Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume One Chapter Four: Mable (Spring 2009)

Previously...

(Leo and Ada questioned a maid at the home of Angelo Armejo. A German man crashed his car into the house and kidnapped the Maid. This was a set up however, to make sure the police didn't know the maid was actually on Angelo's side. Leo and Ada searched a forest to find a cabin that Angelo may be hiding in. While trying to find it, they were attacked by the German man. The German shot Ada in her back three times and Leo was able to shot the German one time in the face, killing him. Erika told Justin the story of how Angelo and his crew killed her friends in the forest where his cabin is located, many years ago. Hanru continued to investigate the shooting of Ross Geller. He found out that a man named Allen Elicio worked with Jason Petrelli. He also believes that another person may be involved. Also, Lawrence asked Hanru to go on a date with another girl, even though he's dating Holly. Hanru agreed.)

(It is 10:08 PM. A young couple are out jogging on the dark road of their neighborhood. The two notice that all houses on the block have their lights off. All except for one. They stop and see the shadow of an old lady standing in the window. The woman has a very nice personality. She has short blond hair. The man has a very charming personality and has very short black hair.)

Gina: Hey, Cliff. Look. Isn't that Ms. Mable's house?

Cliff: I wonder what she's doing up so late.

Gina: Should we check on her to make sure everything's alright?

Cliff: Nah. She probably got up to get a glass of water or something.

Gina: Well if that is the case, shouldn't we help her out?

Cliff: Babe, she's not handicapped.

Gina: I know, Cliff, but I know her. She's like a grandmother to me. If she is up at this time, she might have had a nightmare or something. Let's just check on her.

Cliff: If it makes you happy. (Smiles at Gina)

Gina: Thank you. (Smiles back)

(Cliff and Gina go to the porch and ring the doorbell. A gunshot is then heard 3 seconds later.)

Gina: (Nervous) Oh my gosh. What was that!

Cliff: ( A little panicky) Wait here, Gina. I'll see if she's okay!

(Cliff rushes inside and closes the the front door. He comes out a few seconds later. His jogging jacket is off and some blood is on his pants.)

Gina: Cliff? What happened? Is she okay?

Cliff: She's... dead.

Gina: (Panic) What? No, she can't be? Let me see her.

(Gina tries to run inside, but Cliff grabs her.)

Cliff: No, Gina! (Hugs Gina tightly while she cries.) It's too horrifying. I don't want you to see that.

Gina: Please tell me it isn't true, Cliff. Please tell me she isn't dead.

Cliff: (Holds Gina tightly) I'm sorry, Gina.

(Gina continues to cry on Cliff's shoulder.)

[One year later]

(Hanru. Lee and Mamimi are walking in the city, when a flier hits Lee in the face. Mimi and Lee are arguing while ignoring Hanru.)

Mimi: It's about time that abomination was covered.

Lee: (Takes flier off) Oh, looks like someone's riding the jealousy train. This is a face of pure beauty, okay?

Hanru: Doubt it.

Mimi: Define beauty.

Lee: It's something you don't have, so don't worry about it.

Mimi: My face is a thing of elegance.

Hanru: Doubt it.

Lee: Keep telling yourself that, Mimi.

Hanru: You two should stop fighting. What does that flier say anyway, Lee?

Lee: Umm... Something about Ms. Mable's day. What is that; a holiday?

Hanru: (Takes flier and reads it) I've never heard of it. We should check it out.

Lee: I'm down.

Mimi: Sure why not?

(About 10 minutes later, Hanru and his friends get to the bus stop. A homeless man walks up to them.)

Kevin: Yo... You kids want some candy? I've got some chocolate bars with creamy white filling that just melt in your mouth.

Mimi: What is this guy; a Lee wanna be? He sounds perverted, just like Lee.

Lee: (Excited) I have a fan!

Hanru: No thank you, we would not like any candy, sir.

Kevin: Fine, more creamy goodness for me. (Walks away)

Mimi: What kind of candy has cream in it?

Lee: I'll tell you what kind.

Mimi: Forget I asked.

Hanru: Does anyone have money for the bus?

Lee: No, but I'm sure Mimi can get us some.

Mimi: I'm not like Meukie okay.

Lee: But you can be... If you just believe...

Hanru: So... No money?

Mimi: No.

[Half an hour later]

(Hanru, Lee and Mimi are walking in a beautiful suburban neighborhood. A lot of people are walking around all over the neighborhood. The sun is bright and it seems like the perfect hot, sunny, summer day. The three walk up to a woman moving boxes in her garage. The woman is Gina.)

Hanru: Excuse me.

Gina: Oh hi! You must be new to the neighborhood?

Hanru: No actually, my friends and I were taking a walk around the city. We found this flier that said something about "Ms. Mable's day". We were just curious to know what it was

Gina: Well, you've come to the right person. Ms. Mable was the idol of this neighborhood. A saint. She would donate to charity, give away free food. She was the sweetest old lady you would ever come to know. She never put herself first. She would always put others before herself. She would even giveaway her stuff if someone else needed it. She always smiled, she was never unhappy. Yep, a living angel she was.

Mimi: What happened to her?

Gina: Last year, my boyfriend and I went for a jog. We ended up spending the whole day together reminiscing about our lives. We ended up talking for hours. By time we came to our senses and snapped back to reality, it was already 10:00 PM. We took a jog home and we saw Ms. Mable, standing in her window. Cliff and I rang her doorbell to see if she was okay. We heard a gunshot coming from inside the house. Turns out she committed suicide... She shot herself in the head.

Mimi: Aw. I'm sorry to hear that.

Gina: (Begins to tear up) It's fine. Of course I never saw the body until the funeral. My boyfriend rushed in after the gunshot and told me what happened. He didn't want me to see her dead. She was like a grandmother to me.

Mimi: Aw, that's sad. We're so sorry for bothering you.

Gina: No. No, it's fine. I tell that story to everyone. But no matter how many times I tell it, it still hurts.

Hanru: (Thinking) Old people don't usually kill themselves. I mean it's possible, but...

(Cliff comes outside to the garage.)

