Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Four Chapter Thirty-Nine: Reflection (Winter 2014)

Hanru Narrating: Let’s take a moment to reflect who we’ve become today and how we got here. Are we defined by who we think we are, or by the origins of our own morality? Are we as men, born naturally physically superior to woman to seek spiritual fulfilment; are women born spiritually superior to men just to seek physical fulfilment? In the end, this question seems contradicting. Men are said to be born more superior physically, but in reality, women’s bodies can handle more pain, sustain life, endure traumatic changes, flex easily, and are more appealing to the eyes of the male of the species. Women are said to be spiritually superior to men which makes them complicated and easily develop additional senses such as maternal instincts, keen sense of judgment, etc. However, men in fact have a better sense of the spiritual side to this world. Men understand boundaries of respect, restraint, chain of command, neutralization, Balance, leadership, honor, etc. With all of that being said, our greatest strengths lie within the exact opposite of what we’re naturally born into, but on what scale is this measured on…? When we look in the mirror, who do we see? Our growth, or our origin? Which defines us- our root, or the fruits we grow from our own tree of life?

(Soft beautiful piano music is playing throughout the beautifully Christmas furnished home. 5 stockings of different colors hang over the mantle of the lit fireplace. The fireplace makes a very faint, yet home inviting popping sound. There are about 26 presents all under a big, fully decorated green Christmas tree which sits in the family room a few feet away from the living room fireplace. The rich textured red and gold furniture is specifically positioned in the living room area to give it a warm family feel to it. The beautiful snow continues to fall and gently smack against the window. The beautiful piano music playing is a song named “Clair De Lune”. In the center of the living room is the glass table decorated with many glass ornaments and bowls of Christmas-coated candy. North from it is a small couch displayed under the window, East is the same style of couch, only bigger, South is a small chair of the same style, and West is the fireplace. The old man, Claude sits down on his couch wearing tan Khaki pants, green socks and a red Christmas sweater with snowflakes, ornaments, and reindeer on in. Janet is wearing the same shirt except it is green and has the same designs on it. Her socks are red, her blonde is wet and it air drying. She is wearing blue jean shorts which barely cover her up below. She and Claude are both standing in front of the fireplace of the living room holding mugs of hot chocolate in their hands. Janet seems a bit out of it. She looks like she’s been terrified to the point where she’s emotionally numbed.)

Claude: Janet?

(Janet quickly snaps out of her day dream and looks at Claude.)

Claude: Have a seat please.

(Janet sits down on the chair and Claude sits on the big couch next to Janet.)

Claude: (Takes a long wheezy deep breath and stares at Janet) Are you ready?

Janet: … To die…? No.

Claude: Are you ready to talk about what brought you here?

(A flash shows Janet walking into Claude’s house with ropes tied around her wrists. Moments pass; she falls and smacks the side of her face on the stairs. Claude grabs her by the shirt and gently helps her back to her feet. Moments pass and she lies naked in the bath tub. Her expression is very plain. Claude sits in a wooden chair beside her. He reaches into the bathtub and pulls out a giant sponge. He begins gently scrubbing Janet’s body with soap and water. Time passes once again. Janet is sitting on the toilet alone, handcuffed. Minutes pass; Janet and Claude are in the mirror washing Janet’s hair. The two of them begin to eat chicken casserole together. Janet seems unwilling to eat her food, but Claude insists. It is dark out and Janet blankly stands out on the back porch watching the snowflakes drop from the sky. Claude comes out back and wraps a blanket around her to keep her warm. The two of them then walk back inside. Janet and Claude are sitting on the couch once again.)

Claude: Janet?

Janet: (distanced) Huh…?

Claude: I asked you a question. What brought you here?

Janet: (Out of it) I… (Stares down blankly at the floor)

Claude: Just sit back and listen.

(Claude just slowly takes a sip of tea. A blonde teenage girl is seen walking down the sidewalk in a very large upper-middle class neighborhood. Walking beside her is a very handsome teenage boy wearing black jeans and a white muscle shirt. His hair is slicked all the way back with grease and he has a comb handy in his pocket at all times. The two teenagers seem to be in a very good mood, although the girl seems very shy.)

Girl: Thanks, Jake. I really appreciate you walking me home. It gets dangerous around these parts at night. (Lowers her voice a bit) Plus we just recently had this African-American couple move in down the street, and coincidently, there was a robbery around the corner. Two men in masks did it.

Jake: Hey, no worries, miss, if anything at all happens to you, the boys and I got your back.

Girl: Oh, thank you, Jake, I feel safe. And you can call me Jackie by the way.

(Both stop walking in front of a white picket fence.)

Jackie: Well this is me.

Jake: (Looks at her house and nods) This is you? We’ll rock on. This is a nice nest you got here.

Jackie: Yeah, it’s a real Ace. (Giggles) but I may be moving soon. The universe is calling my name to be a star. Oh isn’t it just wonderful to dream? Do you ever dream, Jake? Oh please tell me you do. (Stands closer to him and looks him straight in the eyes.)

Jake: Oh, yeah. I’m a big time dreamer, baby. Nothing as huge as being a movie star, but I wanna do something to change my community, you know? I wanna do something big!

Jackie: I’ve seen you in chemistry and gym. You’re very good with whatever it is you’re doing! I believe you can do anything you set your mind to, and I mean that. That talent comes rare these days, and it’ll take you far! Just something to think about. (Nervously stares down at her feet) Sorry, I talk too much.

(Jake smiles and gives her a surprise kiss. He holds it for a few seconds. When they stop, Jackie is left more nervous than ever. Jake just bites his lip and gives her a friendly smile.)

Jackie: Oh um… (Nervously tries to straighten her dress) I’m sorry… I, get nervous in these kinds of situations, forgive me.

Jake: I’ll be by to pick you up tomorrow night. The boys and I are hangin’ at the soda shack, if that flies straight with you?

Jackie: (Smiles in excitement) I’m amped for it! Can’t wait. (Glances at her house and sees someone peeking out the window) I-I should get going now. I’ve got lots of homework I best be getting to.

Jake: Sure thing. You gotta keep those smarts up, and show these Ash people what great a mind ya got.

Jackie: I’ll be seeing you, Jake.

(Jackie walks inside and places her books on the table. Her entire mood changes to less friendly, and more serious. An old man sits in front of the window reading a newspaper.)

Man: Who’s the boy?

Jackie: Uh… (Faces away from the man and quickly takes her shoes off) No one, just a boy from school. He’s taking me out with his friends tomorrow.

Man: Oh, he is, is he?

Jackie: (Slowly turns around to face the man) Yeah. Is that… okay, with you?

Man: Just as long as you keep it in your pants, I’m fine with it. (Flips newspaper)

Jackie: I have more respect for myself to do stuff like that.

Man: (Blows her off) Mmhmm.

Jackie: I’ll be in the back.

(Jackie stands in a doorway watching a young 8 year old girl lie in bed with her back facing her. Jackie cracks a smile. The little girl rolls over and gasps in excited.)

