Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Four Chapter Thirty-One: Origins (Winter 2014)

Hanru Narrating: I’ve been through a lot these past few years. It all started back when I was about 14. I was feeling low and I had no excitement in my life. Now when I say excitement, I don’t mean I needed to live my life as some daredevil or I needed to go out and get wasted at some high school party I was never even directly invited to in the first place; no. I mean, I had no real reason to live- or at least that’s how I felt at the time. I helped this bully named Casey Harris solve the case of who murdered his uncle Ross. I ended up getting involved with a secret organization of serial killers which consists of 5 main individuals. Jason is their leader and he’s been missing for quite awhile. Sarah has moved and turned her life around for the better. Natasha is on my side but she seems to have disappeared as well. Allen is most likely with Jason, since he is his right hand, and Oliver Rayne was been killed. He was shot right in front of me by an assassin sent by a mobster who once demanded I join his crew because of my intellect. He and I are like best friends now; even though we both tried killing each other at one point, but hey, that’s what makes our bond so strong. I have years of tales to tell, but I would rather focus on this next one- the main “fourth story” of my life. These are to be like my final tales.

“Volume Four: Origins”

(Hanru walks outside into the freezing night air. A small two-story house sits behind him. He shivers and shakes as he watches the smoke from his mouth slowly rise up and disappear into the distance. A tall beautiful woman with short black hair stands next to him. Hanru seems pretty melancholy at the moment.)

Ada: It’s pretty chilly out here; you don’t want a coat?

Hanru: (Stares up at the stars) I’ll come inside in a little while.

Ada: Is your depression acting up again? You know if anything is on your mind, you can talk to me about it. I don’t like when you’re troubled.

Hanru: (Takes a deep breath) I have a lot on my mind, just not anything I’m willing to share with anyone just yet.

Ada: Don’t stay out here too late. This neighborhood is more dangerous during the night than it is in the day. (Walks back inside)

Hanru: (Says to self) Don’t I know it…

(The next morning, Hanru opens his refrigerator and pulls out a carton of milk. He sits down in his small kitchen and as he pours his milk, lumps are coming out. He stops for a second and smells the milk. A bitter look is slapped against his face. He sighs in disappointment. Hanru walks into Ada’s bedroom and sees her putting on her shoes while wearing a Denny’s uniform.)

Hanru: Our refrigerator went out again. The milk was warm and lumpy.

Ada: (Face-palms) Ugh… That was my fault. I had to unplug it last night cause it was making so much noise and I didn’t want to wake Bonny. I’m so sorry, Hanru. (Sighs) I just get so tired, you know? I work really hard and I only get a couple hours of sleep a night and it’s just… ugh…

Hanru: (Secretly feels guilty) … When will you be back today?

Ada: I’ll be back around midnight. Don’t get yourself into any trouble while I’m gone.

Hanru: Hey, when have you ever known me to get into trouble?

(Ada gives him a smirk and Hanru and chuckles at her.)

Ada: (Cracks a smile) I’ll see you tonight. (Walks up to Hanru and rubs his hair) Love you, kid. (Leaves the house)

(After a few minutes, Hanru walks into a room which is decorated with baby supplies. He walks over to the crib and sees a baby girl peacefully sleeping. Hanru looks at the baby with a blank stare for a few seconds before leaving the room.)

(Backyard)

(In the beautiful backyard of a two-story home are hundreds of dying leaves scattered around the yard and all over the pool covering. The glass sliding door of the home opens up and out comes a beautiful blonde woman wearing workout equipment. Behind her comes Lee. Lee closes the door behind him and begins hugging himself and rubbing his arms together in an attempt to keep himself warm. The Blonde doesn’t seem bothered by the cold weather at all.)

Blonde: What’s wrong; can’t handle a little nip?

Lee: I can handle your little nips; does that count?

(The Blonde pulls out a cigarette and puts it in her mouth. She searches for her lighter.)

Lee: Whoa. I thought smoking was off your radar for good?

Blonde: I think I deserve one cigarette a year at least. Besides, I can just detox later. (Attempts to light cigarette with lighter)

Lee: See, no. (Grabs cigarette and throws it on the ground) I don’t think you should be doing that. Now you vowed never to smoke another day in your life. You made a lifetime commitment and you need to live up to it.

Blonde: Says the boy who neglects taking care of the woman he impregnated and left in Miami? (Bends down and grabs cigarette)

(A moment of silence consumes the moment. Lee is speechless and smiles in acceptance.)

Lee: You got me there.

Blonde: Why don’t you call her and see how she’s doing?

Lee: Her brother is in the mafia and I don’t want my booty capped.

Blonde: (Teasing) Awe. You do have a cute booty. I could just squeeze it all night long.

Lee: Play bongo music with it for all I care; just no objects or fingers.

Blonde: What about tongue?

Lee: No!

Blonde: (Says in sexy voice) Feet…?

Lee: (Disgusted) Heck no! What is your problem?! Were you raised in a sex circus or something?!

Blonde: Is that a serious question? Cause if it is, the answer is yes- The sex circus of my mind. I’ve fantasized about all kinds of sexual scenarios. There was this one when I would dress up like a panda and put peanut butter-

Lee: Okay. I’ve heard enough. (Covers ears and sings) LALALALA. I’m going back in. (Walks back inside)

(The blonde woman chuckles for a few seconds and looks down at her cigarette in shame. She puts the cigarette back in the box and kisses it to the sky. She walks back into her beautiful home and closes the sliding door. She silently sits down on the couch next to Lee but Lee isn’t paying her any attention. He seems more focused on the television.)

Blonde: Wanna go upstairs?

Lee: I’m fine right here, thank you.

Blonde: You used to be a sex maniac; what happened to you?

Lee: I realized that I’m becoming a father.

(She begins playing with his soft white hair.)

Blonde: (Whispers) Yeah.

Lee: I shouldn’t have brought that up; I’m sorry.

