Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Five Chapter Forty-Four: Bloom Within Chaos (Spring 2014)

(Under the darkened night sky, a black SUV stands idle before a large hole that is being dug up by two tall fit men working under the bright headlights of the vehicle. Jack sits in the front seat watching them and Hanru sits in the backseat with his wrists tied behind his back and tape around his mouth.)

Hanru: (Thinking) How do I get myself in these situations?

(Jack rips the tape off of Hanru's mouth.)

Jack: Sorry. At least you got a little shave there, huh?

Hanru: Yeah, thanks for saving me some time

Jack: Under these circumstances, you handle yourself quite well. You're like a professional hostage. You know when to keep your mouth shut, you don't panic or ask questions- you just sit there quietly and see where the tides take you. I didn't even need the tape, eh?

Hanru: You seem like a pretty cliché "villain", so why not use tape?

Jack: (Chuckles) You are aware of what my men out there are doing, are you not?

(The two men continue digging a hole.)

Hanru: I would say your men are digging a grave to bury me alive in, but I refuse to believe that.

Jack: (Grins) Really, and why is that? What makes you so special to where you don't be put in the hole?

Hanru: I have my reasons.

Jack: Enlighten me.

Hanru: The only way I'm going in that hole is after you've killed me. I don't care what it takes, I promise you I will fight you and your guards with my last breath before you stick me in that hole to rot. I've lived on this earth for 20 years and I've never built a legacy for myself or achieved anything. I have no reason to keep going. If you want to kill me then go ahead and do it, but I promise you you'll be in for a fight. I am not going to suffer in my last moments.

Jack: You, like another foolish colleague I know, make the foolish assumption that you have a choice in the matter when it comes to our death.

Hanru: I’m not assuming anything. I refuse to be buried in that hole alive.

Jack: (Grins) I believe you.

(One of the two men walk up to the driver-side window and Jack rolls the window down to hear what he has to say.)

Man1: The grave is dug, Mr. Gustavo.

(Gustavo nods and the man walks away as Jack rolls the window back up. He turns to Hanru and smiles. Seconds later, Gustavo is seen aggressively holding Hanru by the back of his collar and pushing him toward the hole. Gust stops Hanru right above it and Hanru looks down to see a young man around his age lying unconscious in an opened wooden grave in a stack of rotted skeletons.)

Gustavo: (Points pistol at Hanru’s head) I’ll respect your wish and not bury you in this hole alive, but I want you tell me if you know who that is in the hole.

Hanru: (Scared) Uh… Yeah… Y-Yeah; that’s my friend Casey.

Gustavo: Good. (Lowers gun) Now from your mouth, I want to hear what your name is.

Hanru: Hanru Sazuki. (Turns to face Gustavo)

Gustavo: (Puts gun away) Just had to make sure we had the right man. Don’t worry; he’s not dead… I think. (Says to Man 1) Is he still alive or did he suffocate?

Man 1: Still alive, sir.

Gustavo: Oh, so your friend is still with us. Take him out of the hole.

Man 1: Yes, sir.

(The two men reach down in the hold to grab Casey; Gustavo and Hanru confidently stand face-to-face, however, Hanru is obviously faking his courage. Gustavo sees this and grins, but does not call him out.)

Gustavo: You should be getting on your knees and thanking your friend for giving you more time to be free. We’ve been tracking you for about a week now and even after torture, your friend did not sell you out. But before we put him in the hole, we offered him a deal to tell us where you were and if the information was correct, we would free him. Of course he took the deal because he knew that we would eventually find you and all of your connections and your friends and kill all of them just out of frustration. I’ve done it before to get to him.

Hanru: Why are you so interested in me?

Gustavo: (Chuckles) Why do you think? If I let you go right now, what would you do first?

Hanru: I don’t know. Maybe I’d catch you off guard or have you killed.

Gustavo: (Laughs) Right…

Hanru: You have no idea who you’re messing with.

Gustavo: Why don’t you enlighten me then?

Hanru: I’m betting you’re a pretty popular criminal yourself.

Gustavo: (Flattered) Much appreciated, my good man.

Hanru: I’m sure you’re aware of Kaito Zonoda.