Little Girl: (Excited but whispering) Mommy!

(Jackie quickly closes the door and runs up to her daughter to give her a big hug. The two of them are talking in a low tone of voice.)

Jackie: Hey, angel. How ya feeling today? You doing okay?

Little Girl: (Nods yes and says silent but enthusiastic) I feel a little sick today, but I I’m a big girl!

Jackie: (Smiles) You’re a big girl?

Little Girl: Yes! I’m a big girl.

Jackie: Okay, big girl. Tell me your symptoms. (Places hand on the girl’s forehead) Do you have a fever? Are you feeling warm? Yeah?

Little Girl: A little. (Coughs twice)

Jackie: (Worried) That sounded like a dry cough. Does it hurt when you cough?

Little Girl: Mmm… no…

Jackie: I know you’re a big girl, sweetie, but if something hurts, you’ve gotta tell me.

Little Girl: It hurts a little bit sometimes.

Jackie: (Grabs her daughters hand and rubs it) Okay, baby, I’ll get you some medicine soon. (Kisses her forehead) Okay?

Little Girl: Okay.

Jackie: Good, you hang in there. Momma’s gotta get some work done. (Stands up)

Little Girl: Mommy…?

Jackie: What is it, Sweetie?

Little Girl: When can we go back home?

Jackie: … (Slowly kneels down to her daughter and prepares herself for an emotional blowback) We’re never going back home, sweetie.

Little Girl: But, daddy?!

Jackie: Shhh, I know, I know, stay quiet.

Little Girl: But will I ever see daddy again?

Jackie: … No, sweetheart. You won’t see daddy again.

Little Girl: Why? Is it because of that man in the other room?

(Jackie stammers her words and cannot give her daughter an explanation.)

Little Girl: Is he my Grandpa?

Jackie: No…

Little Girl: My Great Grandpa?

Jackie: (Trying to hold in her tears) No.

Little Girl: My Unc-

Jackie: No, Janet, no. He’s not related to us in any way.

Little Girl: I don’t like that man, mommy. He makes you sad when he’s around. (Stretches her right arm and wipes Jackie’s tears) I miss the old mommy who didn’t cry. When daddy was around, you didn’t cry.

Jackie: I know, baby, I know, but-

Little Girl: Sometimes when I wake up to use the bathroom, I hear you in the house crying.

Jackie: (Wipes her face and takes a moment to herself) You- you don’t have to worry about, me; mommy’s fine. Okay, sweetie? (Smiles at her)

(The little Girl just lies there staring at her mom in silence.)

Jackie: J… Janet… I don’t want you to worry about me, okay? For now, just worry about kid stuff like, what kind of boy you wanna kiss at school.

Janet: Eww! Gross, mom! Boys are ewwie and smelly.

Jackie: (Laughs and wipes her face) You say that now, but one day you’re going to find a boy who makes you happy, like how daddy made me happy. You’re gonna experience a lot of things growing up. Mostly boy experiences. Uh… (Wipes eyes more) Just remember, that no matter what, you are always the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world. (Smiles)

Janet: (Smiles) But how can I be the prettiest, when you already are? I can’t beat you in pretty, mommy.

Jackie: (Chuckles) You always cheer me up.

(Janet opens her arms and Jackie leans in for a hug.)

Janet: I love you, mommy.

Jackie: I love you too, Honey.

Janet: Mommy, I need the bathroom.

Jackie: Oh, okay.

(Jackie walks around the bed and grabs a big folded object from the corner. She placed it on the side of the bed while Janet desperately tries to scoot toward it. Jackie unfolds the big object and she grabs Janet.)

Jackie: Okay, you ready?

Janet: Yeah.

Jackie: 1, 2, 3, Lift! Here we go!

(Jackie puts Janet on the big object. The object is revealed to be a wheelchair.)

Jackie: Okay, you all comfy?

Janet: Yeah!

Jackie: Alright! All aboard, the Janet express! First stop: restroom, and if she feels like it, second stop, kitchen for some ice cream!

Janet: Ice cream!

Jackie: Hold on to your butt! (Gets behind the wheelchair and pushes it a bit fast for Janet to have fun)

(In the Present time, Janet and Claude are sitting back in Claude’s living room.)

Janet: (Sucking up her tears) I forgot all about that conversation with my mother. (Sniffs again) Was the man in the living room you?

Claude: No. Your Great Grandmother was a mail order bride from another country. Because your family did not originate from this country, there were many problems with continuing your blood-line. That man was a relative of the man who ordered your great grandmother.

Janet: How do you know all of this about me?

(Giant Church)

(The church inside is huge, and there are flowers and pedals and white sheets everywhere. All over the entire church are purple and white decorations and about 198 people are sitting out in the rows. Lee stands face-to-face holding Nicky’s hands at the altar. The two of them are smiling passionately at one another. Lee is wearing a black tuxedo and Nicky is wearing a white and purple gown.)

Priest: Do you have the ring?

(Hanru, standing behind Lee, hands Lee the wedding ring for him to put on Nicky’s finger. He holds her hand and slides it on.)

Lee: (Takes a deep breath) Never in my life, could I imagine I’d end up here. Especially at my age. Um… I will forever cherish you and everything about you for always and eternity. In life you are my partner and I love you and in death, I will still always love you and… I’m sorry my vows aren’t super romantic, but I… I love you and… I seriously love you to death… This is really happening. This is pretty huge. You know, you look at these things on TV and see them in magazines and you hear about them, but they’re nothing like the real thing. Nowhere close. I’m sweating from all my crevasses, I’m tingling all over, my heart is about to explode outta my chest, but in a good way. Every feeling I get from you is a wonderful feeling and even if sometimes we have these little fights or we start getting on each other’s nerves, you are worth going through those things. You are worth all of them… I love you…

Nicky: I had a difficult time picking out a dress for today. It’s not because of the seemingly obvious reason poking outta my gut right now. (Everyone chuckles) White is a color most worn in weddings, but it symbolizes virgin. I’m obviously not a virgin. (Chuckles) but I wanted to do something more. Blue represents peace and unity, green represents new life, pink represents innocence and youth, and purple represents royalty, wealth, and nobility. I chose to wear purple for you, because as of this day and for every day we spend together, we will always be wealthy in love, every characteristic about us will be loved and accepted, and you are the king of my world, as I am your queen…

Priest: Lee-

Lee: I do.

Priest: Ni-

Nicky: I do!

Priest: Then by the powers vested in me, you may now do the thing.

(Lee and Nicky both rush into one another and passionately kiss in a tight embrace. Everyone stands and cheers. Hanru is the only one not cheering but he is smiling. He looks over at Jessica and sees she’s not cheering either. She’s just staring at him smiling.)

(Restaurant)

(Ada, Ronda, and their Pop are eating at a fancy restaurant. Ada is eating salad, Ronda is eating a steak, and Pop is eating pasta.)

Pop: So, I’m here. What is it you’d like to say to me?

Ada: How about you start apologizing?