Blonde: No, it’s perfectly fine. (Stops playing with his hair) You know, life just happens. Good things come to us if we look for it in the waves of misery. My ex and I always talked about having a baby before he died but I am infertile. There was nothing we could do about that. You know, my biggest regret, was stripping him of the right to pass down his genes. Because of me, he has no part of himself left in this world… and he never will. And that breaks my heart.

Lee: That’s what made you and I so compatible when we first met: We both buried our pain in sex. We were perfect for each other, baby.

Blonde: Even though I’m in my late 30’s and you’re only about 22. Good thing about having a young buck is you’re better at keeping up with my stamina in bed. Not many guys can handle me. I know sex is supposed to be about connecting with the other person, but my pain is too great to hold back when I’m trying to lose myself in ecstasy.

Lee: You know one of these days we’ll both have to find an alternative, Staci. (Both stare at each other a few seconds)

Staci: (Looks to the floor and holds hands together) Yeah… I know.

Lee: But until then, we can keep doing what we do.

Staci. (Cracks a smile) I’m gonna go take a shower. I smell like I just came out of the gym.

Lee: Well you pretty much did earlier.

Staci: (Chuckles) I worked out in the living room a few hours, but still, I shouldn’t be sweating this much. (Sighs) This must be a sign for getting old.

(For a quick second, Lee senses her mood dropping and he quickly reacts.)

Lee: Well you go upstairs in that bedroom, little missy, and I’ll make you feel like a rebellious teenage girl again waiting for a spanking.

Staci: (Flattered) Ooh, you dirty boy you. (Giggles)

(Lee growls like a dog and bites at her.)

Lee: You get on up those stairs, girl!

Staci: Yes, sir. (Quickly runs to the stairs)

(Lee smiles as he watches her run up the stairs. When she is out of sight, his smile goes away almost instantly and his face becomes consumed in a blind stare.)

(Apartment)

(The sky grows dark at around 5:00PM. Jessica walks through the courtyard of some apartment buildings and up some stairs while wearing a fast food uniform and holding a brown paper bag. She gets to a red door and uses her keys to let herself inside. She walks in to find two people in the living room having sex on the floor.)

Jessica: (Annoyed) Come on! Really; in the living room?!

Girl: (Laughs) You weren’t supposed to be here for another few hours.

Jessica: Well surprise! I’m here early. (Closes the door behind her and walks toward the kitchen)

Guy: Uh… Should I go?

Girl: No.

Jessica: YES!

Guy: Um… (Exhales in confusion)

Girl: (Struggles to move) Okay, this is feeling uncomfortable. Can you just… (Annoyed) Will you get out of me please?!

Guy: Oh sorry.

Girl: You see me struggling here! Okay, I’m going to go talk with her. You stay here and we’ll pick up where we left off- maybe. If I’m not receiving constant motion, I tighten back up after a few seconds and I don’t have the patience for… Well you already know. (Stands up and puts on her pink robe) Be right back. (Blows him a kiss and giggles)

(The girl walks into the kitchen and sees Jessica pulling a bottle of Root Beer out of the refrigerator. She cracks it open and takes a drink out of it. She then hands it to her roommate.)

Girl: (Takes the bottle and takes a sip) Thanks.

(Jessica closes her eyes and rests her hands on the counter.)

Girl: We gotta get you so laid. Yep, that is exactly what you need. (Takes another sip and passes it to Jessica)

Jessica: I don’t need to get laid. My libido isn’t always in need of relieving pressures like yours.

Girl: Look, it doesn’t take a sexpert to notice the sexual frustration you are going through. All the mood swings, the pent-up rage, and the aggression. Your body needs it again. Once is not enough.

Jessica: (Takes a drink) Once was painful enough. (Passes the bottle)

Girl: I know the first couple of times aren’t all that great, but you’ll get used to it.

Jessica: (Looks at her) You know what I am- sick of being alone all the time. If I am going to be with someone in that way, I want it to be with someone special who I know for sure won’t hurt me like my last boyfriend did.

Girl: Look, you can’t base your whole sexual outlook on one guy who treated you wrong. I mean look how long it took me to get over Trevor after he dumped me for that Cecile chick. (Takes three big gulps and passes it)

Jessica: I guess you’re right. Maybe it is time for me to move on to someone new. As much as I do need to feel a deep connection with someone, I don’t want to rush it, you know.

Girl: Hey, no worries, you won’t have to. There are plenty of guys out there who would be willing to wait.

Jessica: I’ve got my eyes set on one guy actually.

Girl: Don’t just go after one guy. Keep your options open.

Jessica: What, like your legs?

Girl: (Points at Jessica) Exactly! Keep your options open like my legs. Now let my hubby and I finish our session, and after we’re done, we will talk more about this, okay? Unless you don’t want us to finish and I can just send him home. I wouldn’t want to be a bad roommate.

Jessica: No it’s alright. You crazy kids go ahead and finish. Just make sure you don’t stain the carpet. (Finishes bottle and throws it in the trash as she walks away)

(The girl walks into the living room and turns the light on.)

Guy: Is everything okay?

(She walks up to her boyfriend and kisses him passionately for 8 seconds. She stops and looks him in the eyes as she smiles at him.)

Guy: (Nervous) Whoa… What was that?

Girl: I love you Keith.

Keith: I love you too, Henrietta.

Etta: You should go now. Jessica and I have some talking to do.

Keith: Yeah, I understand. Sorry if I stirred up some mixed emotions; I know how she can get.

Etta: Goodnight, Keith.

(Keith buttons up his shirt and is gently pushed out of the house by Etta. She locks the door behind him and leaves him outside wearing nothing but his shirt and underwear. His pants, socks, and shoes are in his hands. Two old ladies down the stairs giggle at him and make funny noises as they smile and admire his somewhat chubby figure. He smiles in embarrassment.)

(Denny’s)

(Hanru sits down at a table alone and Ada walks up to him as a waitress.)

Ada: Where’s the baby?

Hanru: Parents came by hung-over and picked her up. I tried telling them to leave the baby at our house until they sobered up, but not my kid; not my choice.

Ada: Wow. They must be the worse parents ever in this neighborhood, and that’s saying something.

