Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Four Chapter Thirty-Eight: Reversion (Winter 2014)

On previous chapter(s) Lawrence confronted Leo about the truth of his family’s dark history. Before doing so, Lawrence tried confronting Israel about an earlier proposal but Israel explained to him that she has no intention of rekindling the fire of their relationship. Natasha also revealed to Lawrence how she and a few other foreign members of “The Group” have been killing off members of “The Group”. Lee confessed the truth of his sexual addiction and a mental disorder which he always kept secret, to his fiancé Nicky. Nicky agrees to stay by his side and help him out as much as possible. Things got a bit tense after Jessica’s brother Tony and Hanru met, but minutes later after Hanru left the apartment, he was suddenly attacked in the parking lot. LJ, Janet, and Holly went through some hardcore family drama and psychological reflections on themselves. They all realized their current lives have been built on the history of their parent’s. Janet refuses to change however, and remain in her chaos. Ada and Yoko have been spending some quality time together when they have the chance, and Erika is hoping to repair the damaged bridge between she and her mother after her father passed away.

(The blindfold is removed from Hanru’s face. He is tied to a seat on a private plane. Next to him is Jessica. Same as him, she too is blindfolded and tied up. Two men in suits stand in front of Hanru glaring at him.)

Guard: Keep calm and this will all go well.

Hanru: Who are you?

Guard 2: It doesn’t matter. Just know you’ve been summoned by our boss. As long as you cooperate and don’t arouse any suspicion, you’ll get to your destination with all your fingers intact.

Hanru: You better let me go; I have connections.

Guard: (Chuckles) Our boss doesn’t care about that. He runs operations in four American states and Cuba.

Hanru: Sounds like the guy I’m talking about. His name is Kaito Zonoda. Is that who your boss is?

(The two guards look at one another.)

(Miami)

(Kaito Zonoda is lying on the bed by his pool located behind his mansion. About 13 other individuals are around the pool area as well swimming and having a great time. Kaito looks stressed out as he talks over the phone.)

Kaito: I can’t believe you idiots! I know you’re new to this job, but I did not authorize you to use violence against my friend!

Guard: (Nervous) Sorry, sir, we didn’t know.

Kaito: Put Him on the phone!

Hanru: Hey, Kaito.

Kaito: (Frustrated) You alright?! They didn’t hurt you or anything, right? You’re all good?!

Hanru: I’m very peachy, Kaito, except for these guys have me and Jessica tied up. If I’m gonna ride on a private plane, it would be nice to at least have enough freedom to use the restroom on my own.

Kaito: I should have these guys fired!

Hanru: Like you said loudly over the phone, these guys are new, and with the information outsiders are presented with about your professional field, I can imagine how terrified these guys must have been to fail, so they did their best to try and impress you. Maybe give them a gentle spanking but firing is not necessary.

Kaito: Alright, man. I trust your words. I’ll let it slide this time. Make sure they get those ropes off you and your girl. Make sure I’m over the phone when they do it.

(A few minutes pass and the guards are very apologetic to Hanru for kidnapping him.)

Guard: We are terribly sorry, sir. Hanru. We had no idea you had such a high rank in our organization.)

Hanru: It’s okay, no harm done. You okay, Jessi?

Jessica: Well it would’ve been nice to know I was getting kidnapped. I had a graveyard shift tonight and I didn’t pack any clothes.

Hanru: Is there any way you guys could get us some overnight things?

Guard: When we land, it won’t be a problem, sir.

Hanru: Sir? What am I an old man?

Jessica: You are 21 tomorrow.

Hanru: See now I feel old. Why did you have to remind me?

Jessica: Awe my poor baby. Come here.

(Hanru cuddles up into Jessica’s arms feeling sad. Jessica holds him like a baby. The guards feel awkward about the situation.)

(Ada’s home)

(Ada is talking with her twin sister Ronda on the living room sofa.)

Ada: So what brings you by here?

Ronda: I found dad. I think it’s time we go pay the old coot a visit.

Ada: I don’t think so, Ronda.

Ronda: Come on, Ada. Don’t be such a scrooge. Let’s go see him one last time before the old man kicks the bucket.

Ada: He’s dying?

Ronda: Sadly, that’s why they let him out of prison early.

Ada: I used to be a cop. I know how faulty the system can be. (Takes a deep breath) Fine, I’ll go.

Ronda: Alright, let’s get going. We’ll get a couple plane tickets and fly back to Miami and we’ll be back in two days on the 23rd.

Ada: Tomorrow’s Hanru’s birthday; I don’t wanna miss it.

Ronda: It’s only one day. You’ll make it up to him later. Now we’ve gotta meet Erika and Henry back at the motel and all leave out together.

Ada: Wait, Erika and Henry are here?!

Ronda: Yeah, we all got here around Thanksgiving. I guess I forgot to mention that, I’m sorry.

Ada: Yoko will have to come along too.

Ronda: Oh that’s right I have a new niece, huh? Okay well Erika’s younger sister is about Yoko’s age. They’ll get along just fine.

