Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Five Chapter Forty-One: Life (Spring 2014)

(It’s a bit breezy this cloudy day. The withering trees in this isolated forest can be heard blowing against each other like faint tinkering sounds of leaves applauding the angelic singing of the blowing wind.)

(A 2013 red Toyota Corolla parks in the center of a wide open patch of land surrounded by tall dying trees. The ground is covered in leaves but more continue to fall to the ground do to the wind slightly picking up from the approaching rain storm. Inside the car is a man in his 40's wearing blue jeans and a white T-shirt with a brown leather coat over it, two men in the back seat and one in the front seat all wearing black suits, and a terrified young blonde teenage boy around 17 in the backseat surrounded by the two men in the suits. Everyone seems calm and collected, but the suspense is slowly eating away at them from the inside. Especially the boy, who is obviously having a hard time being calm. The man in the casual clothing in the driver seat turns around to look at the young man and sighs.)

Boy: (Nervously nods) So… this looks like the perfect place to go camping…

Man1: If I were you, I would keep my mouth shut; wouldn’t wanna give my boss any ideas now…

Boy: Hey, sir… I don’t mean to speak outta line here, but what was the purpose for bringing me out here?

Boss: (Faces forward and speaks in Italian accent) Kid, I really like you, you know, under the circumstances you kept a cool head and not once have you given me a reason to hurt you or throw you back there in the trunk. You see, I’m a family man and my family don’t like when I go around throwing bodies in the trunk; it stains the rug. Do you have any idea how difficult it is washing blood-stains out of a carpet? Probably not, but let me tell ya, after the fourth time, my wife made me clean it up; I’ve learnt my lesson about doing that again, tch. (Shakes head)

Boy: Well I should be thanking your wife for allowing me the opportunity to not be thrown in the trunk.

Boss: Yeah… (Stares at the kid silently for 4 seconds) Let me ask you something, kid, what… have you done with your life so far?
Boy: Ah… Well what do most guys my age do? I mean I go to school; work part-time, sometimes do yard work on the weekends for my neighbors.

Boss: You got a girlfriend?

Boy: Uh, yeah. Actually, I do. She and I don’t have much time together cause of our work schedules but we try and make things work. After I graduate in the fall, I think I’m gonna tie the knot with her.

Boss: (Smiles) Young love: Such a beautiful thing. I really admire it. I got a son and a daughter of my own. They’re discovering love for the first time, and the climax to their stories are going to end the exact same way I feel about them being in love: Heartbreaking. But I’m a father. It’s my job to help prepare and strengthen these kids for the future. It’s a mother’s job to feel sorry for them and tell them all that lovey-dovey stuff that makes kids grow up not feeling neglected.

Boy: Speaking from experience, sir, but from a child’s perspective comforting words spoken from a father is just as important as from a mother. My father; he was always around, but never gave me the emotional attention I felt I needed from him, and as I went into high school, I began really disliking him and who he was as a person. I am grateful for my life and all, but if I wasn’t born from my mother and father, I would have been born into a different family. And if I wasn’t… then I wouldn’t be alive to complain about the problems I have now.

Boss: Well, I definitely don’t want my children feeling about me the way you do with your old man. You’ve taught me a valuable lesson, kid. Now, I asked you about a boy earlier. His name is Hanru Sazuki. I need to find him and I’ve left a trail of bodies proving my determination for how badly I want this kid, and if you cooperate, you won’t be one of them.

Boy: You asked me that before and it’s like I said- I don’t know where… or who this guy is…

Boss: See you’re a good kid. So good in fact, that you’re innocence makes you a bad liar. Now you get one more chance to tell me who he is, or we’re going camping, if you know what I mean.

Boy: I promised I wouldn’t say anything… He helped me once and keeping his secret is the only way I could repay him for what he did for me.

Boss: You know I’ll find him eventually. I’ll just keep leaving a trail of bodies until I do. Every person I kill from this moment on will be on you because you didn’t wanna tell the truth. Now do you still think that keeping this secret is worth it in the end?

Boy: (Tries to hold back tears) No… Okay, I’ll tell you where he lives.

Boss: Great! (Exits the vehicle)

(The three men in suits get out of the car as well and pull the boy out.)

Boss: Now come here. I want you to look at this.

(The men in the suits firmly hold the boy’s arms and pull him over to the front of the car. The boy’s heart drops into his stomach after his eyes bear witness to a 5 foot rectangular hole in the ground.)

Boy: No, NO! (Struggles to try and get away but fails) GET OFF OF ME! Let me go!

(Two of the suited men slam the boy down to the ground on his back and pin him down. He becomes paralyzed for a few seconds and then calms down. The boss stands over him with a clean silver pistol in his hand. Out of the grave comes another young man in his early 20’s covered in dirt from digging.)

Boss: Look kid, I need you to calm down and keep cool, alright? Otherwise, I’m gonna have to go another way with you. You’re at a crossroads right now between life or death, and how you handle yourself in this situation will decipher which path you’re gonna take. Now I need you to cooperate with me like you been doing, can you do that for me, son?

Boy: (Terrified and nods) Y-Yeah…

Boss: Yeah? Well, good. We might all just go home with a clean conscience tonight and a blessing for living another day. Now my plan is to bring the kid here and bury him in that hole instead of you. Now you’re gonna help me set up how I want him killed. I want you to go out into this forest and find me some sticks. Make sure they’re strong, and bring me some leaves. Chop-chop.

(After about 30 minutes, the boy tosses a bunch of sticks and leaves into the hole. Two suited men hold on to his arms.)

Boss: (Walks up to the boy and makes eye-contact) Alright, good. So now you’ve proven your loyalty. I know I can trust you. Now all you have to do is tell me where he is, and I will drive you home and deliver you to your front door myself; you have my word.

Boy: He… (Sniffs and clears throat) He’s living in Chicago. He’s in one of the poor neighborhoods in a two-story house… That’s all I know…

Boss: Thank you, kid.

(The boy gets shot through the stomach by the boss. Still alive and desperately trying to breathe and hold his leaking wound, the two suited men throw him in the hole. The other man in a suit reaches under the leaves by the hole and raises a giant wooden door with square holes in it. He flips it over the hole to trap the boy inside. The boy holds his stomach in pain and cries out in agony and fear.)

Boy: (Crying) Ah… Please help me… I’m sorry… I’m so sorry, just help me please. Don’t let me di-i-ie… Ah…!!! Help! (Desperately tried to stand up and crawl while whispering loudly) Please, please, please, please…

Young Man: Uncle Jack, we should probably get this over with. Tommy’s got a soccer game in little over an hour.

Jack: Gas him.

(The three men pour cans of alcohol not on the boy but on all of the leaves and sticks underneath him.)

Jack: You watch him and make sure he’s dead. I’m gonna be late for my son’s game.

(Jack sets a match and throws it into the hole. The boy screams and jumps around as the flames burn and consume his feet and ankles. Jack hops into his tiny red car. The other young boy casually salutes him goodbye as he drives off.)

[Interrogation Room]

(A very angry detective is sitting in an interrogation room across from the boy who was just in the forest in the hole. The point of view in this room is seen from the recording camera hidden behind the one-way mirror.)