Pop: (Bangs his fist against the table in anger) You seriously want me to apologize?! Fine! I’m sorry! Ya happy now?! You know I’ve done some messed up things in my days living on this earth, and I regret doing none of them. But that isn’t the case for you two. You two are my children- you’re my seeds, you came from me! I will always love the two of you. What, do you feel as if I robbed you of something?! What did I rob you of?! From what I understand, you grew into a fine young woman. You’re smoking hot, just like your mother, you grew up to be just like her. You were a cop for a short time, which was a great thing. I’m really proud of you for that, and now you have a family. You can’t have babies on your own so you adopted, which is exactly what your mother would do. She wouldn’t let anything stop her from getting what she wanted. (Calms down and lowers voice) I was not there to watch you two grow up, and after your mother died, I got so frustrated at the fact that she was gone, and the two of you were becoming more and more like her everyday.

Ada: Is that why you abused us?

Pop: Yes. (Swallows) I wasn’t a good father, and I never will be, and I’m sorry I can’t repair the damaged bridge between us; only you can do that. Remove your feelings for a moment and ask yourself what you want from me. What do you really want?

Ada: I don’t know what I want from you. You disgust me. I don’t want anything from you.

Pop: Before you can hate something, you have to love it first, or so that saying goes with most things. But if you really didn’t care about me then… (Shrugs) You wouldn’t care about me. But you’re hear eating with me and you admit that you hate me. Why do you hate me?

Ada: Because of what you did to us as children!

Pop: And you think you would’ve been better off staying with me? With all the stuff I was involved with, you think your life would have been better?

Ada: At least there was the possibility!

Pop: Stop worrying about what could have happened! Maybe it would’ve been better, maybe it would’ve been worse, who knows? If you girls stayed with me, at some point, I would have probably have died trying to protect you from gangsters drive-by-ing our house! Whatever could have happened didn’t and what happened, did! You are who you are today because of something that happened when you were younger! You are a grown woman, and you have the choice of whether or not to hold on to this grudge you have against me for the rest of your life, or count the blessing that came from the chaos in your life. I’m willing to be here and try to be a dad to you girls, but it’s only too late, if you’re not willing to accept what happened and let me back in. I understand accepting this is not easy. You’re afraid and don’t know what to do or how to feel, and you’re trying to keep yourself emotionally secure. Well stop it. Because all that emotional security is doing, is wasting time that could be channeled into something positive or evolutionary.

Ada: I can’t just accept you back as my father.

Ronda: (Wraps her arm around Ada) Sure you can. Day by day… Like I did. Sometimes misery brings you happiness if you’re willing to accept it for what it is.

(An Indian man in a suit comes by.)

Kakashka: Hello, I’m Mr. Kakashka. I’m the owner here. Is everything alright?

Pop: Everything was fine until your towel-head wearing butt came over here killing the mood.

Kakashka: I am truly sorry, sir. Can I get you anything to make up for your inconvenience?

Pop: Yeah, get me another glass of water please, and a chocolate cake. Bring two slices, and bring one vanilla. Don’t worry, I’ll pay for it so hold the spit please.

Kakashka: Yes, right away sir.

Pop: And as long as the cake’s good; I’ll keep down the noise.

(Loft)

(Two Columbian men are sitting on two red beanbags eating a deluxe bag of chips, while a sketchy Caucasian man wearing a white muscle shirt is painting on a large canvas a few feet away from them.)

Juan: Ah, I need to pee. Esteban, open your mouth.

Esteban: You put your dick anywhere near my face and I will slap in the face with mine. Do not think I am bluffing! I tried it out with Sofia the other night and I enjoyed it.

Juan: You’re still with that hussy?

Esteban: She turned her life around. Give her a chance.

Juan: The only thing she turned around were her but cheeks so other guys could have their chance with her.

Esteban: See, why you gotta be so rude? This is my wife we’re talking about.

Juan: I’m sure we’re not the only ones talking about your wife. She’s probably being bent over by your co-workers right now having them screaming her name.

(Esteban glares at Juan for a few seconds. He reaches into the bag of chips and throws a chip at Juan’s face. Juan reaches into the bag and throws one at Esteban’s forehead.)

Esteban: What’s the matter with you?! I could have losen an eye!

Juan: You’re blind anyway if you can’t see how gaped your wife is after doing all your friends, and cousins, and co-workers, and-

Esteban: Shut up!

(The two of them start slapping each other’s hands like girls.)

Isaac: You two are such little girls sometimes. I can’t believe I used to be afraid of you.

(The two of them stop fighting.)

Esteban: He’s right. We used to be such scary men.

Juan: Now we’re nothing but expendable men with nothing to offer but our lives.

Esteban: You still got me, buddy.

Juan: You always know how to cheer me up.

Esteban: Give me hug.

(The two give each other bro hugs.)

Juan: I’m sorry I talk bad about your wife, I guess I’m just jealous is all of what you two have.

Esteban: There is nothing between me and my wife that you and Sofia don’t already have.

Juan: I don’t know. She’s been so distant with me lately. I have no clue what’s going on. I just figure, you know, maybe she’s going through a woman thing and she needs space.

Esteban: Communication is key, brother. Talk to her and tell her how you feel. Maybe she’s not happy with the current lifestyle you’re living.

Juan: After this discussion, I feel as if the only important things in my life right now are my wife and my children. And you- my best friend. I’m going to retire soon.

Esteban: How are the kids?

Juan: Son is discovering women and my younger daughter is going through the snot-nose rebellious bratty phase already at such a young age. I blame her mother for this one.

Esteban: We both will retire and keep in contact, and help each other out with kids, eh?

Juan: Deal!

Isaac: Every conversation the two of you have is like a soap opera episode.

(The front door is unlocked and opened. Someone walks right in and Isaac is stunned by who he sees walk in the door. She closes the door behind her and locks it. She walks up to Isaac and stands right in front of him. The woman who has just walked in is Erika.)

Erika: What a surprise. You’re still alive.

Isaac: … Erika… I’m sorry, I…

Erika: Isaac, why did you lie? Why did you fake your own death in front of me?

Isaac: Erin… I just wanted you to move on from me. I didn’t want you thinking about me anymore or worrying about me.

Erika: And these two clowns behind me were the ones who supposedly cut your finger off and disposed of your body!

Isaac: I just didn’t want you caught up in my lifestyle, Erika. I had a lot going on and you could’ve been killed.

Erika: And I would’ve been right here by your side through the chaos, but I’m sure you knew that, already.

Isaac: I did.

Erika: Well is it over now?

Isaac: Erika-

Erika: Is it over now?

Isaac: It’s over.

Erika: But you still don’t want me, do you?

Isaac: There’s someone out there better for you, Erin. I love you and you know I do, but I’m not the man for you.

Erika: (Walks closer to Isaac) Unlike you, I don’t let my past define me. I’m choosing to move forward and embrace what makes me happy. I love you, Isaac, and I want you in my life, so please, please, keep in touch. I’m moving to Chicago to be with son. And I’m going to find a man who will love me and Ethan, and I’m going to live the rest of my days in happiness. Isaac, do you want to come with me to Chicago? If not, don’t say anything. Just hand me a piece of paper with your number on it and I will walk out that door without saying another word.