Ada: Erika has a sister?

Ronda: Yeah. I guess I forgot to mention that too. Did I mention she has a son?

Ada: Actually I did know that. She told me a few years ago when we were still living in Miami. (Smiles) Don’t feel as dumb now.

(LJ’s yard)

(LJ is walking through the yard with a pile of mail in his hand. His neighbor walks out of his house.)

Al: (Waves) Howdy, neighbor!

(LJ checks his surroundings and sees two ladies across the street pacing. LJ walks around the fence and into his neighbor’s yard. He walks up to Al; Al closes his front door behind him.)

Al: So, uh… Have you decided what you’re gonna do yet? I gave you more than a day to think it over. I hope you made the right choice.

LJ: I did. I’ll give you the drugs, but you better make sure that monster stays behind a cage- For my family’s sake.

Al: I promise, I won’t let anything happen to your family.

(LJ and Al are startled by the sound of two tinted Escalade SUVs smashing on breaks in front of LJ’s home. About 8 men wearing masks and bandanas over their face rush out of the vehicles with automatic rifles. They all stand in front of LJ’s home and commence letting loose a storm of bullets directly into his house. Al quickly tackles LJ down to the ground to keep him safe. LJ tries to struggle to push Al off but Al uses all his force to keep him held down while the bullets continue to fly.)

LJ: My family!

Al: I know! But you’ll only get yourself killed out there playing hero!

(Bullets continue to shoot through his home seemingly endlessly. After about 15 more seconds, the bullets stop and everyone runs back into the vehicles and speed off down the street, leaving smoke in the streets. LJ quickly runs into his home and Al follows him in.)

Al: I’m gonna call this in! You check upstairs for your family; I’ll check down here!

(LJ quickly runs upstairs yelling Holly’s name while checking every room.)

LJ: HOLLY!

Holly: I’m out here, dad!

Al: (Yells from downstairs) In the backyard!

(LJ quickly bursts through the back door and runs up to Holly; hugging her in relief that she’s okay.)

LJ: (Panicking) Oh sweetie. Sweetheart, are you alright?! Did you get hit anywhere?

Holly: I’m fine, dad, I’m fine. (Looks him in the eyes) I’m fine.

(LJ walks a few steps back, turns away from Holly and takes a few seconds to get his head on straight.)

Holly: Dad, you’re hands are shaking.

LJ: I know- they’re shaking! (Turns around to face Holly) What if you had gotten shot?

Holly: (Trying to hold back her tears) But I’m okay, daddy… I’m okay. I’m just a little scared.

(Holly runs back up to LJ and hugs him tightly.)

Holly: What if they come back?

LJ: (Hugs his daughter) No, baby-girl, they’re not coming back. (Kisses her on the forehead) I promise you they’re not. I’ll deal with them.

Al: (Walking up to LJ) Hey, L.

LJ: Stand back, baby.

(Holly takes a few feet away and LJ turns around and pulls his pistol out on Al. Al stops where he is and raises his hands up in the air.)

Al: Whoa, whoa! Come on now, LJ, you don’t have to shoot me. You know it’s not gonna solve anything…

(LJ’s hands begin to lightly shake. He gets lost deep in thought for about 11 seconds. A dozen things go through his mind, but he sorts it all out and thinks with a clear head.)

LJ: If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be in this situation. You and I are always out in public together and Otis recognized you as his arresting officer. It wasn’t me going to his house and taking his drugs that set him off, it was him recognizing you. Maybe it was the drug thing too, but either way, that bag of drugs is the only hope I have for getting this crazy fool off my back! If you wanna arrest me that’s fine but my family will be safe. These drugs are going back to him. After a few days, when he gets to court, there will be no evidence of him possessing drugs and he’ll get out and these drugs will be his and my family will be left alone. I won’t let you stop me… (Freezes and takes a moment to think) Holly! You see what I’m doing here? This is wrong! (Lowers his gun) What happened, happened. What’s done is done. I know this man had a lot to do with this, but I can’t blame him. (Turns around and faces Holly) I can’t hold grudges against this man whether or not it was his fault. Now is the time to focus on a solution to this problem. You take this as a lesson, Holly. Don’t always blame other for your misery, cause sometimes when people are cruel to you, you can turn that cruelty into your own personal strength. (Looks at Al) I’m sorry I pulled this gun on you.

Al: Hey, we’re neighbors… Love thy neighbor is number one commandment in my book it’s all good. (Sighs) I can lose my job over this, but what can I do to help you resolve this predicament of yours? Nothing too excessive of course.

LJ: This situation was bound to happen at some point. I always expected it.… I could just play Rambo and start takin’ out his whole crew. But I’m gonna take a different approach. I want you to arrest these guys.

Al: Unless they all deal hardcore drugs, I can’t do that.

LJ: Alright, then. I guess it’s time to play Rambo. I’ll need a crew.

Al: I know a guy… He’s a big weapon’s dealer but he’s a good source of information.

LJ: I have a guy for that already.

Al: Go to my guy and you’re guaranteed not to be tracked.