Connors: (Covers his face with his two palms) I'm gonna need you to help us out here. I understand if it's hard for you to explain the situation, but this man- Jack Gustavo, only leaves his castle to handle serious business. Who is this kid and why did Gustavo want him?

Boy: (Crying) I don't know...

Connors: You're lying. (Trying to remain calm and sighs) I need to know why Gustavo wanted this kid Hanru Sazuki killed. I mean please help me out here. A kid is dead and I have no idea why. Why did was his victim targeted? Why did he kill such a young kid? Did you make a deal with him to get out of the hole?

(Studio Apartment)

(Hanru is sitting on a stool tracing the rim of a coffee mug filled with hot tea in front of him. Jessica walks up to him and smacks a newspaper in front of him on the island. Hanru is dumbfounded.)

Hanru: … Am I supposed to use this for toilet paper or something?

(Hanru grabs the newspaper and looks at the picture.)

Jessica: From what you’ve told me, this guy was rotten to the core. If he were an apple, the rest of the bundle wouldn’t rot because of how bad this kid was.

Hanru: I recognize him now. He was my uncle’s friend’s grandson.

Jessica: The media said there was an argument over a skateboard and it escalated into a shooting which got him killed.

Hanru: This guy was only 17 years old, and he got himself killed. That’s… just awful.

Jessica: (Walks away to grab tea from counter) So what do you think, Sherlock? What really happened?

Hanru: This kid’s was involved with drug-dealing, and gang violence from what I’ve heard. He pulled a pistol on two of my uncles for situations that were none of his business. He never had respect for anyone, he was never disciplined, whenever he did something back, his grandfather never punished him and now he’s gone. Most likely what actually happened was a deal gone wrong or he went to the park and started shooting up the place.

Jessica: Now check this out. There was a second paper on this story that just came and it explains what happened after he was killed.

Hanru: Wait, how old is this paper?

Jessica: A couple weeks. But I didn’t recognize him until they said his name on the to-be-continued story. His parents made a monument for him after he was killed and overnight, the monument was burned down. His grandparents rebuilt it and in the process, were forced to hear racial slurs from random strangers driving by. After the monument was rebuild, it was burned down again overnight.

Hanru: People these days have no respect for the dead.

Jessica: Yeah, that may be true, but in today’s society, does respect even exist? (Takes a sip of tea)

Hanru: (Shrugs) I guess not. (Puts paper down and stares at his tea blankly)

Jessica: (Teasing a bit) Uh-oh. Someone has their thinking face on. (Instantly gets a bit upset) Or is that a sad face? Puts tea down and quickly runs up to Hanru) Oh gosh, Hanru, I’m so sorry. (Tightly hugs Hanru) I wasn’t trying to upset you; I just thought you should know about what happened to him.

Hanru: Jessica… (Gently removes Jessica’s arm and makes eye-contact) He was a trouble-maker. But now he’s gone. I don’t know how to feel about that, to be honest. But… He’s gone and I don’t think he deserves to be praised for being dead.

Jessica: You’re right; it was very insensitive for me to be excited over his death. I mean it’s a good thing he is gone, but it’s still sad.

Hanru: I should head out now.

(Hanru stands up and Jessica takes a few steps back.)

Jessica: No, please stay here with me. I’m so, so sorry.

Hanru: That face I was making just now wasn’t a sad face; it was a thinking face. I was thinking about finding out who burned down the monument… twice.

Jessica: You know how dangerous that is. Hanru, don’t you dare go out in the street and get involved in this stuff again!

Hanru: Jessica-

Jessica: (Angered) No! If you get killed out there, because of me, I’ll never be able to live this down! Don’t you dare put me through that!

Hanru: Alright. It’s not like me finding out who did it is gonna somehow alter the past anyway. (Sits back down) But I’m passing this one up for you, okay? I’m done with all of that.

Jessica: (Crossing arms) Thank you…

(Awkward moment of silence)

Hanru: So, what’s for lunch?

Jessica: (Chuckles) I don’t know; what are you gonna cook?

Hanru: (Smiles) Oh you want me to cook? Unless you want to permanently scar your taste buds, I suggest we order a pizza.

Jessica: Oh, how romantic.

(Both chuckle at each other.)

(Doctor’s Office)

(Lee and the beautiful blonde Nicky sit alone in the doctor’s office impatiently waiting for the doctor to return. Lee presses his leg against the desk and rocks his chair back and forth while it balances on its back legs. The long-haired brunette female doctor walks in and sits at her desk. Nicky smacks Lee’s legs and he quickly drops them off the desk.)

Doctor: Miss, Nicky. I wasn’t expecting you 'till next week for your checkup. You seemed to be very distraught and confused over the phone. Wanna tell me what’s the emergency?

Nicky: My boyfriend and I were… showering together and he noticed I was spotting.

Lee: It was like she was a dog in heat or something.

Doctor: Uh-huh… Ms. Nicky, have you been experiencing any sudden outburst of emotion, such as anxiety or depression?

Nicky: Not that I can recall.

Lee: (Whispers under his breath and rolls his eyes) Yeah, okay.

Doctor: Since your pregnancy, has any additional stress been added to your life?

Nicky: No, the baby’s father’s been doing a great job taking care of me. I know it’s only been a little over a month, but he’s really committed.

(Nicky turns to Lee, smiles, and gently squeezes his hand.)

Doctor: (Dumbfounded) O-o-oh… This is the baby’s father? This is the man who got you pregnant?

Lee: What, did you think I was her bodyguard or something?

Doctor: I apologize. I didn’t mean to assume the two of you weren’t together, but it’s just odd for a woman of your age to be with a man of such primal stage of youth.

Nicky: I’m not a cougar or anything. I was just feeling… (Looks at the doctor’s focused facial expression) It was just one of those moments, ya know, and things just went too far and I ended up getting pregnant. We understand couples like us aren’t seen every day, but we’ve come to terms that we’re different and we accept one another for our age differences.

Doctor: Have you thought about abortion? I mean this boy doesn’t seem like good candidate to be this baby’s caretaker. He looks like he can barely take care of himself. He’s not daddy material.

Lee: Hey, lady, I can take care of myself; when she’s too tired to cook, I know how to make a TV dinner. And I have daddy material. I’ll slap this daddy material across your face.

Nicky: Okay, stop it, please. Look, doctor. I was bleeding not too long ago and I was crying on the drive over here. I need to know if my baby is okay.

Doctor: Have you had any cramps, lower back pains, or abnormal vaginal discharge?

Nicky: Yes. Yes to all of them.

Doctor: Okay, we’ll get you checked up as soon as we possibly can alright? We’ll see what’s going on with you.

(High school gym)

(It is evening time and the cheerleaders have just finished practiced. They are all packing their bags in the locker room and conversing amongst one another. A pretty young blonde girl with blonde hair and light green eyes walks into the locker room in a towel after taking a shower. As she walks in, all of the other girls instantly become silenced and stare at the blonde girl. She seems really embarrassed as she looks around at all the other girls fully dressed. She stares down at the ground and quickly paces herself to her locker in the middle of the girls. They all glare at her like the face on an oil painting with devilish grins on their faces. A girl with short light-brown hair and black highlights talks up to her with 4 other girls behind her.)

Gretchen: Hey, Amber; getting out of the shower late again, I see.

