Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Four Chapter Thirty-Seven: Afraid to Cross the Line (Winter 2014)

Leo: Sit down.

(Hanru nervously stands next to the kitchen table staring at everyone as they patiently wait for him to sit down. Leo, Ada, Lawrence, and Yoko all sit around the table. Leo presents an open seat to Hanru. Hanru quickly sits in the chair, waiting to know what this family meeting is all about.)

Hanru: (Thinking) Is this an intervention?

Leo: Nephew, we understand the world is a scary place and the thought of being alone out there is unsettling. But we’re your family and we’re always gonna be here to support you when you need us. Now I didn’t call this family meeting just to talk about you, so don’t think we’re ganging up on you. It’s nearly Christmas and I’d rather we all remain on good terms. Mainly because I’m hoping to get lots of presents from you all. (Chuckles for a few seconds and then gets serious) Anyway, I really want to help you out and be here for you and support you, but you’ve gotta help support the household. We’re all doing our part. I had a job waiting for me here before I came to this state. I’m in construction. Ada is a waitress, your brother is… doing his own thing but he still contributes. Yoko went to the mall and her first time there, she got a job, and she didn’t even try. She was offered the job when she walked into the shoe store.

Hanru: What?!

Yoko: (Nervous) When you went with me to the mall and we went into the shoe store, I was offered a job. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I know how hard you’ve been trying to find one, and I didn’t want you feeling like a failure.

Leo: It’s not your fault, but maybe you need to try harder. Look in the right place, or do something. Obviously your current methods aren’t working, so try a new approach.

Hanru: Yeah. I should.

Leo: Don’t do any criminal activities, because I know you. That reminds me, there’s something else you and I need to talk about in private.

Hanru: We’re all family here. Just say it and get it over with.

Leo: It’s about what you did a few years ago back when you were 14.

Hanru: You mean when I got involved with Jason and his crew.

Leo: Yeah. I don’t want you getting involved in that kind of stuff again. It’s bad enough you became a target for a gang of serial killers, a sisterhood of serial killers, and the mafia. Who knows what else you’ve gotten yourself into, but we’ve been lucky so far to still be alive. Your luck is gonna run out and you’re gonna get yourself or someone you love killed. You need to take this lifestyle choice off our radar right now.

Hanru: Fine. It’s not on my radar anymore.

Leo: Good.

(Miami)

(Lee looks pretty stressed out and intoxicated. He sits at the bar of a strip club. The bartender pours another shot for Lee.)

Bartender: This is your third shot, man. Are you sure you got enough for this? This is a pretty high-profile drink you ordered.

Lee: I’m friends with the owner, Kaito. I’m getting married to his sister in a couple of days. (Takes the shot)

Bartender: You told me you were getting married, but not to a mobster’s sister. You sure you should be in this bar? Kaito can be pretty rough from what I hear.

Lee: He’s accepted me as family. He’s not gonna do anything too bad to me if he catches me.

Bartender: What exactly is stressing you out? My years on the job, I recognize sulking when it comes through the door. Is it because you’re afraid of joining a mobster family?

Lee: I got his sister pregnant, so I’m stuck with this choice. But I love her, and do wanna marry her out of love. My main issue is my addiction my good man. I am addicted to the greatest thing on this earth known to man.

Bartender: Ah. You have the feline fever I see. Can’t stay away from it.

Lee: Yep. I feel like a fish outta water unable to pass on.

Bartender: You love this woman, right? Take away all of the fears you have of Kaito and the pressures of this baby. How do you really feel about this women?

Lee: … I love her… I wanna be with her forever. But I can’t…

Bartender: Listen to me. She is gonna be your wife. You need to be honest with her about what you’re going through. She may be there for you, she may not, but she is your wife and you need to be honest about this. I don’t recommend this, but there are ways you can lower your libido. Women can lower their libido with birth control so there may be some medications out there for lowering your sexual appetite.

Lee: Do you got any of these medications?

Bartender: Maybe, but you gotta confront your wife about this.

Lee: (Sighs) The more we talk about this, the more I want it. I- I want it… We’re not married yet, so if I go out and have an orgy with midget and some Asian hookers, it’s not a bad thing. (Bangs his fist on the table) It is official, I am taking one of these hookers to a motel tonight! I am a free spirit, baby. No one can hold me down!

Bartender: (Chuckles) I used to be just like you, kid. Trust me, I made the same mistake you did and I paid for it. I lost my wife and daughter. She split and cutoff all connections. Don’t make the same mistake I did. Be smart about this.

Lee: I will be… I’ll be smart enough not to get caught. (Laughs) I’ll be seeing you. (Quickly walks away from the bar)

(Jessica’s apartment)

(Etta and Keith are both lying in bed facing one another and looking in each other’s eyes. Etta seems a bit shy about something, but she is happy to be with her boyfriend Keith.)

Etta: (Giggles) What are you thinking about?

Keith: Tacos and how yummy they are. We should go get some for lunch; let’s go.

Etta: Wait, wait, don’t be in such a rush to go. (Kisses Keith) Stay in bed with me today, please? It’s not like either of us go to work today?

Keith: I know, but I’m really craving some tacos.