LJ: I have a guy for that too .

Al: His name is Clay Wilcox.

LJ: That’s the guy.

Al: Ah, so we both know the same guy. Tell him you know me and you may get a discount on some firearms.

LJ: Thanks.

Al: I’ve done my part. I’m sorry your family got involved in this.

LJ: Why are you so keen on the idea of helping me? This is out of your character.

Al: Because it was my fault this happened in the first place. You helped my wife score some medication she needed; I took advantage and to further my career, I went after the big fish. I went after the guy whose drugs you stole. I should have known better than to do that. I’m sorry.

LJ: As long as you’re feeling sorry for yourself, why not look after Holly while I’m out handling business? Can I trust you to do that?

Holly: I’d rather stay with you, daddy.

LJ: You can’t come with me, Holly, I’m sorry.

Holly: Please, daddy?

LJ: No! I moved you here to the suburbs to get away from this kind of lifestyle!

Holly: But didn’t you just say a minute ago that this was bound to happen at some point? You’ve just proven that where we come from usually defines our lives, whether we follow in the same footsteps or we do the exact opposite. Either way our family is made up of nothing but criminals. Maybe at some point I’ll be a criminal too. I don’t know.

LJ: (Holds her shoulders and looks deep into her eyes) Listen to me, you are not going to be a criminal like me or your mother! Let’s get that straight right now! I will… I’ll show you a few things, alright? But you listen to me, only use what I teach you as a last resort. I can’t always be here to keep you safe, and you know that. So starting now, I’m gonna teach you how to defend yourself. Come on.

Holly: (Panicking) What?! No, dad!

(Private plane)

(Hanru and Jessica stand in the cockpit talking to the captain.)

Jessica: Don’t I know you from somewhere?

Hanru: You remember back in, I think ’08 or ’09 when I solve that Ms. Mable case in that suburban neighborhood?

Jessica: Oh yeah, I wonder how those guys are doing.

Hanru: Well when we were at the bus stop headed to the neighborhood, this man here, currently steering us to our destination, was the homeless man who offered us candy.

Kevin: Yo!

Jessica: And he’s a pilot now, I see.

Kevin: Was a military pilot; now retired and interestingly enough, homeless.

Jessica: What a noble duty.

Kevin: (Laughs) Duty.

Jessica: Oh nice.

(Airplane)

(On a public airplane, Ada and Erika sit right beside one another and Henry sits at the end seat daydreaming out of the window.)

Ada: How did it feel seeing your son again?

Erika: It was great. I only wish I had more time to spend with him. I’m thinking of going back sometime soon. I really miss him.

Ada: What are you gonna do about custody?

Erika: I guess we’ll figure all that out whenever I come back. The man who adopted him is very friendly to the idea of me disappearing and never coming back to visit him again.

(About two of three seats behind them, Yoko and Michelle are giggling and seem to be enjoying each other’s company. As they giggle, the teenage boy one row over and one seat in front of them, turns around and peaks back at them. They both freeze like two deer in headlights once eye-contact is made. He chuckles a bit and turns back around to listen to his iPod. Yoko and Michelle both look at each other and resume giggling.)

(Miami)

(LJ and Holly walk in an alleyway. A man with short curly blonde hair and a scruffy beard is leaning against the van he has parked in the middle of the alley. The man is seen eating sunflower seed shells and spitting them back out on the ground.)

Clay: Let’s make this quick, I’ve got deliveries to make. Hey wait…

LJ: What?

Clay: Aren’t you that girl whose dad got shot right in front of her?

LJ: Are you here to ask the girl questions, or do business?

Clay: Alright. (Opens up the back of the van) Your pistols and light-hands are, as you see here, displayed in front of you. If you prefer something with a bit of a bang, I’ve got the launchers under the seat- capable of a 12 round capacity. Shotguns are on the left; autos are on the right. Choose carefully.

LJ: What do you got for beginners?

Clay: You mean for the lady here? I’ve got a snub-nose and a Beretta with me on hand. Not many people are buying novice gear these days so I’m quite limited. (Spits out sunflower seeds)

LJ: (Nods) Alright. I’ll have to come by another time when you have a smaller selection.

Clay: Purchasing a beginner’s tool for the lady can’t be the only reason why you set this meet.

LJ: Level with me here, Clay. I need to take out an entire crew. I am gonna stir up some mess in the streets. I’ve still got some retirement left over from when I was working with Kaito- $30.000. What can I get with that?

Clay: Just who’s crew you plan on taking out exactly?

LJ: (Stares him in the eyes with intensity) Clay…

(LJ’s eyes say more than words, but Clay chooses not to accept his message.)

Clay: Now I’m gon’ ask you again: Whose crew you takin’ out?

LJ: Not yours. So you got nothing to worry about.

Clay: Now I need to know before I go selling you these guns.

LJ: The Gingerbread man’s crew.

Clay: Otis?

LJ: That’s him. After this, I’m out.

Clay: Then you don’t need guns; you need a crew. Do you got one?

LJ: Why all these questions all of a sudden? What happened to swift exchange between business-er and business-ee?

