Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Two Chapter Twenty: The Exchange (Summer 2012)

(Turner’s home, around 7:00 AM)

(Many girls, in two-piece bikinis, are tanning and splashing around the pool. Turner is tanning in the sun with shorts and sunglasses on. Hanru walks up to him and sits on the tanning chair next to him. Hanru seems very upset about something.)

Turner: Don’t take the buzzer seriously; it stops working from time-to-time.

Hanru: Yeah, you just wanted to test my patience and see how long it’ll take before I hopped your fence. That’s why your buzzer “wasn’t working”.

Turner: Actually, someone wanted to hide from you, so I was stalling and giving them time to get out of sight.

Hanru: Really?

Turner: Why are you here, kid? You’re disrupting my tanning time.

Hanru: It’s like 7:00 in the morning.

Turner: Yes, but this is Vegas. Vegas is always un-expecting and random. Now what do you want?

Hanru: I want Kaito dead.

Turner: We all want Kaito dead, kid. He gives the mafia a bad name. Kaito uses guns and his temper to manipulate those weak enough to not stand up to him. But for those who have spoken their minds to him were killed. Kaito gets what he wants, or he kills people in the process. Kaito has scared many people into following him, but Kaito has more enemies than he does followers. The problem is how to identify them apart.

Hanru: I’m definitely an enemy.

Turner: I can see the bloodlust in your eyes kid; I know you are. But you can’t just go around demanding folks dead.

Hanru: So how do I get rid of Kaito? He’s going to come after my friends and family now that I’m on his bad side.

Turner: (Takes sunglasses off) Oh hey.

(Hanru turns around and Debbie stands behind him.)

Hanru: Debbie?

Turner: your girlfriend beat you to the punch. She came all this way, just to hire me to kill Kaito. She confessed she wanted him dead to keep you safe. She must really have a thing for you.

Hanru: Debbie…

Debbie: I know it was wrong of me, but I sold most of the stuff you bought me from the time we spent in Vegas together. I needed enough money to hire him and for my essentials for when I’m on the road traveling.

Hanru: I’m not mad about that; I understand why you had to do it.

(Turner’s cell phone goes off on the table next to him. He answers.)

Turner: What do you want? (Other person talks for 5 seconds) I’ll buzz you in. (Hangs up)

Debbie: Maybe it wasn’t my place to call a hit on Kaito, but please understand I did it for your own good.

Hanru: Well thanks for looking out for me.

(LJ and the Professor rush into the pool area in a panic. They quickly walk up to everybody.)

Turner: What’s the emergency?

LJ: Kaito’s new assistant informed me of what Kaito plans to do today. He plans on murdering everybody. I don’t know why, but those are his plans.

Turner: Then why would you lead them in here?!

LJ: What?!

(Everyone turns around.)

LJ: We didn’t even know he followed us here.

(Kaito stands in the door way from the pool area and the house with Koroshi. The two of them hold in their hands automatic rifles. LJ and Timothy point their guns at them.)

Kaito: You know something; life is boring. Every day is the same for me. I need some excitement. Hanru, I thought you were that excitement, but now I see I was wrong. After I kill you today, I’m going after your family. Killing is a thrill for me! I will personally kill every single one of your loved ones. And I will make sure they suffer. Every shed of blood; every scream of pain they let out, will be on you.

Hanru: You better make sure you kill me, Kaito, because after this moment, I’m coming after you and I’m destroying you! You were once a demon hidden deep within myself. I only joined you because a part of me recognized you and I wanted to prove I was able to beat you. I wanted to prove I could beat my demon of control!

Kaito: The demon of control, controls even me. Deep down, I wanted control over you because you too had that demon. By controlling you, I controlled the demon. So you see… in the end, we both wanted the same thing from each other. We’re both the exact same thing. My whole life, I thought I was alone. I see that’s not true. You’re my kindness; I’m your darkness.

Hanru: So you are, Kaito.

Kaito: I’m done with it all. I’m done with life, with people, with the struggle for my own insanity. I’m letting my darkness take over now. I need to kill all remaining light within me… so goodbye.

(Everything moves in slow motion. Kaito and his bodyguard Koroshi aim their assault rifles and begin shooting at everyone at the pool. LJ gets shot in the arm and as he falls, he lets off one shot that hits Koroshi in the chest. He seems unaffected. Kaito looks deep in Hanru’s eyes and shoots at him multiple times. Debbie gets in front of Hanru and tackles him down into cover. Four bullets shoot through the upper right side of Debbie’s back. All of the helpless women in bikinis are shot down. Blood, flesh and bullets fly everywhere. Almost everyone gets shot. Kaito quickly runs away. Koroshi follows him and is shot in the leg by LJ. He falls to the ground. Koroshi quickly drops his jacket and body armor before limping away. Kaito and Koroshi quickly jump in Kaito’s car and drive away. The Professor walks up to Koroshi’s jacket and opens it. Under the jacket is armor. Under the armor is a bomb. The Professor quickly runs. Kaito is in his car with a tiny detonator. He pushes the button. The bomb explodes and instantly destroys Turner’s entire house. Hanru and Debbie look each other deep in the eyes as their vision slowly begins to fade.)

(Miami)

(Henry is in a strange apartment. He appears to be talking to Ada on the couch. Ada has blond hair and a different attitude.)

Henry: You’re a beautiful woman. You’re even more beautiful than your twin sister.

Ronda: (Smiles) Thank you, Henry. You’re not so bad yourself. It’s too bad you’re a man though, cause I am so in the mood right now.

Henry: We could always role play.

Ronda: No thank you.

Henry: Playing with your sister’s emotions turns you on, but nor role playing?

Ronda: I just wanna have a little fun with her is all before we reunite.