Etta: (Scoots closer and gets friendly with him) Well if you’re craving tacos, I’ve got a fish taco right here for you, screaming for your attention. (Kisses Keith three times then smiles at him)

(Keith nervously smiles at Etta. He begins to feel awkward after 2 seconds.)

Etta: Awe, what’s the matter, baby? If you’re worried about morning breath, it doesn’t bother me. I won’t be able to smell it anyway.

Keith: I know but… I’ll be able to smell you…

Etta: (Lightly chuckles) What do you mean?

Keith: I can err… I can smell you… And it’s… very unpleasant.

Etta: What? I thought you didn’t mind my body? I thought you didn’t have any problems with me.

Keith: I don’t… I… just have… maybe a few… problems is all.

Etta: All of those times you went down on me, why didn’t you tell me you had a problem? Why do you even have a problem? All girls are the same down there. We all smell the same!

Keith: No. Actually my ex never did.

Etta: … You mean the girl who broke your heart?

Keith: Yes. She didn’t have the same problem you do. She took care of herself.

Etta: Oh, and I don’t?!

Keith: No I didn’t say that, I… (Sighs) I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said anything.

Etta: Yeah, well you did. You sat there and told me straight up I’m a disgusting person.

Keith: I didn’t say. (Sighs)

Etta: Save it. (Sits up against the back of the bed and covers her face with her hands in embarrassment)

Keith: (Sits up beside her) Look, baby. (Tries to slowly hug her)

Etta: (Smacks his arms away and lowers her hands) Leave me alone.

Keith: I didn’t mean to hurt you, I just wanted you to be aware-

Etta: (Upset) I was aware of my problem! I just thought you loved me enough to get passed it!

Keith: This is my fault, okay, babe. I lied to you because I was afraid to hurt you.

Etta: If you don’t like something about me, just tell me and I can change it.

Keith: But I’m afraid that you’ll change so much, you won’t be the same Etta I love so much.

Etta: I love you too, Keith, and that’s why I want you to be honest with me. I can’t say I understand how you feel, because I have no problems with you. Everything about you I love. But if there was something about you I didn’t like, I don’t know whether I’d me honest and risk hurting you or if I’d lie and keep my thoughts to myself to prevent a fight. I don’t know. Keith, please promise me something?

Keith: Anything, what is it?

Etta: Promise me you will be honest with me. I need to know I can trust you.

Keith: (Hugs Etta) Okay, baby. I promise to be honest.

Etta: (Hugs Keith tightly) I can try my best to do something about the way I smell, okay? I’ll do it for you. Do you have any other problems with me?

Keith: I don’t feel right when we have sex. I feel… sorta grossed out.

(Etta stops hugging Keith and scoots a few inches away from him. She stares at him for a few seconds quietly.)

Etta: At me?

Keith: You know that’s not true.

Etta: What else would you be disgusted about?!

Keith: It feels weird being inside you. Please, I really don’t wanna sound like the bad guy here, but when I was with my ex-girlfriend, it felt good being with her. It felt right. I felt peace with her and when I was inside of her, it felt like heaven.

Etta: But with me?

Keith: (Takes a deep breath) With you it’s not the same. You feel sloppy and mushy down there and it makes me feel very uncomfortable and disgusted. I’m not trying to be a jerk, Etta. I love you, but this is the truth of how I feel.

Etta: Get out. Get out, please.

Keith: Etta, please don’t. You told me to be honest with you. This is why I didn’t want to tell you the truth. This is why I kept these things to myself. Baby, please.

Etta: I’m sick of always feeling like I’m in a competition with someone who’s not even competing for your heart. You love her so much; go be with her.

Keith: No, I don’t want her; I want you. I want you. I need you! Baby, please…

Etta: (Stares at Keith a few seconds, and then wipes her eyes) There’s nothing I can do for you that measures up to what she’s done for you. She’s a better cook, she’s better in bed, she apparently smells better and doesn’t disgust you. She’s so much better than I am. I love you, Keith, but she’s the right one for you; it’s not me. Go be with her. Please… go with her… and be happy. (Lies on the bed and turns away from him) Please go. I wanna be alone. Please, Keith… Close the door.

(Keith is hesitant, but he knows how much he hurt Etta. He leaves the room and closes the door on his way out. He walks down the small hallway and next to him, he sees Jessica in the kitchen eating a Go-gurt. He stops and takes a few steps into the kitchen.)

Keith: (Sad) I messed up.

Jessica: You didn’t mess up, Keith, you were honest with her. But you have to understand how much she loves you. The proof of how much she loves you is lying right there in that other room sobbing her eyes out.

Keith: I should have just kept this to myself.

Jessica: You did the right thing. She loves you way too much to give up on you. Right now she feels worthless and she feels like she can’t make the person she loves most in this world, happy. She thinks that your ex can make you happier than she can. She’ll eventually try and better herself for you until she feels worthy enough to make you happier than your ex can make you.

Keith: I’m not going back to my ex.

Jessica: I know that, but I also know Etta. She’s not giving up on you.

Keith: What if she does?

Jessica: Well… I am maybe exaggerating a bit when I say she won’t give up on you, but if she ever does, she will always keep that special place in her heart for you. She’ll try and move on maybe, but… who knows what’s gonna happen?

Keith: I don’t want things to end like this.