(Both chuckle.)

Ada: What can I get you?

Hanru: How about something cheap but filling?

Ada: So like an omelet?

Hanru: Sure, why not?

Ada: (Smiles) Alright, coming right up.

(Mansion)

(A blonde young man in his early 30’s or late 20’s is staring down at a photo of an old man and himself as a child. He puts it down after his butler walks up beside him.)

Butler: Sir, your wife would like to have a word with you.

Man: Tell her I’ll be there in a minute.

Butler: She insists on seeing you now, sir.

Man: (Sighs in frustration) I’ll be right there! Tell her to hold her horses!

(About a minute later, the man enters his bedroom and sees his Asian wife in a white nightgown sitting on the bed.)

Wife: Hey, Michael.

Michael: What’s wrong, Scarlet?

Scarlet: I was just wondering when you were coming to bed? It’s hard for me to sleep without you next to me.

Michael: Just thinking about some things. I’ll come to bed soon.

Scarlet: Please don’t take too long, okay?

Michael: I won’t. Just give me about 10 minutes. (Leaves the room)

(Michael walks into his luxurious kitchen and the lights etched in his sealing turn on through motion detector. He reaches into his fridge and pulls out a bottle of water. His butler walks in seconds later. Michael rests his back on the counter and stares at the pictures of a young boy stuck to his fridge.)

Michael: (Takes a drink of water and stares at the butler) What’s the matter, you don’t know how to speak?

George: My apologies, sir. How are you holding up tonight?

Michael: Tch. I’m not. Any word from the police yet?

George: I’m afraid not, sir. The investigation seems to be at a standstill.

Michael: (Scoffs) You know, I bet you if one of their corrupt cops went missing, the entire city would be flooded with law enforcement. My son goes missing and no one even bats an eye. (Shakes his head in disappointment)

(George is hesitant, but he slowly walks up to Michael and taps him on the shoulder.)

George: There is no doubt in my mind he will be returned to you safely.

Michael: Thanks, George. I know I give you a hard time, but you’re a good guy.

George: Thank you, sir.

Michael: You got any kids of your own running around?

George: I cannot say I do.

Michael: It’s scary you know- having one, but they make life worth living. It’s just something about them.

George: Maybe I could provide you with further assistance, Sir Michael.

Michael: What assistance might that be?

George: I know a man who may be able to help out. He is a private detective living in Miami. He gave me his card quite some time ago, so I do not know if it is still active. But it is worth a try.

Michael: You’re really willing to do this for me?

George: Of course. My father and his father before his all served your family for generations. This practically makes us external family.

Michael: Thank you, George. (Hugs George) You’re the man, G.

(Miami)

(It is late and Erika is in her lab doing some paperwork. There is a knock on the door.)

Erika: Enter!

(Sergeant Adam Giovanni walks into the room.)

Adam: (Excited) Hey, hey, hey!

(Erika jumps for joy once she sees him. She quickly gets up and gives him a huge hug.)

Erika: Oh my goodness, Serge!

Adam: Please, I’m retired now; and from what I hear, so will you be.

Erika: Yes, forensics isn’t the thing for me. I’m actually working on my last case right now. I’ve been teaching the new BSA some things about the job. I think she’s getting it.

Adam: Well that’s good to hear. It’s good to know someone else in my life is moving forward toward better things.

Erika: Yeah, I’ve finally moved on from my past so no more depression, no more drugs, no more drinking, and no more irrelevant issues.

Adam: Well we all have problems, Erika. There’s no escaping that.

Erika: Well yeah that is true, so that’s why I’ve taken into consideration making up with my family.

Adam: you mean your birth parents?!

Erika: (Nods) Yep. My mother, father, sisters and brothers. I’ve even thought about visiting my son.

Adam: (Shocked) You have a son?!

Erika: That’s right, I do. I had him back when I was with Oliver. Oliver is the father.

Adam: Ouch, that’s rough. I’m sorry, doll.

Erika: It’s alright. It’s okay, you know, after he was born, I gave him up for adoption and I’m convinced I made the right choice.

Adam: Well good luck with your son. I am so happy for you. (Hugs Erika once more for 4 seconds)

Erika: (Chuckles) Why are you staring at me funny?

Adam: What, a man can’t be happy to see the girl who was like a daughter to him?

Erika: (Smiles) How is your daughter by the way?

Adam: She’s doing great. She just started high school and she’s bringing all her high school problems home to her mother and I.

Erika: Oh so you re-married?

Adam: The ex-wife and I patched it up again. We’re much happier now than we were previously and to prove it... (Pulls out a picture and hands it to Erika)

Erika: (Shocked) Oh wow! Serge, this is a sonogram! You’re having another baby?

Adam: A son. We’re naming him Adam JR.

Erika: Wow! Congratulations. You know, family is so important.

Adam: (Puts photo back in his pocket) Thinking about starting one on your own?

Erika: I need to patch things up with the family I already have before I do that (Laughs).

Adam: Well, you better get started then.

Erika: I will, as soon as I finish my last case.

Adam: Sorry I missed your going-away-party.

Erika: Oh we actually didn’t have one yet, but you know it’s okay. (Continues to fill out paperwork)

Adam: Well maybe they all know how much you hate parties.

Erika: (Focusing on work) I would agree.

Adam: It’s late. I’d like to visit a few more people before they head home.

Erika: Awe, you’re leaving? Give me hugs. (Opens her arms)

(Adam smiles and gives her a hug. Minutes later, he enters the Lieutenant’s office. He sits behind her desk.)

Adam: How do you feel about her leaving?

Lin: We all gotta move on sometime.

Adam: Then why are you in the same situation you were in 5 years ago? Everyone is moving on. I’ve retired and have my own restaurant. Most of the detectives working this department branched off. What are you doing?

Lin: What does it matter to you?

Adam: I’m just saying, maybe it’s time you think about settling down.

Lin: (Defensive) Crime never settles down. The chain of command never settles down. As long as justice is a priority in our society, I will always abide by its law. Now please excuse me, I’ve gotta check up on a case.