Henry: She hasn’t opened the box yet. She said she’d rather wait for the right moment when she’s alone.

Ronda: Poor girl. It must be hard for her to remember her past.

Henry: It is.

Ronda: By the way, our boss has kidnapped some little boy named Lee back in Las Vegas. We are instructed to keep him alive until the right moment comes.

Henry: Alright then. Mr. “Swinister” is the boss, so we command.

(Kaito and Koroshi are seen getting on a private jet and flying off back to Miami. In Kaito’s hands is a list of victims he’s on his way to kill. Lawrence, Ada, Jessica, and even Leo are on the list.)

(Isaac’s loft)

(Isaac and Erika are both sitting on Isaac’s bed. Isaac is shaking his leg and is in deep thought about something. Erika sits on the other side of the bed with her back turned toward him. She’s too afraid to say anything. The room remains quiet for 5 seconds.)

Erika: Isaac.

Isaac: Not now, Erika. I’m not in the mood to talk right now.

Erika: (Looks down) I’m sorry...

Isaac: Look, maybe you should go. You don’t need to be involved in this.

Erika: I already am involved, Isaac. Whatever issues you have don’t need to be bared alone. (Sits next to Isaac on the bed) I’m here for you and I always will be.

(Erika hugs Isaac, but he does not hug back. After 3 seconds, he actually gently pushes her off of him.)

Erika: Isaac, I’m only trying to be supportive.

Isaac: I know! I know… But you need to understand that I’m not right for you.

Erika: Isaac.

Isaac: No, hear me out, Erika. I am a drug dealer; you work with police.

Erika: I can promise you I won’t have a hard time choosing between you and my job. We can keep your drug dealing thing a secret. I don’t care that I’ll have to lie to my coworkers.

Isaac: You need to move on, Erika. You and I are meant to stay friends.

Erika: But you’re the first guy I ever made love too. All other sexual encounters were forced.

Isaac: Erika, you are blind to the truth. The truth is that you do not want to move on with your life. You’ve been raped, abused, addicted to drugs and alcohol, humiliated. You’ve mentally been through so much, yet you remain a sane individual.

Erika: What’s your point, Isaac? I mean, you should be happy that those things didn’t turn me into some psycho chick! You should be happy that I have moved on and have found some peace! Why aren’t you happy for me?

Isaac: (Angry) I am not happy, because you have locked away your true self, Erika! Your mind has mentally blocked away every issues you‘ve ever had! With the drugs and alcohol, you went three years without it and you did well- you cured yourself. But you never faced the reality of your rape and you or abuse. (Calms down) You’ve mentally locked those emotional issues away. Years from now, you’re going to have this feeling deep in your gut. This feeling will be a hole. The hole will represent you not facing your issues head-on and letting them just stay locked away in your mind. You need to reopen that mentality, Erika. You need to face who you really are and stop hiding.

Erika: Stop hiding, huh…? And how do I do that?

Isaac: (Puts his hand in the side of her hair) You need to move on. You need to go out, date, have sex with men; or women, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Erika: I don’t think so, Isaac. I’m sorry, but I’m fine the way I am. I don’t need to stir up any negative emotions; I need to continue living my life free and peacefully. You’re the only one who can make that peace more complete, Isaac. (Moves closer to Isaac and smiles at him)

Isaac: (Stands up and turns away) Okay, you’re not getting it, Erika.

Erika: I just want to be happy, Isaac, is that too much to ask for?!

Isaac: (Turns to Erika and gets angry) You will never truly be at peace with yourself until you face the demons of your past! Even if your mind mentally blocks something, you will one day have to face it again in your lifetime! You and I will not work out because we come from two different worlds! We don’t think the same, we aren’t the same! You don’t even know who you truly are as a person! You need to understand, Erika that I do not want us to be together romantically!

Erika: Y-You’re serious… aren’t you? You really don’t want to be with me?

Isaac: I have a man coming after me to kill me. I just don’t want you getting involved in this, Erika.

Erika: Fine, Isaac. (Stands up in front of Isaac) If you don’t want me to get involved in your business that’s too bad! I’ll accept not being able to be with you, but I do not accept my best friend doing this alone and getting himself killed. As your friend, I have your back, Isaac. I will be your partner and helping you protect yourself.

Isaac: What can you possibly do to help me, Erika?

Erika: I know a guy who can help.

(Jet)

(Hanru wakes up on an operating table. The room seems loose and shaky. Hanru looks around the empty room. He unbuttons his black shirt and looks at where he got shot at. He seems to have no wound. He walks out of the room and realizes he’s in a small private airplane. Hanru goes to the cockpit and sees a dirty old man with full facial hair driving. LJ is in the passenger seat.)

LJ: You’re the first to wake up. It’s not surprising since you had some protection.

Hanru: What kind of protection?

LJ: That girl of yours jumped in front of you and took 4 bullets to save your life. We all thought you got shot anyway, man. But you’re standing here; healthy as a clam. You should be so lucky.

Hanru: I guess I am…

(Moment of silence)

Hanru: I’m afraid to ask.

LJ: I’m afraid to tell.

Hanru: If you’re afraid to tell, that must mean…

LJ: Yeah… I’m really sorry. She was a nice girl. We didn’t just leave her there though; we have people taking care of her. But she took 4 bullets. I honestly don’t think she’s coming back from that.

Hanru: Are you just saying that to make me feel better?

LJ: Maybe.

Hanru: Perhaps it’s best I don’t know that truth.

LJ: Agreed.

Kevin: Uh, hi. I’m Kevin by the way. Would you like some candy? I have some a sweet Payday bar covered in nuts that just melts in your mouth.

Hanru: We meet three years ago at a bus stop and you said that to my friends and me.