Jessica: Then don’t let them? Things get worse before they can get better usually. This is just a speed bump in your relationship. Why do you think you have so many issues with her sexuality?

Keith: I honestly don’t know… Maybe it’s because I’ve had something better?

Jessica: Your ex was better than Etta?

Keith: Well no, I mean… (Sighs) Ugh, I don’t know… I don’t know why I feel this way about her.

(There is a knock at the front door.)

Jessica: You stay here.

(Jessica walks away and answers the door. It’s Hanru.)

Jesica: Hey, Hanru. There’s sort of some drama going on right now.

(Hanru sees Keith standing in the back looking at the ground and crossing his arms.)

Hanru: I’m guessing relationship issues with Etta and Keith?

Jessica: Yeah. It’s pretty bad.

Hanru: May I come in? It won’t take long.

Jessica: Sure.

(Hanru walks into the living room and Keith leans against the wall dividing the living room and kitchen. Jessica closes the door and locks it.)

Keith: Jessica, I really should get going.

Jessica: No, you and Etta are an adorable couple and you need to fix this.

Hanru: What happened? I understand it’s not my business but maybe I can help.

Keith: I… told Henrietta my true feelings about her and things went bad.

Hanru: What exactly did you tell her?

Keith: Promise this stays between us?

Hanru: Yeah. (Crosses arms and nods)

Keith: I told her that she feels sloppy down there and that I feel disgusted when I’m inside her, and that she smells bad, and I told her that when I was with my ex, it felt natural with her. It felt good. I was able to feel free with her when we were having sex, but when I’m with Etta, I feel disgusted and she feels really gross. She told me to leave because she feels my ex can provide more happiness for me because she gives better sex and she cooks better.

Hanru: I see. Alright then so wait, why did you tell her these things? Were you trying to be cruel or what?

Keith: I was just trying to be honest. I love her with all my heart, and I don’t wanna lose her. I told her those hateful things out of love. I just feel so uncomfortable when I’m with her.

Hanru: Do you feel lost or can you logically think when you’re with her sexually?

Keith: I can logically think, yeah.

Hanru: But you would lose yourself with your ex?

Keith: Yes.

Hanru: What disgusts you most about Etta?

Keith: Just when I’m with her sexually, I feel disgusted being inside of her. Just the way she feels is just… Ugh… I don’t mean to sound cruel at all, I’m just honest.

Hanru: It sounds to me like you love her.

Keith: That’s obvious.

Hanru: No, I mean, it seems your ex corrupted you with a false sense of sexuality. Love and lust are two huge factures in the concept of sexuality- love being the joy and intimate connection, and lust being the selfish desire and physical aspect. Your ex may have been good in bed, but she corrupted you into thinking that sex is about the lust aspect and not the love. Your love is being suppressed by the lingering lust feelings etched into you by your ex. What did you like most about your ex? I’m guessing it was the fact that she made you feel open and free, right? She made you feel very close to her and when the two of you were together in bed, you felt like you could give all of yourself to her. Is that true?

Keith: Uh… sorta, yeah…

Hanru: How did things end?

Keith: She got bored of me and moved on. Despite how much she and I said we loved each other, she just left and had no regrets or sad feelings. But I knew our love was real.

Hanru: Sounds like a succubus to me. No wonder why she has such a powerful effect on you.

Keith: Aren’t succubus creatures from fairytales?

Hanru: Succubus are women who use lust as a weapon to control men and make them fall in love. I’m not going into details, but just know that your ex has corrupted you. You love Etta and you want to be with her and all of these little issues you have with her aren’t real issues. You feel uncomfortable and distanced from Etta because you are unable to accept the full love you have for her. The only way this can be fixed, is if you accept Etta’s love and lower your guard with her. Accept that she is your lover. She may have flaws, but you need to look pass those flaws. It’s okay to talk to her about a few issues you may have, that’s normal for every relationship, but the two of you need to find mutual understanding, and communicate with one another. She may be sloppy down there but that’s how she naturally is, so embrace that naturalness about her, it’s unique to her. She smells bad down there? Well it’s her natural smell. If you love her, you’ll power through it, otherwise, the two of you can come together and work on how to change it. She’s not your wife. If she can’t cook, than you teach her. If you can’t cook either, you both can learn together. Don’t just tell her you have problems with her, work with her. Everyone’s love is different I understand that, but the two of you need to be completely open and honest with each other and you can’t be afraid to put faith in your relationship. If the two of you base your relationship on fear, you unknowingly put your faith in fear to hold you two together. You gotta put your faith in love. So go in there and make up with the girl you love.

Jessica: That was a bit extreme, don’t you think?

Hanru: Yeah, sorry. But, Keith, do you get what I’m trying to say?

Keith: I do man. Thanks.

(Keith enters the room and kneels down in front of Etta. She just cuddles in her blanket sniffing and trying not to shed anymore tears.)

Keith: Etta…

Etta: I told you to leave me alone. Get out.

Keith: (Gently kisses Etta) I love you, and I’m sorry. My ex doesn’t make me happier than you do. She made a really huge impact on my life and the truth is, I’m scared to disconnect from her and let you in. But I wanna do that. I really do. (Grabs Etta’s hand firmly) I accept you for who you are. I love you, and I want to be with you. I don’t want you to change. I love you just the way you are in every way.