(Dark room)

(An extremely bright light hangs over the body of a crying woman. Her body is taped to an operating table and her mouth is duct taped closed. The light above her sways back and forth as it lets off a high pitch squeaking sound. The room is too dark to see. The figure of a man stands over the woman. He breathes heavily and stares at her. She tries to focus on his face, but the light in her eyes shines too bright. The man wears overalls and brown working gloves. He removes the tape from her mouth. Sandra fears for her life as her body trembles and her eyes begin to tear.)

Sandra: Please, don’t do this. Please don’t. I don’t want to die…

Butcher: Shhh… Sandra…

(He gently strokes her hair and he whispers to her in a calm tone.)

Butcher: You were always my favorite- such potential; such beauty. You could’ve amounted to so much more. You could’ve lived a better life.

(He stops stroking her hair and grips her jaw.)

Butcher; But you chose to instead stay on this path. I taught you to read, and to write, so that one day, you could better yourself. (Releases her Jaw)

Sandra: (Terrified) Claude…?

Butcher: Your brain went to waste. You used your body as a tool of sexual enlightenment. Your soul- your heart, is impure.

Sandra: (Crying) What do you want from me, Claude? I thought you wanted me to have this life?

Claude: I wanted you to learn to rise up and become something greater then what you already were. I hate to do this, but you must be purified. Your body will never be a tool again.

(Claude walks away and grabs a blow torch. He ignites it. Sandra begins to panic.)

Sandra: What are you doing?! Oh my, gosh NO! NO, please, Claude! Please don’t do that to me please, don’t! NO!

(A close up of Sandra’s face is seen. She screams at the top of her lungs in agony and pain.)

(Bus stop)

(Hanru is seen walking off of a bus and down the cold snow-flooded street. As he’s walking he sees a tweaking woman in her 40s or early 50’s with curly blonde walking toward him wearing torn jeans and a muscle shirt. She stops and looks up at him.)

Woman: Hey… Hey you want a blowjob? I’ll give you a blowjob for a hit.

Hanru: No thank you.

(Hanru continues to keep walking and the woman turns around and continues to hold herself as she walks away. Hanru stops for a second and takes a deep breath.)

Hanru: Hey! Hold on.

(Hanru walks up to the woman.)

Hanru: Where do you live?

Woman: Oh we don’t need to go anywhere to keep warm, baby, my mouth is plenty warm for you. (Licks her lips)

(Hanru checks his pockets to make sure nothing’s in them. He takes his coat off and wraps it around her arms.)

Hanru: You be safe. (Walks away)

(Hanru enters his home minutes later. Ada is sitting on the couch holding her hands against her face.)

Hanru: What happened?

Ada: (Peaks at Hanru) Hanru, I’ve been stressed for a while, and it didn’t take me till today to realize what I was truly upset about. Sure we babysit from time-to-time, but this house is empty. I want a child to call my own. I want a child I can say I raised. I want to be a mother. You are the closest thing to a son I’ve ever had, but I’d like to have my own child.

Hanru: Well… you could always adopt.

Ada: Really it’s my only option. I was lucky to get pregnant last year, but I miscarried.

Hanru: You’re off tomorrow so let’s look into adoption. It’s pretty late now.

Ada: That shouldn’t stop us from calling around tonight.

Hanru: Alright, let’s call.

(Ada’s face grows a big smile with hopes of the future.)

(The next morning in Miami)

(Michael is parked in the driveway of Hanru’s Miami home with his butler George in the passenger seat.)

Michael: (Looking around outside) It’s weird not seeing snow everywhere around this time. You sure this is the address?

George: Positive. This is where the private detective lives.

Michael: (Joking) Alright. I’m going in. You stay in the car and don’t run the battery down listening to that garbage you call music. (Laughs)

(Michael leaves the red Porsche. He walks onto the porch and knocks on the door. He turns around and puts his hands in his pocket as he looks around at the empty block. Out of nowhere he sees two women walking down the street in jogging gear. One is pushing a stroller. A woman opens the door and slightly startles Michael. He turns around quickly.)

Karen: Yes?

Michael: Hello, ma’am. I was looking for a Mister- (Her face grows with disappointment) Charlie Roads.

Karen: Charlie don’t live here no more. He packed his stuff and moved on out.

Michael: So you do know him?

Karen: He’s my husband. Well, soon to be ex. Why are you lookin’ for him?

Michael: I have a son who recently went missing. (Pulls out wallet and hands her a picture) I was referred to your husband by a friend. He says Charlie personally worked with him, so I thought I’d fly down here and give him a visit.

Karen: You flew down here? (Gives picture back) From where?

Michael: Someplace far away.

Karen: Well like I said, Charlie is no longer living here. I can give you his address if you’d like? Actually… I was on my way to his apartment now to drop off is son Bobby.

Michael: You would think having a child would keep couples together- especially married ones.

Karen: It was my fault our married failed. He tried his hardest to keep the peace and I just threw our relationship into more chaos.

Michael: I’m sure whatever it is you did, it’s no reason to break apart marriage. Marriage is a sacred thing.

Karen: Yeah well some people take it for granted. Give me a few minutes and you can follow me to his apartment.

Michael: I’ll be waiting in my car.

(Back at Hanru and Ada are in their kitchen researching information about adoption. There is a knock at the door. Hanru gets up and answers it.)

Hanru: Hey, Lee. Come on in.

Lee: Thanks brother. It’s freezing butt cheeks out there.

(Lee walks in and Hanru closes the door behind him.)

Lee: How ya doing, man? Still no luck on the job hunting?

Hanru: (Disappointed) Still no luck.

Lee: Don’t worry, man, you’ll get there, you just gotta keep looking.

Hanru: Ada and I are researching adoption laws. Do you know anything about adoption?

Lee: (Feels a bit awkward) Oh, uh… No I don’t actually. When did you and Ada decide to adopt?

Hanru: Last night. It sorta reminded me of your situation.

Lee: That’s actually what I came over to talk to you about. Uh, you got a minute? You don’t have a job; of course you got a minute.