Kevin: Ok. So is that a yes?

Hanru: Sure.

Kevin: It’ll run you about 13 dollars.

Hanru: 13 dollars for a Payday candy bar?!

Kevin: If that’s too expensive for you, I also got some 4 cent noodles in my bag. I’ll tell you what; since you’re such a cool guy, I’ll knock of 50% from the noodles.

Hanru: only 50%?

Kevin: Hey, every penny counts.

LJ: We’re heading back to Miami; you got somewhere you wanna be?

Hanru: Jessica’s. I need to make sure she’s safe. I’d appreciate it if you made sure everything was okay at my house.

LJ: Personally I feel I need to be with my family to protect them. But as a favor, I’ll see to it your family is alright.

Hanru: Thank you, LJ.

(Hospital)

(Justin walks into the hospital and casually approaches the receptionist. The receptionist is a friendly woman with short black hair and a very slim body. Her name is Gladys.)

Gladys: Hi, how may I help you?

Justin: (Shows badge) Hello. Detective Hargrove. (Puts badge away and looks around for a few seconds) I was wondering if Brandy was in today; do you know?

Gladys: I know exactly who you are talking about, detective. She will begin her lunch break soon, you could wait for her in the cafeteria if you’d like and I will be sure to deliver the message that you’re here.

Justin: I’d rather she not know I was expecting her, ma’am.

Gladys: Yes, sir.

(About 10 minutes have passed. Justin sits casually in the cafeteria waiting for Brandy to walk in. Nicky Zonoda instead walks in and sits at the same table as Justin.)

Justin: Hello?

Nicky: I’ve noticed you cops around here a lot lately. What is it you want?

Justin: I’m sorry, who are you?

Nicky: I work here, can’t you tell from my scrubs?

Justin: I mean what made you approach me the way you did? Is there something we “cops” should know about?

Nicky: There isn’t unless you ask.

Justin: I get it… Alright so what is it with the strokes and heart attacks that have been going on around here the past month? The rate of old men being hospitalized is high in this hospital; not to mention, these men were all recently divorced before being hospitalized.

Nicky: We’ve checked multiple times for any trace of poison. There’s nothing to be found, I can assure you.

Justin: So I’m supposed to just believe that these men being hospitalized at the same time is just a coincidence?

Nicky: Yes, detective. I’ve noticed the same pattern you have, and I personally tested these individuals for every type of poison I could found on the search engine. These men are all in comas and they die before they wake up, so there’s nothing useful for you here.

Justin: I see.

Nicky: I’m sorry.

Justin: Something is going on around this hospital; I can feel it.

Nicky: You’d be right. This hospital is central for secret keeping. There’s so much drama going on around this hospital; if you knew everything that these doctors keep hidden, you would be buried in secrets for weeks.

Justin: I see.

Nicky: I’m sorry, but I should get back to work; which you look like you could use a break from. (Stands up) You look tired and overworked. Take a vacation, order some online strippers in Vegas or something, just take a load off and relax.

Justin: I’ve actually been getting that a lot lately. (Sighs) Maybe I do need to take it easy. I’m so worried about impressing my peers I forgot to take care of my own well-being. (Rubs eyes) I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since I got promoted.

Nicky: Well remember to always work hard, but remember to not overwork yourself, because eventually the lack of rest will catch up to you and make your performance poor.

Justin: Yeah, thanks. I’ll get out of your hair now.

Nicky: You have yourself a nice day, detective.

(Chris’ home)

(Jessica wakes up in bed with a smile on her face. She looks over and doesn’t see Chris on the other side. Her smile goes away. She turns and looks at the time and it’s already past 12. Jessica walks out into the living room and sees Chris French kissing on another girl.)

Jessica: (Shocked) CHRIS?!

Chris: (Stops kissing) Oh hey, Jess! The gorgeous woman with the dark purple hair here is Tammy.

Tammy: (Smiles and winks) Hey…

Chris: She’s a hooker I rented for the day. What you and I had last night was boring. I usually like virgins, but you… You were the worse virgin I’ve ever had. I mean you hardly even got wet and I had to deal with an hour of your constant complaining about how much it hurt, and you kept pushing me off of you; which was very annoying by the way.

Jessica: Chris…

Chris: Please, Jessica. All I ever wanted from you was your virginity. I mean come on; I never did anything nice for you except cuddle and kiss you all day. You and I had nothing special going on. You wanna know another thing? This isn’t really my house. The people who own this place are out on vacation. But they’ll be back soon. For now, I’m borrowing this place to use women for sex. It was mainly for you, but I’m done with you now.

Jessica: (Tears falling from her face) Really…? Is this really how you feel about me? Do you think I’m just some tool you can use?!

Chris: I’ve already used you up, babe. You’re worthless to me now. All tools get used up eventually. You should get out of here now. I don’t want to see your ugly face anymore.

Tammy: Awe, why are you so mean to the poor girl?

Chris: Shut up, hooker; I paid you to satisfy me; not talk.

Tammy: Okay, seriously, I don’t have to take this. I don’t have sex with jerks, unless it’s with my man!

(Tammy pulls a roll of money and tosses it back at Chris. She stands up and pulls her skirt down.)

Tammy: Don’t you ever come around my block looking for me again.

(Tammy angrily walks toward the front door.)

Jessica: Wait, Tammy!

(Tammy stops and looks at Jessica as she cries.)

Jessica: Please take me with you.

Tammy: Take you with- What? I’m sorry but I have no idea who you are, honey.