(Minutes pass. Erika walks pass the receptionist counter and a light-skinned African-American woman glances at her for a quick second before passing her. Erika looks down and reads the paper Isaac gave her with his phone number on it. She walks away.)

(Claude’s House)

Claude: I’m going to go into some deep details about something seemingly unrelated to your mother.

(Janet is back in bed resting and Jackie leaves the bedroom so she can rest peacefully. Jackie walks into the living room ad up to the old man.)

Man: She all good?

Jackie: I need to run to the store to pick up some medicine for her. She’s running a fever and I’m really hoping it isn’t pneumonia again.

Man: Why do you put up with her?

Jackie: What? Why is that even a question? She’s my daughter!

Man: (Angered) That brat is nothin’ but trouble, you hear? I say toss her in a dumpster one day and just leave her to fate.

(Jackie smacks the man across the face.)

Jackie: How dare you! No one talks about my daughter that way!

(The man balls up his fist, but before he gets a chance to hit her back, there is a knock at the door.)

Man: I’ll deal with you later. (Stands up, grabs can, and leaves the living room.)

(Jackie sighs and takes in the realization of what just happened. She opens the door and it is two ladies and two young girls. The four of them seem cheerful and happy.)

Old lady: (Smiles) Hello!

Jackie: Hi, miss Mable! How are you today?

Mabel: I’m doing fine, dear, and yourself? (Smiles)

Jackie: Actually, I was just heading out. Janet is feeling sick and she needs some medicine.

Mable: Oh dear, no.

Old Lady 2: I hear the flu is going around this time of year. Has she had her shots?

Jackie: Oh, I can’t really afford shots for her. I can’t afford medical insurance at all. Or any kind of insurance for that matter. Uh… I’m sorry, who are you again?

Mabel: Oh where are my manors? (Chuckles) This hear is a good friend of the family. Her name is Virginia, and this is her daughter Erika.

Erika: (Cheerful) Hi!

Jackie: (Looks down at Erika and smiles) Hi there. You look about my daughter’s age. She has a pretty name like yours too; it’s Janet. She’s 8 years old.

Virginia: Erika here is only 5. She’ll be starting Kinder-garden soon.

Jackie: They grow up fast, huh?

Virginia: They sure do…

(A moment of awkward silence.)

Jackie: So beyond the obvious question of why you’re here, would you all like to take a trip with me to the pharmacy?

Mable: Little Gina here is having a surprise birthday party and she would like to know if you and Janet can attend?

Gina: Please! (Puts on a big smile)

Jackie: Well if this party’s gonna be as big as that smile, we’re definitely in!

Gina: Yay!

Mable: Great! That is just fantastic! The party will be happening at my house. You’ve got the address, right?

Jackie: (Smiles) I remember where your house is. We will be there shortly. Give us about an hour to get ready.

Virginia: Actually, do you mind if I head to the pharmacy with you? I’ve gotta head that way myself.

Jackie: Sure, that’s no problem at all. It gives us a chance to get to know each other.

Mable: There she goes; always thinking positive!

(Claude and Janet talk in the living room.)

Claude: This is to give you an idea of how the people your mother got involved with were. This happened at the pharmacy.

(Pharmacy)

(Inside the pharmacy stands a young handsome Puerto-Rican man, a teenage boy from the ages of 18-20, a 47 year old female receptionist wearing a white coat, a handsome young German man with glasses, and a 12 year old Caucasian boy. They are all huddled up together.)

12 year old: So what, am I in?

Puerto-Rican: (Chuckles) You’re a cute boy. No.

12 Year Old: (Upset) What?! Oh come on! I did everything you asked, man! This is so Jank.

German: Boy, go play with dolls, or do whatever it is sissy boys like you do. (Laughs)

Puerto-Rican: Get outta here, kid.

(The kid gets upset and storms off.)

Puerto-Rican: What is that kid’s name again?

German: Angelo, Armejo. He’s 12.

Puerto-Rican: He can do little jobs here and there, but we can’t involve him in our big business. He can be our errand boy. Go tell him that.

German: Alec, go tell him.

Alec: Bag your face and do it yourself, bruh. I’m chilled.

Puerto-Rican: Alec, you need to stop smoking weed. If I’m going to promote you to one of my sellers, I can’t have you smoking my stuff up.

Alec: Chill, yo. I only touch the bean.

German: Madeline, you seem out of it. Is everything good?

Madeline: Oh back off already, Ken. Quit watching my every move and get a clue!

Ken: I won’t ask again, sorry. I think I’ll go find that boy now. (Walks away)

(The Puerto-Rican glares at Alec in silence.)

Alec: Yeah, alright. (Walks away)

(The Puerto-Rican and Madeline are the only two remaining.)

Puerto-Rican: I recognize this look in your eyes. You’re feeling it again, aren’t you? That need- that desire. It pressures you like a jaguar on a gazelle.

Madeline: (Whispers) When are we gonna get our fill again, Enrico?

Enrico: (Smiles) Soon, dear. Just be patient.

(The front door opens and in comes Virginia, Erika, Janet, and Jackie. Jackie pushes the wheelchair up to the pharmacy. Madeline quickly gets behind the counter and Enrico walks away. Erika stands next to Jackie. Jackie looks around and doesn’t see Virginia at all.)

Madeline: (Fakes a very convincing smile) May I help you, ma’am?

Jackie: This job must be stressful at times. I can spot a fake smile a mile away.

(The front door opens and a man wearing a muscle-shirt looks around and quickly walks down an aisle. Down that aisle, Enrico and Virginia are having a conversation. Virginia seems scared and nervous. Virginia turns around and sees the man who just walked in, standing behind her.)

Enrico: This is one of my associates, Travon. He doesn’t speak much but he’s good muscle. Now, where were we?

(Living room)

Janet: I don’t think I need to know about what they talked about. What happened at the party?

(Backyard)

(A bunch of kids are running around in Ms. Mable’s backyard. The men are grilling and the women are relaxing. A skinny woman about Mable’s age sits down on a wooden bench next to Jackie and Mable.)

Mable: Oh, we were just talking about you! Jackie, this is my closest friend, and surrogate sister- Betsy.

Betsy: Very keen seeing you. (Smiles and shakes Jackie’s hand)

Jackie: You as well, ma’am.

Betsy: Oh, come now. I don’t look that old. (Chuckles) At least I hope I don’t.

(Betsy and Mable laugh, and Jackie just fakes a chuckle.)

Betsy: Looks like you’ve found a shy one here. Why, back in my day, I was flaunting my figure left and right! The boys couldn’t resist me. (Flips her hair and humorously sticks her nose up in the air)

Mable: (Chuckle) Alright, honey, there are probably a lot of people here you don’t know so let me introduce you. (Wraps her arm around Jackie) After I show you who everybody is, we can all go inside for a little girl-chat and some cookies; does that sound nice? (Smiles at Jackie and giggles) Okay, so the two men at the grill drinking the beers are like brothers. The one with the trimmed facial hair is Earl. He’s a mechanic so the ladies are all over him. But unbeknownst to him, he has a secret admirer.