Amber: (Nervous and avoiding eye-contact) Yeah…

Gretchen: You have nothing to be ashamed of; we’re all girls here; we all squat when we pee. Unless… You have something to hide… (Dramatically opens her mouth in surprising manner)

Amber: (Putting in locker combination) Nope. Nothing to hide, Gretchen… You guys are usually gone around this time; you throwing a surprise pregame party again? (Tries to open locker but it gets stuck) Dang it.

Gretchen: (Looks at locker; looks at Amber, and smiles) I’m surprised you’re so friendly with the idea of going to one of my pregame parties after your little incident last year.

(Amber puts in the first combination to her locker. A large rumble is heard and time begins to slowly shift its motion.)

Amber: (Lying) I have no idea what you’re talking about, Gretchen?

(The second combination is entered. Hearts begin to beat and grins begin to further manifest.)

Gretchen: You know… that incident you had during practice when you forgot you were in public and not at home getting your diapers changed by mommy and daddy.

(Hearts begins to beat faster. Amber hits the last number and the click breaks the tension in the room.)

Amber: (Turns to Gretchen in slight confidence) Nope. You have me confused with some other girl. (Turns and opens her locker)

Gretchen: (Smiles) Maybe this will jog your memory.

(A rope is snapped inside of Amber’s locker and a paintball gun inside is triggered. The paintball gun shoots fully-automatic and shoots Amber multiple times in the face and all over her neck. In her panic, her towel accidentally falls off and she’s shot in the chest and stomach. She trips over the bench and as she’s falling, she gets shot in the eye and in the hair. The shooting stops after about 15 seconds. She lies on the ground crying and holding her left eye. All of the girls in the room laugh and point at her humiliating and painful misfortune.)

Gretchen: Wow! It looks like you did have something to hide after all. You’re a girl, but still; with that thing, you’d make a great butch. You should go lesbian!

(Everyone continues laughing.)

Cheerleader: Hey, Amber, you recognize that smell? Those paintballs are made from the dump you took in your pants last year during practice. (Laughs) Yep, we saved it all for you!

Cheerleader2: Happy birthday!

(Everyone continues to laugh at her misery. Moments pass and everyone has left the locker room, except Amber; she lies on the floor alone and humiliated. She slowly sits up and rubs the back of her head. She looks at her palm and sees smears of blood on her hand. About 20 minutes pass and Amber once again goes into the showers. She turns them on but the water comes out freezing cold. After a few seconds of hesitation, she goes into the freezing cold water and 5 seconds later, the water is cutoff. Amber has no choice but to put on her sweat-covered cheerleading outfit and she heads towards the door to leave the locker room. As she gets to the door, the female coach walks up behind her. A shadow figure spies on the two of them from behind the lockers.)

Coach: Amber, what are you doing here so late?

(Amber is hesitant, but she turns around and looks at her nervous female coach.)

Coach: Whoa! What happened to your eye?

(The shadow figure continues to stare and keep his attention on them.)

Amber: I’m okay, coach; It was an accident.

Coach: An accident? The skin on your eyelid is tearing off, your hair is a mess and you smell like feces and sweat.

Amber: (Shrugs) What can I say? That’s how I roll. I better get going no-

(A loud banging noise is heard and the shadow figure watching them appears to be a man dressed up in a fancy brown suit. He nervously stands up and clears his throat.)

Amber: Mr. Galloway?

Coach: (Nervous) What are you doing here in the girls locker room, Galloway?! I had no idea you were here.

Amber: It’s okay, coach. I always leave the gym later than the other girls. I know the two of you are secretly seeing each other.

Coach: (Sighs and scratches head) Does anyone else know about this?

Amber: No. I kept it to myself.

Coach: This stays between us, okay? I can't lose my job because of this; I have too many responsibilities.

Amber: I won’t tell anyone.

Coach: You better not. Okay, get outta here.

(Amber leaves the locker room in haste. Amber leaves the gym and the sky is beginning to get dark. As she walks through the campus of her empty high school, she sees another student sitting down on a bench looking up at the stars. She freezes up like a dear in headlights.)

Amber: (Whispers) Please don’t see me, please don’t see me…

Student: (Waves and smiles) Hey, Amber.

Amber: (Says to self) Darn it. (Says to him) Hey, Cody!

Cody: Come over here!

(Amber cautiously walks up to Cody but keeps her distance. Cody’s body size is a bit over-average but he isn’t too big. He looks as if he could be an athlete.)

Cody: (Smiles) Hey, Amber. What’re you doing here so late?

Amber: Uhm… just doing some drills. You know how we cheerleaders overwork ourselves. (Nervously chuckles)

Cody: You smell like someone took a dump on you.

Amber: They did… well, my locker did.

Cody: teammates giving you a hard time again?

Amber: (Nods) Yeah. Yeah, it’s not always easy being a cheerleader.

Cody: Hey, you going to Gretchen’s party Saturday?

Amber: Gretchen and I don’t really get along like we used to…

Cody: Yeah You two used to be tight back in the day.

Amber: Um… so hey, Cody, I’m gonna get going now.

Cody: Yeah, you smell pretty awful; you should get to the shower.

Amber: (Embarrassed) Yeah…

Cody: Hey, so, after you shower and everything, and get yourself all fixed up; you wanna go to Gretchen’s party with me?

Amber: (Smiles with enthusiasm but tries to hold in her excitement) Wow, um… so sudden… I… would love to go to the party… but only with you. I’m not gonna embarrass myself anymore by showing up alone to a party I was never invited to originally.

Cody: Awesome. Gretchen slipped up and told me how you’ve had a crush on me for a while now. Instead of peaking behind corners and kissing drawings you made of me without me knowing, you should have just told me you were interested.

Amber: (Sighs) She told you I did all of that? I didn’t. I’m not that much of a weirdo.

Cody: (Shrugs) Well, if you say so. So it’s a date. I’ll see you Saturday.

Amber: Yeah… I’ll see you later.

(Amber quickly walks away with a big smile on her face like a little girl at a candy store. She turns the corner and runs into a nerdy-looking kid with glasses. Her attitude instantly changes. She becomes less excited and a bit impatient. He seems very creepy but nervous at the same time.)

Bucky: Hey, Amber…

Amber: Hey, Bucky, what’s up?

Bucky: I uh, waited for you… you know, after the science fair. I looked out for you, but you were nowhere in sight.

Amber: (Looks down at his shirt) Oh you won first place. That’s great.

Bucky: I saw your practice today. I was behind the bleachers cheering you on in silence. I didn’t want anyone seeing me and calling me a creeper again or reporting me for sexual harassment again. Plus, I didn’t want to soil your reputation, after you accidentally soiled your underwear last year…

Amber: You’re sweet. Bucky, thank you. You know, you go out of your way a lot for me.

Bucky: (Avoids eye-contact) Most girls would be freaked out by the things I do for you…

Amber: You’re a sweet guy, and I know you would never hurt anybody. Plus… I know what it’s like to… “Follow” someone.

Bucky: You mean stalk them, like you do Cody?

Amber: … Yeah… I should get going now, Bucky.

Bucky: (Really nervous and scared) Well wait. Why don’t you come to my house to shower up? If you get home smelling the way you do now, your parents will question you, and I assume the girls pulled another prank on you again, and I know you would hate having to explain the whole thing to your parents. My parents are home and so is my grandma so you know for sure I won’t do anything weird. I just… want to help you out…

Amber: We’ve been friends for years, Bucky. I trust you.