Etta: I feel like I’m not worth having you anymore. I’m disgusting.

Keith: You’re not disgusting.

Etta: Yes I am! You even said so yourself.

Keith: Then I accept the disgusting things about you. I love the disgusting things about you because they’re a part of who you are naturally. I’m sorry I was so cruel earlier, Etta, but I want to fix things. I really, really do. I can’t- picture my life without you, and I know that’s a cliché thing to say, but it’s true.

Etta: Even if you do accept me for my flaws, there are still some things I wanna change about myself. I want to satisfy your emotional needs, just as well as your physical.

Keith: But, sweetie, as long as I love you, I’ll look pass that, and I will love you regardless.

Etta: And that’s the problem. (Looks deep into Keith’s eyes) Baby, I know how powerful love can be and I know love can overlook many things. But even when you’re not blinded by the light of my love, I still want you to see me clearly, and recognize all that I am for you and all that I have to offer you. I want you to fully experience what I have to offer you, so even if the day comes and we break up, I will still have a significant remembrance in your heart.

Keith: You already do.

Etta: I need to prove it to myself.

(The two of them hug.)

(Cabin in the woods)

(Lawrence is seen wondering through a small forest. It’s really cold and snowy. He clenches his body up while walking toward the front door of the cabin. He gets to the door and walks right in. He sees his ex-girlfriend Israel and Natasha both sitting by the fireplace. Lawrence stands next to the two of them.)

Lawrence: Hey, Tasha, how’s the eye?

Natasha: Still fake as always.

(Lawrence looks down and sees Natasha holding the side of her stomach. Blood stains her shirt and her hand.)

Lawrence: You got a little something there on your side?

Natasha: Yeah, a fishhook got me.

Lawrence: A fishhook got you or someone got you with a fishhook?

Natasha: Whatever, it’s all the same. What do you want?

Lawrence: I came here to speak with Israel.

Israel: Lawrence please don’t make this about us and our failed relationship. You know why I ended things and I was drunk when you proposed to me. I’m sorry for giving you false sense of hope, Lawrence, but things are just not gonna workout between us. I am sorry.

Lawrence: That’s fair.

Natasha: Breaking the sappy tension here, the group is lowering in numbers. While you’re out playing good-brother, the rest of us have been killing off Jason’s crew. It’s a matter of time before they get to your little brother, so you better watch over him like a hawk and make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble.

Lawrence: Alright. I should head back home then.

Natasha: Before you go, help stitch me up, would ya?

Lawrence: Sure.

(Miami)

(Lee is seen walking the streets alone late at night and in a depressed mood. Sirens can he hears from a far distance. A black SUV slams on breaks beside Lee. The windows roll down and a man in the passenger seat yells at Lee.)

Man: Get in; hurry up? (Rolls up the window)

(Lee gets in the back seat and sitting next to him is Kaito. The car drives off and the doors are locked.)

Kaito: You go to my bar, try and pick up one of my girls, and expect for me not to find out? How stupid do you think I am?

Lee: I don’t think you’re stupid at all, Kaito.

Kaito: (angered) Oh, so you knew I would catch you?!

Lee: I guess I didn’t really think it through.

Kaito: How is your wife gonna react when she finds out about this?!

Lee: I don’t know, Kaito… I honestly don’t know.

Kaito: I’d rather not upset her with this because she’s carrying your child, but she has the right to know. You’re getting married in two days!

Lee: I know, Kaito, and maybe that’s why I did what I did.

Kaito: No! You can’t use that “losing your freedom” excuse to dismiss what you did tonight! I’m really trying not to get back into my old mood again, Lee, but you’re really pushing me.

Lee: (Looks at Kaito) Why not just kill me and get it over with then?

Kaito: (Laughs) Oh now you wanna use psychology on me, eh? I don’t know what your problem is or what you’re going through but it’s not fair that my baby sister is caught in the middle of it. Fix yourself up! You have two days!

(The car stops and the doors are unlocked. Lee is kicked out of the back seat and onto the streets. The SUV then drives off.)

(LJ’s home)

(LJ, Janet, and Holly are all in the living room. Holly and Janet sit on the couch and LJ is angrily pacing back and forth in front of them)

LJ: Help me out here, please, Janet. So you and our daughter both went to a party where there would be underage drinking and illegal drugs?

Janet: That’s right, LJ; I did.

LJ: How could you take our daughter somewhere like that?!

Janet: She’s a young girl who’s lost and just needs to find her way in life. I’m doing my job as a mother and I’m helping her out.

LJ: No, no, you are damaging her. Do you not understand that?

Janet: Even if I didn’t approve, she would be going out to these things anyway! At least with me there, she has security and someone watching over her!

LJ: What is your major malfunction? I don’t understand this. What, were you dropped on your head as a child? We’re the brains literally banged out of you from having sex with so many men since you were a child?! What?! What is it?! I need to know! Help me understand your aberrant logic!

Janet: You know what, LJ, I am who I am. I’m just a person who enjoys chaos. I dwell in chaos, I thrive in chaos; I am chaos. I’m just trying to expose my own daughter to the real world. The real world is a messed up place and she needs to experience it first hand as a young adult.