Hanru: Yeah, sure, man. Just let me tell Ada you’re here and we can talk. Just wait for me in the living room.

Lee: Okay.

(Hanru and walk into the living room, Lee sits on a couch and Hanru continues on to the kitchen. He stands next to Ada.)

Hanru: Lee is here. He said he needed to talk to me. Do you still need me?

Ada: No, I’ve got things handled; thank you. (Smiles)

Hanru: Alright, we’ll be in the living room.

(Hanru sits down next to Lee.)

Hanru: So what’s up, man? What’s your family issue?

Lee: (Loudly exhales) I left Nicky and the baby back in Miami. Awhile after she got pregnant, I just felt like… I couldn’t do this, you know? And… I met this woman Staci and the two of us have been burying our feelings through sex. I’m not ashamed of what I did, but I feel so guilty about leaving Nicky alone while she was pregnant. That was such horrible thing to do. Ergh! (Covers face with palms)

Hanru: So do what you feel is necessary to make this situation right for everybody.

Lee: Which is what?

Hanru: Go back to Nicky and explain to her the situation.

Lee: I was really hoping you wouldn’t say that. Look, man, Nicky and I were supposed to get married after we found out she was pregnant.

Hanru: (Surprised) you mean she was your fiancée?

Lee: Yep. My pre-ball-and-chain, the warden to my manhood, my dictator!

Hanru: Alright, I got it. I know marriage is a big step and so is being a father. One of the big steps to both of those things, is sacrifice. You can’t just go around having unprotected sex and then not facing the aftermath.

Lee: I was protected, that’s what confuses me to this day. I don’t know; maybe the condom broke or something. Maybe my john was too much for the condom to handle. Well that’s what happens when you wear a 1 inch condom for a 2 inch penis. I’m totally kidding; I’m just trying to lighten the mood.

Hanru: I think you need to go back to Nicky and marry her before this child is born. I’m pretty sure that’s the reason why you wanted to get married in the first place, right?

Lee: She wants to get married before the baby is born and I wanted to get married because I was caught up in the moment after she told me she was having a baby. I see now how much of a mistake that was.

Hanru: It doesn’t have to be, as long as you try and make something positive out of the situation. You are getting a child and a beautiful wife who by the way isn’t only kind, but is rich and has connections to the mafia as well. But remember, those things are only bonuses. What’s important is that she cares enough to love and accept you for your age and your personality. That’s more than what most people get. Be grateful for this big change because that’s what life’s all about. It’s about change, evolution, growth. You’re life’s just beginning a new chapter and I know it’s scary, man, but you can’t be afraid of the opportunities life gives you, because you have the choice to turn life’s cruel lessons into blessings or a curse. A curse that forever haunts you with fear and shapes your very future, or a blessing which defines your inner strength. Go be with your fiancé and baby. And talk to Staci. Try and help her understand your thoughts and reason for making your decision.

Lee: Well… Wow… I suppose you’re right. Those words were just what I needed to hear. I do need to go back to Nicky before Kaito puts me to sleep with the fishies. Staci though, man, Ugh, I can’t break Staci’s heart. She’s been through enough. She isn’t short on reasons to feel heartbroken. How do I handle her?

Hanru: She’s your girl. You gotta be the adult and tell her the truth. Maybe help her move on or find her a date, but you can’t be afraid to confront her about this because there definitely will come a time when you will have to come clean. You’re too deep into this relationship with her.

Lee: Yeah, and sometimes too deep in her, if you know what I mean.

Hanru: Awkward humor is your defense mechanism to avoid the feelings you think you can’t handle. For once in your life face your emotions and deal with them; don’t avoid them. I knew a girl who did that and it tore us apart.

Lee: What girl? Are you talking about Debbie?

Hanru: I’m talking about someone I never even told you about. Even though you’re like my brother.

Lee: Are you talking about… her?

Hanru: If you’re afraid to say her name around me I obviously did tell you about her then. I must have forgotten.

Lee: Hey, man, you can’t blame yourself for that. You loved her with all your heart and I’m sure she left you. She didn’t know how to love or be loved obviously. Obviously she wanted everything to be perfect and go her way and that was probably the only reason why she even cared about you. When you asked her to return the same feelings to you, what happened?

Hanru: She accused me of being a negative emotional person and she left me.

Lee: She left you because you wanted to feel loved?

Hanru: I could always blame myself for every problem between us, but not this time. This time I saw the real her and all the problems she says I have, she suffers from, and whenever we’re both having the same issue and she finds a way to overcome it, she raises her nose in the air and thinks she’s so superior to me. She’s done some messed up things to me and many times she’s even justified those cruel actions.

Lee: (Pats Hanru on her back) Look at us being homies; chillin’ like bros! Glad you’re my friend, man. I would kiss you, but I don’t roll that way.

Hanru: Maybe you should. You might have better luck.

(Both laugh with enthusiasm and hug. Ada walks in the living room and rests her shoulder on the wall of the doorway while crossing her arms and displaying a huge smile. Lee and Hanru stop laughing but they’re still smiling.)

Lee: Man, it’s not gonna be easy letting Staci down. As much as I’ve been a heartbreaker to the ladies unfortunate enough to be a victim of my killer lovin,’ she remains resistant to the ease of the ice cold careless words spoken from my darkened heart. Come with me, my brethren, to the forbidden kingdom, where I lay waist to the clutches of this emotionally binding sexual relationship… Please, yo?

Hanru: (Chuckles) Yeah, man, I got your back. (Both hug)

(A gentle tear falls from Ada’s eye.)

(Jessica’s apartment)

(Jessica and Etta are both in the bathroom looking in the mirror and fixing their hair up side-by-side.)

Jessica: Alright, I’m off to work. I doubt I’ll be working a double shift today, but I’ll call and let you know for sure and if you don’t pick up, I know you’re having your fun time with Keith and take a detour coming home.

Etta: You are not leaving this house looking like that. (Scoffs)

Jessica: I’m a waitress at IHOP; my uniform is preset.