Jessica: Please, Tammy. My parents disowned me! Chris was my savior at the time. I have nowhere to go! I have seen what happens to girls like me who are out in the street homeless! Tammy, please just take me in! Teach me how to survive out there in the streets, please; I’m begging you. I’ll fall to my hands and knees begging, if that’s what it takes! (Falls down to her hands and knees)

(LJ drops Hanru off at the front of the house. Hanru gets out of the car and puts one of LJ’s special guns in the back of his pants.)

LJ: Did you just put my gun in your butt crack?

Hanru: (Joking) Not all the way.

(Both chuckle.)

LJ: You make sure you wash my gun off with bleach before you give it back.

Hanru: Don’t worry; I’ll give it a “spit shine.”

LJ: (Chuckles) Kaito’s been following us for a couple blocks now. I’m not sure how he found us, but he’s close. You better have an escape plan.

Hanru: Meet us around back on the next block over. We’ll hope the fence to you.

LJ: It’s a plan.

Chris: (Grins) You’re pathetic, Jessica.

(Jessica is on her knees crying. Tammy feels so bad for her. Hanru walks in the door behind Tammy; no one sees him. Chris stands over Jessica, grinning at her misery.)

Chris: You realize you’re begging to a hooker, right? How low can you get?

Jessica: (Crying) Please, Chris; I can’t take this from you right now; please just stop.

Chris: Because you’re too pathetic and weak! Oh how my brother and I would be laughing so hard at you right now.

Jessica: You’re sick, Chris; you know that? You disgust me!

Chris: Yeah whatever, your body disgusts me. I can’t believe I went down on that. I feel sorry for whatever chump ends up with you.

(Hanru grabs Chris by the shoulders and throws him into the big screen T.V. in the room. The screen shatters and Chris falls to the floor. Chris looks up at Hanru. Hanru kicks Chris in the eye with the tip of his shoe. Chris yells out in pain and holds his eye as he turns and desperately tries to crawl away. Hanru stomps Chris in the back of his head three times. He then grabs the T.V. and pushes it over on top of Chris’ body. Chris passes out.)

Jessica: Hanru?

Hanru: (Angry) Jessica, Kaito and I have broken up. And it seems you and Chris have too. Kaito’s coming to kill you, so you need to go someplace else; someplace where he won’t find you.

Jessica: I have nowhere else to go!

Tammy: Wait, did you say Kaito?

Hanru: Do you know Kaito Zonoda?!

Tammy: Yeah, I was one of his girls awhile back.

Hanru: Well Kaito’s going to be dead soon. Can I trust you to keep Jessica safe until he’s out of the way?!

Tammy: Well I don’t know-

Hanru: (Angry) CAN I TRUST YOU?!

Tammy: (Frightened) Yes, yes; you can trust me.

Hanru: Good! Now get out of here! Do not come out of hiding until you think it’s safe.

Jessica: I got it…

(Tammy slams the door closed in a panic.)

Tammy: I just saw Kaito pulling up!

Hanru: Hurry, run out the back door. Go and jump the fence over to the next block!

(Everyone leaves out the back. Kaito shoots at the door 3 times then kicks it down. He looks around the living room angry. He hears a moan. Chris is awake. Kaito slowly walks up to Chris, kneels down to him, and puts his gun up to Chris’ face.)

Kaito: I tracked Hanru’s phone here; where is he? You have one chance to confess, or I’ll kill you.

Chris: He ran out the back with Jessica and some hooker. Please take me with you. I want to see him dead after what he just did to me.

Kaito: If you slow me down one bit, I will kill you. Know I’m not lying.

Chris: I’ll carry my own weight; I promise.

Kaito: Alright then… (Stands up) If I were Hanru, where would I go…? I would have a car waiting for me around the block. That’s why LJ drove off and didn’t wait for Hanru to come outside. I’ve got something for LJ.

(Boathouse in the forest)

(Erika and Isaac walk into a boathouse and approach a man eating sunflower seeds with a knife in his hand. He leans back in his chair which sits behind a wooden table.)

Clay: Het there, precious; come to give ole Clay another visit after 3 years I see. That’s alright; the ladies just can’t resist me. (Spits seeds on the floor)

Isaac: You two know each other I see.

Erika: I’m surprised he still knows me after all this time.

Clay: I don’t get too many female customers. One other woman who purchased from me was a sweet blonde. She bought a sniper rifle from me so that she could kill her husband after he took her son away. I think she was schizophrenic.

Erika: That’s too bad.

Clay: I also worried about you, sweetheart. You weren’t in the sanest emotional state when you purchased those knives from me. I was quite confident you went and murdered some man from your past who hurt you. I thought about you almost every day but I didn’t expect to actually see you again.

Erika: I had a friend help me out with that. I’m not a murderer and I never will be… unless it’s for my own survival. A good friend of mine taught me to stop running from my problems and fight the courage within myself to fight back.

Isaac: (Smiles) You should listen to your friend more often; he seems handsome.

(Erika laughs.)

Clay: Alright, so are we gonna do this deal or what?

(A man walks into the door. Erika and Isaac both turn around. The man is Bruce.)

Clay: Hey, you’re early.

(Bruce and Isaac both pull pistols out at each other.)

Clay: Whoa, whoa fellas; what’s going on here?

Bruce: Isaac, we both know how this is gonna turn out.

Isaac: Yeah; with you dead. If I kill you right now, my debt will be paid off and I won’t have to look over my shoulder anymore.

Bruce: The Professor is dead.

Isaac: What?

Bruce: Kaito and his bodyguard Koroshi blew up Turner’s house while the professor was inside.

Isaac: How do I know you’re lying to me just to get me to lower my gun?

Bruce: You were never one to put much trust into other people, but what I’m telling you is the truth.

Isaac: Why would Kaito kill the Professor; the two of them are partners.

Bruce: Kaito found out his crew turned against him. He’s currently on a rampage right now.