Cliff: Baby? (Hugs Gina) Hey, baby, what's wrong?

Gina: Oh nothing. (Wipes eyes and sniffs) I was just telling these kids about Mable. But I'm fine.

Cliff: You sure? Can I get you anything? A tissue?

Gina: Yeah. Tissue would be fine.

Cliff: Okay, I'll be right back.

(Cliff goes back inside.)

Mimi: Your boyfriend?

Gina: Yeah. (Chuckles) That's my boyfriend; always over protective. But he's good.

Hanru: (Thinking) I'm just curious to know more about Ms. Mable. Maybe I should stay here and investigate. Look at me, sounding like a detective. (Says to Gina) Look. We're sorry for upsetting you. The least we could do is stay here and help out.

Gina: Oh great! Oh. (Grabs three pins from a box next to her.) You need these. (Puts happy face pins on their shirts.)

Lee: You almost poked my nipple, but thanks.

Gina: The smiley face represents the happiness that Mable brought to this neighborhood, and to the lives of many people.

Lee: That makes sense.

(Cliff comes back and gives Gina tissue.)

Gina: Thank you, baby.

Cliff: No problem. (Both kiss)

(Cliff wipes his mouth off with the back of his hand.)

Gina: What's the matter, you don't like my kisses?

Cliff: No uh... You had snot on your mouth.

Gina: I'm sorry, honey. (Both chuckle)

Cliff: It's fine. I love everything about you. Even your snot.

Gina: (Giggles) You're such a corny man.

Cliff: Yes, but I'm your corny man.

(Both begin to kiss for 2 seconds. They then look each other in the eyes and begin making out for about 5 seconds. Hanru and his friends can't help but to watch in awkwardness. Lee clears his throat. They stop.)

Gina: Oh I'm sorry, how rude of us.

Hanru: It's fine.

Gina: Oh. I left something inside. Could you finish unpacking for me please?

Cliff: Sure, anything for you.

Gina: Thanks, babe. I hope you three enjoy the celebration. We have food and games everywhere around the neighborhood. The neighbors are grilling and having a wonderful time. You could even go into their houses to check out the decorations and watch movies. This is the best holiday you'll ever celebrate. Enjoy!

Lee: Oh don't worry we will.

(Gina smiles and walks away. Lee watches her.)

Cliff: Are you looking at my girlfriend's butt?

Lee: No... Your girlfriends butt was looking at me.

Cliff: (Sarcasm) That makes sense. (Both laugh) Anyway. You mind helping me out with some of these boxes? As you can see there's a lot here.

Hanru: Sure. Mimi, why don't you go have some fun and see what's around the neighborhood? (Joking) I think we men can handle this. (Mimi and Hanru smile)

Mimi: Alright. Text me if you need me. (Walks away)

[One minute later]

(They're moving the boxes in the garage.)

Cliff: So you're into directing, huh? Movie directing sounds good.

Lee: Yeah. But I'm not sure it'll stick. Throughout my entire life, I've been wanting to be different things. I even wanted to be an astronaut at one point.

Cliff: Yeah we've all been there. As you grow up you try different things in life to figure out what you want to be. And what about you, little man? What do you want to be?

Hanru: I don't have a clue.

Cliff: Well, what classes are you taking in school?

Hanru: You mean my electives?

Cliff: Yeah,Your electives.

Hanru: Well let's see, I'm taking Study Skills, Architecture and French.

Cliff: French, huh?

Hanru: Yeah.

Cliff: répétez après moi.

Hanru: Yeah I don't know... What you just said.

Cliff: Isn't school almost out for the Summer?

Hanru: Yeah. But I'm not really that smart. I fail nearly all my classes. But I change my grades through the school computer.

Cliff: You're good with computers. Maybe that's something you could think about doing.

Hanru: I pay someone to do it for me.

Cliff: Oh.

Hanru: Yeah I suck at school. And a few other things as well. I pretty much suck at life.

Cliff: Hey. Everyone is good at something. You just haven't found it yet.

Hanru: I guess.

Cliff: Hey. You kids go have fun. I'll handle the rest of these boxes, alright?

Lee: Sure, I guess. You sure you don't need us?

Cliff: I'll be fine.

[At the station]

(Erika is standing at the elevator going home. Sargent Giovanni walks past and stands next to her to talk.)

Giovanni: Erika!

Erika: Hey, Sarge!

Giovanni: We're all going out for drinks to celebrate Ada's recovery. You willing to join?

Erika: No thank you, Sargent, I'm pretty tired. And plus, I don't drink!

Gio: Your loss! Drinks are on me!

(Erika goes into the elevator and the doors close. With a small depressive look on her face, Erika leans against the wall in the elevator and takes a deep breath. Later, when she gets home, she sits at her kitchen table drinking liquor. All of her curtains are closed and all of her lights are turned off. She seems very depressed.)

[At the hospital]

(Leo is standing over Ada's bed. Ada is still weak from the gunshots. She sounds exhausted. Leo hangs up his cell phone.)

Leo: That was the captain. He sent a few officers into the forest to find the cabin. They didn't find anything. The man who tried to kill us wasn't even there. It's possible his buddies took him back to the cabin.

Ada: (Sounding weak) Is that all?

Leo: He said my laptop was missing, but there's nothing to be worried about. All information that's put on that laptop goes to a small memory chip. I keep it with me at all times. They can't find any information on it. But they can trace the signal to the computer that's connected to it at my house. They can find out where I live. But if anyone shows up there, the police will handle it. How do you feel?

Ada: I'm okay. This isn't the first time I've been shot.

Leo: Yeah, I know. We've been partners for years.

Ada: Yeah... I never told anyone about this. But I lived a hard life up until I was 5. I had an abusive father. One day he was drunk. And he was beating on my sister. I couldn't stand living that life anymore. So I went into his room one day. I grabbed the gun he had hidden in a box on the top shelf of his closet. I was going to shoot him. But the gun was too heavy for me to hold. He was walking towards me. I knew he was gonna do something horrible to me. Through my fear, I closed my eyes and used all my strength and more, to pull the trigger. I accidentally shot my sister. My father tried to take the gun from me. while we were fighting for the gun, I accidentally pulled the trigger and shot myself. I don't know how I survived that. But I was put into child services. I don't know what happened to my father, or my sister. I was told my sister bleed to death and died. But I never saw her body. I've never seen her dead with my own eyes.