(Mable guides Jackie’s face to a bench on the other side of the backyard. A woman with short black hair sits sad and alone.)

Mable: Her name is Janice. Like you, she’s a shy one. She’s too afraid to tell Earl how she really feels about him, meanwhile-

(They turn back to Earl and see him kissing another woman.)

Mable: He shacks up with any woman warming up to him. I think deep down he’s afraid to be alone, so he dates these Betty’s to fill in whatever emptiness he’s feeling inside. Next to him is his best friend Troy. (Whispers sentence) Ironically, we call him the bald monk. (Chuckles) He is bad news. Rumor has it, he’s involved in illegal narcotics.

Betsy: And not the good kind either, the kind that makes you pass out and wake up the next morning wondering why your underwear is in the punch bowl.

Jackie: (Stares at Troy) Oh, that kind…

Mable: I know what you’re thinking, and trust me; he ain’t worth it. (Sighs) The hot ones usually aren’t.

Betsy: But that doesn’t stop me.

(Betsy and Mable laugh once again and give each other a high five.)

Mable: But seriously, honey. That man is mixed up, and he’s always renting prostitutes over to his house. I wouldn’t be surprised if a prostitute killed him one day, poor guy… Oh well. I think everything will work out for the best for everybody. Earl and Janice will get married and they’ll have some problems and someone will come along and help them and they’ll live happily together.

Jackie: (Looks at Mable) How are you so sure?

Mable: Well apparently, my parents think it may be possible that I developed some kind of psychic pass-down from ancestry.

Jackie: I’ve always been interested to learn about that stuff. Can you maybe tell me a few futures of people here?

Mable: Sure, hmm… (Looks around) There is a man standing by the cooler. His name is Travon. His unborn son will be involved in a murder in about… 20 years.

Jackie: Whoa, 20 years? That’s… 2009?

Mable: Yes.

Jackie: So the world isn’t gonna end in 11 year? In the year 2000?

Mable: (Chuckles) Disappointed?

Jackie: No, uh… (Glances at the children in the yard) I’m glad my daughter will be around awhile. Tell me another, please?

Mable: Well, Travon’s nephew, will be born soon. His name will be Lance and he will suffer an unfortunate end at a very young age- 20.

(A quick flash shows Lance standing in the middle of the street pointing a gun at a swarm of police. A spray of gunshots are heard.)

Jackie: Why is everything coming to you by 20 years?

Mable: I’m not entirely sure, dear.

Jackie: Do the kids have a bright future?

Mable: The boy playing rough with the boys is named Cliff. He will marry my surrogate daughter Gina. Anyone else?

Jackie: What about the teenagers at the punch bowl? Will they live happily ever after?

Mable: Not together, I’m afraid. The young man is Gregory Bell and the lady there is Kayla Sanchez.

(Greg and Kayla are having a great time talking and laughing together.)

Mable: They’re just meeting for the first time, but in the future, she will sadly be one of the individuals responsible for his death. There is another boy here at the party named Allen Elicio. Kayla and Allen will soon get together. She will become obsessed with him and legally adopt his last name before the two of them ever get married. They will live happily together and someday get married. But before that day comes, the two of them are going to kill the poor boy at the punch bowl, Greg. Then we have Stan and Jean. Stan will get married and have kids, but then his wife will leave him for cheating, but secretly, she cheated on him first and divorced him do to her own guilt. They get back together eventually, though. Jean will someday own his own motel and live his days alone and depressed, and renting women weekly. Dan will adopt a young girl and will use her for slave labor, but she learns to tough it out and draw strength from her suffering. Dan will die of a heart attack in 2015. The Mexican lady is Vivica. Her son will be involved in a gang and before his official initiation, she will be killed. Maverick is another bad trouble-maker. He will grow up to be a pimp, and will be brutally murdered in an apartment down an alleyway.

Jackie: What about my daughter? Is her future secure…?

Mable: (Takes a deep breath) You worry for your daughter a lot; I can see that. You may not be satisfied with your answer.

(Jackie and Janet are both sitting in Janet’s bedroom later that night. Jackie tucks her in.)

Janet: But, mommy, what did she say after you asked her about me?

Jackie: … (Stares down at the ground for a few seconds) She said you’re going to grow up to be a beautiful lady, and that someday you’ll be a mommy too… (Holding in her tears) honey, uh… we’re- (Sniffs and wipes he face) We’re gonna go see your daddy tomorrow when you wake up, okay? (Smiles) Would you like that?

Janet: (Smiles big) YEAH!

Jackie: (Laughs) Alright, baby, get some sleep.

(Jackie closes the door and sits in the kitchen alone drinking hot tea. The old Native-American man with the cane walks into the kitchen and up to Jackie.)

Man: Did you have fun?

Jackie: (Sarcasm) Oh it was loads of fun. You should’ve been there. (Takes a slow sip of tea)

(As Jackie slowly raises the glass, the man quickly grabs the back of her hair and presses the mug of hot tea against her face. He leans her over and pours it all over her. He then throws her on the floor. She’s in so much pain but she doesn’t want to scream and wake her daughter up.)

Man: (Angry) You belong to me! Do you understand?! You are my property!

(Jackie is on the floor squealing and slowly rocking back and forth.)

Man: CLEAN UP THIS MESS! (Turns around, grabs his cane, and walks away)

Jackie: (Slowly stand up) Fine… I’ll clean up this mess, and make a clean start.

Man: Chop, chop!

(Jackie slowly and quietly reaches into the drawer and pulls out a knife. She turns around and by a shocking surprise, the man is standing right in front of her glaring. She tries to stab him in the face but he quickly grabs her wrist. The two of them stare straight into each other’s eyes and struggle over possession of the knife. The man uses his other hand to punch her in the stomach. She loosens her grip. He squeezes her throat with his bare hands and uses brute force to drag her entire body across the counter; knocking over the blender and the toaster, and through the dirty dishes in the sink and throws her into the side of the microwave, making it fall off the counter next to her. The man grabs the knife off of the counter and charges at her with it. He tries to vertically slash her, but she uses the microwave as a shield and makes him stab into it. She uses her full force to bash him in the face with the microwave. He stumbles back a few feet. She smacks him across the face with a right hook. He gets angry and launches her stomach-first into the handle of the stove. She tries to run away but he wraps his arm around her neck a uses the knife in his other hand to stab her in her lower stomach. He begins pulling the knife horizontally across her stomach to try and cut her guts out, but on instinct, she grabs his balls and squeezes as hard as she can. He loses his grip for a quick second, and that gives Jackie the opportunity to bash the back of her head into his face. She runs backward and slams his back against the side of the counter. He releases her. She grabs a big black heavy metal pot from off of the stove and bashes him in the face with it. He falls to the ground. She takes the knife out of her side and puts her face in his.)