Bucky: (Hesitantly smiles) Thank you…

(Amber is in Bucky’s shower scrubbing her hair with shampoo a half hour later, when her cell phone rings. Amber quickly rinses the soap out of her hair and seconds later steps out of the shower to reach for her phone. She answers it.)

Amber: Hey, dad. (4 seconds pass) Yeah, I’ll be there soon. I’m just at a friend’s house right now, but I’ll be on my way back soon.

(Amber is sitting at the dining room table with her parents, little brother and sister. They all are quiet and seem to be enjoying their Alfredo pasta. Amber is very distanced and emotionally withheld from her parents.)

Dad: So, Amber. Any plans this weekend?

Amber: … Uh… No. I might just study over at Tina’s house or something. I’ve got a lot to… (Hesitates and looks at her dad a second before turning away from him) Actually I want to be ahead of my class so I might do some extra studying.

Dad: You sure you’re not going to Gretchen’s pregame party this year? Usually you go.

Amber: I’m sure, dad…

Dad: Hey… I’m your father, remember? You know you can talk to me about anything and I’ll always be here for you.

Amber: (Looks at her dad) You always say that, dad, but when I tell you… (Sighs and shakes her head) Never mind.

Dad: I promise, Amber. I’m here for you. I don’t want you keeping secrets from me. So tell me what’s going on?

Amber: Well… I am going to Gretchen’s party.

Dad: See, now was that so hard?

Amber: … With Cody…

Dad: … oh… Well honestly I don’t like you out when it’s dark anyway, and I think you’d be better off studying at home or with Tina.

Amber: It’s just one night for a few hours, dad. And Tina is probably going to the party too.

Dad: Your grandma is resting right now because of her surgery, and I don’t want any negative energy around her while she’s recovering, so calm down, Amber.

Amber: (A bit irritated) I am calm, dad.

Dad: Sure. So this party-

(Amber rolls her eyes in annoyance because she knows that her father is saying “sure” to blow her off and change the subject.)

Dad: (Clears throat) You said you’re gonna be there for a few hours. Well you know it only takes a second for your grandmother to fall and be paralyzed on the floor so…

(Amber’s face creates an annoyed look and she very silently sighs for a split second.)

Dad: Hey, calm down. Don’t get an attitude with me. I’m just telling you what’s going on is all. You know, your mother and I are falling behind on rent, so we’re gonna work on Saturday so we don’t get put out in the street next week, so you need to stay here with your little brother and your sister and take care of grandma.

Amber: What? But wait, Saturday is your off day! Just yesterday you told me you had errands to run in the morning so you couldn’t work!

Dad: (Says casually) Yeah well I change my mind. Hey, Amber, honey, could you pass me the salt?

Amber: What’s the magic word?

Dad: Now.

(Amber sighs and reaches over the table to give her father the salt.)

Amber: Dad, you can’t just change your mind at the last minute. Remember after your errands, you were supposed to take me to the music store to buy me a violin for practice cause I’m falling behind.

Dad: Don’t use me as an excuse to why you’re failing. I know there are other kids in your class who are passing and have no instruments in their house. Violins are expensive these days and that class is stupid anyway.

Amber: But, dad, playing violin is one of my dreams.

Dad: You won’t get anywhere in life except out in the streets playing violin for a living. Do something that actually matters to the world.

Amber: (Sad) Dad, this is the first time I ever mentioned my dream to you, and you don’t even care.

Dad: It’s a stupid dream, I’m sorry honey. Now I love you and all, but something’s not right in that pretty little head of yours if you think violin is gonna make a positive change in the world. I think you should drop the class since you’re failing at it so bad, but it’s supposedly your “dream”, and it distracts you from your important studies, so I think you should drop it. And as for this party thing, I think you should take a pass on that this year-

Amber: What?!

Dad: - and stay at home to study ahead of your class.

Amber: Dad, I wasn’t serious about studying with Tina!

Dad: Eh, well either way, I think it’s a great idea. Trust me; this is a great chance for you to score some high grades. (Winks at Amber) You’ll be alright, in life, you need to learn to take opportunities when they present themselves to you. That’s what you need to learn.

Amber: (Takes a deep breath) Dad…

Dad: So, just take a pass on this year’s party, and stay home with grandma. You’ll live.

Amber: Mom, please, be on my side for once. Dad, I actually have a date this time… He asked me and it was someone I’ve had a crush on for years.

Dad: That’s okay, just call him up and cancel. Problem solved. (Continues eating) This is amazing pasta, dear. You must have used some new seasoning or something, mmm.

Amber: Hello! We were in the middle of a conversation here.

Dad: (Frustrated) Fine. You wanna go so bad, then go. Just leave your siblings and your grandma here alone; I’m sure they’ll be fine. Let’s just hope that she doesn’t need her pain medication or doesn’t accidentally fall down and give herself another concussion.

Amber: (Disbelief) Now you’re trying to make me feel guilty...

Dad: I’m not making you do anything. You’re choosing to make yourself feel guilty. Stop blaming other people for your problems and toughen up already! Ah! Look, I’ll take off work Saturday so you can go to your stupid party. We might be a little short on the rent again, and we might get kicked out but ya know… go have fun at your little thing.

Amber: (Holding her tears back) How can I be excited about going now after you just laid this guilt trip on me?

Dad: There you go blaming me again.

Amber: Well yeah-

Dad: (Cuts her off) –AH, AH, cut it. Just cut it. We’re moving on and if that bothers you, you can go upstairs. Actually no, you can’t, because in life, you can’t just go upstairs to your room; you gotta deal with things. So you deal with this and eat your dinner. I’ve made up my mind; I’m calling off work, so you go to our party, or not. I don’t care, but I’m not going to work anymore.

(There is awkward silence at the table.)

[Night of the party; 3 days later]

(Amber stands in her room looking at herself in the mirror wearing a knee-high long sleeveless black dress. Her father walks to her door and knocks on it two times before walking in.)

Dad: That your new dress?

Amber: Yeah, dad, do you like it?

Dad: It’s an alright dress. But I mean you’re going to a teenage party so I wouldn’t expect you to look too fancy.

(Amber get’s a bit saddened but doesn’t say anything or allow her father to see her disappointed face.)

Dad: Have a good time, honey. If you need anything just give me a ring.

Amber: Yeah, dad. Okay.

(Her father walks away. Amber’s mother walks in after her father leaves and she approaches Amber with an enthusiastic smile.)

Mom: Oh, my baby. You look so beautiful. (Hugs Amber)

Amber: Thanks, mom…

Mom: Hey, don’t let what your father says get you down. You’re doing great in everything you do, and I’m proud of you. (Makes eye-contact and smiles at Amber)

Amber: (Cracks a grin) Thanks, mom.

Mom: Now, I just saw your date pull up out front. You should head down there.

Amber: Mom… Do I look… trashy in this dress…?

Mom: No, honey… Why would you think that? You’re fine.

Amber: I just don’t wanna look too over-dressed. Dad says I look underdressed, but I’m worried I’m being too formal with my outfit.