Etta: I’m talking about your hair. How long have you had that Kaley Cuoco haircut? It totally doesn’t work with you being a brunette. Plus, that style says “sassy and in control of my life.” You’re neither of those things.

Jessica: Hey, I’m in control of my life more than most people are. At least I have my own job and apartment. I was living here before you. And I think I have more of a Madison Paige Hairstyle than Kaley Cuoco.

Etta: A little bit of sassy, but not enough to be showing off that hairstyle. You’ve probably had that same style for years. If you wanna go after this guy you told me you like, I say it’s time to change it up a bit. Glam yourself up.

Jessica: No thank you, I don’t like to glam. I love my body the way it naturally is.

Etta: Ew…

Jessica: Well, I shave of course! Don’t give me that look! I’m sure there have been plenty of times you didn’t shave.

Etta: You would be totally wrong; armpits, and legs silky-smooth. Look tomorrow we both share an off day. We’ll get you down to the salon and pick out a new look. Maybe even hit up the mall for some makeup you would look cute in.

Jessica: Looks like Christmas is coming early for you; you’re getting a life-sized Barbie to play with.

Etta: (Claps happily) Yay, so you’ll do it?

Jessica: I’ll think about the hairstyle, but no makeup. I don’t do makeup. I only use a few haircare products and nail polish to alter my appearance.

(Etta gives Jessica a slightly disgusted look.)

Jessica: And I shave! Okay, I’m gonna be late for work, Etta. I’ll see you tonight maybe.

Etta: What if you only do one shift though? What are you gonna do?

Jessica: Then I’ll give you and Keith some time alone and I’ll go out and do something.

Etta: Ooh that’s a good idea. Go see that boy and show him your ugly flakey hair right now and then tomorrow or even the next day, you can show him your new gorgeous hairstyle.

Jessica: (Cracks a smile) I’ll see you later.

Etta: Alright, have a good day at work. Tootles! (Waves goodbye)

Jessica: (Chuckles) Bye.

(Miami)

(Michael gets out of his car with George in the parking lot of tall apartments. A car passes and the two of them walk across the street where Karen and her son Bobby are exiting their vehicle.)

Karen: Uh… (Sighs in frustration) Charlie and I haven’t been getting along very well recently so maybe it would be best if you waited down here while I take Bobby up. I wouldn’t want you getting involved in our domestic war.

Michael: Hey, if I’m there, I doubt he’d try and start an argument, and plus, I could be your scapegoat for when you need to hightail it outta there.

Karen: Yeah. I guess that would be better. (Talks to Bobby) Come on, baby, stay close to me.

(Bobby walks up to Karen and holds her hand. Karen cautiously peaks over her shoulder at both Michael and George. Minutes later, Charlie opens the door with a startled look on his face. Karen looks up and down at him only to see he’s wearing nothing but boxers and socks.)

Karen: You don’t put clothes on when you answer your door?

Charlie: I’m busy right now; what do you want?

Karen: It’s your day to spent time with your son.

Charlie: I thought that was in two more days?

Karen: (Annoyed) No, in two more days you’re supposed to bring him back home to me! Charlie, donot play this game right now.

Charlie: Alright, alright, I’ll… (Sighs) Hold on a minute. (Quickly closes the door)

Karen: Unbelievable, this guy! (Ranting) This is why I can’t stand him; he’s such an immature butt most of the time when I come see him! You know what, I’m glad we separating because if I were dealing with him the entire time we were separated, I would’ve gone to jail for murder by now! He’s such a-

Michael: Ok- okay. (Places arms on her shoulder and makes eye-contact) Calm down. Take deep breaths. Your son is right here next to you; he can hear everything you’re saying. Obviously the two of you have some unresolved issues that need to be fixed. Anger isn’t going to solve a thing.

Karen: Tell him to stop doing these petty things that piss me off.

(Charlie opens the door wearing blue jeans and a muscle shirt.)

Charlie: Please come in.

Karen: No thank you. I’m not staying long. I’m just dropping little Bobby off. But these two gentlemen have some very important business to discuss with you. I’ll let you men have your time.

(A woman comes running out of a closet and into the opening of Charlie’s living room screaming. She knocks a bunch of stuff out of the closet and onto the floor. The room grows silent and awkward.)

Tammy: (Nervous) Hi. (Nervously chuckles) Ooh…

Charlie: You must suck at playing hide-and-seek.

Tammy: Sorry, there was spider in the closet! I hate spiders.

Karen: Like I said, I’ll let you men have our time. (Walks away)

Charlie: Wait, Karen! (Sighs)

(Charlie runs up to Michael and George.)

Charlie: Excuse me! (Leaves his apartment)

(Charlie meets Karen at the elevator.)

Charlie: Wait, Karen. Just give me a moment to explain the situation.

Karen: (Upset) You had a hooker in your apartment; what is there to explain?

Charlie: Why she was there in the first place!

Karen: Look, I don’t care why she is there. You and I aren’t together anymore and you can do whatever you want with your little soldier now!

Charlie: I told her to hide to avoid starting a fight with you, butshe is a client.

Karen: No she is not, Charlie. If anything, you’re her client! Why were you talking to a client half-naked, Charlie?! Huh?! Why!

Charlie: The fact that you’re upset about me having another woman in my apartment only proves you still care about me.

Karen: Of course I still care about you! I married you! We have a kid together! My feelings for you aren’t gonna just vanish in thin air.

(The tension slightly diminishes.)

Charlie: Look. I know we’ve been fighting a lot the past few months, but don’t forget how all of this got started. You cheated-

Karen: (Talking over Charlie) No, no, no.

Charlie: On me.

Karen: Do not try and blame this all on me! You were the one who-

(Charlie aggressively but gently, pins Karen up against the elevator door.)