Isaac: So why are you here? What are you buying weapons for?

Bruce: Because Kaito tells me to kill you, or he’ll kill me. I’m not ready to die yet, Isaac. It’s either you or me.

Isaac: Well it’s definitely not me, so it must be you.

(Both of them pull their triggers at the same time, but nothing happens.)

Bruce: Well, isn’t this something.

Isaac: Seems we’re both out of bullets.

Bruce: Nope. My gun is just on safety.

(Bruce shoots Isaac in the shoulder and he falls to the ground.)

Erika: ISAAC!

Bruce: I need to make sure he’s dead; get out of the way.

(Bruce runs up to Isaac and points his gun.)

Erika: No, don’t touch him!

(Erika pushes his gun away and he accidently shoots at the wall. Isaac wakes up from the sound and Clay quickly pulls out a shot gun from under the table to point is at Bruce. Bruce holds Erika hostage with his gun up to her head.)

Clay: Dang it, Bruce! Just let her go, she didn’t do anything to hurt you!

Bruce: I know that, but as long as long as I have her hostage; Isaac will have no choice but to listen to my demands.

Isaac: Let her go, Bruce!

Bruce: Sorry, Isaac, but I only have one shot left. And that shot is going into her head if it’s not going through yours.

Isaac: I’ll get you Erika! (Tries to get up but quickly falls) I promise, I’ll get you back!

Erika: I trust you, Isaac!

(Bruce drags Erika out of the boathouse and gets into his speedboat on the dock. He throws Erika in and makes her hit her head on a pole than he quickly speeds off.)

Bruce: I’m sorry about this.

Erika: This wouldn’t be my first time getting kidnapped.

Bruce: Again- sorry.

(Isaac’s cell phone rings. He quickly answers it.)

Isaac: Who is this?

Kaito: It’s Kaito! Judging from how hard you’re breathing, I’m guessing Bruce has gotten to you already.

Isaac: He shot me because of you!

Kaito: Hey, you can tell a horse to drink water, but it’s his choice whether or not to shoot you with it.

Isaac: What?!

Kaito: I don’t know how the saying goes, never mind! I got a job for you. I’ll agree to call Bruce off if you agree to kidnap someone for me.

Isaac: He took Erika from me! Tell him to let her go first than I’ll do what you say!

Kaito: You raise your voice at me again and I will personally kill you myself, Isaac! DO NOT TEST ME!

Isaac: You really did kill Zane, didn’t you?

Kaito: Oh, you mean the professor. Yeah, I blew him up gangster style. But whatever! You kidnap this person for me, and things will go in your favor.

Isaac: … Who is it?

(Fifteen minutes have passed. Hanru and LJ both walk into LJ’s hotel room and see the place a mess.)

LJ: What happened here?! Janet! Holly! (Runs into the back room)

Hanru: (Thinking) Kaito couldn’t have done this, could he?

(LJ rushes into the living room and his cell phone rings. He quickly answers it.)

LJ: Who is this?!

Kaito: Surprise, surprise.

LJ: Kaito! What did you do with my family?!

Kaito: I sent my old grunt Isaac to kidnap your daughter; I have no idea where your wife is. Man he works fast.

LJ: KAITO! (Grunts)

Kaito: Now, now, I’m sure you’ve learned a valuable lesson here: Don’t mess with me! You think I didn’t know you were around the corner when I went to kill Hanru’s girlfriend? You were their getaway driver! Oh yeah, I know! You got yourself involved in this game, now you play by my rules. I assure you your daughter will die, but only because she has a connection with Hanru.

LJ: Hanru, wha-

Kaito: Don’t worry; I’m gonna kill Isaac as well. I’m also going to kill Bruce. I have a lot of people on my list I need to cross off; your daughter is one of them.

LJ: I promise to kill you with my bare hands, Kaito!

Kaito: You just gave me an idea on how I should kill your daughter. Well, that’s it for you, LJ. It’s time for you to die.

Hanru: (Looks out the window) LJ, he’s outside!

(Kaito and Koroshi let loose with assault rifles in the motel room. LJ and Hanru quickly duck and crawl back toward the bathroom. The two of them stuff each other in the bathtub. Kaito throws a black box into the room and it beeps for 3 seconds before exploding. All of the people from the other rooms quickly rush out of their rooms. Kaito aims his assault rifle at the innocent people and begins shooting them all one at a time while they all run and scream. Kaito just releases his anger by shooting every single person in sight. He runs out of ammo. Hanru kicks the roof open and aims LJ’s pistol at him. Hanru is angry.)

Hanru: KAITO!

Kaito: Ah, you’re back in Miami already! I thought I left you in Vegas.

Hanru: Leave these people alone! You are evil and I will shoot you if I have to!

Kaito: Than do it, tough guy.

(Sirens begin to echo nearby.)

Kaito: The cops! You can go ahead and shoot me; the police will only show up and handle me themselves. By doing that, you won’t have a chance to get back at me. The grudge you have against me is personal. Now anyone can tell you that making things personal only makes things worse and clouds your judgment. Of course you know this to be true, but the feelings you have toward me make you just not care. You want to end me personally, kid, and I applaud you for wanting to take on such a courageous task on your own.

Hanru: We will see each other again, Kaito. We will meet again, and I will be the one to finish you off!

Kaito: I’m looking forward to it!

(Kaito and Hanru both run their separate ways to avoid being seen by the police.)

(Hanru’s house)

(Koroshi and Kaito are in a majorly damaged police car. They park the car into Hanru’s driveway next to Ada’s red Honda.)

Koroshi: I see some followers remain loyal to you.

Kaito: Of course. (Checks clip and examines pistol) How else do you think I was able to find this place?