Leo: (Grabs her hand) I didn't know you had a sister. I'm sorry.

Ada: Since then, I dedicated my life to putting criminals like my father behind bars.

Leo: As a child, I grew up in a rough neighborhood. I would always get into fights. Me and my family, We grew up in a poor neighborhood. We would always have to fight to protect what belonged to us. We also had to fight to protect each other. Friends didn't exist. It was family vs family. Everyone did what they could to get what they wanted. Whether it meant robing, injuring, or even murder. My family and I were forced to be tough and survive. My father was able to join the military. He gave us almost all the money he earned during his missions. It was enough to get my family out of that rat hole neighborhood. Since then, I've dedicated my life to putting criminals like the ones who lived in my neighborhood behind bars.

Ada: Well. We've been partners for almost 3 years. We never told each other why we joined homicide. We have some weird chemistry, don't we?

Leo: Yeah. Yeah we do.

[In the neighborhood]

(Hanru and Lee are walking around the neighborhood, when they see a man in a jump suit working under the hood of his car in his garage, smoking a cigarette. They walk up to him.)

Hanru: Um, excuse me! Hey, I was just hoping you could tell us if you've seen my friend. She's about our height, she has short brown hair, she's wearing blue jeans and she's wearing a red shirt. By any chance, have you seen her around?

Earl: I don't associate with people who celebrate the existence of that dirty old hag.

Lee: You're voice sounds exactly like Rorschach's from Watchmen.

Hanru: So what, you don't talk to people who liked Ms. Mable?

Earl: (Smokes a cigarette) That old lady was a joke. She did all these nice things just so she could have attention. People say she's the perfect "Earth-angel", but no one is that perfect.

Hanru: You don't seem to happy, Mr...

Earl: Earl. You should of seen how happy I was when I found out she was dead. Never been happier.

(Earl's wife comes out)

Janice: Oh really, Earl? What about our wedding day? Wasn't that special?

Earl: We got married in Vegas. What's so special about that?

Janice: Well first of all, it was our wedding day. What are you trying to say, that getting married to me wasn't special?

Earl: Of course it wasn't. It was Vegas.

Janice: (Scoffs and angrily walks back inside the house) Whatever...

Earl: Bring me some water when you come back!

Lee: Okay, not even I would treat my wife like that.

Earl: You married, kid?

Lee: No.

Earl: Then shut up. You don't know what it's like to wake up every morning seeing the same face over and over again.

Hanru: (Thinking) Personally, I like this guys honestly. He doesn't think the wedding was special, so he tells his wife strait up. Most people would consider him to be mean, but not me. I consider him honest. (To Earl) I think we'll go ask someone else about our friend. Sorry for bothering you.

Earl: You take care now, Podre.

Lee: You're lucky I don't know what that means.

Hanru: Wait. So you didn't like Ms. Mable?

Earl: I hated her guts. I hate everyone who claims to be the perfect human being. We all suffer from imperfections. I would've killed her myself if I were an expert at killing. (Small chuckle) I think you kids should go now. You're beginning to persist me.

(Hanru and Lee walk away.)

Earl: Wait! I saw your little girlfriend go into one of the houses across the street. This is a pretty safe neighborhood, so I'm sure she's okay.

[In the neighbors house]

(Mimi is sitting on the sofa of an old woman named Betsy. Betsy sits in the couch across from Mimi. Betsy is very sweet old lady.)

Betsy: Ms. Mable was a kind soul. It just doesn't make sense why she would commit suicide.

Mimi: It never does.

Betsy: Whenever I was around Mable, people would start to get a little edgy.

Mimi: Why is that, Betsy?

Betsy: Well. She use to give out cookies to children. One day, she was giving away Peanut butter cookies. My son loved peanut butter, but he was allergic. I told him not to eat any cookies, but he did anyway. He sadly moved on cause of it. Mable couldn't live with herself. And everyone thought that I would do something terrible to Mable for what she did. But I forgave her.

Mimi: I'm so sorry he died. I'm guessing... He was adopted?

Betsy: Yes he was. How did you know that, deary?

Mimi: Well, if it was my son, I would of done some pretty messed up things to Ms. Mable. Even if it was an accident.

Betsy: Do you have kids of your own?

Mimi: ... No... No I don't, but some part of me knows what it feels like to have one.

Betsy: Here... Let me show you some pictures of my boy.

(The door bell rings.)

Betsy: I wonder who that could be.

Mimi: Maybe it's my friends. Maybe they're looking for me.

[Minutes later]

(Hanru, Lee and Mimi are walking down the street from Betsy's house. Cliff and Gina spot 'em and they run up to them.)

Cliff: Hey, I've been looking for you. Where've you been?

Lee: Well, we've been meeting jerks, like Earl.

Mimi: And nice people, like Betsy.

Cliff: Interesting. Earl has some major problems. Honestly, I don't see how his wife puts up with him.

Lee: Maybe she drinks a lot.

Cliff: Maybe. (All laugh) Anyway. We've come to show you around the neighborhood. If you're ever interested in moving here, at least you'll know how things are around here a little bit.

Lee: Alright.

Cliff: Alright, let's do it.

Gina: (Says with energy) Yay! I feel like a tour guild. "Please keep hand and feet to yourself while on the tour". (Giggles)

Lee: I'll try...

Mimi: Hey, what about that house down the street? A lot of people are gathered there.

Lee: Not to mention there are like a hundred flowers in the yard.

Gina: It's actually two hundred. And that's Ms. Mable's house.

Lee: Oh, so that's where she lives.

Hanru: Wait. The two of you live around the block.

Gina: Yeah, so?

Hanru: Why would you come this way to get to your home if your house is the other way? It was pretty late. The two of you should've went home right away.