Clay: Cause word’s getting around that a crew is trying to start a turf war. I’m just a little cautious right now is all. I’ve got different crews buying guns from me left and right; not knowing whether these same firearms are gonna be used to kill one of my brothers.

LJ: I’m sure Kaito can hook me up with a crew.

Clay: I’ll tell you what. I’ll get some guys from my crew to help you out. The Gingerbread man has been stealing a lot of dough off the streets and having him taken out will open more doors for new clientele, if you know what I mean.

LJ: So you’ll help me out?

Clay: Sure thing. I owe you some favors anyway. But after this, we’re square.

LJ: Sure thing.

(Miami)

(Lee and Nicky are in a grocery store shopping near the fruits and vegetable section. A man is behind them about 13 feet keeping his distance from them but keeping a close eye. Lee and Nicky stop near the carrots.)

Lee: (Grabs a bag) As much as I used to jack off, carrots are like my best friends now. How about these?

Nicky: (Moody) Get whatever you want.

Lee: Alright! (Puts bag of carrots in the shopping basket) Let’s see what other ingredients catch our eyes.

Little boy: NO!

(Everyone in the area looks over at a young 7 year old boy screaming and throwing a fit near the bananas. His mother is standing next to him but seems very timid.)

Mother: Herbert! Herbert stop it, you’re embarrassing me…

Herbert: I want more bananas!

Mother: (Keeps her voice low) Herbert, I already told you, we can’t afford to spend money on unnecessary things. Mommy has responsibilities.

Herbert: I DON’T CARE! I WANT MORE BANANAS! (Pushes row off bananas off the rack and onto the floor)

Nicky: It’s just a banana; what’s the big deal?

Lee: I could think of a few reasons why. The kid looks like a fruit himself.

(Herbert yells at the top of his lungs until his face turns red.)

Lee: YO! Shut that kid up before I knock him upside the head with one of these cabbages!

Mother: I know he can be a bit rowdy, but most days he’s really a good kid… Most days…

Lee: (Walks up to the two of them) Yeah, I bet most days he gets whatever he wants right?

Mother: My skills as a mother has nothing to do with you. (Hugs her son)

Lee: Maybe if you popped your nipple out the boy’s mouth and roughed up his behind a little bit like a prisoner on Viagra, he wouldn’t be such a little brat!

Mother: (Defensive, yet timid) How dare you suggest I abuse my child. I would never do such a thing!

Lee: (Begins taking off belt) Well shoot, I’ll do it!

(Nicky grabs Lee’s arm and stops him from taking is belt off from around his waist.)

Nicky: Okay, honey, let’s leave the nice lady alone to suffer in peace with her demonic spawn. (Escorts Lee away)

Lee: Yeah! I bet her vagina is like a portal to hell!

(The mother covers her mouth in offense.)

Mother: Come on, baby; Let’s get away from these people. (Quickly walks away)

Lee: Promise me when we have a kid, we get to beat the brakes off him when he starts acting up like that!

Nicky: Okay, okay, look, calm down. Take a deep breath. Go to your happy place. Visualize me naked with whipped cream as censor bars.

Lee: Ah, that is nice. We should try that out. I’m gonna go get some whipped cream!

(Kaito’s mansion)

(Hanru and Jessica have both arrived at Kaito’s mansion. They are escorted inside by a butler and taken to the pool area where Kaito is. In nostalgia, Kaito hops out of his seat and heads over to Hanru.)

Kaito: Hey! My guardian angel! You finally made it! (Gives Hanru a huge hug)

Hanru: (Hugs him back) Hey, Kaito.

Kaito: (Stops hugging) Hey, look, your boy Lee went off to the store a few hours ago. They should be back at any second. Hey! Happy birthday to you, brother! Don’t think I’ve forgotten about you!

(Kaito’s phone rings. He answers it right away.)

Kaito: Hello?

Lee: Hey, Kaito, it’s me. Something bad happened…

(Grocery store parking lot)

(People are all outside of the store panicking. Police are scattered everywhere trying to put up yellow tape and keep down confusion and chaos. Lee and Nicky are standing next to the wall of the store nervous.)

Nicky: The wedding planner is scheduled to be at our house in 12 minutes. We can’t afford to waste anymore time here!

Lee: Alright, alright, uh… Here. (Reaches into grocery bag) Put this bottle between your legs and squeeze the water out.

Nicky: What th- NO! Be serious about this!

Lee: I am. Keep your voice down. Squeeze the water out of the bottle to make it seem like your water broke. If you’re going into labor, the cops cannot keep us here.

Nicky: I guess that could work.

(Lee and Nicky walk up to a police officer standing by the yellow tape. Nicky is emphasizing her breathing to create the illusion of her going into labor.)

Lee: Excuse me, officer.

Cop: (Holds out hand) Stand back.

Lee: My wife is going into labor. Her water just broke and we seriously need to get to the hospital right now.

Cop: (Talks through his radio) I’m gonna need an escort ambulance here immediately. There’s a woman here going into labor.