Koroshi: This is his stepmother’s car, yes?

Kaito: She’s actually Hanru’s aunt.

Koroshi: Are you sure going after family is a good idea? Think about your sister. Think about what would happen, if Hanru or someone else came after her and killed her, just to get back at you? This is between you and him.

Kaito: … (Sighs and pats Koroshi’s shoulder) You’re a good man, Koroshi. Wait here in the car, okay?

(Kaito gets out of the car, closes the door, and knocks on the front door of the house. Ada is sitting on the couch staring at the box she found in the closet of her last crime scene. After she hears the door, she hides the box under a cushion on the couch and heads to the door. She opens it wide without seeing who it was first.)

Ada: Hello?

Kaito: Are you Ada: Hanru’s aunt?

Ada: Who’s asking?

Kaito: Sally says hello.

(Kaito points his gun at Ada. Ada quickly slams the door shut before Kaito lets off a shot by her face. Ada quickly runs to get her gun off the coffee table, but Kaito bashes the door open. Ada then quickly runs toward the stairs. Kaito shoots at her twice. Ada gets to the top of the stairs and instantly runs into Lawrence’s old empty bedroom. She quickly runs into the closet and closes it. She feels Hanru’s sword next to her. She grabs the handle with her blooded hand. Kaito comes out of nowhere and opens up the closet. Kaito is about to shoot Ada; Ada quickly tries to stab Kaito in the stomach. Kaito drops the gun to grab the sword with both hands. Ada uses all her strength to push the sword. The blade is so sharp; it slices Kaito’s palms while he tries to hold on to it. Kaito steers the sword down and to the right; making Ada stab him in his side. Ada tackles Kaito into the wall.)

Ada: (Angry) Who sent you here?!

Kaito: I’m here because of your nephew Hanru! He should’ve killed me when he had the chance! Now I’m going to kill everyone he loves.

(Ada is kicked in the stomach by Kaito. Ada falls back across the room and quickly charges out of the door. Kaito pulls the sword out of his side and walks to get his gun of the floor. Ada quickly opens the front door and is pistol whipped unconscious by Koroshi. Kaito casually walks down the stairs.)

Koroshi: I’ve got a first aid for you in the car.

Kaito: Thanks, Koroshi. (Stands over Ada for a few seconds and talks to Koroshi)

Kaito: You must feel conflicted, Koroshi. The boy who saved your life from me is having his aunt kidnapped by you because you’ve decided to betray him and follow me again. It’s very confusing actually.

Koroshi: Helping the man that once killed me and betraying the boy which saved me from the man. It sounds poetic.

(Twenty minutes have passed. Hanru and LJ are walking through Hanru’s front lawn. They get to the front door and LJ sits down on the top step.)

Hanru: You’re not coming in?

LJ: I almost died today because of you. Kaito told me over the phone that he kidnapped my daughter because she once had a connection to you. I’m beginning to think that being around you causes a bad influence on those around you. Getting involved with you just isn’t a good idea anymore. If Janet and Holly are still alive, I am taking them and we’re moving away. I can’t have you dragging me into your mess anymore.

Hanru: I’m sorry, LJ. How do you think I feel? 3 years ago, Camilla told me to make sure I took care of her granddaughters, Holly and Tsuki. That was her dying request to me. When someone dies and trust you with something big like taking care of their family, and you fail to do so, that messes with your head! Every day I hide the disappointment of my failure to not be around to protect them! So how about you stop rubbing it in my face that I failed and help me redeem myself and fulfill that promise I made years ago?!

LJ: Sometimes, people die and tell you to do something that’s just not within your control or power. With everything they have, they trust you to complete whatever it is they told you in their last words.

Hanru: So what do I do? I can’t just forget this; it’s eating away at me inside.

LJ: You need to make peace with their soul. Find some way to talk to them from beyond and confess to them that you just cannot live up to the task they requested from you.

Hanru: And what if that doesn’t work?

LJ: Then maybe it is your destiny to continue on the road ahead and don’t give up until you’ve succeeded.

Hanru: When someone died and tells you to do something, that’s something really serious. Honestly I don’t think there’s any good advice to give about that.

LJ: Maybe not right now, but my advice is just to do what you feel is best in your heart.

Hanru: Thanks… Now let’s head inside.

(Hanru walks into his living room and notices the doorknob is loose. Hanru quickly goes upstairs into Lawrence’s old room and sees blood everywhere. Someone knocks on the opened front door. Hanru and LJ both walk downstairs to see who it is. It’s a kind Caucasian man with short blonde hair and glasses.)

Stan: Hi there. Is everything okay in here?

Hanru: Stan, what are you doing here?

Stan: Well I was out doing some “extracurricular activities” when I saw your aunt being dragged out of her home by two suspicious guys in suits. I wasn’t sure whether or not to call the police.

Hanru: Yes, Stan! When you see a woman being dragged and kidnapped by two men in broad daylight, you call the police!

Stan: Right! I shall remember that next time.

LJ: Kaito has something we both want now- he’s captured our women.

Hanru: Yeah well let’s capture his woman.

LJ: Who might that be?

Hanru: His sister Nicky who works at the hospital.

LJ: You wanna play dirty I see.

Hanru: If anything happens to Holly or Ada, his sister will be harmed. LJ, I trust you’ll do what you have to do if the time comes. (Looks LJ in the eyes)

LJ: My pistol is running cold; it’s itching to be heated.

(Hospital)

(Nicky is talking privately on her cell phone in the parking lot of the hospital.)

Nicky: Kaito I cannot believe what you have done to these people. I have had over 20 patients rushed into this hospital all at once because of you! What would mom think if she saw you like this, huh!