Cliff: What?

Gina: (Clears throat) I think he's talking about that night.

Cliff: Oh...

Gina: Cliff here wanted to check out the other block to see if there were any trouble makers around. Betsy was suppose to do the neighborhood watch. But she was missing that day for some reason. Cliff decided to take a quick look and do her job a little bit. I'm glad he decided to. Otherwise we wouldn't have been there to report Mable's death.

Mimi: B-Betsy? Betsy went missing the same day Ms. Mable killed herself?

Gina: Yep. It's sad, I know.

Hanru: (Thinking) He's hiding something. (Says out loud) How about you four go ahead with the tour? I think I want to take a look around Ms. Mable's home.

Cliff: Why don't we all go? Leave no man behind, is what I always say.

(All five of them get to Mable's porch.)

Mimi: Wow. These flowers make her yard look so beautiful.

Gina: Yep. Her yard looked beautiful even before she passed. She was a great gardener. We use to go around and help plant gardens for the neighbors. I of course stayed a gardener.

Mimi: Oh so that's what you do for a living.

Gina: (Says cheerfully with smile) Guilty!

Hanru: Why is her doorbell missing? What happened to it?

Cliff: Well. Everyone in the neighborhood agreed to remove it. Her spirit still lived on in the house. She shouldn't be disturbed by a doorbell.

Hanru: (Thinking) Maybe I can trick this guy. (To Cliff) I was thinking about removing my doorbell.

Lee: I didn't even know you had a doorbell. I guess you are a guy.

Mimi: Oh my gosh, shut up, Lee. No one wants to hear your dirty jokes.

Hanru: Anyway. How much did it cost to remove it?

Cliff: Well uh...

Gina: It was free. Cliff here's an electrician. He's a professional. He fixed her electricity a few days before she died.

Cliff: (Grins) I did.

Hanru: So why are there a lot of people gathered around here?

Gina: They're all talking to her spirit. They're making sure she's okay in the spirit world. Plus, people can go inside and take a look at how beautiful she keep her home. Every once and awhile I come in and clean her furniture. I make sure no dust gets on it. Or nasty spiders. Yuck.

Hanru: Would you excuse us please? I need to go tinkle. (Grabs Mimi and Lee by the hand and runs toward the side of the building.)

Cliff: Wait. You all go to the bathroom together?

Lee: Yes. It's how we roll.

(The three of them go to the side of the house.)

Mimi: I hope you're thinking what I'm thinking.

Mimi: Murder.

Hanru: Usually, when someone commits suicide, they act a little bit different. But this old lady was the same. Her mood never changed.

Lee: Yeah, while me and Hanru were walking around looking for you, we asked some people what they thought about Mable.

Hanru: They all said that she was the same for years. She was always happy and joyful. Even on the day she died.

Mimi: So who do you think murdered her?

Hanru: So far, we have three suspects.

Mimi: I know Betsy's one of them. Mable accidentally killed her adopted son. And she forgave Mable right away. I think she was waiting for the right time to strike.

Lee: I think it was Earl. That guy hated Mable. And he was happy when he found out She was dead.

Hanru: And there leaves Cliff. Cliff seems like a pretty nice guy. But then again, most killers do. Some of the facts don't add up with him.

Lee: I think we should split up. I'll take Earl, Mimi, you take Betsy and, Hanru, you take Cliff.

Hanru: Great.

[In Leo's bedroom]

(Leo is on his computer doing research on the forest where Angelo's cabin is located. The doorbell rings. Lawrence is downstairs. He's in a bright mood.)

Lawrence: I got it! (Answers the door) Erika! What's up, sexy?

Erika: (Sounding sad) Listen, Lawrence. I just came by to tell you about the "brownies".

Lawrence: (Looks back, goes outside, closes the door.) What's up?

Erika: Look, I'm sorry, but I can't do it anymore. I put marijuana in those brownies just for you because you payed extra every time I did. But I'm not doing that anymore. I'll sell you my regular Delicious brownies, but that's about it.

Lawrence: ( Sounding serious and threatening) I can't accept that. Bake me more special brownies, or it'll cost you your life.

(Erika begins to freak out.)

Lawrence: (Excited) No I'm just kidding. (Laughs) Sorry, you just left that one wide open. I'm Sorry, I'm sorry.

Erika: (Angry) You know what? I'm not making any brownies for you!

Lawrence: You don't have to yell.

Erika: Shut up! I'm sick of you and your stupid jokes! I'm leaving! And I'm never coming back. Goodbye! (Walks away)

Lawrence: (Serious) Hey! (Erika stops) I don't know what crawled up your butt and died, but you need to calm down. (Runs up to Erika) Now I can tell, you're going through some problems. But that doesn't mean you can just take it out on anyone. Now I know all we do is just business, but I want you to know that I'm here to listen to you. If you ever want to talk, I'm here to listen. I know you don't have any friends. But I care for you. So that makes me the closet thing to a friend you've got. Now talk to me. What's bothering you?

Erika: I'm sorry, Lawrence. But I can't accept you as a friend. I can't accept anyone. Not even family. Goodbye. (Gets in her car and drives off.)

(Lawrence has a look on his face like if he feels sorry for her. Leo walks outside.)

Leo: Hey, what's with all the yelling?

Lawrence: Just some personal problems, uncle. Nothing else. Where are you headed?

Leo: Both of my cars have been wrecked. I need to find some transportation.

Lawrence: Did you find out where the cabin is?

Leo: It's in a place where no one would look. In a cave. A cave that's the size of a whale. It's just a hunch, but I trust it. Don't tell anyone where I'm going.

Lawrence: What's in the briefcase?

Leo: None of your business.

Lawrence: No. Don't tell me there are guns in there?

Leo: Okay, I won't tell you.

Lawrence: Do not kill him, Leo. I know you cared about Ada and I know you want vengeance. But killing him is not the way.

Leo: Shows what you know. I'm not going after him because he almost killed Ada. I'm going after him because he almost killed me.

Lawrence: Okay stop!

Leo: Are you yelling at me!?