Gustavo: (Mood changes instantly and he looks nervous and scared) I am aware of who this man is…

Hanru: (Confident) Well I work for him. I am a high-ranking member of his crew and once he hears about this, he’s coming after you.

(Gustavo backs away nervously and places his hand around his mouth. He stares at the ground and tried to collect his thoughts for about 5 seconds.)

Gustavo: (Looks at Hanru while scared) This changes everything… I know better than to mess with Kaito Zonoda…

Hanru: (Confident) That’s right; I work for Kaito, so if I were you, I’d back off.

Gustavo: (Gets serious) Well you know… It’s funny you work for Kaito Zonoda because… Kaito Zonoda works for me.

Hanru: (Dumbfounded) What…?!

Gustavo: (Bursts out laughing for a few seconds) Kaito is your boss but I am Kaito’s boss. Kaito works for me. No one person is in charge in this business and that’s something Kaito has a hard time understanding. I sit in my mansion with my wife and kids and my business is set up to where I don’t gotta move to keep the cash flooding in. But what a surprise when I get a call from an old friend telling me about Kaito letting some kid work in our operations four years ago back in 2010 and at first I paid it no mind but then Kaito started acting up and messing with my flow of business trying to kill you apparently! I told my source to kill you and him but he didn’t and he got killed instead apparently. Thinks were right on track again but recently by connections to the Oregon church were cut off and just recently, I got a hold of the man who cut me off and he explained to me the situation of why he cut me off. He found peace after speaking with his serial killer son after the two of them were reunited by events cause by this same boy Kaito was involved with. Since then, I’ve been trying to hunt you down, but it’s not that easy surprisingly. You don’t exist in the system and it’s nearly impossible finding you through computer. I had to do it the old fashioned way.

Hanru: Congratulations. So now what? And don't you mean two years ago in 2012?

Gustavo: I’m going to use you for the same exact reason Kaito did. I wanna see what makes you so special.

Hanru: I've just always been myself and situations tend to resolve themselves.

Gustavo: Well we’ll see. You work for me now, kid and as long as you’re useful, you’ll stay alive.

Hanru: Gee, what a great deal.

Gustavo: Now get in the car; we’re taking your buddy to the hospital.

(The next morning, Hanru silently walks into a patient's room at the hospital. He quietly closes the door and slowly walks over to the patient. He walks around the bed and stands over her. The patient slightly smiles at him. She is revealed to be his step-aunt Ada.)

Ada: I was hoping you would be okay.

Hanru: I'm sorry I got you into this.

Ada: (Whispers and shakes her head) No-

Hanru: I'm always getting my family and friends in trouble because of my mistakes.

Ada: (Whispers and nods) Don't, don't.

Hanru: Maybe I need to just get away from everyone.

Ada: (Gently grabs Hanru's hand and whispers to him with a smile) Stop...

(Hanru silently stares at Ada with a guilty look on his face.)

Ada: I know you feel guilty about this, but I am fine.

Hanru: No, no.

Ada: Hey, listen to me- We all make mistakes. (Covers Hanru's hand with both of his)

Hanru: But I almost-

Ada: AND through those mistakes, we learn new things that better us as individuals. And you know, misfortunes come our way, but we can't let them get us down or control us.

Hanru: You were stabbed! You almost died... How can you not be mad at me or upset about my stupid decision that almost got you severely hurt?! And the baby; how can you not be upset with me about putting the baby's life in danger like that?!

Ada: You gotta listen to me, Hanru. And I mean you've gotta really hear me out when I tell you this: Severity is not written in stone. Severity is something that only has as much power as we allow it to have over us. It does not matter how bad or severe or traumatizing a situation is, what matters is how you handle it. I refuse to live my life holding grudges and making myself miserable over situations and events I know I have no control over, when I know I have the freedom to choose how I let life affect me.

Hanru: No. (Removes hand from Ada's) I can't keep getting away with this. I put my friends and everyone I care about in danger and I'm always getting off easy with no form of punishment. I can't keep getting away with my mistakes when they hurt the people around me. How can you not be upset over the fact that, that happens?