LJ: I moved us here to the suburbs so that she could get away from what we were born into! Look at us, Janet! Look at our parents, our families; our origins! It’s all the same! Your father sold you to some stranger for a couple thousand bucks! You grew up in some twisted concentration-whore-camp with some guy named Claude who raised not only you, but several hookers! He set you free and you chose to remain a prostitute and bang guys for money, and spend your nights doped up on drugs! It’s a wonder you’re not dead. And look at me. My entire family grew up in the ghetto! My father was a dealer, a banger, and a pimp, and my mom was one of his girls before he married her. I was a pimp too. Everything my father was, I became, and I promised myself I never would share the same past history as my father, but guess what? I did. I became like him in almost every way! He got out of the game and straightened up so that me and my siblings could have a chance at success and on my birthday, I accidentally got him and my mother killed in a car accident. I was raised in a gang, I sold dope to kids, and when they got caught, I had to handle them! I got into hookers and you were one of mine and now you are my girl and now we have a child together. After I accidentally got my father killed, I guess a part of me struggled to follow in his footsteps because it was the only way to keep him alive! I was unaware I was doing that until recently. Now I brought you and Holly to this neighborhood so we could break our parent’s curse, but look at you, keeping it alive…

(LJ takes a few seconds to get his thoughts together.)

LJ: I love you both, and I don’t want our daughter growing up like we did, Janet, I just don’t. (Kneels down and grabs Janet’s hand) One of these days, I want to make you my wife, but if I do that, I don’t want you living this destructive life style. I love you, Janet, but we are not married. If I know there’s nothing I can do for you, I will leave.

Janet: I love you too, LJ. (Hugs LJ and embraces him) But this is who I am. There’s nothing that can change me. I’m not housewife material. This is who I am, and our daughter is not defined by our actions or our family’s actions. She is old enough to make her own decisions. I’m just here supporting her for whatever lifestyle choice she makes for herself. That’s what I’m doing.

(LJ and Janet stop hugging and LJ turns his back from Janet.)

Janet: What do you want to do, LJ?

LJ: (Sincere) My greatest fear in this life… Is failing as a father… and as a husband but… mainly as a father… (Turns around to face Janet) I am not going to fail as a dad, and I won’t let you get in the way of that.

Janet: I won’t have to. Your daughter is who she is. She’s going to make choices regardless of what you say and you cannot stop her. She grew up calling someone else daddy, and she found out he stole her as a baby, and then he faked his own death, and then she found out he was alive, then he died again right in her arms. (Stands up and walks closer to LJ) Look at the reality of this, LJ, do you… do think she’s really gonna accept you as her father?

LJ: I am her father.

Janet: You’re not her father. You are the man who gave her life, but you were not there to raise her, you weren’t there to help her when she was having boy problems in school. You didn’t spoil her or take her to the movies, or take her out to dinners. What are her hobbies? What does she wanna be when she grows up? What’s her favorite food? LJ I know you think you’re a good father, but it takes more than just a fancy house in a nice neighborhood, and the occasional store shopping and movie watching. You have no idea who Holly is deep down or why she’s acting out. I know that drugs and partying are bad for her, but I can’t force myself to be a good mother to her. All I can do is stand by her side and support her through this crisis in her life. All I can do at this point is be her friend, because it’s too late for us to pretend to be the perfect parents. I’m sorry, but you can’t force her to not make bad decisions. Technically you’re still just a stranger to her.

(The room grows silent for a few seconds.)

Janet: You think you’re a good father, but you’re not. You are a terrible father who thinks he can win his daughter’s heart by moving her into a fancy house. There’s more to being a parent than that. So stop holding on to your false perception of keen parenting. (Walks away)

(LJ is left standing alone in the living room to reflect on himself. After a short time, he walks into Holly’s room. She is lying in bed under her covers. He pulls up a chair next to her from under her computer desk and sits in it backwards. Holly is turned away from him but she is still awake.)

LJ: (Takes a deep breath) Holly. I know that… I was never there to raise you, and the fact that you’ve accepted me as the role of your father remains a mystery to me. But I need you to know I’m here for you if you nee- Holly, I was never there for you growing up and you probably look at me like I’m just some guy trying to control you or tell you what to do. I’m not. We’ve lived under this same household for about a year and I realize I know almost nothing about you personally. I guess I’m just too afraid to get close to you because I don’t want to risk failing and proving to myself I’m not good enough to be your dad. Failing as a father was one of my worst fears growing up and now I realize I’ve been living in that fear this whole time. I can’t limit myself by revolving my existence around a single goal opposite to what I fear most. Running away from your fears only causes you to run towards them and have them influence your life. But sometimes the origin of our positivity is negativity and sometimes the negativity in who we are originates from trying to share our positivity to the world. The only way to move forward from this fear is to accept my fears as a part of me. No matter how much it hurts, no matter how much I wanna deny it, I just cant. I have to accept it. I accept that I am a bad father, so now I want you to tell me what scares you most in this scary world and I want you to accept it.

Holly: I am afraid of not having a father… I’m afraid of not having anyone protect me. I hear stories all the time about women being raped and killed and targeted and it scares me. Every time something scares me, I run toward it in some kind of way. Then when I get there, I feel alone and I look for something to put my faith in to make me feel secure. When I go out, I drink and I do drugs and it helps me feel less scared. I feel like I’m a part of the very environment I always fear to be a part of. The drugs make me feel safe and Jake makes me feel safe because he’s a bad boy and he makes me feel like he can take control and be my protector.