Lawrence: I'm sorry, uncle. I really am. But this needs to stop. You like Ada. You care about her. When are you gonna stop lying yourself and face the truth. Most importantly. When are you gonna stop lying to Hanru? He needs to know about his past. He needs to know about the scar on his chest. He needs to know about our mom and dad!

Leo: (Walks up to Lawrence and punches him in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him.) Now you listen to me! I told you about yelling at me! And I told you to never tell your brother about his past! It's a good thing he doesn't remember. Now I'm sorry I hit you like that, but sometimes you need to be checked. Do not tell your brother. You hear me? I said, do you hear me!

Lawrence: (Coughs) I hear you!

Leo: Good. Now get inside before someone sees you.

(Minutes later, Lawrence is in the kitchen getting a cold cup of water. The house phone rings next to him. He answers it on the second ring. He sounds a little upset.)

Lawrence: Hello?

Woman: Hey...

Lawrence: H-Helena?

Helena: Did you miss me?

Lawrence: Of course I missed you. I haven't stopped thinking about you since... How have you been these days?

Helena: Life hasn't been the same without you in it. I miss you every moment of everyday.

Lawrence: How could you expect our lives to be complete without each other?

Helena: True... I want you to know something, Lawrence: I love you. I will always love you.

Lawrence: No matter what happens, no matter how far apart we are... We'll always love each other. (Smiles)

Helena: How's Hanru doing?

Lawrence: He still doesn't know about what happened to him. Leo won't let me tell him. But I might just tell Hanru the truth anyway.

Helena: You don't know how Hanru will react. His mind might not be able to take it.

Lawrence: Maybe, I don't know.

Helena: You do what you know is best for Hanru. Not what you think is best for him.

Lawrence: He'll know eventually.

Helena: When his mind is ready, his memory will come back to him. I have to go, Lawena. Talk to you soon.

Lawrence: Don't call me that, please. (Chuckles)

Helena: It was your original name.

Lawrence: Yeah that was before I was born and my parents realized I was a boy. (Both laugh)

Helena: T.T.Y.L.

Lawrence: Talk to you later. (Both hang up)

[Mable's house]

(Hanru is looking around Mable's house. Gina and Cliff are with him.)

Hanru: (Thinking) The truth is... I recognize Cliff. I see something in his eyes that's very.. Comforting. And for me, that's a bad thing. (To Cliff) What kind of gun did she kill herself with?

Cliff: A... (Gets cutoff)

Gina: It was a Beretta 418.

Cliff: Thank you, baby. (Grins) Why don't you go wait outside? I don't want bad memories coming back to you. and plus, I want to have a man to man talk with Hanru.

Hanru: I think she should stay.

Cliff: Well she's not your girlfriend. Go wait outside, baby.

Hanru: If she goes, I go. ''Leave no man behind.'' We stay together, remember?

Cliff: Fine. You can stay.

Hanru: So, a Beretta 418. The 007 gun. That's small enough for her to lift up. (Thinking) I need to think of an excuse to do some research. (Out loud) Oh, I almost forgot. I have to check my Email. I'm applying for a college online. They told me to check my Email within 3 to 4 days.

Cliff: In the garage you told me you had no idea what you wanted be. And you told me that you suck at school. What are you even gonna study in college?

Hanru: I guess we all have secrets. Don't we, Cliff?

Cliff: No one's gonna let you use their computer anyway. They don't know you.

Hanru: That's okay, I have internet on my phone. The iPhone is a gift from above. Now if you would excuse me. (Walks outside)

Gina: What was that about? That was a bit awkward and intense.

Cliff: This kid is asking too many questions about Mable.

Gina: So? Weren't you the one who told him that people do different things to find out what they want to be in life? Maybe he wants to be a detective. What are you so worried about anyway?

Cliff: This kid. The way he's acting. Him and his friends. I don't trust them. They're weird.

Gina: Well yeah... I mean they go to the bathroom together. How weird is that?

(Lee walks up to Earl in his garage.)

Lee: Yo. What's crackin' my good man?

Earl: I see you're still lingering around like a bad odor. Where's your friend?

Lee: We're not boyfriends; we don't hang around each other all day.

Earl: Oh, so you're not gay?

Lee: Not at all. Why would you think that?

Earl: Well don't be surprised if my wife comes out wanting to show you a fashion catalog.

Lee: I'm interested in fashion. Can I talk to her about it?

Earl: Yeah, sure. I'm a little busy out here and she's all alone in there. Some company would do her good.

Lee: I thought you didn't like your wife?

Earl: I love my wife. But sometimes I say things that are the complete opposite of what I really think.

Lee: So you actually liked Mable.

Earl: No I hated her guts. Nothing's gonna change that.

Lee: Okay. So I guess I'll be heading inside now.

(Lee and Janice are in the living room talking.)

Janice: So you're not gay?

Lee: No.

Janice: Ah, well. Would've been cool if you were.

Lee: (Shakes head yes and smiles) Not really.

Janice: So. What should we talk about now, since you're obviously not a big fan of fashion?

Lee: How about your husband?

Janice: My husband? Why would you want to talk about my husband?

Lee: (Talks softly) I think he may have killed Ms. Mable.

Janice: You know, I think he did too.

Lee: Really?

Janice: Yep. The night she died, I felt him get out of bed. It was around 10:52 PM. What a lot of people don't know is that Mable was actually drugged when she died. I overheard the police talking about it. They knew Mable's reputation, so they kept the drug part a secret. My husband's a Pharmacist, so he knows all about drugs and pills and all that. The police discovered drugs in Mable's body, but they didn't test to see what drug was used. My husband told me exactly how he would kill Mable if he was a killer. How she died was exactly the way he planned it. Well, kinda.

Lee: What drug was used? Do you know?

Janice: Well, a few weeks ago, Earl was telling me about a drug that completely paralyzes the human body within 5 minutes.

Lee: Do you mind telling me what his plan was?

Janice: I shouldn't talk anymore. I'm only telling you this to get back at him. He sometimes says some pretty messed up things. I know he doesn't mean it, but still, it hurts.