Ada: Worrying and being angry isn't going to change my situation. I am aware that I have the freedom to feel and do what I choose and I choose to be happy and positive about being alive and still having my baby. Look... It's okay to feel bad, because feeling bad helps put into prospective the issues that we need to personally deal with and overcome and when you overcome this guilt within yourself, you will have a new confidence about yourself.

(Hanru silently turns around leans his arm into the window. He closes his eyes and absorbs the words Ada speaks to him.)

Ada: You feel guilty; so are you gonna let it consume you and make you miserable, or are you going to do something about it? There is a saying that says "'make your enemies your footstool". That is only half the quote, but this guilt is your enemy and you need to use it as your footstool to help motivate you to never let this feeling consume you again.

(Ada knows how emotionally distorted Hanru currently is trying to puzzle his thoughts together, but against doctor's orders, she slowly and painfully gets out of her bed and removes the IV from her arm to reach Hanru and give him a motherly embrace from behind. The monitors flat line and let of a loud consistent high-pitch beep sound, but after about 5 seconds pass, the monitor beeps as if it's connected to someone's heart rate. The sound is low and relaxing instead of loud and an high pitch. 7 seconds pass and a very handsome-looking male doctor walks into the room rubbing hand sanitizer over his hands. This doctor is Dr. Peter.)

Peter: Now, Ada; you know you need to stay in bed. Next time you remove your IV, we're gonna need to bring the straps out.

Ada: (Chuckles, kisses Hanru's forehead and turns around to face the doctor smiling) Ooh, doctor; you know I like a dominant man.

Peter: (Smiles and chuckles) Come on; let's get you back in bed. You need to take it easy for your baby. (Gently raps his arm around Ada and guides her back to the bed)

Ada: Ooh, I'll be easy for you, baby. (Bursts out laughing while being tucked into bed)

(Hanru turns around and silently watches as Peter tucks Ada into her bed. He notices that Ada has all of a sudden becomes loopy and loose.)

Hanru: What's going on with her?

Peter: A delayed reaction to the meds I assume. That usually doesn't happen, but hey- medicine is a mystery even for us doctors sometimes. (Stands and faces Hanru)

Hanru: Is the baby really okay?

Peter: The baby is strong and so yes; it's all good.

Hanru: Thanks, doctor.

Peter: You've got some company waiting for you outside.

(Hanru walks out into the hall and meets up with both Gustavo and his nephew Dalton.)

Gus: You'll be happy to know your friend is still alive and well. Unfortunately, he has suffered brain damage due to lack of oxygen and doctors say it may be permanent.

Dalton: (Shrugs) Hey, at least he's alive, right? I mean I personally don't care, you know, but It's good for you, I guess...?

Gus: Come now, boy; we have business.

(Karen's home)

(Karen answers her front door to see Jessica standing in front of it with a big smile on her face.)

Jessica: I'm here for my first day!

Karen: Oh, Jessica... I tried to call you but you didn't give me your number.

Jessica: Is everything alright? I would hate to have driven all this way just to be told to head back home.

Karen: Actually my sister may be flying in from Vegas in a couple days and she's agreed to help me out with bills and with Bobby.

Jessica: I really do need this job, Karen. Please...

Karen: My sister can be unreliable sometimes so I may still need your help around here, but I'm just giving you the heads-up about the situation. Maybe it would be best if you searched for a better-paying job in the meantime.

Jessica: (Disappointed) Yeah, I guess so.

(LJ's home)

(LJ is seen leaving his house and walking toward his black SUV, when all of a sudden, his over-friendly neighbor next door comes out wearing a gray business suit. LJ tries to quickly hide beside his SUV but his neighbor sees him before he can get there in time.)

Al: (Excited) Hey, neighbor!

LJ: (Whispers to self) Shoot! (Puts on a friendly face and smiles) Hey, Al; how's it going?

Al: Oh, I can't complain. (Fixes tie) Life is pretty good so far. As long as you live a routine life, all will be good.

LJ: And what happens when something interferes with that routine?

Al: (Chuckles) Like what?

LJ: Like life.

Al: Then you just deal with it the best you can. I've gotta head down to the farm and start milking the cows. (Chuckles) See you again real soon, neighbor.