LJ: So you run toward your fears, to try and overcome them, but then you feel unsecure once you reach your goal?

Holly: Uh-huh.

LJ: Boy we’re one messed up family.

(Holly lightly chuckles. LJ cracks a smile, but then after a few seconds, the moment begins to sink in again.)

LJ: You’re desperate for a father; that’s why you accepted me as a father figure. You need sense of security.

Holly: (Rolls over to face her father) I can’t take on the world by myself.

LJ: You don’t have to. But, baby, you gotta be careful with the choices you make. I understand you’re only trying to drown out the fears of being a target by trying to run away from them, but trust me you are only making yourself weaker inside.

Holly: I don’t want to be stronger inside. I just want to be guided and protected by someone who is strong enough to make me feel less scared in the world.

LJ: Embracing your fears by relying on chaos to make you feel secure. That’s exactly what your mother does. Chaos is her comfort zone. You need to be strong in this world, Holly. You can’t always rely on your fears to keep you safe. That’s something all of us do at some point and most of the time it defines who we are. Learning to be strong will grant you the ability to convert your fears into strengths.

Holly: I don’t know if I can do that, dad?

LJ: This is going to be a hard road for you, Holly. You’re going to go through so much in your lifetime and it’s all starting now. The man who raised you was there for you during your years of peace, but now during your years of chaos, I’m gonna be here to help you see it through to the end.

Holly: Thank you, daddy. (Leans over and gives him a big hug) If I decide to try and not be so morally submissive, do you promise to have patience with me and not scream at me?

LJ: I promise, baby.

(LJ walks downstairs and confronts Janet in the kitchen area.)

Janet: Did you talk to her?

LJ: I did. Now I need to talk to you.

Janet: I am a grown woman, LJ. I know how to make my own choices and I choose to live this lifestyle. Whatever it is you feel you need to say to me, I don’t wanna hear, so please don’t bother.

LJ: Fine. I won’t say anything. (Walks upstairs)

(Virginia’s bedroom)

(Virginia is see folding clothes in the bedroom of her now deceased husband. She tries her best to keep a straight face, but deep down she feels more twisted than shoelaces on the face of a sneaker. Her daughter Erika walks into the room.)

Erika: Hi mom.

(Virginia looks in the mirror and sees Erika’s reflection as she comes through the door. She ignores Erika and continues to pulls clothes out of the dresser and fold them.)

Erika: Mom, dad’s last words to me were to make things right with you. I don’t wanna go against dad’s dying wish, mom, so please, talk to me.

(Virginia ignores Erika.)

Erika: Dad said he loved you.

(Virginia loses it for half a second and slams the drawer close in front of her. She rest her hands on the dresser and leans her head forward. She begins to lightly sob. Erika is hesitant, but she walks up to Virginia and wraps her arms around her shoulders. Virginia looks up at Erika and right away pushes her a few feet back.)

Virginia: (Anger and hatred) You stay away from me.

Erika: Please, mom, don’t do this now. Your husband just died and all you can do is hold on to this silly grudge for me leaving you! Stop it already, please. We both lost somebody we cared about very much and you need me just as much as I need you. Mom, please, just… Ugh…

Virginia: I want you out of my house and I don’t ever want you back here, do you understand?

Erika: Tch. (Shakes her head in disbelieve) Wow, okay, dad told me about the issues you had with your mother-

Virginia: GET OUT!!

(The room grows silent for a few seconds.)

Erika: Your mom was cruel to you growing up as a child and I understand that, mom. Dad told me about your tragic life story of your abusive mother and how she would always hit you whenever she was having a bad day. All you ever wanted was her attention and you never got it and even on her death bed she was cruel to you when you were taking care of her and washing her body when she soiled herself, and despite that, she never once told you she loved you and it turned you into an empty shell. Your mother abandoned you-

Virginia: Stop.

Erika: And you thought I could fill in that gap.

Virginia: Stop…

Erika: But then I abandoned you and reminded you of the scar your mother left on your soul.

Virginia: Stop it!

Erika: I’m sorry, mom! I know that doesn’t mean anything to you, but I’m here trying to make it right. I don’t care what it takes; I will keep trying to get you back, and even if you don’t accept me as your daughter, I will be here to help you live though the pain that your mother has inflicted on you. I love you, mom.

(Virginia turns away from Erika and begins to suck in her tears.)

Virginia: I love you too, Erika… Now please, give me some time to myself.

(Kaito’s mansion)

(Lee wonders into his bedroom. Nicky gets startled by Lee and she quickly throws her wedding dress in the closet next to her before Lee can see it.)

Nicky: Don’t you ever knock?!

Lee: (Mopey) This is my room too. (Walk over to the bed and jumps in the sheets face-first)

Nicky: What’s the matter?

Lee: I don’t wanna talk about it.

Nicky: Please?

Lee: (Sighs and looks at Nicky) I cheated on you tonight with another woman. (Getting a bit angry) I’m sorry, Nicky, but that’s just who I am. I am a cheater. I am a sex addict. I’m sorry I’m not the perfect guy, but sex has this hold on me. Like these strings that tie against my penis and control it like a puppet. I can’t help it. (Calms down) This isn’t going to work out.