(Earl comes in angry.)

Earls: What, you think I killed that old hag?!

Janice: Yes. And so does he. A stranger knows about you murdering someone. That makes you scared, doesn't it? At anytime, he could tell the cops and they'll arrest you.

Lee: (Scared) Hey don't get me involved!

Earl: I didn't kill her, Janice!

Janice: Do you mind explaining the gun then? You went out and bought a Beretta 418. That was the same gun used to kill Mable.

Earl: I think you better leave now, kid!

Lee: Yes, sir. (Runs out the front door as fast as he can in fear.)

Earl: I can't believe you, Janice.

Janice: Maybe you'll stop saying cruel things to me now.

(Mimi is talking to Betsy in her kitchen.)

Betsy: I have a bit of a BINGO obsession. I was out playing longer than I should've. I was suppose to be watching the neighborhood. But I lost track of time and stayed out too long.

Mimi: Sounds fun. Did you win big?

Betsy: (Smiles) Oh it was fun. Sadly I didn't win big. But I at least won something.

[Minutes later]

(Hanru, Lee and Mimi meet up at the corner of the block. They have all told each other everything they know.)

Mimi: So, Earl's the killer.

Hanru: I looked up all gun stores that were close by. I only found one. And it was 7 miles away. I called the number and they described to me the guy who purchased the Beretta. It was Earl.

Mimi: After a whole year, the gun sells-man remembered what he looked like?

Hanru: He said his voice helped him remember.

Lee: Rorschach from Watchmen.

(The three go to Earls front door. Earl answers the door.)

Hanru: It's over. We know it's you. I called the gun store, my friends and I did some investigating. And we know it was you who killed Ms. Mable.

Earl: I didn't kill her. (Slams door)

Lee: How rude.

Mimi: Should we knock again?

Hanru: No. Think about what we just did. We just did some investigating. Like detectives would do. If detectives actually cared and decided to investigate this, they would have found the killer way too easily. This murder was made to look like suicide. That means the person's smart and he didn't want to get caught at any cost. As soon as Janice told you what happened, Earl would have killed you right there, Lee.

Mimi: But what if he let Lee go on purpose, so that you would think that it was someone else?

Hanru: It's too risky. Lee could have told the whole neighborhood by now. But Earl didn't stop Lee.

Mimi: Maybe he felt guilty about killing her, so he didn't care if he went to jail.

Hanru: I could see it in his eyes. He hated Mable. He wouldn't feel guilty about any harm that came to her. And plus, it's been a whole year and not once did he fell guilty. If he did, he would have got drunk or told someone about it. Maybe he did drink, or tell someone. We didn't investigate that.

(The three hear the sound of something quickly scrap against the ground. Sound of footprints)

Lee: Was I the only one who heard that?

Mimi: I heard it. It came from around the corner of the house.

Hanru: The garage.

(Earl then begins to yell from inside the house. The three rush inside and see Earl crying while holding his wife on the floor. Her chest is bleeding.)

Mimi: Oh my gosh! I'll call the police!

Earl: No! Just stay away! Because of you she was shot! Stay away!

Hanru: Oh my gosh, I know what happened. It was Cliff. Cliff told you to get up at 10: 52PM, he told you to buy the gun, he told you to tell your wife about the plan to kill Mable. Cliff knew that you were the only one who didn't like Ms. Mable. When he wanted to kill her, he made it look like you would be the one to kill her if police decided to investigate. They would have had all the evidence they needed to take you to jail. They wouldn't investigate further. Cliff must have told you that he would kill your wife, if you didn't do what he said. Cliff must have distracted Gina by reminiscing about past memories until the time was right to kill Mable. He must have given money to Betsy to play BINGO. He made Gina go in front of Mable's house. In her house she was standing in her window. You must have given her the pills that paralyze her. That way she would stand still through the window. Cliff is an electrician. A few days before Mabel died, he had to fix the wiring of her house. When the doorbell rang, a loud bang was suppose to go off. Cliff went inside alone and he put the gun in Mable's hand. He pulled the trigger with her finger then he removed the silencer. He must have heard us talking from the garage and he ran in here to shot your wife. We didn't hear a sound.

Earl: How could you figure all that out?

Hanru: (Thinking) I've been thinking of a way to expose Cliff of being the killer all day. But I can't tell him the truth. (Says to Earl) I'm sorry. We just wanted to take a walk around the city. And we end up solving a murder and getting someone shot.

Earl: Go! Catch him before he escapes!

Hanru: I don't have a gun, or proper police training. I could get killed easily by doing that.

Earl: You don't have police training? How did you figure all this out? Don't you work with the police or something?

Hanru: My mind is a mystery that not even I can solve. And truthfully... I hate cops.

Mimi: The paramedics should be here any minute. We should get out of here.

Hanru: Right. Oh and. You mind keeping this a secret?

Earl: (Shakes head yes) Sure.

[Barbershop]

(Leo is breaking into a green 1972 Ford Gran Torino. He is using a hanger to pick the lock. He is in front of a barber shop.)

Barber1: (Looks out the window and sees Leo) Hey! Hey, LJ, someone's tryna' jack you.

(LJ quickly looks out the window and sees Leo breaking into his car. He's cutting someone's hair, so when he rushes outside, he cuts all the way through the man's hair. The man screams, but no one pays attention. Three barbers go out with LJ.)

Barber1: Hey! You better back up off my homie's ride, homeboy, before you get dealt with.

Leo: How about you stop making threats like a sissy and do something about it?

(Barber1 jumps at Leo, but is pushed back by LJ.)

LJ: Calm down, man. It's cool.

Barber1: You sure, man?

LJ: It's cool. I got this.

Leo: (Grins) That's right; down Scooby.

Barber1: Ah heck no, G.

(Barber1 jumps at Leo again, but the other two barbers hold him back. He struggles to get out for a few seconds, but isn't strong enough.)

LJ: Calm down! Let me handle my business.

Barber1: (Calms down) Yeah, handle your business.

LJ: Go back inside. I'm sure we got a lot of impatient customers who came for a nice, drama-free haircut. And I'd hate to have give 'em all discounts cause all the barbers left the shop.