Mom: I’ll tell you what: a woman should always feel comfortable in her own body. So you don’t worry about anyone else. You wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and confidant, okay? And I’ll try and stall with your date, if that’s ok?

Amber: Sure, mom… Just don’t say anything too embarrassing and please don’t let dad meet him; Please.

Mom: (Winks at Amber) Gotcha. Now you be quick and I’ll be downstairs killing time.

Amber: (Excited) Okay, go! Thanks so much, mom.

[Driving to the party]

(Cody is driving a black charger to the party and Amber is in the passenger seat. The sound of the engine fills the air and the vibrations of its roar tingles the seats. They both seem to be enjoying it but the atmosphere seems rather awkward as Amber sits in her seat shy.)

Cody: (Teasing) So, uh… I thought you’d be more excited to be out on a date with the guy you had a crush on for years.

Amber: I’m just very shy is all… I’ve been that way my whole life. (Nervously chuckles)

Cody: I know what it is; you don’t trust me. I know this all seems so hard to believe. I mean you going out on a date with me- I know most girls’ hearts would be beating out of their chest if they had the chance to date their crush. But I’m only human and this might be a once-in-a-lifetime event so if I were you, I’d enjoy it as much as I can.

Amber: (Turns to Cody) That’s true. But time seems to fly when you’re having fun, and I want all the time I can possibly spend with you. So in the end… maybe me not being so excited is a good thing.

Cody: (Smiles and laugh) You got me there. That is a good point. See you’re funny. I don’t know what those other girls keep talking about. You’re smart, beautiful and funny. And I love the idea of you coming out with me in casual clothing- jeans and a white T-shirt. It’s simple and it works for you. All you gotta do is be yourself and things will work out for you.

Amber: (Smiles) Thanks. (Mood slowly decreases and she turns away after 5 seconds) How do you know the other girls anyway; just wondering?

Cody: Don’t think this is some elaborate plan the girls and I made up to lure you into another prank. After the accident last year, I notice how bad your teammates just wail on you and honestly, I think you deserve to be treated right. (Makes eye-contact and says with deep emotion) You’re a beautiful angel and you should be treated like one.

(Cody continues to stare at Amber as she blushes. Seconds pass and she starts to get nervous)

Amber: Don’t forget; you’re driving now.

Cody: (Starring at Amber continuously) I’ve got this; don’t worry.

Amber: (Getting scared) Um… Cody…

Cody: Have you ever seen that movie Deathproof?

Amber: (Swallows nervously) I haven’t…

Cody: Well, let me break down the synopsis for you. As long as you’re in this vehicle, you become immune to death… So no worries, honey.

(They approach an idle car at a stop light going about 65 MPH.)

Amber: (Scared) Cody…

Cody: With me behind the wheel… (Getting closer) Everything will be okay (Getting even closer). All you gotta do… (Almost there) is trust me… (Their about to crash) Do you trust me, Amber?

Amber: (Terrified) YES, YES; I TRUST YOU! PLEASE JUST STOP!

(Cody smashes on breaks and the car instantly stops behind the car in front of them. Amber is breathing extremely hard and is trying to calm herself down.)

Cody: (Chuckles) There’s no need to be terrified, Amber. (Slowly leans in closer to Amber) I will be your guardian angel.

(The light is still red.)

Amber: (Fixes her hair and nods her head as the streetlights on her side turn yellow) okay. (The streetlight turns red and reflects on her face.)

(The streetlight all remain red and the color of those lights beam over Cody’s face. Cody smiles and shows off his perfect white teeth. He lets off a sort of scary; indescribable laugh and the red lights shine green across his face. He pulls off and a quick glimpse shows red street lights shining across Amber’s face.)

[At the party]

(The two of them finally get to the party and as they exit the vehicle, Amber’s eyes begin to dilate. The details of her breathing emphasize through her ears and her mind. Everything goes silent and all that can be heard is her heartbeat and the sound of her own breath filling her lungs. She looks at her surroundings and everything becomes clear to her. She can see a lady walking her poodle down the street in her night gown. She sees all of the cracks in the street and sidewalks. She looks up at the tall tree above her and sees a tiny bird chirping outside its nest. She looks down at the grass and everything around her begins slowly moving like looping frames of an endless moving picture. She looks up at all of the young people smiling, laughing, and having a great time with beer and logger in their hands. The sound begins to come back to her ears in the form of slow deep bass. Two shadow-like claws slowly creep up behind her and aggressively clench her shoulders and in the instance of a split second, she snaps out of her trance. She turns around and Cody releases her shoulders. She looks scared out of her mind.)

Cody: You all good? Don’t tell me you got a little high before the party for a warm up. (Chuckles) Then again, who am I to talk; I’m a little buzzed myself. (Laughs)

Amber: Take me home.

Cody: What? What, why?

Amber: I just don't wanna be here right now, Cody, just please, take me home right now.

Cody: (Creeps closer to her and tries to smooth talk her from behind as he massages her neck) Hey… relax… It’s just a party. You don’t gotta do anything you don’t want to.

(Chills go down Amber’s neck and back, her hairs begins to stand on her body and she gets a powerful painful pressure in the back of her head. She gets tingles around her wrist and the nerves in her fingers stiffen. A feeling of black blood pooling within itself and flooding surges through her mind and sense of emotional perception.)

Amber: (Shivering) Okay… I’ll stay… Let’s go inside...

(They enter the party and the house is packed with wasted youth. Amber sees this but attempts to blend into the madness.)

Cody: I’m gonna go get us some punch, okay?

Amber: Sure that’s fine.

(Cody walks away and pulls out a small pack of oddly colored red pills. Amber turns around to make sure he’s gone. She doesn’t see him anywhere. Amber quickly heads outside. She runs into Gretchen and her posy at the front door.)

Gretchen: (Scoffs) Watch where you’re going, poop stain. (Gasps) Oh wait… (Places index finger on lips) Don’t tell me you had another accident. Oh, that must be why you’re in such a hurry to leave my party.

Amber: (Fierce, yet silent) We used to be close friends, Gretchen, and I know a lot of secrets about you. If I were as low and demented as you, I would do something right now that would completely destroy your reputation to the point where you couldn’t be seen in public without being teased or feeling humiliated by our own humanity. Just know that I can destroy you at anytime, worse than how you’ve destroyed me. But I choose not to do that because I’m a nice person; unlike you. So I ask you to please, stop saying bad things about me, because I have ammunition on you and you know it. Now excuse me. (Walks away)

(Gretchen is left with a dumbfounded, yet infuriated, look on her face. Amber walks outside to the lawn and searches her pockets. She begins to panic. She has a flashback of when Cody slammed on breaks earlier when they were in the car and she realizes her cell phone has fallen out of her pocket and under the seat. She quickly runs to the car and sees her phone on the floor lighting up. Someone was calling but they stop and her phone says 16 missed calls. Amber quickly turns around and Cody is standing only two feet behind her with two cups of punch in his hands and big smile across his face.)

Cody: Did you lose something?

Amber: I need my phone. I forgot to tell my dad I got here safely. I’m sure he’s worried sick; I have 16 missed calls already.

Cody: … (Stares at her for an intense 5 seconds) Sure.

(Cody walks around the car and unlocks it for her. Amber quickly reaches for her phone and as she’s about to call her father, her phone dies.)