LJ: Yeah, you have a good one.

(A white car parks in front of LJ's home. LJ looks at Al and watches him get into his vehicle. Al takes off a few seconds later and the person driving the white car exits their vehicle. LJ looks to see who it is and it's Erika. LJ is relieved to see it's not an enemy. LJ walks up to Erika's vehicle and stands on the passenger side while she stands on the driver side.)

LJ: What are you doing at my house?

Erika: Your girl forgot her cell phone you know where last night. She didn't have many contacts so I called your daughter and she gave me the address so I can come down here and return it.

LJ: Thank you.

Erika: (Hands him the phone over the roof of the car) No problem. How is she doing, by the way?

LJ: I had to take her to the hospital last night. I was actually on my way now to see her.

Erika: I see.

(LJ looks across the street and 4 houses to the left and he sees another tinted black SUV parked. Erika looks down the street at the car as well, but then she turns to LJ to try and distract him.)

Erika: So, do you mind if I come with you to the hospital to see how she's doing?

LJ: (Looks at Erika) That's a bit personal, isn't it?

Erika: Sorry, I'm just worried is all.

LJ: Sure, why not? I have nothing to hide. (Smiles) You wanna follow me or take a ride?

Erika: I think I'll take my car and just follow you there.

LJ: Alright. (Enters his vehicle)

(In the black SUV down the street, Detective Henry Michaels is seen in the driver seat watching LJ.)

(In a seemingly family oriented home, a blonde man in his early 30's is seen sitting in his car with a stressed out look on his face. The noise in the background consists of car horns blowing, heavy machinery being used at a nearby construction site, and siren's heard from a far. He sighs while covering his eyes with his fingers. Time skips; he's lying down with the seat pushed all the way down like a bed. Time skips again- he's sitting right side up scratching his forehead. Time skips once again and he's seen searching for something through the radio but all that's heard is static. Time skips once again and he just lies in the silent car starring at the ceiling. Time skips again and this time he holds the steering wheel with both hands and presses his forehead on the top of the steering wheel. Time skips and he exits his vehicle. He's seen walking toward the front of an apartment complex. He enters the apartment and a small 8 year old boy quickly charges him like an over-excited puppy and gives him the biggest hug in the world.)

Boy: (Excited) DADDY!

Connors: Whoa! Hey, big man! How's it going?

Boy: I had lots of fun today!

Connors: You did?! Awe man; stupid work made me miss out on all the fun. (Smiles)

Boy: It's okay, daddy! You can have fun next time! I'll wait for you. (Runs off)

(Connors watches his son run off down the hall. Time skips and Connors walks into the kitchen and rests his shoulder on the wall. He silently stares at a rushing stressed out woman with long black hair frying chicken over the stove. She turns around and sees him standing there and she gives him an inviting little smile. She then continues to rush from counter-to-counter grabbing seasonings for the cooking dinner.)

Woman: How was work today, baby?

Connor: Work was fine. But I’ve been thinking really hard about transferring.

Woman: (Excited) Oh, baby; that would be great. We could move to the countryside or the suburbs!

Connors: Relax there, dreamer. I was thinking maybe a cabin or an RV.

Woman: Are you serious?

Connors: (Chuckles) I’m joking with you, baby.

Woman: (Smiles in relief) Whoa, don’t scare me like that. You’re gonna give me a heart attack before all this fried food does.

Connors: You gotta start feeding your family healthier foods.

Woman: Well when you and the kids start slaving every night making dinner, than you can all make that healthy diet stuff.

Connors: Is it really slaving over a hot stove if you choose to make dinner?

Woman: Well… I am a slave to my emotional urge to make my family happy.

Connors: (Nods) Alright. That’s an acceptable answer.

Woman: So where’re you thinking of moving us to?

Connors: I was thinking maybe Chicago or Miami. I know how much you love the Summer-themed atmospheres and the large piles of snow. So where do you think would be best?

Woman: Hmm… I don’t know. This is a pretty big decision. Well… let’s consider the pros and cons and make the decision together.

Connors: (Smiles) See. This new teamwork thing is working out for us.