Paramedic: Roger that, Scotty!

Cop: An ambulance will be here to pick you up shortly. In the meantime, I need you to stay out of our way while we contain the situation.

Lee: Situation? What situation? The situation is right here! My wife is having a baby!

Cop: I’m gonna need you to calm down. There was a shooting here moments ago and so far the people we’ve questioned have stated that a young boy and a pregnant blonde were causing a ruckus with the victim and her child.

Lee: Look, we had nothing to do with that.

Cop: Sit tight. An ambulance will be here momentarily to take your wife to the hospital.

Lee: What? What about me.

Nicky: (Pretending to be in pain) AHH, Baby, hurry up, please, it feels like this baby’s about to burst out of my stomach!

Lee: Please, just let us pass! We really need to get to the hospital!

Cop: Sir, do you suffer from a case of mental retardation?

Lee: Do I- no! What the heck?!

Cop: So then you can properly comprehend what I’m saying to you?

Lee: Uh… Yeah…

Cop: So when I say get out of my face and stay out of our way while we do our job, you understand what that means? (Tries to turn his back)

Lee: Whoa, whoa. (The cops turns to face Lee) You listen to me you half-breed, doughnut eating pig, I don’t care about your stupid job or your rank in this society. We still have freedom. My wife and I didn’t hurt anyone! Now we have important things to attend to so you will let us through!

(The cop laughs in Lee’s face and turns his back to him. Lee’s eyes begin to grow within a silent rage.)

Nicky: (Nervous) Okay, baby, come on, let’s go.

(Nicky grabs Lee’s arm and begins pulling him away. After walking a few steps back, he aggressively pulls his hand away from Nicky, turns around and reaches into his pocket. Lee takes out a black pistol with a silencer attached to it and without saying a word, shoots the cop in the back of the head. The cop falls to the ground twitching. Lee stares down at the cop in hatred as he points his gun at the cop. Nicky quickly grabs Lee’s arm and pulls him away. She runs all the way to their black vehicle while firmly grasping Lee’s arm.)

(Ragged Apartment)

(In a very poor neighborhood, Ada and Ronda are seen walking through a small hallway.)

Ada: With a man like our father, you would think he would be watched 24/7 by special agents.

Ronda: Please, our father is a special agent.

(The two of them stop in front of a blue wooden door. Ada knocks three times.)

Ronda: (Scowls) Really?

(An old Italian man in slippers, sweat pants, and a white muscle shirt is walking toward the door.)

Old man: Who the frek is it?

(The man opens the door a bit, but the chain on the lock keeps it from opening up any wider.)

Ronda: Hey, pop.

Pop: (Shocked) Ronda?

(He slams the door and opens it back after unlocking the chain. He is shocked to see two Rondas- One with black hair and one with Blonde hair.)

Pop: W- Ada?

Ada: Hi, dad. How’ve you been?

Pop: Great, now go away. (Slams door in their face)

(Ronda quickly opens in back up and walks in. Pop ignores her and continues to walk into the living room.)

Ronda: It’s nice to see you’re still a bitter old Pop.

Pop: (Sits on his badly damaged sofa) It’s nice to see you’re still a stubborn brat. What do you want; I’m watching the game?

(Ada closes the door behind her, and then stands next to Ronda.)

Ronda: We came to see you, dad. We heard you got out early, so we’re here making sure those studs in the joint didn’t hurt your rear end too bad. (Chuckles)

Pop: (Sarcasm for sentence) Haha, you’re hilarious. Look if you came to insult me, I ain’t got time to listen to it; I’m busy watching something.

(Ronda sees a bat on the side of the couch. She looks at her father for a second. Ronda grabs the bat and busts her father’s old T.V. with it. After hitting it the first time and making it fall off the stand, she smashes it again.)

Pop: (Quickly stands up) HEY, HEY, HEY!

(Ronda smashes it three more times.)

Pop: What are ya doing?! Stop it!

Ronda: (Aggressive) Your face is next if you don’t sit down and shut up!

(Pop lightly smacks his lips and sits back down on his sofa.)

Ronda: Get over here, sister!

(Ada nervously, but quickly, goes up to Ronda.)

Ronda: Yes, Ada, this is our dad. Oh and I look Chinese-American, but really we’re Chinese Italian. Our father here is Italian. Our mother was Chinese. We take after her in looks.

Ada: I was unaware of that.

Ronda: And you!

Pop: What?! You’re gonna threaten to break my legs or something?! Been there, done that! What else ya got?

Ronda: We’re not here to threaten you.

(Ronda grabs Ada and lightly shoves her toward their father.)

Ronda: The last time you saw your youngest daughter, she was standing over you with a gun barrel in your face. Do you remember; she shot you trying to protect me while you were busy putting your fists up to my face! She wasn’t even sure whether or not you survived that day and she never bothered to know. But I knew. I watched you for years while you slowly severed all your connections to the mob and killed everyone who you thought would come looking for you after you stole all those millions of dollars. Congrats, papa. You made it out of the game alive. Mom is gone, so now all you have to deal with are two precocious daughters! (Shrugs) Are you gonna take us out too, daddy?