Amber: (Paralyzed with fear) No…

Cody: What’s the matter?

Amber: Phone died.

Cody: So, hey, you don’t look like you’re having a good time, so why don’t I just drive you back to your place?

Amber: No, that’s okay; I’m fine.

Cody: Oh boy… (Sighs) I think I know what’s going on here. You’re scared of me.

Amber: … Yes, Cody, I’m scared of you… I don’t know what it is about you, but it scares me. And I can’t be near you. Not now, not anytime soon; not ever.

Cody: (Gently places cups on the roof of his car and changes his attitude to be more sincere) So uh… A while back- a few months ago, my parents got into a really bad argument and my mother tried to kill my father and I got involved.

Amber: Everyone at school knows how your mother died. But the cops said it was a burglar.

Cody: My mother tried killing my father, but then he took her knife away and in trying to protect my mother, I ended up killing her by mistake and in that process I killed a little piece of myself. Since then, I’ve had this feeling of death always hovering over me. Amber I am so sorry you felt that. But I promise you, I am not a killer. After what happened, I haven’t been the same and my mind goes to dark places sometimes like it did at the light, but truly, I would never hurt you. Please, just… let me at the very least, take you back home. And we’ll bring someone else along who needs a ride. I saw Sydney over at the punch bowl. She was complaining about stomach pains and needing a ride home. She can come with us to assure you feel safe.

(Cody is driving them home. Sydney is in the back seat holding her stomach and unconscious.)

Cody: (Disappointed in himself) I’m so sorry, Amber. Like I said- once-in-a-lifetime event, right? Although, I never thought I’d be the one who’d mess it up.

Amber: It’s fine… It wasn’t your fault. I won’t tell anyone about this.

Cody: (Smiles) I know you won’t. Hey, is that a mosquito on your arm?!

Amber: Where?!

Cody: Whoa, I think it’s on your back!

(Amber panics and begins moving around everywhere.)

Cody: Here, I got it!

(Amber gets poked. Cody quickly throws it out the window and rolls it up.)

Cody: Whoa! Are you okay?

Amber: Ouch. No! I think it got me. (Looks at arm) Owe, I’m bleeding.

Cody: Thank goodness it just barely nipped you. You should get to the doctor for that.

Amber: (Sighs) Yeah…

(Amber takes a few deep breaths and rests her head back against the seat. Her vision starts to fade as she slowly closes her eyes. She shuts them completely. Suddenly, Amber is violently and aggressively stabbed in the face multiple times with a knife by Cody. After the 8th stab, everything goes black.)

[Interrogation room]

(From the recording camera’s point of view, hidden behind the one-way mirror’s point of view, this situation is seen. Detective Connors is angrily standing in front of a grieving Gretchen with his hands slapped against the table, and his nerves heated to their limit.)

Connors: Come on, Gretchen. You’re sitting here telling me what I already know.

Gretchen: (Crying) I told you everything I know already!

Connor: No you didn’t! You sit here and lie to my face like I’m stupid with those sob tears, and you hope someone will feel sorry for you, but let me tell you something, little miss Barbie, no one feels sorry for you; no one’s gonna feel sorry for you! So stop the water works because they’re getting old already! Now tell me what you saw after she talked to you at the party! I know for a fact that you’re lying to me about not ever seeing her again! I talked to witnesses and they’ve all told me about what happened after the two of you talked on your porch! (Aggressively sits on his chair) You want me to tell you what they told me?! Huh?! Well I don’t! The time it takes me to explain to you what they told me could be time spent looking for the person responsible for this girl’s death! And because you find it cool to lie to a homicide detective about the last time you saw the victim which leads me to believe you may be involved! So now spill the truth, right now! Come on. You give me the truth; I give you your freedom and you can walk outta this room and cry to someone who cares about your sorry life and your pathetic little tears. Are- are those tears of guilt?! Are you guilty because you were the one who killed her?!

Gretchen: No…

Connors: (Aggressively stands at Gretchen) Huh, Gretchen?

Gretchen: No!

Conner: HUH?!

Gretchen: NO! (Breaks down in more tears)

(An African-America officer walks into the room.)

Officer: That’s enough. Okay? Break time.

Connor: (Sits back down) Yeah, I’ll be out there in a minute, just let me calm down a bit before this girl gets me in trouble. (Takes a deep breath) This girl was stabbed 12 times. Okay, that kind of brutality isn’t done by some random individual. She knew the killer, and I’m betting you do too.

(It is a hot Miami afternoon and Hanru is seen happily walking along the sidewalk near a public street with a tiny smile on his face. He eyeballs a bus stop across the street and cautiously makes his way towards it crossing the busy street.)

Hanru Narrating: These are my last moments here in Miami. After about a few months, Ada and I are off to live in Chicago. I’m pretty excited; I hear Chicago has a lot of snow.

(The bus stops in front of the bench and Hanru quickly hope aboard. He puts two dollars in the machine to get an all-day pass. He sits on the very first seat behind the driver. It’s quiet and all that can be heard is the sound of the bus taking off. Hanru looks around at all the people on the bus.)

Hanru Narrating: What do I see? I see a young girl sitting across from be holding a stroller with a baby in it. Two seats beside me I see another girl listening to music on her phone or whatever. Beside her is a black backpack; she must be a student. Toward the back I see a pre-elderly woman reading a book- with no cover, of course. I also see two Muslim women sitting side-by-side and avoiding eye-contact with anyone. I know there’s air-conditioning in here, but it’s steaming outside, and they have not a drip of sweat on them. And here my entire body soaks with sweat just by being around too many people. There is such a large variety or people on this bus who are different and sent my mind to different conclusions. Looking at all these people effects my perception of how I view not only them, but the world as well. So I ask- what is life really about? They say there’s a thin line between truth and reality. Perception and truth simultaneously working together makes reality… perception is like the bridge which links reality and truth together. My perception of these people on the bus are defined by what I see in this world, but who are they really? What is life truly about? Is there even an answer to that question? Is what I’m asking even a question?

[Apartments]

(Nicky is lying down in her bed turned away from Lee. Tears just endlessly run down her face.)

Lee: I’m sorry, Nicky.

Nicky: Please. Just leave me alone right now. I just need some time to myself.

Lee: Call me if you need anything, okay?

Nicky: Yeah.

(Lee takes a deep breath and leave’s Nicky’s apartment. He walks outside and sees Jessica walking up the stairs toward him.)

Jessica: Hey, I got your message. Is everything alright?

Lee: No. Nicky had a miscarriage. So I can say bye-bye to parenthood.

Jessica: Is she alright?

Lee: No. But I mean she just lost something that was literally growing inside her. She asked for space right now so I’m giving her space. Let’s go somewhere else. (Walks pass Jessica and down a few steps)

Jessica: (Turns to Lee) You need to go in there right now and be with her.

Lee: (Frustrated) I don’t gotta do anything now. She can grieve in her own way and I can grieve in mine. Okay, she asked to be alone and I’m asking you to be a good friend to me and help me get through this hard time. Is that so hard? Huh? Can you do that for me? Can you do your job as a friend and be there when I need you?

Jessica: (Crosses her arms and sighs) Fine. Where do you wanna go?

Lee: I’m going to a titty-bar to have a good time and forget about all this madness.

