru: I’ll be fine.

(Crystal Swan)

(The time is 9:00PM. Hanru continues to wait outside of the restaurant patiently. Kaito pulls up in a black limo. He takes his sweet time getting out.)

Natasha: (Standing beside Hanru) You know why he’s two hours late, don’t you?

Hanru: I’m guessing it’s because he feels he needed more control over me.

Natasha: He knows that you threaten his power. Mentally he’s trying to prove to himself that he has control over you. He’s thinking to himself no matter how late he is you will still meet him. No respect.

Hanru: Well he doesn’t have control over me. Perhaps we should play a little game.

(Kaito’s walking toward Hanru with a smile on his face.)

Natasha: You’re playing on dangerous territory. The field is like a landmine.

Hanru: And I’m just waiting to see which one of us explodes first and loses it.

Kaito: (Excited) Hanru, my man! (Offers to shake hands) My bad for being late; I had some personal business to take care of. You know how it is

Hanru: I don’t shake hands; I’m partially germophobic.

Kaito: Ah, that’s fine! (Puts hand down) Please, after you; what kind of host would I be if I walked in front of guest?

Hanru: I actually get paranoid when people walk too close behind me. We should just walk side-by-side.

Kaito: You get nervous when people walk behind you? Well that’s a new one. The table’s only about 20 feet away.

Hanru: It’s over 50 feet and I hate people walking behind me. You already showed up late so really all I wanna do is walk away right now.

Kaito: You waited all this time; I highly doubt you’d just leave.

Hanru: You obviously don’t know me very well, Mr. Zonoda.

Kaito: (Smiles and gets excited) Well isn’t that the reason why we’re here; to get to know each other? Look, my apologies for making you uncomfortable. I’ll go ahead and walk in front of you.

Hanru: Thanks.

(The limo is still parked in front of the restaurant. The one driving the limo is Shido, Kaito’s new advisor. Shido looks down and he’s looking through his touch screen camera. He’s looking at pictures he jus took of Hanru and Kaito talking in front of the restaurant. Beautiful violin music is playing by professionals who fill the air with grace and silent melodies. A crystal clear fountain reflects the dimming lights which display over the tables of the graceful outdoor restaurant. The residence of the outdoor restaurant all are in formalwear as they engage in silent conversation. Hanru and Kaito stand at a small round table with a beautiful white cloth over it and well-designed props of silverware and wine glasses.)

Kaito: Hanru! So nice of you to join me on this special occasion!

Hanru: What special occasion?

Kaito: Let me pull your chair out for you?

Hanru: No thanks; I’ve got it.

Kaito: You like doing things on your own, I see. I know it’s not gonna be easy asking you this.

Hanru: Just ask me before I take a bite of the food you’re going to buy for me and my sense of judgment becomes vulnerable.

Kaito: (Chuckle) You’re funny; I like that. We could use humor down at the hideout.

Hanru: Are you requesting for me to join you in your… shenanigans?

Kaito: Who uses that word anymore? Nevermind, it’s not important.

Hanru: Normally I would accept your offer, Mr. Zonoda. But I don’t want to get involved with the wrong people and risk putting my loved ones in grave danger. I’ve been down that road before.

Kaito: How is that road?

Hanru: Very rough and very rocky. It’s like riding a bike to the top of a mountain.

Kaito: I understand that, I do. I understand you don’t want anyone getting hurt. But know you’ll be closely watched by some of my best men, not to mention me personally.

Hanru: I like my privacy, Mr. Zonoda.

Kaito: Hey, just call me Kaito; we’re buddies now.

Hanru: Well, “buddy.” The mafia is not what I want to do with my life. I’m fine with my Conan Edogawa reputation.

Kaito: You know one thing you’ll learn about me is I never take no for an answer. I’m sure you’ll come around to it. You just need some time to think.

Hanru: No I’m done thinking. I’ve made my choice. I don’t want to join you.