Jackie: (Anger) Say hello to your wife for me.

(Jackie jams the knife into his throat and digs into his throat from one side to the other, causes his neck to slightly sever off of his body. After 15 seconds of struggle and spurts of blood, she stands up and looks at the mess that has been made. Janet is standing in the door way of the kitchen. She saw everything, but Jackie does not see her. Janet quickly runs away back to her bedroom. The next day, Jackie is driving an old tan Vista Cruiser down a dirt road. Janet is on the passenger’s side. The car is quiet. Janet hesitantly peaks at Jackie. As Jackie turns to her, Janet quickly looks away. Janet looks straight ahead at the road. Janet slightly looks at her mother again. Jackie slowly peaks at Janet. Janet turns away from her completely and pretends to take a nap. Jackie rests her elbow on the door and presses her fist against her forehead. The two of them park in an isolated trailer park minutes later. They get out of the car and walk toward a white trailer. Jackie knocks on the door three times. A man about Jackie’s age pulls up in a rusty truck behind her. He exits the vehicle and stands next to his truck as he and Jackie begin to talk. The young man is wearing blue jeans, a white T-shirt, and a red over-shirt. He’s also wearing brown gloves.)

Man: Hi, can I help you?

Jackie: I’m looking for the man who lives her?

Man: You must be Jackie. Hi, I’m Todd, nice to meet you. (Walks up to her and gives her a handshake.)

Todd: I’m his new roommate. We met doing construction work together. He won’t be back for another few hours. He’s been keeping busy since you left him.

Jackie: Where can I find him?

Todd: Not sure; he didn’t say were he’d be. You can wait inside for him if you’d like?

(Janet and Claude are talking in the living room again.)

Claude: Your mother broke down when she got inside. She was threatening to kill herself because of how guilty she felt about killing that man. Virginia found out what your mother did and she cleaned up the mess Jackie left behind at the house. Virginia tried counseling your mother and helping her deal with her guilt, but it wasn’t enough. She was consumed in guilt. Your father didn’t live a very stable life and that was the reason for your mother leaving him. Now your mother was unstable on a mental level. Neither of them could take care of you, so one day your father found me and sold you to me. I was rich and friendly, and the mask I wore was no different from the friendly face of your average rich white man. When he sold you to me, he thought I could raise you in a good environment away from struggle and pain. That is the truth. You were always my favorite, and that is why I’m telling you this story now about your past. There is a cult of killers out there and I am one of them. Todd was one of them, but he was killed. Virginia defected from the group and disobeyed orders and in return, Enrico and the others who were all in that pharmacy went after Virginia’s daughter Erika during her graduation. Oliver found her and took care of her, but Oliver was a part of this group too.

Janet: Are you talking about Jason’s group?

Claude: Jason is not the leader nor the creator of the group. He is the face of the group, but he is not the head. There is always someone in the shadows.

Janet: I know too much now. So are you gonna kill me?

Claude: What have you done with your life? Have you turned away from the origins of your darkness?

Janet: I haven’t. I still have sex with random guys. These days I don’t even do it for money anymore. I do it because it’s second nature to me. From time-to-time, I still do a little cocaine and X. I do have a family now. I have a boyfriend and a daughter and a sorta step-daughter.

Claude: I’ve let a few of you leave here alive, but not without taking something from you first.

Janet: What…?

Claude: Your identity.

Janet: (Nervous) What…?

Claude: You haven’t been respectful to yourself, so therefore, you no longer deserve to have it. For your family, I will let you live, but not without stripping you of what makes you impure.

(Claude casually roaches into his pocket and pulls out a tranquilizer pistol. He aims it at Janet and is shot in the neck with a sleeping dart. Claude falls to the ground. A woman with long black hair walks into the living room holding a dart gun. She stands next to Janet.)

Janet: Sarah?

Sarah: I was one of the lucky ones who survived. Big mistake for him.

(Claude’s arms and legs are stretched and chained across a wooden table in his shed. His body is completely naked. He wakes up and sees Sarah standing over him.)

Sarah: Just when I thought I had nothing else left to lose, you take something away from me that I never knew identified me as a person and made me who I am. I can’t imagine what those poor other women must be going through right now. You are worse than a serial killer. At least serial killers have the decency to kill their victims. You force your victims to live with the death you inflict upon them. These women have to live this way for the rest of their lives now. (Hatred grows in her eyes) You… I won’t let you hurt anyone else anymore.

Claude: Victimization is the key to finding true inner strength.

Sarah: (Smacks him in the forehead) Shut up. Inner strength is not something you can force people to develop. We as killers and sociopaths tell ourselves these excuses to justify our own moral actions but in truth, all we’re doing is killing for our own fulfilment. There is no good excuse as to why we hurt other people. Uh… I was going to burn your limbs slowly, one at a time… um, with the acid you used to burn your deceased victim’s bodies. Instead, I’ll just get your death over with. As much as I wanna torture you and hear you scream and beg for me to stop, I need to remember why I’m killing you in the first place. It’s not for revenge or because I was ordered to. I’m killing you so that you can’t hurt anyone else anymore.

(Sarah grabs a bucket of acid and begins pouring it in Claude’s stomach and all over legs, and chest.)

(Wedding)

(Everyone around the church are all conversing amongst one another. At one table there are 4 individuals talking amongst each other. Nicky and Lee both walk up to the table and Lee pulls out one of the two vacant seats for Nicky. The 6 individuals at the table are Adrian, Brandy, Peter, Gladys, Nicky, and Lee.)

Nicky: Thanks, baby.

(Lee sits down beside her.)

Brandy: (Smiles) Oh, look at you getting ready to pop. Aww. I bet he’s gonna be the cutest little angel ever when you pop him out.

Nicky: (Sighs) If only birth was so simple to just pop the baby out. Ugh, I’m so nervous about having this baby. Is it strange I think that? Most women I know are nervous about the overall situation of delivering a baby, but I never heard of a woman afraid of the painful process of childbirth itself.

Brandy: (Rubs Nicky’s arm to comfort her) No, sweetie; that’s not strange at all.

Nicky: (Chuckles) It tickles when people touch me now.

Brandy: (Moves he hand away) Oh, sorry.

Nicky: No, don’t stop.

Brand: (Nervous) Oh, uh… (Gently strokes Nicky’s arm)

Lee: The things I’ve had to put up with, with this one. It makes me wonder if pregnancy is a form of natural high, because this chick gets wackier than a Looney Toon on Crack.

Adrian: (Crosses his arms) Well technically yes. With the producing chemicals in the female body during fetal development, there is a possibility for the catalyst mother to sometimes fall victim to mind altering chemical imbalances.

Lee: Soo… Yes?

Adrian: … Yes.

Lee: See, baby! I am smart!

Nicky: (Giggles) Yes you are, baby. (Grabs Lee’s face and kisses him softly upon the lips)

(The two of them begin fading away into their kisses and the 4 guests at the table nervously wait for them to stop. After about 8 seconds, Peter clears his throat to interrupt them.)