Jessica: Wow. You’re going to a strip club to get over losing your child?

Lee: No. no; I said titty-bar. Now let’s cut this senseless chirping and go get our face smashed in by some D’s.

Jessica: I’m not a lesbian, Lee. I don’t want D’s in my face!

Lee: (Irritated) How about you stop talking and close your lips before I consider it an invitation for my D?! Now I’m done talking; let’s go. (Walks down the stairs)

(Hanru walks through a suburban neighborhood and passes by a white-picket house. The house is a two-story and has a beautiful straight walkway dividing the lawn of grass into two halves. Hanru walks along the path and rings the doorbell. Janet answers the door wearing a very revealing golden silk dress, a white wig, and golden earrings.)

Janet: (Shocked) Oh, Hanru! I was expecting someone else. (Looks around outside nervously) Come in.

Hanru: Okay…

(Janet pulls Hanru into the house and quickly closes the door behind him.)

Janet: (Nervous) What’s up; you doing alright?

Hanru: I’m decent, but I can see you’re not. Does your significant other know about this little display of fashion?

Janet: (Angrily points her finger at Hanru) He does not and it’s gonna stay that way or else someone’s gonna be investigating your murder for once.

Hanru: Hey, I’m cool. Your secret is safe with me. But doesn’t it bother you that you’re sneaking around behind your man?

Janet: (Getting a bit jittery and crazy) Not at all. Since we’ve officially been together, he hasn’t touched me once sexually and you know I’m a lady… Well, woman… and I deserve to be able to go out and get mine too. LJ doesn’t even mention sex around me, unless it’s some inappropriate joke, and I honestly think he’s getting sex from somewhere else. How do you think that makes me feel, huh? Huh?!

Hanru: Okay, okay. Calm down. I understand where you’re coming from. But here’s my advice: Tell him what’s going on with you.

Janet: I did and he still doesn’t care.

Hanru: How are you adjusting to your life here?

Janet: You mean my living situation?

Hanru: The house, yeah.

Janet: It’s miserable sometimes. Hoe into a housewife is literally the quote of my life. I’ve never been taught to cook or clean, or take care of a man, or even a daughter. We all live under the same roof, but we’re all so divided as a family and we all just ignore the reality of us not being a… what’s the word, umm… I don’t know a… stable family. We all know it’s true but we choose to ignore fixing the issues.

Hanru: Eventually, the four of you will find a way to come together. You were all forced to live under one roof before resolving your personal issues and that’s where the main problem is coming in at. Holly lost the man and woman whom she thought were her parents and now she lives with the biological parents she just met. She is torn up inside and I dated Holly so I know how she is. She’s gonna bottle these feelings up inside and try to reprogram her psychological mentality, just so she won’t be hurt again. Tsuki lost her adoptive father and now is forced to share her little sister with two complete strangers who try and rule her life and her sister’s. And we both know what your issues are.

Janet: Yeah…

(There are 4 knocks on the door.)

Hanru: I came here for Holly; is she upstairs.

Janet: (Nervous) Yeah, she’s taking a bath, so just… don’t be a peeping tom so let her know you’re here.

Hanru: You have yourself a good time now, Meukie and if they order a second round, they better leave a tip. (Quickly walks upstairs)

(Janet opens the door and it’s a very well-dressed African-American man with a charming smile. He looks appears to be a very wealthy man.)

Man: Hey, baby. I wasn’t sure I had the right address. (Kisses her hand)

Janet: Well, a high-priced Belle, such as myself, deserves a little spoiling now and then. Come on, babe; let’s get outta here.

(Upstairs, Hanru knocks on the bathroom door.)

Holly: Come in!

Hanru: Holly, it’s not your mom, it’s Hanru.

Holly: Oh, uh… Don’t come in; I’m in the tub! (Closes shower curtains) Okay, you may enter.

Hanru: Actually I- (Sighs) Okay, coming in.

(Hanru opens the door.)

Hanru: I was just letting you know I was here. I’ll be waiting downstairs.

Holly: Well wait. Is my mom here?

Hanru: No, she left.

Holly: Oh, so we have the house all to ourselves.

Hanru: (Chuckles a grin) Actually, Holly, I just wanted to tell you that I’m planning a surprise outing for Lee.

Holly: He’s the one with the weird hair, right?

Hanru: It’s white, yeah, but I think originally it was some light blondish whatever color.

Holly: What exactly are you gonna do for him?

Hanru: I don’t know yet. Maybe to a restaurant or a club; I don’t know. I just want to show him a good time. His girlfriend will most likely be there too.

Holly: Okay, well count me in. Just let me know what day it is and what we’re doing.

Hanru: Great, I’ll let you know. I’m heading out now, so if you hear any noises in the house, it’s not me; it’s a ghost. (Chuckles)

Holly: Hey, don’t joke about that kind of stuff. This house gets pretty creepy at night.

Hanru: I wouldn’t doubt it. There’s so much wide open space downstairs and then this narrow hallways up here.

Holly: Okay, go before you make me psych myself out.

Hanru: Alright, I’ll see you in a few days.

Holly: Aww, I’m all alone now.

Hanru: (Smiles) You’ll be fine, Holly; I promise.

(Parking lot)

(Lee gets into the passenger seat of Jessica’s black SUV.)

Jessica: And look who parked his rear back in my car. What’s wrong; couldn’t last more than 10 seconds?

Lee: Ha, ha. Turns out the strip club might be getting shut down… for health code violations.

Jessica: Not surprising. You walk in the place and it smells like fish mongers and mushrooms.

Lee: I don’t need your negative energy right now, okay. Here’s what we’re gonna do. (Rolls down window and makes hand gestures to his talking) We’re gonna take this negative energy, and wrap it in a nice pretty bow, okay? Then we’re gonna toss it out the window. (Pretends to throw something out of the window) There we go. Now our chakras are clean and the positive energy can flow. So let’s think of other places we can go to.

Jessica: How about your girlfriend’s apartment?

Lee: No way. I… DARN IT, JESSICA! DROP IT ALREADY! I’m not going back there! We’re done talking about it!

Jessica: Alright, fine. (Cell phone rings; she answers it) Hey, what’s up?

Hanru: Hey, so Holly is onboard with the outing we’re having for Lee. She’s free whenever so when do you wanna do this?

Jessica: Oh great; she’s gonna be there. Are you inviting anyone else?

Hanru: I am. It’s someone we haven’t seen in awhile. I’m on my way right now to his house.

Jessica: You know what, how about we just make a spur the moment decision and do something right now? Let’s go to a club.

Hanru: Alright, sure. Let’s do this. Pick me up at Holly’s house.

Jessica: ugh, do I have to? (Sighs) Fine, I’ll be right there. By the way, who’s the other person you wanted to invite?

(Half an hour later, Hanru, Lee, and Jessica are all standing in front of a wooden door to a one-story house. A tall, fit young man around their age (20) opens the door. He’s extremely excited to see the three of them.)

Casey: MY HOMIES! (Handshakes and hugs Hanru and Lee) What is happening, my N-words? It’s been awhile.

Lee: What’s up, Casey?

(Jessica smiles and waves to Casey.)

Casey: (Says to Jessica softly) Hey. (Says to Lee) So, whatcha guys up to?

Hanru: We’re having an outing for Lee. He recently lost someone close to him and he needs some homie-time right now to help get over what happened.