(Hospital)

(LJ and Erika both walk side-by-side through the hospital parking lot. LJ looks back to make sure no one if following him but he quickly looks straight ahead. Once inside the hospital, LJ engages in conversation.)

LJ: I don’t mean to be rude but what exactly is it you do for a living?

Erika: (Avoiding a straight answer) I’m a lab-geek. I work with biological chemicals and computers and things like that.

LJ: For the police or something; or are you a scientist?

Erika: I… do work for the police- yes.

(They both stand in front of the elevator.)

LJ: Oh, okay.

(The elevator opens and the two of them walk inside alone. They proceed to go up the elevator.)

Erika: Don’t worry; I only work in the forensics department so I have no interest in telling the police about you and your girlfriend going to that crack house and possibly buying drugs.

(The elevator stops and the two of them walk out into the hall.)

LJ: I find it strange how you’ve taken such an interest in my baby-mama all of a sudden. I hope the two of you weren’t old lesbian lovers; but then again, if you were, maybe you could take her off my hands.

Erika: Oh no. I’m not into that. It’s bad enough my boss tried to come onto me once. I just don’t lick that way.

LJ: (Chuckles) Alright then, so why are you so fixated with my girlfriend?

Erika: Just trying to move forward in life and maybe make some friends.

LJ: (Stops in surprise) Some friends?!

Erika: Yeah, is that so shocking?

LJ: (Continues to walk) You really think an overdosed drug addicted crack whore and an obviously recovering lab geek could be friends?!

Erika: It’s not like there’s some social friend club where people can just randomly meet and be friends.

LJ: Obviously social events and social media don’t exist.

Erika: I saw this as an opportunity and I’m just seeing where things take me. I’m more of a go-with-the-flow kind of girl, ya know. Now I’m not irresponsible as I used to be during my younger years, but I also wanna just put myself out there and not be so afraid to live. Sometimes that's hard though when there’s so much danger lurking around at every corner.

LJ: Especially for a woman as hot as you.

Erika: See- (Chuckles and lightly blushes) thank you. And exactly; predators are always targeting women and sometimes vulnerable women like me are very easily taken advantage of and we can easily fall down a dark trail.

LJ: Well if darkness is what you seek, why not find God?

Erika: That’s a different subject. Let’s not go there.

LJ: (Chuckles) I find it funny how bringing up the subject of god puts people into this mental state where they become extremely defensive or hateful.

Erika: Well maybe if it wasn’t shoved down everyone’s throat all the freaking time.

LJ: Religion is shoved down your throat; more than god actually is.

Erika: Whatever, look, I’m just trying to live my life okay. It’s hard enough as it is without the pressures of god.

LJ: Of course. This is her room. Don’t make any sudden movements cause she might flip out and bite you with her rabies infested teeth or something.

Erika: Oh, haha; drug addicts aren’t savages.

(Gustavo, Hanru, and Dalton are all sitting in the middle of a quiet suburban hill. Hanru is the passenger, Gus is the driver, and Dalton is in the backseat.)

Gustavo: That house across the street is where he lives.

Hanru: Where who lives?

Gustavo: The man who’s making a profit off my business. (Hands Hanru a file)

Hanru: (Thinking) What is it with people always having files of their targets all the time? Where do they get there information and photos from?

(Everything moves in slow motion and as this is happening, Gustavo is talking. A car parks in front of the house and a European-American man exits the vehicle. He closes the door and proceeds to walk toward the front gate of his house.)

Gustavo: His name is Ivory Jordan. Jordan is a business man who specialized in pocketing money investments. My money is caught up in the system and somehow he’s found a way to pocket it and manipulate tax payments and paychecks for online workers. Pretty much he stole my money and used it to for a startup company of his own where he frauds money from people and splits it with his personal employees.

Hanru: You know nothing of business, do you?

Gustavo: (Grins) Is it that obvious? All I know is this guy took my money and started his own crooked setup with it. He's covered his tracks, along with my clientele, so when any of my employees try to get near him, they're quickly identified. From what I know of your history, you're someone whom can be trusted and there is nothing linking you to me. Now with that being said, I want you to be the guy who gets us close to the other guy.