Pop: I-

Ronda: (Angrily runs up to him ad shoves the bat in his face) SHUT UP! I’m talking now. (Stares him deep into his eyes for about 4 seconds in disgust before walks back to her previous spot)

(Ada seems a bit frightened. She remains silent to see where the situation goes.)

Ronda: (Sniffs and rubs her nose) We still love you, dad. Despite all you’ve done for us, we still love you. (Peaks over at Ada, and then back to her father) Ada, what do you have to say to this man?

Ada: (Stares away from her father the entire time) … I have nothing to say to him. He is lower than scum to me. He is an elephant in my life that needs to be forgotten or put down. Or both. I’m done here, Ronda. (Turns around and walks away)

Pop: Yeah, good riddance to you too!

(Ronda smashes a vase in with the wooden baseball bat.)

Pop: Hey, hey, whoa!

Ronda: Shut up! (Runs up to Pop)

Pop: (Stands up) No, that’s enough! (Snatches bat away and shoves her away) You can’t just barge into my apartment like this; busting up my things! If you wanna let off some steam, fine; do it somewhere else, but not here! This is my home for crying out loud! Haven’t I at least taught you about respecting other people’s property?! Get outta my house, right now!

Ronda: (Stares her father in the eyes) No. If you want me outta here, you better throw me out. And I do mean that literally. I’m not going anywhere.

(Ada is leaning against the wall that separates the living room from the kitchen. Her arms are crossed and she stares down at the floor on edge.)

Pop: (Looks at Ronda, then Ada, then back to Ronda again) Fine. Then I’m calling the police.

Ronda: Go ahead. That gives us plenty of time to catch up on old times while we wait.

Pop: (Smirks and chuckles) Ah, you kids. You darn kids. (Stares at Ada) You’re a real pain in my pants, you know that?! Truth is, I don’t have a phone. So here’s the deal- the two of you take me out to someplace nice to eat, and we can talk things out there. Make sure you pick someplace fancy, because after our meal, we’re done talking for good.

(Middle-Class neighborhood)

(A young boy is seen riding his bike down the street. He passes a two-story house which Henry nervously stands in front of. As usual, he seems nervous and timid about something. He walks through the lawn of dead grass and knocks on the door. After a few seconds, a teenage girl with long black hair answers. The two of them are shocked to see one another.)

Henry: (Nervously smiles) I see you’re still living in this old house. (Chuckles)

Cecile: Henry… (Quickly gives him a hug)

Henry: Hey, Sissy, how’ve you been?

(Henry and Cecile are talking in the living room minutes later drinking tea together. Henry is nervously eating a box of salted crackers.)

Cecile: About umm… maybe 7 or 8 years ago, back in ’08 or ’09, I was caught cheating with my boyfriend Travis.

(A flashback shows two teenage boys playing basketball together.)

Cecile: Travis was someone I loved dearly, but our other friend Joseph could offer me what Travis couldn’t. And I made the mistake by being with them both of them.

(A flashback shows Joey raising his hands up in the dark rain while Travis points a gun at him crying.)

Cecile: Travis killed Joseph at the basketball court the night Joey confessed to Travis about he and I being together. Travis came here and things got rough. But I also met this other kid named Hanru who was illegally investigation Joseph’s murder. And he found out what school we all went to and he was able to access a digital copy of our yearbook and he made connections and found me and was able to save me from Travis. I was greatly injured when he saved my life, but I’m eternally grateful for him. I almost committed suicide.

Henry: Yeah, this kid seems to get around, doesn’t he?

Cecile: You know him?

Henry: Not personally, but I know of him.

Cecile: He and I kept in contact awhile, but we recently lost contact a few months ago.

Henry: Yeah, he’s… He’s living in Chicago now with his… Aunt… I guess she would be considered? I don’t know. His adopted Uncle’s girlfriend. Who was actually my partner a while back when we were detectives.

Cecile: So, you were a detective? That’s great.

Henry: Cecile… I wanna be here for you more often. I was thinking about moving in here with you actually. The house is paid for and utilities are being paid. You’re staying here in this big house for free alone. Our family is already divided. We’ve lost a brother and both parents. Our other brother is out missing somewhere and our other sister Candice is… How is Candice?

Cecile: She’s not well. Not at all. Have you talked to Cousin Debbie yet?

Henry: Don’t even get me started on Debbie. The Hanru kid you’re talking about actually brewed a romance with our dear cousin. She currently lives in Las Vegas.

Cecile: Wow, small world. Travis lives in Vegas. We still talk from time to time. Each time, sooner than the last time we talk. Travis feels so bad for what he did to Joseph. He still hasn’t forgiven himself, but he still wakes up every day and continues to live.

Henry: Any more boyfriends after him?

Cecile: Uh… (Shrugs) yeah, a few here and there, but nothing too serious.

Henry: (Nods) So what do say to me moving in? Maybe we could get Candice to move in too or maybe we could find Ernie and get the family back together.