Barber2: Yeah, alright.

(The barbers go inside and close the door.)

Leo: You train your dogs well.

LJ: The streets is cold. It's good having man's best friend to back you up.

Leo: Yeah. I've lived on the streets a long time. I know where you're coming from.

LJ: What is it you need with my car, detective?

Leo: I work in homicide. (Shows badge) Your vehicle is needed for an important investigation. Now we can do this the easy way, or the hard way. The choice is yours.

LJ: You're not taking my car.

Leo: Then the hard way it is. (Opens his briefcase and shows him all the guns he has.) I'm not a fan at shooting, but if I have to, then so be it.

LJ: Don't mess up the new paint job, I just got it waxed.

Leo: (Cocky smile and attitude) Smart man.

LJ: I'll get you the keys. I want it back within a week.

[Streets]

(Meukie calls Sarah from a pay phone. Sarah is in a romantic setting bedroom. The only thing she's wearing is a blue robe. It's dark and the only light in the room comes from the candles lit all over the room. Sarah answers her cell phone.)

Sarah: Hello?

Meukie: Hi, Sarah. You told me to call you if I ever wanted to talk, so.

Sarah: Now isn't really a good time. I'm gonna have company over in a little while.

Meukie: Right. Sorry. But, I just wanted to tell you about a friend I have. His name is Hanru. I would really love it if you were to meet him. He's very special to me, and so are you.

Sarah: I don't know, I'll have to think about meeting him. But I have to get going now. We'll talk more later, okay?

Meukie: Sure. And sorry for bothering you.

Sarah: Goodbye. (Hangs up)

Meukie: Bye.

(Someone knocks on Sarah's door. She puts her phone on the dresser, then opens the door slowly.)

Troy: Hey, baby.

Sarah: Come inside.

(Troy walks in. Sarah glances down the hallway. Sarah then closes and locks the door.)

Sarah: Were you followed? Did anyone see you come in?

Troy: I didn't see anyone, but why would I be followed? And why did I have to sneak into your apartment building?

Sarah: I have a son, Troy. I just don't want him meeting any of my clients. And I don't want anyone to know about what I do.

Troy: Whatever.

Sarah: You're absolutely sure no one saw you come in?

Troy: What is this, 20 questions? I came here to satisfy my sexual needs, not to talk. Now, how much?

Sarah: It's 50 buck. I don't kiss and I don't do any weird stuff.

Troy: That's fine with me, baby.

Sarah: You should take off your clothes; we ain't got all day.

(While Troy's turned around, Sarah pulls a kitchen knife out from the robe she's wearing. She looks at it with an evil look in her eye. She gently strokes the knife with her fingers, then puts it back in her robe.)

Sarah: Tell me. Are you into... Bondage?

[Gina's home]

(Hanru and his friends are talking to Gina in her living room. Gina is crying a little bit.)

Gina: I can't believe Cliff would do something so devious to a kind old lady. Why would Cliff do something like this?

Lee: I'm sorry we're making you cry again, I really am, but it's the truth. And sometimes the truth hurts. Like a massive army of cats clawing at your face, like a ball of yarn.

Hanru: (Thinking) I know the truth hurts her, but I have other things to worry about right now. (To Gina) I know it hurts. But we need your help on this. You are gonna have to talk to the police about this.

Gina: No, no. No police.

Hanru: Wait, just listen. You call the cops. And you tell them that your boyfriend Cliff's been disappearing a lot, around the time Mable was killed. You thought he was cheating on you, so you followed him. You realized that he was following Earl, okay? Cliff was stalking Earl because if Ms. Mable was ever murdered, Earl would be the prime suspect. You realized that Cliff was stalking Earl, to find out what he was doing. That way he could come up with a plan using the information he gathered from Earl, to murder Mable and blame it on Earl. I know it may sound a bit confusing. But trust me. If you tell that to the police, Earl will not go to jail. Only Cliff will.

Gina: We can't just tell the police the truth? I mean, Earl was only trying to protect his wife.

Mimi: No. Earl would go to prison for assisting in a homicide. He provided the murder weapon and drugs for Cliff to kill her. Not to mention he helped protect the killer's identity for a whole year.

Lee: We understand what Earl went through. But the police won't.

Hanru: Earl will tell the police that he never knew he was followed. He knew nothing about this. He was actually involved, so when the police question him, his acting will be perfect. He'll be sad over the fact that he helped with the murder and his wife was shot, but the police will think he's sad because he just found out he helped with a murder.

Lee: Oh, and if you're wondering, before we left Earl's home, we told him what to say. Well we left his house, then we went back and told him.

Gina: You kids are smart. I was living with a murderer this whole time and I didn't even know it.

Hanru: (Walks up to Gina and hugs her) Wait until he comes home, then call the police.

Gina: Okay, I will.

Hanru: (Looks Gina in the eye) I'm sorry, but we need to go now. We cannot be here when he comes or when the cops come. I'm sorry.

Gina: Are you sure everything will work out?

Hanru: 110%.

(Hanru and his friends are now leaving Gina's house and walking through her yard.)

Hanru: (Thinking) I know that look. It's a representation of the darkness that lives inside of me. She's not planning to tell the police about this. She's planning to kill Cliff. I recognize the look of murder when I see it. But she wouldn't just murder Cliff for this. Some part of her must have known he was a killer. She must be doing this... For revenge.

(Gina walks into her bedroom and reaches under her mattress. She pulls out a small pistol. The same one used to kill Mable. Gina walks downstairs and pours her a small cup of liquor. She shows nothing but revenge and tears in her face as she nervously drinks. She pulls a scrapbook out from a drawer. Family photos of her and Mable's family are seen. As she looks toward the back of the book. Pictures of most of the family members can be seen dead in caskets.)

[Hanru's home]

(Maid pulls up to Leo's driveway in an SUV. She gets out the car and walks inside of Hanru's house. Lawrence is sitting on the couch, eating pizza and watching T.V)

Lawrence: Hey, want some pizza?