Nicky: I know. We weren’t meant for each other. But I still say we should fight.

Lee: Fight?! Fight for what, Nicky? I have an incurable sex addiction! Even if we get married, I’m going to be out having sex with other women! I can’t deny it anymore. I’m too unpredictable. One second I’m loyal, the next, I’m off with other women, then I’m a goof ball, the next second I’m just this empty black hole, regretting every inch of my own existence on this planet. I never told anyone this, not even my best friends, but I’ve been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD or HDTV or whatever, and my mind is literally unpredictable and out of control. Even if I wanted to stop it, I can’t! And I don’t wanna go on medication again. They make me feel worse. I mean I do feel better on them but then when I reach my lows, the feeling is literally indescribably. I literally felt like death during my lows. Sex seems to be the best thing that distracts me from getting to deep into those low points. I’m sorry but I can’t be a faithful husband to you.

(Nicky sits beside Lee on the bed.)

Nicky: That’s fine.

Lee: (Faces Nicky) That’s fine?!

Nicky: Look, you and I aren’t a good couple. We both have our own issues. We both have our own problems, but you know what, I don’t have many expectations for you being my husband. So all I want is love. As do you with me, right?

Lee: Yeah.

Nicky: So look, I’m here for you. I’m sure what I’m agreeing to is extremely wrong, but… I don’t know… (Clenches his cheeks and looks him in the eyes) I just wanna be here for you. I’m going to do my best to help you get through this addiction, but if I can’t, I will still be here by your side.

Lee: What kind of love is this? Is this even a real relationship?

Nicky: Sometimes the greatest love is a distanced one. When you’re too close to someone, they blind you, but when you keep your distance from them and you see all of what they really are, do you still accept them? I accept you. So, the only way you’re getting out of this wedding is if I die, so if you’re getting cold feet, you better kill me now, because I’ll be vulnerable. (Passionately kisses Lee for 3 seconds)

Lee: Wait. Shouldn’t I shower first? I was with another woman a few hours ago.

Nicky: Don’t ruin the moment. Just go with the flow. (Kisses Lee passionately and lies on top of him)

(Jessica’s apartment)

(Hanru and Jessica are talking alone in the living room.)

Jessica: That was a pretty awkward situation there.

Hanru: There are a lot of awkward things in this world that aren’t exploited because they are awkward, but sometimes you gotta just put it out there and not be afraid of what might happen.

Jessica: What was that thing you said awhile back? Uh… (Whisper) What was it, what was it…

Hanru: Never cook bacon with your shirt off?

Jessica: (Laughs) That was some great advice, yes. But that wasn’t the one I was thinking of.

Hanru: Don’t eat the yellow snow?

Jessica: (Laughs again) That too. But no it was something like… Don’t be afraid to show the world an ugly truth because truth lies dormant in the heart of all things seemingly ugly. So wait, does that mean that everything seemingly beautiful is actually a lie at heart? That would actually make sense because I mean just look at models and porn stars and movie stars. They’re all the definition of fake.

Hanru: They are. Male porn stars get fat injected into their penis to make them look bigger. Female porn stars get plastic surgery for their private areas and their boobs to look seemingly better. Movie stars get face lifts- male and female celebrities, but no one ever significantly considers male plastic surgery. Models are photo-shopped and I’ve even watched an episode of Tyra Banks Show when she was interviewing a model on that subject. The media presents this false sense of what men and females should look like on the outside to make us all feel subject to their cause and to make money off us.

Jessica: It totally doesn’t seem farfetched. I can see how everything in this world is a conspiracy for money. It’s all about origin of public figures. By finding the origin of why things are the way they are in media, you’ll find that everything nowadays is nothing but a repeat of business pitches evolved to adapt to newer society. They can’t make money without us being subject and falling for their advertisements. This is a sad world, Hanru. (Cuddles up next to Hanru) I see why money is the root of all evil.

Hanru: (Wraps his arm around Jessica) Money isn’t the root of all evil; love for money is the root of all evil. Love is the source of all hatred in this world.

Jessica: You know, these are the type of conversations I have with my brother Tony. I should call him over. I want you to meet him. Oh wait. (Clenches her palm against her face) I forgot my family was planning to spend time with me and my siblings for Christmas! UGH! (Looks at Hanru with a sad face)

Hanru: I guess this means you’ll miss Lee’s wedding.

Jessica: I’m gonna have to. (Smacks her lips) Ah man. I really hate this.

Hanru: (Hugs Jessica) I’ll give Lee a big hug for you.

Jessica: Aw, thank you.

(There is a knock at the door.)

Jessica: (Sighs) Cock-block.

Hanru: I wasn’t gonna try anything romantic with you. My cock was not blocked. (Chuckles)

Jessica: I was talking about me. (Chuckles)

Hanru: (Joking) Ooh, kinky.

Jessica: (Laughs and stands up) Let me go see who that is.

(Jessica answers the door and it’s her big brother Tony.)

Jessica: Hey, Tony, I was just thinking about you.

Tony: Hey, Jessi. I was coming by to tell you the Christmas reunion for our family-

Jessica: Has been cancelled?

Tony: No.

Jessica: Postponed?