Cecile: (Smiles) I’m always up for whatever. But… I know where Ernie is. Ernie’s been the one paying all the bills here. He’s been the one supporting me this whole time.

(Kaito’s mansion)

(Kaito very aggressively throws Lee in the pool. Kaito is heated with rage.)

Kaito: You shoot a cop in the head in a public place; in front of my pregnant sister! There’s only so many chances you get before waking up in a coffin under the ocean! You’re pressing your luck, you little turd!

(Lee is on the opposite side of the pool holding himself on the ledge facing away from Kaito and everyone behind him.)

Nicky: Kaito, it’s okay, I’m fine.

Kaito: Oh you’re fine?! YOU’RE FINE?! Really?! Okay, that’s great! But what about the hurricane this little punk has stirred our direction?! The cops are going to be looking for his ugly mug everywhere now! He can’t be seen in public. The fact that you both got here without leading any cops is a miracle! You probably wouldn’t have made it through this situation if I didn’t have Tim looking out for you!

(Timothy stands next to Hanru and Jessica behind Kaito.)

Tim: Just doing my job, amigos.

Kaito: Nicky, the longer the two of you are together, the more flaws I see in this relationship. I managed to become a successful mobster and keep you and mom out of harm’s way, but this kid ruins all chances for you to live a normal life and raise a normal family. The wedding is tomorrow but I say call it off. This little punk isn’t worth spending the rest of your life with. I need to do some yoga! (Walks away)

Timothy: Just to be clear, Nicky, Lee didn’t shoot that woman in the store, right?

Nicky: He was with me the entire time, accept for when he went to get whipped cream, but for sure I know he didn’t kill her.

Lee: (Gets out of the pool and sits on the ledge) It wasn’t me who did it. It was that cop. He was in the store and I saw him walk outside and shoot woman through his coat. He had a gun hidden in his pocket.

(Kaito walks back outside to the pool area.)

Kaito: Breaking news story: A young African-American shot and killed an innocent lady at a nearby Wal-Mart for having an annoying kid. When police began questioning suspects, this same African-American shot and killed a police officer in the back of the head, gravely injuring him. Other cops retaliated and shot not only the African –American but his present “Gang members” as well.

Lee: What? No, I was there! There was no black guy involved! Even the cop I show was white.

Kaito: I just saw it on the breaking news.

Hanru: So are you telling me that these cops purposely set up a scenario where they could publically execute a black guy and get away with it?

Kaito: No one saw Lee do it, so cops could blame this on anyone. Looks like you just got away with murder. (Walks away)

(Garage)

(LJ and Clay are walking side-by-side toward the entrance of a car repair shop. There are men all around the lot glancing over at the two of them. They all seem to be bikers wearing the same uniform.)

Clay: Now listen to me, you keep your mouth shut and stay close to me. The boys around here aren’t too friendly with… people of your ethnicity.

LJ: You mean black people?

Clay: (Stops walking) What did I just say?

LJ: Sorry.

(The two of them resume walking inside.)

Clay: Look down; don’t make eye contact. We’re heading straight to the back.

(Clay opens up an “employees only” door at the back of the store and holds the door open for LJ to go in first. Clay looks back into the garage and all of the employees working on cars stare at him. He raises the back of his hand to them and connects both his ring finger and his thumb. His employees all get back to work instantly. Clay goes into the back room and closes the door behind him. LJ is nervously looking around the room he’s in. It seems to be a locker/junk room. In the center is a large round table with cards, beer, and brown boxes on top. Lockers are connected to the walls. Car parts and junk are scattered all around the sandy floor of the room.)

LJ: You belong to a biker gang? I never knew that.

Clay: A white supremacy biker gang actually. But not all of us are haters of the darkies. But majority of us are.

LJ: And you didn’t bother telling me this before you brought me here?

Clay: Look, I may be the boss but if those men out there saw you with a white daughter, they would not have hesitated to put the two of you down back in the lot. These boys don’t play around when it comes to killing you people. That’s why I told you to drop your daughter off with whoever. You’d at least have a chance leaving here alive.

LJ: I guess the proper thing to do is to thank you, I guess… This whole thing really stirs me up.

Clay: They smell fear, so I advise you put on a one heck of a poker face and show no weakness.

(The door opens and a white guy, a Mexican, an Irish guy, and another white guy, all walk into the room, and boy do they look heated. They all silently sit down. LJ sits at the end seat. Clay sits at the opposite side of the table.)

Irish: What is this about, Clay? And it better be a good explanation.

Clay: Business, my brothers.

(They all turn to face Clay.)

Clay: Hatred has been our friend over the years when it comes to killing enemies, but restraint, patience, team work, and tactical trading is what makes us strong as a whole. Now this man here- (Points his hand at LJ) has decided to assist us in killing Otis’ crew. Now as we all know, Otis’ crew are filled with nothing but blacks, so there should be no moral conflict here with any of you about killing them.

Mexican: (Nudges at LJ) So why the darkie?

Clay: He’s the one hiring our crew for the job.

Irish: No.

Clay: Excuse me?