Charlie: (Extremely angry) I did my best to take care of you and our son! I was faithful and I was loyal! I did everything for you and all you can say in return is my love was boring?! That our relationship was boring?! (Calms down a bit) And because you were bored of my sacrifice our family, you went out and you cheated! Not to mention, Bobby isn’t even my biological son. He’s the guy’s who you cheated on me with. After you felt guilty, you left him and since then, he’s been going to Tammy’s apartment everyday wanting sex from her! He goes to her with all his problems and he told her I was a private detective, so she found my apartment and she’s been staying here with me the past 2 days.

Karen: Why didn’t you just get rid of her? She is a hooker! You don’t do nice things to hookers because they always make other things happen!

Charlie: I haven’t had much company since I moved out and she had nowhere else to go. She tried getting out of the street life, but her pimp won’t let her go without hurting her. Forgive me for trying to be a good person. (Nods) You know… I forgive you for everything, because I still love you and life is too short. Now the two of us have nothing to work out until you forgive yourself for cheating and learning what it means to be faithful. You need to take Bobby back home now because I don’t want him exposed to what’s going on in my household right now.

Karen: … Fine… Alright, fine, whatever. Let me go get him and I’ll be on my way.

Charlie: (Backs away) Let me spend a few minutes with the little guy before you take him.

(Charlie walks back into his apartment and approaches Michael and George.)

Charlie: I almost forgot you two were here. Uh… Who are you? Hey, wait, I recognize you. You’re George, right?

George: I am.

Charlie: I’m guessing you’re here to hire me for a job, is that correct?

Michael: Actually I am, sir. A few days ago my son went missing and the police have no leads. Of course the people I suspect have him aren’t being investigated because I have no proof for them being connected. You would think police would investigate my suspicions.

Charlie: I have a lot on my plate right now, but I know someone else who can help you. If you give him a call, he’ll just shut you down, so I recommend going directly to him. Now he was my former partner and unfortunately he doesn’t live in this state. From what I remember, George here lives far away from Miami so I’m betting state travel isn’t too big a deal for you guys.

Michael: Not at all, but fuel still costs money.

Charlie: His name is Kenneth Powell. He would be better for you because he has more time on his hands and he is in need of something to occupy his time. Also, he’s not legally law enforcement anymore so he’s not afraid to take on the dirty jobs.

Michael: Alright perfect. So, hey, I know it is none of my business but I just have to ask.

Charlie: No you can’t sleep with Tammy.

Michael: I’m a married man actually.

Charlie: Really?! What are you, like 18?

Michael: In my late 20’s and yes I know I look rather young for my age. Anyway I was gonna ask if you and your wife were gonna be okay.

Charlie: That is a personal question, and I only say that because I do not have a definitive answer. Sorry, man.

Michael: No problem. What other information can you give me on Kenneth?

(Neighborhood)

(Hanru and Lee both walking down the street.)

Lee: Why haven’t you gotten a job yet, man?

Hanru: I’ve been looking, but no one’s hiring.

Lee: You’re already 20 years old and you still haven’t gotten your first job. Not to mention you dropped outta school early like 4 years ago because of how bad you were failing. That’s not a good look, man.

Hanru: I know it’s not, and I feel guilty about it almost every day. I feel like a pitiful human being.

Lee: Well maybe you just gotta apply yourself more.

(Both stop walking.)

Hanru: (Subliminally annoyed) Is this the house?

Lee: It is. Come on.

Hanru: Actually, you know, I think I’ll sit this one out.

Lee: What? I thought you agreed to come in with me; what’s the problem?

Hanru: This is something you need to deal with; not me.

(Staci walks out of her house wearing a pink robe with star designs on it. She smiles at the sight of Lee.)

Staci: Baby! You’re here! I was just going to check the mail. Wanna meet me inside?

Lee: Actually, Staci… There is something I need to talk to you about.

Staci: Oh boy, I can tell it’s something serious. And you brought your friend I see.

Hanru: I’m Hanru, hi.

Staci: Hello.

Lee: It’s really freezing out here so let’s go inside.

Staci: Yeah, I’ll meet you inside. Go on ahead while I check the box.

(Lee and Hanru walk into Staci’s living room. Lee is nervously pacing.)

Lee: Okay, man, so hold her down so she won’t be able to stab me after I tell her I’m leaving, then I’ll run out the back and-

Hanru: Let me stop you right there, Lee.

(Staci walks back in and closes the door behind her.)

Staci: Phew! It’s cold! It’s never been this bad in all my years living here.

Lee: You came back rather quickly.

Staci: Yeah I grabbed the wrong key. Silly me.

Staci: By the way, it’s nice to meet you; I’m Staci. (Walks up to Hanru and shakes his hand)

Hanru: Hanru.

Staci: Oh, Hanru! That’s right! Lee has told me so much about you! It’s good to finally meet you! You’re even cuter in person.

(Both start laughing.)

Lee: Staci, I’m moving back with my family in Miami to get married.

(The room grows silent. Staci’s breath is taken from her as she’s caught off guard. She has a hard time processing words for a few seconds.)

Staci: Oh-kay… You deserve to be happy. Congratulations.

Lee: You’re taking this well.

Staci: Yeah well we both knew it would come to this eventually. I was about to start dinner. Do the two of you wanna eat before you go?

Lee: No thank you. You might poison us.

Staci: Hey, Lee. Seriously it’s okay. I understand. Now I’m gonna go get started. You two boys enjoy the T.V. while I’m gone. (Smiles and walks away)

Lee: (Excited) Well that wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. Huh… I feel free and cleansed. I feel like superman! My heart is racing, but in a good way.

Hanru: Yeah, that’s what scares me about you. You talked about how much you loved her and how difficult it was going to be for you to break things off and then you just come right out and say it and don’t feel bad or concerned at all for her wellbeing.

Lee: (Shrugs) The courage just came to me.

Hanru: Are you really gonna stay here and eat dinner with her after what happened?

Lee: Sure, man! Free food; why not? Hey, I’m going up to raid her stash. But shhh. Tell her I went to the bathroom or something. (Quickly tiptoes up the stairs)

(Hanru walks into the kitchen and sees the backdoor cracked open with Staci nowhere to be found inside. Hanru walks out the back and sees Staci leaned up against her wall; staring at her pool cover and wearing no coat.)