Nicky: (Stops kissing) Oh, sorry. Just got wrapped up in the moment. (Smiles)

Gladys: Hey, Nicky, have you thought about who the Godparents are gonna be?

Nicky: Actually, despite the craziness of our pasts, I have decided to ask my two good friends and former co-workers, Peter and Brandy.

Brandy: (Speechless) What?! (Covers her mouth with her hands) Oh my, gosh, are you for real?! I’m getting emotional here. I’m gonna start tearing up. (Fans eyes with her hands) No, no, come on, eyes, dry up, come on. Ah…

Nicky: (Chuckles) This is why I didn’t wear make-up to my own wedding. Tears and mascara are not a good mix.

Brandy: Tell me about it. (Laughs and continues to fan) Ah. This isn’t working.

(Lee stands up, leans over the table and blows in Brandy’s eyes as hard as he can. He does this about 4 times in each eye. He sits back down once he’s finished.)

Brandy: (Brinks rapidly a few times) Thanks, Lee. That was… helpful.

Lee: You’re welcome. See, baby; I’m a hero.

Nicky: You are.

Gladys: (Rolls her eyes) Please, don’t start kissing again. We wouldn’t want the bride leaving home in a puddle of my vomit.

Lee: You’re just jealous cause you can’t get a man. (Sticks his tongue out at Gladys)

Gladys: Do that again and I’ll bite your tongue.

Lee: Sorry, but only my baby does that.

(Lee and Nicky begin to tongue kiss and get lost in each other once again.)

Peter: Well, I’m headed to the boy’s room. I will return shortly. (Stands up)

Gladys: You alright there, speedy? You haven’t had a word to say about being godfather yet.

Peter: (Chuckles) My heart’s jumping outta my chest as we speak. (Pushes in chair and walks away)

Gladys: That boy’s got some issues. But I can’t lie; he has the cutest little bottom ever.

Brandy: Hey, no talking about him like that; he’s mine.

Gladys: You two went to college together- no, high school, and you still haven’t made your move. You had your chance and you lost it, honey. (Flexes her neck)

(Peter looks at the punch bowl and sees Hanru pouring two plastic cups of red Kool-Aid after another boy about Hanru’s age makes two cups of Kool-Aid. Peter walks up to Hanru and stands next to Him.)

Peter: I see you made it.

Hanru: Uh… I did. I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder and there are like over a hundred people here, but I had to tough it out to be here for my best friend, ya know.

Peter: The last time we talked, I believe you were seen running away from a crime scene. I helped wipe your fingerprints clean so you wouldn’t get caught. Yeah, I’m a good friend to have.

(A quick flashback shows Peter in the living room of a large two-story house. At his feet is a Mexican lady deceased from what appears to be a gunshot wound.)

Hanru: A good friend who became obsessed with spying on my uncle and threatened to destroy his career.

Peter: I did some things that I still regret even to this day. And I would say that I am sorry, for violating you and your uncle and your family, and your past, but I’m not. Here’s why.

(Peter reaches into his pocket and pulls out a flash drive.)

Peter: You wouldn’t believe what information I found trying to find dirt on your uncle’s past. The last file was updated about two nights ago. I labeled it for you.

(Peter offers the flash drive to Hanru and he hesitantly takes it.)

Peter: I officially have nothing left on your family or you. You make sure you take good care of that and don’t let anyone- and I mean anyone, know you have that information.

Hanru: Okay…?

(Peter forces a big hug on Hanru.)

Peter: Always remember who you are no matter what. (Stops hugging him and quickly walks away)

Hanru: (Thinking and examining flash drive) Does this flash drive really contain information about my heritage? By his reaction I’m betting there’s some serious stuff on here- life-changing stuff. If it affected him in such a way, I’m sure it’ll affect me even more. So with that said- (Puts flash drive securely in his pocket) I’m going to enjoy what little life I’m still familiar with. (Looks up and sees Jessica talking to someone he cannot see)

(Hanru grabs both the cups of red punch and walks toward Jessica. He sees who she’s talking to and it’s the same guy who made two cups of punch right before Hanru did. He stops and sees Jessica smiling and laughing with this other guy. Hanru just walks away. In another part of the church, by the giant glass bowl of shrimp cocktail, LJ is speaking with Kaito.)

Kaito: You see these shrimp? They’re nigger than my hands, and I’ve got some pretty big hands.

LJ: I see that sir, but I really need your help.

(Kaito takes a huge bite out of a huge shrimp.)

Kaito: (Chews) Now this is food worth paying $5000 for.

LJ: Sir. Wait, 5000? Really? That’s what this wedding costs?

Kaito: It’s not half the price of happiness, so hey, I say I got a good deal.

LJ: Look, Kaito, I need a crew. We’ve talked about this, and I need an answer.

Kaito: You think shrimp would be good if it was chopped up in salad?

LJ: SIR!

(A few people around turn to look at LJ for a second, but then return to their business right away.)

LJ: Sorry, I didn’t mean to yell.

(Minutes later, Kaito throws LJ in the restroom aggressively.)

Kaito: What are you thinking bringing this conversation up at my sister’s wedding?!

LJ: I need help or I won’t have a wedding at all! Kaito I’m sick of this lifestyle I’ve been living my entire life. It’s nothing but pain, and death, and murder, and overdoses, and moral dilemmas, and more and more death! Kaito, I’m sick of it. But in order to make my family safe, I need to hire guys to help me kill the other guys I used to call my brothers! Kaito, I’m doing this for my family.

Kaito: Let me enjoy the wedding, and I’ll get back to you with an answer tonight.

LJ: Thank you, Kaito.

(LJ passes Kaito and grabs the door handle. Before he can walk out, he is stopped by Kaito.)

Kaito: If I say no, then what?

LJ: … Then I’ll have to hire some dudes off the street to help me.

Kaito: (Turns around to face LJ) You’re faced with a problem and you’re thinking of only one way to solve it: Violence. LJ, I know you’re smarter than this. I know you can come up with some alternative.

LJ: I have, Kaito, but no matter what I do, the safety of my family is never secure unless I know for sure they’re all dead. In broad daylight, they came to my home in my suburban neighborhood and they shot almost every single inch of my house up with fully automatic weapons. I just happened to be next door and if my daughter was anywhere in the house, she would have been shot. But by some miracle, she was in the backyard thinking about starting a garden. She’s never in her life thought about gardening. Except for that… one… day… What do you think of that, Kaito?

Kaito: (Sighs) I think it was a sign to maybe start fresh. We are born into different environments and households, but we have the choice to stick to our roots or branch away from them and do the opposite, especially when you’re born into a household of chaos. You make the choice of what you wanna do, LJ. You think on this and you get back to me tonight. But just remember- your Roots play a big part in who you are today, but our greatest strength usually comes from our growth.

LJ: Thank you, Kaito. (Leaves the room)

(Kaito rests his hands on the sink of the bathroom.)

Russian: Family or no family, Kaito, you need to remember what business you are in. You have grown soft. The Kaito I knew would send an army of men to kill those amateur bag-swappers, and loot them of everything they have.