Kaito: Okay… I know what you need is a little persuasion. You need something to help you step up on that ladder of success; or in this case, money. (Throws a small stack of money on the table)

Hanru: I don’t need your money, Kaito. I don’t want to work for you and there’s nothing you can do to change my mind.

Kaito: (Takes money back) I never thanked you for finding my brother’s killer. I would like to repay you in some way.

(A waitress comes over and puts a plate of steamed lobster in front of Hanru. She then walks away without saying a word.)

Hanru: You inviting me to this expensive restaurant is more than enough. I thank you for bringing me here for dinner.

Kaito: What you think I bought that food for you? You have me mistaken; that’s for one of my bodyguards.

(A bodyguard walks up behind Hanru.)

Bodyguard: Excuse me.

Hanru: You just sent him over here to take my food so you can lure me back to you and have another excuse to thank me for saving your sister’s life and finding your brother’s killer so you can once again offer me to join you in a way I can’t refuse and by giving him my food you know I have no reason for being here so I’m just gonna leave and by leaving I’m giving you more time to think of a plan to thank me in a way where I can’t say no to your next offer.

Kaito: (Laughs loudly) I love this kid! Hey, everybody isn’t this kid amazing! Man you’re such a smart kid!

Hanru: I’ve been around you long enough to understand you. Well… most of you.

Kaito: (Excited) You would really be a good asset. Just think about it.

Hanru: Lately my life’s been pretty blank. I can’t see my future; where I work or whether or not I have a family.

Kaito: You can have all the girls you want. What you want, Asian, White, Black, Arabic? You name it; I got it. If I don’t got it, I can get it for you.

Hanru: You’re not helping. Look I’ll think about it. But to make sure we’re not bumping heads, let’s make things clear. I will not murder. I will have nothing to do with the involvement of any murder…

Kaito: I’m gonna be honest; Friend-to-friend. If you do get involved, most likely you will be involved in a murder, or whacking. But I’ll try my best to not get you involved. But if you are involved, you’ll only be put on scouting missions.

Hanru: I appreciate your honesty, Kaito. I’ll think about it.

Kaito: Ah that’s great!

Hanru: But don’t put too much faith in my decision.

Kaito: (Grins) You got a deal, partner.

(Kaito reaches his hand to engage the deal with Hanru. But does he really want to engage?)

Hanru: I don’t shake hands, remember?

Kaito: Yeah, I remember.

Hanru: I’ll see you around, Kaito.

(Hanru stands up and continues to walk away toward the inside of the restaurant. Natasha follows him.)

Natasha: I thought you wanted to join him?

Hanru: Landmine, remember? Kaito’s not going to accept me saying no, so he’ll call me bac-

Kaito: (Yells) Hanru!

Hanru: (Grins) Told you. I’m slowly learning how he works. And he doesn’t know I am controlling him right now. (Stops walking and turns around)

Kaito: I was only joking about my bodyguard eating the food; it really is for you! Come on, it’s paid for!

Natasha: I like your dangerous side; it makes you sexy.

(Hanru sits back down at the table and smiles.)

Kaito: I can request a bigger size lobster if that’s too small for you.

Hanru: I agree to join you, Kaito. This is the hour a great relationship begins and a bond is formed by the bridge of a handshake. (Puts his hand on the table)

Kaito: Well alright! (Shakes Hanru’s hand)

Hanru Narrating: There it is… I know I’m going to regret this choice to join him, but it’s better to regret than to live a life of constantly looking over your own shoulder and the shoulder of those you care about. I’ve learned tonight that if you surrender your own self-control and allow someone to have power over you, whether it be your significant other, your teacher, or even your boss, keep in mind that you can always control how much power they have over you. All you have to do is think of the alternatives; think about what kind of control you have over them, and if you have no control at all, use that lack of control to your advantage and go in for a sneak attack. At the moment they least expect it, show a glimmer of your true colors and take back your power little bit at a time. But be careful… Some peoples’ authority hides in a landmine if it feels threatened. If you go into the landmine to go against that authority, make sure you know your ins and outs, because one wrong move can cause an explosion, and you will be the one hurt…

TO BE CONTINUED…