Hanru: You alright?

Staci: I’m fine. The cold just relaxes me; that’s all. It calms the nerves and prevents them from getting jumpy.

(Hanru looks closely at her body language and sees her holder herself and rubbing her arms directly.)

Hanru: You should come back inside. Weren’t you gonna make dinner? You know I would love to learn some cooking recipes. I used to want to be a chef. That was one of my dreams before my allergies got too bad and I was unable to season the food without violently sneezing. Who wants snot in their food, right? (Chuckles)

Staci: (Gives Hanru a blank stare) I change my mind about cooking. Maybe you and Lee should go.

Hanru: How do I know you won’t do something stupid that’ll make me sad?

Staci: Why do you care what I do? We barely just met.

Hanru: I know. But that doesn’t stop me from caring.

(Staci sighs and ignores Hanru. She begins to grow angry.)

Hanru: I know you’re hurting right now and you feel like you don’t have anybody. But you have me. I’m here for you. There’s not much I can do for you but I can always do my best to help you with whatever it is you need help with.

Staci: And who are you? I understand you’re just trying to be a good person. I don’t know if you feel guilty or if you’re trying to swoop in and save the damsel in distress or if you’re just trying to score some good points. But nothing you do will fill this hole inside of me. Lee was the right person. He understood how I felt and the two of us were like one whenever we were intimate together. We felt each other’s pains, our pleasure, fears, desires, and we were able to get lost in one another. There is nothing you can do for me.

Hanru: I live in this same neighborhood. Anytime you need company, I’m here for you. Just give me a call.

Staci: Is that all you have to offer?

Hanru: Well…

Staci: Just TALK?! Sometimes talking just isn’t enough, kid. Talking isn’t going to cure me of my constant depression! How about thinking of more creative ways of helping people other than talking?!

Hanru: Well, all I can do is… (Sighs and scratches hair in frustration) All I can do is try and help you find the strength within yourself to move forward from this. That’s all I can do.

Staci: So you can’t do anything for me then, because I’ve already tried that; it doesn’t work!

Hanru: Well then let’s go to dating sites and-

Staci: IT DOESN’T WORK! I HAVE TRIED EVERTHING AND I AM STILL MISERABLE!

Hanru: Well maybe you need to try harder then! Adopt a kid; that’s what my step-aunt is doing after losing her baby and my uncle! She is filled with so much pain, but she never sulks in her misery. She gets off her butt and does what she has to, to be happy, and if she can’t be happy, she learns to live with her pain. That’s what we all do! So adopt a baby or date a single father. I don’t know, just do something! Find an alternative other than Lee- maybe an alternative your age.

Staci: Get out.

Hanru: I’m only trying-

Staci: I SAID GET OUT NOW!

(Hanru just leaves without saying anything. He goes into the kitchen and sees Lee standing there. He walks pass him and leaves the house. Hanru is walking down the street.)

Hanru: (Thinking) I yelled at her and I probably shouldn’t have done that. I know I made the wrong choice. Should I go back and fix it?

[“If It Wasn’t for You” by Various Casualties]

(A light turns on in a dark shed. A man, whose face isn’t shown, is above normal weight, and wearing blue overalls puts a chainsaw on his wooden workshop. He grabs various tools and begins to working on it. He sprays cleaner o the bloody blade and cleans it off. He refills the oil. The man walks away and looks on an operating table behind him at the various bloodied trash bags on it. The man’s face is seen and he appears to be an elderly man in his 50’s. He cracks a smile. His face is no longer seen. He turns his light out and leaves the shed. He closes and locks it up. Snow is violently falling around his property. He walks through his buried yard and into the warm contents of his cozy two-story house. He grabs his Christmas snowman cup and warms up some hot chocolate. He takes his cup out of the microwave and sits down on the couch of his beautifully Christmas-decorated home. He looks up at the calendar on his wall and sees it’s still early November. He takes a sip of his hot chocolate and grabs a Home Décor magazine. He flips through the pages and stops in the middle of the magazine. A folded piece of notebook paper is neatly tucked inside. He opens it and looks at a list of about 21 female names. He crosses off the name Sandra. The man goes down into his basement and there are about 12 black trash bags displayed on the floor. Each trash bag has a picture of a woman smiling on it. He leaves his basement and sits back down on his chair. He looks at the uncrossed names on the list and noticeable names are Janet Abernathy and Aria Lainey. Next to Janet’s name is Meukie and next to Aria’s name is Sarah.

[“Stars” by Exitmusic]

Hanru stands in the cold for a few seconds before making the decision to walk away. Lee remains in Staci’s home. Michael and George make it to someone else’s home. A young 8 year old blonde boy is seen walking alone on a trail next to a frozen river. The side of his head is bleeding and he holds himself as he cries is agony. He looks behind him and looks back at an old SUV crashed into a tree and the driver unconscious with their face buried in the airbag. The boy turns around and continues to walk away alone beside a dead forest.

TO BE CONTINUED…

[“Stars” by Exitmusic]
♠ ♠ ♠
1. In the first conversation between Jessica and her roommate, her roommate states that it took her a long time to get over Trevor who dumped her for a girl named Cecile. In the first volume of Hanru Sazuki; chapter 2, Trevor was the crazy boyfriend of Cecile who murdered his best friend Joey at the basketball court out of rage and jealousy.
2. The scene written between Sandra and Claude was actually written a long time ago long before the second volume was started. The scene was very twisted and a bit darker, so the dialogue was shortened and slightly changed and the details of the gore were removed as well.
3. During the scene when Hanru meets the hooker at the bus stop, the dialogue of the hooker was slightly mimicked from a scene from one of the later season 3 episodes of the U.S. T.V. series Shameless. Original dialogue was- “I’ll give you a blowjob for $10. I give really good blowjobs.”
4. When Karen asked Michael where he flew in from, Michael says he flew in from someplace far away. At the time when this was written, Michael was not yet given an official state to live in.
5. Staci Thurson was a character I made from The Sims 3. She was an Athletic based character.