Tony: Relocated to my place. It may be a little crammed in their but hey, at least we’ll have a “close family”. (Laughs) You get it? Close- never mind. So hey, Christmas is in two or three days.

Jessica: 4 days actually. I know because tomorrow is my buddy Hanru’s birthday. Come in; say hi. It’s cold out.

Tony: Okay, thank you.

(Everything moves in slow motion. Tony enters the living room and walks up to Hanru. Dead on interaction, Tony looks deep in Hanru’s eye an analyses his very soul. He offers Hanru a handshake. Hanru looks down at his hand; and then up at him. Hanru grabs Tony’s hand and they begin to shake. Everything moves normal again and the two release grips.)

Tony: (Grins) It’s nice to meet you, Sir Hanru. I am Tony. Or Anthony.

Hanru: You know my name already so I assume there’s no need for introduction. (Fakes a smile)

Tony: (Chuckles and crosses arms) You’re a funny guy. We could use someone like you down where I work at.

Hanru: Well where do you work at?

Tony: Doesn’t matter. Look, Uh, Jessica. (Turns to his sister) If you want, I can drive you down to my place right now and show you where I live, or I can just come pick you up in a couple days. It’s up to you.

Jessica: Yeah just come pick me up Christmas Eve and if it’s okay with you, I can maybe stay the night?

Tony: (Smiles) Alright, that’ll work. I’ll see you then. (Looks at Hanru while walking toward the door) It’s nice meeting you, Hanru. I’ll be seeing you, kid. (Leaves the apartment)

Jessica: Okay, that was strange. He usually doesn’t act like that.

Hanru: What was his problem looking at me like that?

Jessica: I did sense a little tension there, but I couldn’t tell you why.

Hanru: I’m headed home, Jessica.

Jessica: Come by and see me for my birthday tomorrow.

Hanru I will.

(Hanru is walking through the snowy parking lot. An old car passes by Hanru in the parking lot. As he’s about to walk pass the corner, a man in a ski mask hits the corner and knocks Hanru in the face with a blunt object. Hanru falls to the ground unconscious.)

(Ada’s home)

(Lawrence makes it back home. He walks up the stairs and directly into Leo’s room. Leo is taking off his construction outfit.)

Leo: Didn’t anyone ever teach you to knock?

Lawrence: I’ve gotten involved with some bad people who threaten the lives of our family. I was afraid that someday Hanru would get mixed up in the wrong people and put himself in danger, and I end up doing that very thing. We always wanted Hanru protected because he was our only chance at redeeming the sins of our family. You were adopted, Leo, so you don’t know the history or the origin of the Sazuki family. I know our origin and I know we’ve all done some pretty messed up things. I was fine with you being like my surrogate uncle but then I realized you almost got my family killed and that upset me, but you know what, I’m over it. You are nothing but a poser to this family. You are an outsider getting in the way of family business. Sure you grew up in the poor and after struggling for so many years, you’ve decided to be a cop, but you kept getting in the way of our family ambitions!

Leo: What are you trying to say to me exactly? Get to your point.

Lawrence: The real reason why I dislike you so much is not because you almost had my family killed, it’s because of the things you did that, unknowing to you, interfered with plans for Hanru remaining protected. Kwan was supposed to legally be Hanru’s guardian and protect him from ever meeting Jason, but you went behind his back and legally changed custody for both me and Hanru. Because of that, Hanru wasn’t raised properly. He was raised by a detective. You chose to be a detective where our family descended from killers! You being a detective made it difficult for our family to continue doing their deeds in their own households. When you got a tiny whiff of my father being a killer, you tried having him killed to protect my mother, your adoptive sister, from being caught up in illegal activity. The man you hired then tried to kill both my parents and attacked Hanru to seem convincing. That was an opportunity for them to fake their own deaths, but Hanru unfortunately couldn’t be taken. Our parents wanted Hanru safe from criminal lifestyle. Kwan was tasked with making sure Hanru was raised correctly, but then you took custody and ruined everything. Hanru went out and tried to be a detective and because of you always keeping personal files on criminals, Hanru was able to constantly progress in his illegal activity and ended up living the very life our parents worked so hard for him not to have! Hanru getting involved in criminal activity dates back to our family history, and it’s destiny that he’s involved in those kinds of things. We tried to change his destiny but you messed everything up!

Leo: Honestly I have no idea what to say right now.

Lawrence: I’m saying it’s time for you to become a full Sazuki. You need to learn our origins, but only at the promise that you join our cause. If I tell you our history, and you refuse to pledge your loyalty, you will be killed. Do you understand?

Leo: Not… really…

Lawrence: You already know too much, so either you join us, or die.

Leo: Is this conversation really happening?

Lawrence: (Pulls a pistol out of his jacket) What’s it gonna be?

TO BE CONTINUED…

[“Sparks of Light” by Exitmusic]
♠ ♠ ♠
1. Jessica’s comment about Hanru being a bit too extreme was the thought I had after I wrote that entire speech.

2. Leo’s quote at the end of this chapter- “Is this conversation really happening?” Was another hidden expression of what I was thinking when I wrote this. This entire conversation was rather awkward for me to re-read. This Volume was in a way written to be a last volume so the fact that there is so much random things happening would make sense.

3. “Sparks of Light” by Exitmusic plays at the end of this chapter.