Kaito: It’s nothing personal against you or ma, Nick. This is who I am now. I kill whoever I please now until the people on my list are all gone.

Nicky: I can’t believe you… I can’t believe you, Kaito. You… I don’t consider you my brother anymore after what you did. There were innocent children at that motel.

Kaito: They were probably being molested anyway. I did those kids a favor by shooting them.

(LJ walks up to Nicky and points a gun in her face.)

Nicky: Kaito… hold on…

(Hanru walks up to them and slowly reaches for Nicky’s cell phone. Nicky willingly gives it to him.)

Hanru: You’re sister has such a pretty face. It would be a shame if something tragic was to happen to it, like it having a hole in it from a bullet.

Kaito: You’re diving in dangerous water, kid.

Hanru: I’m a shark, Kaito; dangerous is what I am. You’re just a little guppy in the ocean of my world now. I own you.

LJ: (Whispers) Kid, don’t bluff your way into more trouble; don’t forget he has at least 2 people who are close to us.

Kaito: Your aunt is sitting next to me in a chair with multiple stab wounds. I was actually already in the process of killing her. For a woman, she’s actually holding up rather well.

Hanru: You return my aunt and Holly to me alive and safe, or you will find your sister dead and with severe injuries. Because you cut my aunt, I will cut your sister now; that is inevitable.

Kaito: So you want me to trade two people for one? I don’t think so, man. You need to give me a second person if you want your Holly back. I’ll trade you for her.

Hanru: My, Kaito. You can’t even accept the fact that you are not in control anymore.

Kaito: I HAVE ALL CONTROL! I can kill your aunt right now if I choose to do so.

Hanru: LJ…

(LJ shoots Nicky in the leg and she falls to the ground screaming.)

Kaito: N-Nicky?!

Hanru: She’ll live, Kaito, but do not underestimate my power to order someone else’s execution.

Kaito: Fine! Isaac still hasn’t returned with Holly yet. When I hear from him, I’ll let you know where we meet at! (Hangs up)

Hanru: I’m really sorry Nicky.

Nicky: It’s okay; it’s only a flesh wound.

Hanru: You know this isn’t personal, right?

Nicky: Yeah… I know… If I were in your shoes, I would be doing the same thing. Just please don’t shoot me again.

(Kaito make a call to Isaac. Isaac is at the boathouse with Clay and Holly tied up to a pole with a bandana in her mouth.)

Isaac: (Answers phone) Who is this?

Kaito: Me! Bring that girl Holly to me ASAP!

Isaac: I don’t think so, Kaito.

Kaito: DO NOT PLAY GAMES WITH ME, ISAAC! Bring her to me now!

Isaac: Holly is Bruce’s daughter. (Sniffs) I bet she doesn’t know her father faked his own death and is still alive. If I give Bruce a chance to see his daughter alive again, just so long as he returns Erika to me safely. Then I’ll use the element of surprise to take him out.

Kaito: So in the end, you betray me too, huh?

Isaac: I guess you can’t trust anyone these days, huh, Kaito.

Kaito: You just made it on my list! (Hangs up phone)

(Isaac calls Bruce. Bruce is in the middle of the ocean with Erika.)

Bruce: (Answers phone) Isaac?

Isaac: Just to make sure I got the right girl, your daughter is named Holly right? She’s blonde with silky smooth white skin and eyes that just make you wanna get lost in them forever.

Bruce: The only things that are gonna be lost is Erika’s body at sea, and my foot up your backside if any harm comes to my daughter.

Isaac: I’m willing to put this whole thing behind us, Bruce. All we need to do is work together to kill Kaito then we go our separate ways and never speak to each other ever for as long as we live.

Bruce: You got some nerve; you know that?

Isaac: I know, Bruce… and I’m sorry it had to come to this.

(Kaito calls Hanru.)

Kaito: I was able to call one of my loyal followers. She tells me the location of Isaac’s phone. We’ll meet at a boat house, alright. We’ll make the swap there.

Hanru: This better not be a setup, Kaito.

Kaito: Hey, no promises.

Isaac: I’m sure by now Kaito’s tracked my phone to my location here at the boathouse. We’ll wait for him there.

Bruce: Call him and make sure he’ll be there.

Isaac: Fine, hold on.

Bruce: I need to make another call as well.

Kaito: I’m getting a call from Isaac right now. I’ll talk to him and confirm the location of the swap.

Hanru: Fine, Kaito. (Cell phone rings; he answers) Hello?

Bruce: Hanru, we need to talk. It’s about my daughter Holly.

Hanru: Aren’t you on Kaito’s side?

Bruce: Now you know I didn’t call to talk about him.

Isaac: We meet at the boat house in 30 minutes, Kaito. I’m already here, so don’t be late.

Kaito: Just to piss you off, I might just show up an hour late.

Bruce: You’re the only other man in her life she knows, Hanru. Please do your best to protect her after this chaos is over. Because I know that in the end, I’m going to really end up dead. I’m tired of this I’m tired of running. It’s time for me to move on, you know…?

Hanru: Is this your dying wish too? Do you want me to protect your daughter and keep her safe?

Bruce: Yes, Hanru. This is my dying wish to you.

Kaito: Isaac, let me click back over to Hanru and give him the message.

Isaac: We’ll talk later; we’re hanging up for now.

Kaito: Hanru, are you there?

Hanru: Yeah, I just got off my other phone.

Kaito: We have an officially meeting place. You better be strapped, cause I’ve been through a lot of these to know that someone is getting shot.