Kaito: But I’m not that same Kaito anymore.

Russian: Then who are you, and why did you summon me here?

(Kaito looks into the mirror and sees his old assistant Mikhail standing in the mirror behind him.)

Mikhail: Kaito, you are struggling with your own identity. You don’t even know who you are anymore.

Kaito: I am who I am. I am Kaito.

Mikhail: (Rests his lower back on the sink) And who is Kaito?

(Moment of silence.)

Mikhail: You can’t even answer that simple question. You are sad. You do not deserve this life if you are not willing to endure the hardships of its requisites.

Kaito: You’re right. (Takes a deep breath and rinses face with cold water from the sink) I started this empire, and now I have a responsibility by it.

Mikhail: There’s that cold ruthless look the old Kaito had. No more of this family, goody-boy, yoga exercising Kaito. Bring back the original angry Kaito who killed anyone who stood in his way.

(Kaito demonically grins at the mirror and uses the full force of his anger to bash in the mirror with his fist.)

(The party is still going at the wedding and everyone is dancing to ‘80’s music. Lee gets on the dancefloor and does a few ‘70’s moves just to create the humorous illusion of him not knowing what time period the current music is from. Everyone begins laughing with him. Peter runs out to the dancefloor and grabs Lee’s shoulders to stop his groove. Peter whispers something in Lee’s ear. His eyes open wide in shock.)

Lee: (Waves to the DJ) Hey! Cut the music!

(DJ Loops stops the music.)

Lee: Everyone, I’ve got some good news and some better news! You are free to stay here and party for the remainder of the night! Whoo! And for the better news- I, Aaron Leon Cane Izaiah Lindsey Ockmen Shepard the fourth, will soon be a daddy!

(Everyone begins clapping a cheering.)

Lee: Now excuse me while I get to the hospital! Who- Who wants to give me a ride.

Peter: Hey, man, I got you.

Lee: Oh, never mind! Homie’s got my back! Alright kids! Party hard now and don’t let those uncool parents tell you what to do!

(Everyone laughs and Lee quickly runs out of the church. Hanru and Jessica run after him. The four of them leave the church together and see LJ sitting on the stairs alone. Hanru stops to talk to him.)

Hanru: LJ? I didn’t know you were here.

Pete: We gotta go, Hanru. LJ’s just gonna have to come with us to the hospital!

Hanru: You up for a little cruise?

LJ: We’ll take my car and follow them.

(Hospital)

(Everyone is patiently sitting in the quiet waiting room a few hours later: Hanru, LJ, Jessica, Lee, Peter, Gladys, Adrian, Brandy, Ma, Daniel, Kaito, and Sandra. Lee is flipping through a home décor magazine.)

Daniel: So, we all rushed here just to sit in a boring room for several hours? Lame!

Kaito: Son, trust me, if you’ve ever seen a woman give birth, you would understand why sitting out here won’t give you nightmares.

Lee: (Nervously closes magazine) I have this feeling in my gut, man. Something’s not right. (Quickly gets up and stands outside)

(Hanru and Jessica follow him outside into the cold night air about 50 feet away from the door.)

Jessica: Lee, we can understand if you’re nervous. It’s perfectly normal.

(Lee keeps his back turned to them and breathes hard while staring blankly at the ground.)

Hanru: Man, what’s wrong?

Lee: (Turns around to face them) You two can’t possibly understand what it’s like going through this. Neither of you have been married or ever had to face the pressures of being a father! I’m not having regrets about having this kid, but… I don’t how… I can’t describe what I’m feeling right now. It’s this pain in my gut, like if my heart sunk into my lower intestine and is slowly deteriorating. I don’t understand why I’m feeling this way.

(Hanru and Jessica both give Lee a big group hug. Lee begins to cry.)

Lee: I feel so alone right now. (Sniffs) Thanks you guys. I really need you right now.

(A female doctor comes outside and walks up to the three of them. They stop hugging. She puts on a straight poker face but her eyes give away her sorrow.)

Doctress: I need to speak with the immediate father of the baby.

Lee: That’s me. Anything you say to me, you can say to these two.

Doctress: … Uh… We’re, sorry but…

(The atmosphere becomes still and time itself slows down.)

Lee: (Worried) W-what?

Doctress: We are sorry to inform you of the loss of… You’re

Lee: My baby…? (Tears begin to form in his eyes)

Doctress: I’m sorry but-

Lee: (Slowly falling to his knees) My child is gone…?

Doctress: … (Says with straight face) It was your wife… I’m sorry for your loss. (Quickly turns and walks back to the hospital)

(Lee falls to the ground and breaks down in silent tears. Hanru and Jessica embrace him and hold on tight to him.)

Hanru Narrating: Life ends and life begins… We are not always defined by who we are by roots, but it plays a big roll in who we are and could become. Usually our journey in life begins with the embrace of fleeing our nature. But that means we as individuals come pre-wired through destiny, history, ancestry, heritage, zodiac, ethnicity, gender, upbringings. But can our willpower and our ability to love, change the course of all those things and become something completely new and liberating?

(Lee stands over his baby and holds it in his hands.)

Hanru Narrating: I say we do have the power to choose. I say we are not bound by the restrictions of our origins.

(Lee embraces his baby and gently rocks it up and down.)

Hanru Narrating: Who do we see when we look in the mirror? Who do we wanna see? Who should we see? Should we see, or should we feel?

[“The Passage” by “Exitmusic”]
♠ ♠ ♠
1. The wedding dress chosen for Nicky is purple was purple for multiple reasons. Not only was it fitting but purple plays a strong color for Lee and Nicky’s relationship

2. At the restaurant, Ada, Ronda, and Pop’s food choices were expressions of their moods.

3. The people who worked at the pharmacy during the back story of Jackie were the members who were involved in the assault of Erika and her friends. They were Ken Lally, Esteban, and Madeline. Alec was not involved and Angelo Armejo was not yet apart of the group during the flashback.

4. Madeline tells Ken to get a clue at the pharmacy. This is a reference to the board game “Clue” where Madeline got her name from. Madeline got her name from the actress who played Mrs. White in the live action movie “Clue”.

5. At the party. Mable mentioned a few characters who were at the party. Earl and Janice were the married couple from chapter 4. Troy was actually one of the few seen being killed by “The Prostitute Killer” in Volume One.

6. In the flashback it shows Lance being shot by police. Lance was actually an ex boyfriend of Tsuki’s and was somehow involved in a very bad crime in chapter 2.

7. At the punch bowl, Gregory and Kayla are laughing together. Mable refers to her as Kayla Sanchez because this was before she got it legally changed to Elicio. Not only that, Gregory Bell was actually killed by Kayla and her lover Allen in I believe Chapter 3. Gregory and Kayla were also Paramedic partners.

8. Dan’s adopted daughter is Jessica.

9. At the wedding, Brandy fanned her eyes and tried to keep them dry possibly to prevent her makeup from smearing on her face.

10. “The Passage” by Exitmusic played at the end of this chapter.