Casey: Man, I wish you guys threw me a party when I lost my grandma.

Lee: You’re… grandma died? Man, I’m so sorry.

Casey: Yeah, well, there’s no one around to scream at me anymore for drinking her Arizona Tea. But you know… That peaceful bliss of not being screamed at all the time is not worth the price it came with.

Hanru: If we knew about what happened, we would have definitely been here for you, man.

Casey: Nah, it’s cool. My girlfriend was here for me. She felt guilty about always telling me to move out on my own and get away from my grandma because she was holding me back from living my life and being independent. Yeah… So, let me get my coat and- wait, it is tonight, right?

Hanru: Yeah, it’s right now.

Casey: Alright, let me get suited up and I’ll be ready to get my boogey on.

(Night Club a few hours later)

(The party is jumping and the nightclub is packed with people of all races, cultures, and social addresses. Hanru, Lee, Jessica, Holly, and Casey all dance on the second floor of the club, except for Hanru of course, at a round table. Everyone on the dance floor is dancing to the song “Rhythm of the Night” by “Corons”. After about 10-20 seconds, the song goes off and the song “Life” by “Blackmilll and Veela” plays softly in the background. The club calms down a bit and Hanru’s group all sit down at the round table. Both Lee and Casey take an adrenaline-fueled shot of the liquor in front of them.)

Lee: AHHH! Ladies! Are you sure you don’t want a shot of this?!

Holly: I totally would love to, but I don’t have my detox kit with me and I don’t wanna get yelled at by my parents for drinking!

Lee: (Pouring another shot) Loser! You’re missing out, Blondie! Jessi; you’re cool! Come on; take a gulp of this booze!

Jessica: I would, but I didn’t bring my liquor license!

(Jessica and Lee laugh a bit with each other.)

Lee: Casey, man; you want another hit!

Casey: I don’t think that’s such a good idea. I don’t wanna be too drunk when I get back to the bat-cave.

Lee: You guys are such buzz kills! We should be celebrating life right now!

Hanru: By killing ourselves?

Lee: Exactly!

Jessica: So we’re contributing our condolences to two individuals who have died by killing ourselves with liquor?

Lee: You guys obviously don’t wanna drink.

(Everyone looks at Lee with a blank face- afraid to hurt his feelings or ruin his good time.)

Lee: Alright; you guys win; I give up. (Closes bottle) No more drinking. I know I can be really cruel at times, but I don’t wanna be a bad friend. For you guys, I’ll stop the drinking.

Casey: So, Leon. What tragedy joins our little crew this grim-felt night?

Lee: My girlfriend had a miscarriage. She was only a few months, but still.

Holly: Is that what we’re celebrating? I honestly had no idea that happened. Oh gosh, I am so sorry, Lee. Hanru, why didn’t you tell me?

Hanru: Because I knew you’d act the way you are right now. We’re trying to help Lee forget about what happened; not remind him. So we all know why we’re here, so let’s enjoy the rest of the night.

Lee: You’re one to talk. You don’t even like parties.

Hanru: Yes, but I like being supportive to my friends when they need it, so I’m here to support you.

Lee: Thanks, brother.

(Lee reaches over the table and gives Hanru a big hug.)

Jessica: I love slow songs; I’m taking my booty and I’m going to shake it like a salt shaker. I’ll see y’all in a bit.

Holly: Oh, cool; I’ll join you.

Jessica: Nah, I’m good. (Rudely leaves the table)

Lee: (Stops hugging Hanru) Don’t leave me! Take me with you! (Follows Jessica)

Holly: (A bit discouraged) I’m headed to the ladies’ room. (Leaves the table in a hurry)

Casey: Finally, they’re gone! (Reaches under the table for something)

Hanru: Hope you weren’t planning on playing footsies under the table tonight; I’m wearing my good socks.

Casey: (Chuckles) Nah, man. (Places black bag on the table and pulls out his cell phone and a small bundle of cash)

Hanru: I was wondering why you brought that bag in here. What are you doing a drug deal or something?

Casey: No. I’m hiring you- for ten-thousand.

Hanru: (Shocked) Ten-thousand what- pennies?

Casey: Dollars, son.

Hanru: Okay, I’m curious to see where this goes; ten grand to do what?

Casey: Find out who killed someone close to me.

Hanru: You’re grandma?

Casey: No. She was my cousin. Her name was Amber.

Hanru: First, your pen-pal and now your cousin? Are you trying to temp me back into that life again?

Casey: Come on now, Hanru; don’t be shallow about this. What your friends don’t know is that you still get involves with murders.

Hanru: Yeah, but I don’t go overboard like I used to and half the time it’s just research. I’m no cop; I’m limited to how much information I can get on a murder.

Casey: This one will be easy for you. Trust me on this. So what do you say…?

Hanru: … Okay… (Thinking) Darn it…

TO BE CONTINUED…
♠ ♠ ♠
Read After Chapter is read.

1. Jack Stated that he had two kids that were discovering love for the first time, however, they were never mentioned again.

2. Dalton and Jack's relationship are very similar to that of Todd and Jack's from "Breaking Bad". This was not purposely made.

3. The open scenery of this volume was based on the Rio Grande River forest.

4. The conversation between Hanru and Jessica about the newspaper was a real case that happened in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

5. The Entire Amber story arc was originally one of many. Volume 5 was originally a prequel for Volume 4 and was supposed to act as a filler where every chapter was based off very gruesome murders. Amber's story arc was also based off a picture of a cheerleader soiling herself on another. Curious about what her life would be like afterwards, my mind created this crazy story arc.

6. Volume 5 revolves around Life and this volume was supposed to exploit the true sadness and nature of death and grief whether it be through murder or other cause. Many stories, movies, and T.V. Shows talk about murder and mention murder all the time, but this Volume was supposed to exploit the personal lives of every victim in this Volume to try and help readers understand that when someone in a movie is killed in a very insignificant way, that person did have a whole life and they were more than just a person that needed to be "removed".

7. Spoiler Alert!: Later in this Volume, about 2 main characters were supposed to be killed off in very sudden and insignificant ways, however, because this is a prequel story, the main characters in question were in Volume Four and could not be killed.

8. During the locker scene after Amber was hit with the paintball gun, Gretchen tells Amber she'd make a great butch and that she should be a lesbian. This was too inappropriate to explicitly expose its meaning, but what it actually meant is that Amber had a very larger-than-normal sexual "organ".

9. Song 1: During the party, the song "Black Widow" by Iggy Azalea and Rita Ora played.

10. Cody's Assault on Amber in the vehicle was based on a real assault read about a teenage girl who's crush invited her out on a date suddenly and by the end of the date, told her to close her eyes for a surprise. As she closed her eyes in anticipation, he suddenly stabbed her repeatedly in the face.

11. When Janet and Hanru are having a conversation and Janet is explaining to Hanru how she feels about her family, she trips over her sentence and says she can't remember the accurate word to describe what her family is not. She then says "stable family". She actually meant to say "functional family", but at the time, that particular word was not coming to mind and "stable" was left in the official dialogue. Janet was tripping over the writers words.

12. The song "Rhythm of the Night" by Corona played at the club followed by "Life" by Blackmill and Veela till the end of the chapter.