Hanru: Let’s hope it’s you, Kaito…

(29 minutes have passed. Everyone is at the boathouse; patiently waiting for the clock to hit 30. It is quiet. Hanru, LJ, and Nicky are west. Bruce and Erika are north; closest to the boat on the bridge. Kaito and Ada are East, and Isaac, Clay, and Holly are south. Holly, Ada, and Erika are blindfolded and have ropes tied behind their backs. Nicky has a white bandage on her leg where she was shot at. The clock finally hits 30. Kaito holds Ada by her collar and escorts her towards Hanru. Hanru escorts Nicky. They both get to the center and tradeoff. They walk back to their original positions. Kaito takes the blindfold off Nicky then gives her a big hug. Hanru removes the ropes then the blindfold. Ada turns and looks at Hanru once she is free. Her face is bruised and beaten a bit.)

Ada: What have you gotten yourself involved in?

Hanru: You’re welcome.

(LJ stands next to Bruce. Erika and Holly are traded off. Their blindfolds and ropes are removed. Isaac and Erika hug each other then quickly run away from everyone else. Clay stays put. Holly can’t believe her eyes when she sees her father Bruce again.)

Holly: Dad?

Bruce: I’m so sorry, sweetheart. I should’ve never left you.

Holly: Why did you make us think you were dead?

Bruce: I’m sorry. I did it to protect you and your sister. (Puts hand on her cheek)

Holly: I forgive you, dad. I forgive you for everything- for stealing me away from my birth parents, and for faking your death and lying to me. I forgive you, but… I think I need to be with my biological parents now.

Bruce: (Hugs Holly) I understand, baby.

Kaito: Hey, Bruce.

(Everything moves in slow motion. Bruce looks up at Kaito. Kaito points his pistol at him and shoots him in the neck. Holly screams. Bruce falls to the ground and holds his gushing neck. Nicky quickly runs away. LJ grabs Ada and quickly pushes her away to run. Hanru pulls out the pistol LJ gave him. Holly cries on top of her father and yells for him not to die. Time moves normal once again.)

Bruce: (Dying) I-I’m sorry… I love you…

(Bruce’s head drops and his eyes close. Holly continues to hold her father Bruce and cry on him.)

Kaito: Oh well. I was actually aiming for his face. (Chuckles)

Hanru: (Aims pistol at Kaito and begins to shake with anger and intensity) How could you do that? She’s just an innocent little girl. She doesn’t deserve to watch the man who raised her die like this!

Kaito: Don’t worry; her misery will end soon.

(Hanru aims his pistol Kaito and shoots in the chest four times. Kaito falls. LJ quickly runs and grabs Holly.)

LJ: We need to go, Holly.

Holly: (Crying) No, my dad is dead! How could he do this?!

LJ: Holly, let go of him! I know what it’s like okay; I know how you’re feeling.

Holly: If it wasn’t for me he would still be alive.

LJ: (Looks Holly in the eyes) Holly, look at me. When I was around your age, I was responsible for both of my parents being killed in a car accident. I know how it feels to be responsible for your parent’s death. Right now, we need to get out of here!

Holly: (Nods) Okay… yeah okay.

(Ada stands beside Hanru.)

Ada: Thank you for saving me.

Hanru: Ada, Kaito is smart. He’s wearing body armor underneath his clothes. I know you don’t understand, but I need to do this. I need to be the one to end his massacre right here and now.

Ada: I care about you too much to let you go down this road.

Hanru: I’ve walked down this path of darkness my entire life.

(Hanru and Ada stare at one another.)

Hanru: You need to leave now.

Ada: Hanru…

(LJ quickly runs up to Ada and pistol whips her unconscious.)

LJ: You handle your business, kid.

Hanru: Thanks, LJ.

(Once everyone leaves, Kaito stands up and brushes himself off.)

Kaito: So you saw through my bluff?

Hanru: If I really shot you four times in the chest, with your last dying breath, you would’ve shot back at me until I was dead or you were out of bullets.

Kaito: So this where our journey ends huh. (Takes a deep breath) I’m not done killing the people on my list. Until I’m finished with that, I can’t die.

Hanru: We’ll see, Kaito.

(Kaito and Hanru are both shot in the neck by two darts. The two of them instantly pass out. They wake up in a dark room. The only light which can be seen is on the ceiling beaming down on Kaito. Kaito’s are spread and chained up against the concrete wall. He sits down on a layer of dirt. Hants taps out of the shadows and looks down at Kaito. Kaito looks up at Hanru and smiles.)

Kaito: It seems we’re both rats trapped in a maze.

Hanru: Where are we, Kaito?

Kaito: This was once a torture chamber Shido and I used to dispose of people. We would shackle them to the wall and leave them here to starve and rot in the darkness. It seems Shido is in control of this now.

Hanru: Shido?

Kaito: (Sniffs) Hanru, I’m sorry. I really am. I didn’t mean to get so out of control. Now please, let me go.

(Hanru still has his gun on him. He slowly walks up to Kaito and shoots him in the shoulder. Kaito takes the pain.)

Hanru: You need to understand that you are not in control, Kaito.

Kaito: So you shot me just to prove a point?!

Hanru: I shot you because I want to help you. Before you die, I want you to understand and know that the darkness inside does not completely control you. You can still be saved.

Kaito: Oh really?

Hanru: I will say a prayer for you before you die.

Kaito: So you’re still going to do it then? You’re still going to kill me?

Hanru: I can’t answer that right now.

Hanru Narrating: Kaito’s demon of control is strong. It completely shattered Kaito’s life. If I kill Kaito, his demon will jump into me and my world to will be shattered and consumed by darkness. I can’t be the one to kill Kaito. A little voice whispers to me to help save Kaito. Natasha was my darkness; she is gone, this other voice, must be my light- my guardian angel. Saving Kaito from his darkness is what I must do. His fate is sealed; he will die soon, I’m just going to help him find his way out of the darkness before he does.

TO BE CONTINUED…