Irish: I think I speak for everyone here when I say he and his money, are unwanted here. Why would he want his own people dead?

Mexican: He’s right. I say it’s a trap.

Clay: For those of you who puss out, you get nothing. But whoever grows some hair on their balls and does this job, gets a percentage of whatever we make killing those jungle bunnies. (Raises hand) Now all in favor for doing this job?

(Irish stands up and looks Clay straight in the eyes.)

Irish: We are your crew and we are loyal to you, but this isn’t a clean deal. Now I’m willing to forget this whole thing ever happened, so long as you never bring his face around here again.

LJ: So because I’m black, you won’t accept this deal.

Mexican: Shut up, Nigger; you’ll speak when we say you can.

Clay: Alright, now, that’s enough of that.

LJ: (Stands up) You people disgust me.

Irish: That’s it. Your boy crossed the line.

(Everyone pulls their pistols out on LJ.)

Clay: Looks like my boys aren’t willing to help you, son. I’m sorry. Maybe you should have hired your boss. Mr. Zonoda.

(Every one began squeezing the trigger to kill LJ, but stopped once they heard Kaito’s name.)

Irish: This man works for Kaito?

Clay: Oh, did I forget to mention that?

(Irish sits down and everyone puts their guns away.)

Clay: This man is Kaito’s hacker. He works for him directly. We are just his underdogs. If you kill this man here, Kaito will kill all of us. He knows our names, our families, and histories.

Mexican: That changes everything.

Irish: No, it doesn’t. We’re still not making this deal. It just ain’t happenin’.

(Clay and LJ are driving in LJ’s SUV minutes later. LJ is the one driving. The car is silent.)

LJ: I can’t believe there are people like that still alive in this world.

Clay: Of course there are. Once something gets introduced in this world, it never fades away, it just changes its form. You think the Nazis are gone? What about the Black Panthers? Freedom fighters, Templars, racism, hatred. No. the world is just one big ball moving in a circle; repeating cycles over and over again. Just as life evolves, so does the cycle of the world.

(The car gets silent once again for 8 seconds.)

Clay: I know what you’re thinking. You wanna go back and kill all those men, because of how much hatred dwells inside them. Your love for your people and humanity is what’s making you hate those men you met back there. I understand that. Usually hatred originates from some sort of love or infatuation. But let me tell you something- even if you did kill every member of my crew, racism would still exist in this world no matter what. So in the end, your efforts would only be in vain.

(The room is dark. A light begins to flicker. The light becomes solid and reveals the dark room to be a small shed. A woman with short dirty blond hair is tied up by her ankles, wrists, and mouth. She sits in the corner of a shed with tears dripping from her eyes. An old man in a long brown trench coat stands over the woman. She looks up at him and only sees a dark figure and the light bulb glaring behind him. He rests on one knew and presses his face up close to hers.)

Claude: You should have chosen a better lifestyle, Meukie. (Grins) Oh I’m sorry. I meant to say Janet. (Removes gag ball from her mouth and wipes the slobber off of her face.)

Janet: (Frightened) What do you want from me…?

Claude: I wanna see if you can pass judgment against the man who created you. (Gently strokes her hair) No one is coming to save you. I need you to know this, Meukie.)

(Janet gasps in fear and begins to freak out.)

Claude: (Says calmly) Hey, hey, listen. (Holds her head still and makes eye contact with her) It is essential to your survival that you pay very close attention to me. Whether you leave here alive or in pieces, depends entirely on how you’ve lived your life. Now… (Releases Janet and slowly stands over her) Let your test begin.

TO BE CONTINUED…

[“The Wanting” by “Exitmusic”]
♠ ♠ ♠
1. The guards tell Hanru their boss runs operations in 4 American states and Cuba. Cuba being across the border from Miami. The other states were main locations from the series which were Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, and the fourth one being possibly New York, on the count that the original Hanru Sazuki was based in New York City before being altered to Miami.

2. When in the grocery store, the timid mother and the boy Herbert were reference characters to the comedy series Boondocks. The origin scene can be seen near the beginning of the 3rd episode from the first season: “Guess ho’s comin’ to dinner”.

3. When Nicky tells Lee to envision her body naked with whip cream as censor bars, this was a reference to the movie “Varsity Blues”.

4. Cecile was in the first Volume of Hanru Sazuki in chapter 2 I believe. She was originally intended to be Hanru’s lover and her name was at one point supposed to be Daphne.

5. Lee shooting that cop in the head was not originally planned. This storyline didn’t need to be continued so I ended it at the pool conversation with Kaito. The fact that Lee shot the police officer was not of pure rage. The woman of the story was actually shot by the police whom Lee shot. This was added to give Lee reasoning for his action. However, Lee explaining the reason for shooting the cop was deleted. Not only that, but the fact that an innocent African-American male was framed wasn’t just because. The cop was actually set up to get killed in the first place and an unknown African-American was to take the blame. However, Lee shooting the cop prevented this entire story arc to be told.

6. The song “The Wanting” by Exitmusic is at the end of this chapter.