Maid: You know, that stuff's bad for you.

Lawrence: You know, breaking into my house is bad for you.

Maid: Your front door was unlocked.

Lawrence: So, what? That gives you the right to just walk into my home? Who are you anyway?

Maid: Just call me the Maid.

Lawrence: How ironic. You don't look or smell clean at all. You should smell like pizza! Eat one while it's fresh.

Maid: You little brat!

(Maid charges at Lawrence and slashes his face with her nail.)

Lawrence: I was always told to never hit a woman, but judging by the way you look, I'd hardly consider you one.

(Maid goes to slash his face again. Lawrence puts his fingers in between hers to block it. He then pushes her hand back. He snaps her wrist by doing this. Lawrence still holds on to her hand. He pulls Maid toward him and he head butts her in the face. Maid falls back in dizziness. Lawrence throws Maid out on the front porch.)

Lawrence: Now please. Do not disturb me when I'm watching Spongebob. (Says happily) You have a good day now. Bye, bye. (Closes door and locks it)

(The police that were suppose to watch the house forgot about their job and they're just now showing up. They see the Maid lying on the ground in peace and arrest her. They knock on the door after they have her in cuffs. Lawrence answers.)

Cop: Sir, do you know this lady?

Lawrence: She just broke into my home and shanked me with her nails So I snapped her wrist and threw her out. And I offered her pizza, which she foolishly refused.

Cop: You broke her wrist?

Lawrence: Hey, do you know detective Leo Sazuki?

Cop: Sure do. He's the one who told us to watch the place.

Lawernce: Well I'm sure he also told you to not disturb me when I'm watching Spongebob. I'm really getting pissed of!

Cop: My son loves that cartoon. What episode is it?

Lawrence: The health inspector.

Cop: Oh...

Lawrence: Yeah, and I'm getting some pretty good ideas on what to do with people who disturb me.

Cop: Sorry for the trouble sir, we'll be on out way.

Lawrence: Would you like some meat lovers pizza? It has bacon... Oh wait, if you eat pork, that's cannibalism isn't it. My bad! (Hits the cop on the shoulder twice) Peace out. (Closes door, then rolls eyes.)

[Gina and Cliff's house]

(Cliff walks into the house late at night. The neighborhood is empty and the house is completely dark. As soon as Cliff quietly closes the front door, Gina turns on the lamp. She's sitting on a very comfortable looking chair. Cliff gets startled.)

Cliff: Whoa! You scared me, baby. What are you doing up so late?

Gina: Waiting for you.

Cliff: What's with the "turning on the lamp when I walk in thing"? What movie Is that from?

Gina: I don't know, Cliff. I just did it for dramatic effect.

Cliff: Well it was certainly dramatic.

Gina: You killed them, didn't you? You killed everybody. It wasn't just Mable, was it? You killed her entire family. Why?

Cliff: So you know?

Gina: I know everything. And after I'm done with you, I'm telling the entire neighborhood about what you did, then I'm moving away.

Cliff: By done with me... You mean kill me, right?

Gina: Yeah. But not before you tell me why you killed Mable and her family. Some part of me always knew you were a killer, but you were such a sweet guy, I just ignored my inner feelings.

Cliff: I'm not gonna tell you why I killed her family, Gina. I'm sorry.

Gina: Fine.

(Gina pulls a pistol out from under the chair she's sitting on. She points the gun at Cliff and shoots without hesitation.)

Gina: I know who you use to be, Cliff. You hustled for a living, before I found you and gave you the self esteem you needed to go back to school and get a job. I still remember your old crew. On your grave, Cliff... I swear to kill them all. (Stands up and spits on Cliff's dead body.)

[Hospital]

Hanru is at the hospital. He's holding hands with Holly and the two of them are walking down the hall. Earl is walking the opposite way, so he stops to talk to Hanru. He's in a good mood.)

Earl: Well hello, Amigo. And to you too, Miss.

Holly: Uh... Hi? I guess. Do I know you?

Earl: No. And it's a shame you don't.

Hanru: Right. Sorry. Holly, this is Earl. I helped him out with something yesterday.

Holly: Oh, okay.

Hanru: Yeah. And Earl, this is my girlfriend, Holly. We're hear visiting her grandmother.

Earl: Sounds cool. I don't mean to be rude, but do you mind if I talk to Hanru alone?

Holly: Sure, no problem. I'll just meet you in my grandmother's room.

(Holly tries to kiss Hanru but Hanru hugs her instead.)

Hanru: Okay. (Holly walks away in disappointment.)

Earl: I just wanted to say thank you for everything. My wife, Janice, she'll survive. But she was beyond lucky. She was shot three times in the chest. But none of the bullets pierced her heart.

Hanru: Well that's good. I'm glad she's still alive.

Earl: Yeah. But I felt something. In the room. It was like a spirit. I think it was her guardian angel.

Hanru: It could've been the spirit of Ms. Mable. She probably wanted to do something nice for both you and her. I think she forgives you for hating her.

Earl: You know, I was thinking the exact same thing.

(Holly runs toward Hanru in excitement.)

Holly: Hanru! (Stops in front of him)

Hanru: Yeah?

Holly: I have great news!

Hanru: What is it?

Holly: My grandmother's lung cancer is gone! It just disappeared. But her lungs are too badly damaged. She'll still die. But she has a longer time and she doesn't feel as much pain as she did before. (Hugs Hanru)

(Hanru hears the voice of Mable)

Mable: Thank you for helping me find peace.

Hanru: (Thinking) Thank you, for all the good you have brought upon many who were in need of it. I don't know if the voice I'm hearing is just from my self conscious or if it's real. Either way... I know I've helped Mable. Looks like I've discovered a new side to myself, but all that does is create another voice in my head. Hopefully a good one this time.

TO BE CONTINUED...
♠ ♠ ♠
In this Chapter, more is learned about the characters. This is one of my favorite Chapters to write for volume one. Of course I didn't plan this out. I just wrote whatever came to mind. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I think Volume one would be the less liked volume. The story lines for the other volumes are much better than the first one. 1-4-10