Hanru: (Being smart) Yeah, he definitely won't see me coming. As long as you have the ace-guy, nothing can ever go wrong.

Gustavo: Exactly! See, you're getting it. So how should we handle this little problem; what do you suggest?

(Hanru is seen standing outside of the gate leading to Ivory's front yard. Two Black bodyguards approach the opposite side from the yard.)

Bodyguard 1: You're not supposed to be here. I'm gonna have to ask you to be on your way, sir.

Hanru: I have some important news for Ivory Jordan regarding a man named Jack Gustavo. Gustavo is around the area waiting for Mr. Jordan to leave his house so that he may... be dispatched. Look I don't know what the beef is against Mr. Jordan but Gustavo has recruited me to infiltrate this house and somehow trick Jordan into taking this tranquilizer.

(Hanru reaches into his pocket and takes out a tranquilizer dart and the two bodyguards quickly point their pistols at him.)

Hanru: Calm down; I'm trying to be on your side. (Offers them the dart through the fence)

Bodyguard 2: Get outta here now, kid before the police get involved.

Hanru: Alright, if you say so. (Walks away)

(Hanru is now sitting in the car with Gustavo and Dalton. Gustavo has a frustrated look on his face.)

Gustavo: So you not only told them my name, but you revealed my intensions and gave them the tranquilizer. You know for someone who's supposed to be the greatest detective ever, you sure did do a dumb thing just now.

Hanru: To be honest with you, I have no idea how I expose murders, but I'm not as good as everyone thinks.

Gustavo: Shut up. I'm still debating on whether or not to kill you.

Hanru: You asked for my help, and so I'm giving it to you.

(The two bodyguards are seen leaving the yard wearing jogging gear. the garage behind the gate slightly opens up halfway.)

Hanru: Let me see those binoculars.

(Hanru looks through the binoculars and watches one of the guards put in the code to lock it.)

Hanru: (Lowers binoculars) Okay, so these guys are professionals. They're scanning the neighborhood now so they'll be looking for us. For reasons unknown, this car isn't tinted so they'll definitely spot us in here, so what we have to do is see which directions the guards are going, and the two of you need to get out and walk the opposite way.

Gus: What? No; that makes no sense.

Hanru: Leaving the property, the guards have taken a quick scan of the block already and have already identified this car as being foreign to this street. This vehicle is already on their radar and if you drive off, they are going to follow us and have eyes on all three of us 24/7. And I don't know about you, but I like to pee in the privacy of my own home without having grown men watching me all the time. To avoid any suspicion of them being on to us, the two of them are going to each run in opposite directions and not look back at this car until after they leave the block.

Gus: Which brings me back to the question I was about to ask: Why can't we just drive off now before they can get into their vehicles to find us?

Hanru: You didn't notice the garage opening up half way? They have vehicles in the garage ready for tailing, but it's only opened halfway so that we won't see what kind of vehicle or vehicle's they'll have just in case we happen to look back at the house. Look, the guards are leaving now. As soon as they part ways, you too get out of the car and-

Gustavo: No. I need to keep my eye on you at all time.

Hanru: Fine... Your sidekick here can follow me while I-

Gustavo: No. We are leaving. I can't trust you.

Hanru: You asked for my help.

Gustavo: I can see now that was a mistake.

(Gustavo turns on the car and drives off down the street.)

Hanru: (Thinking) Working with this guy isn't going to be easy. It's time for plan B I guess.

(The garage begins to open on its own.)

(Tammy's apartment)

(Jessica sits in the hallway outside of her apartment with her feelings and thoughts bottling up inside of her. She can't stand to keep her eyes open for too long. She shuts them tightly and tried to block out the world but after 5 seconds pass, she opens them back up and the lights in the hallway intensify with brightness and the walls turns into a jello-like texture and rapidly melts as it closes in on her. She holds herself in the fetal position and Buries her head between her knees. A low-pitch noise fills her head and she aggressively holds her hands over her ears. The jello-like walls close in on her and a giant brown hand reaches out to her and grabs her shoulder. She screams at the top of her lungs for 2 seconds. She opens her eyes and sees about 7 cops standing over her.)

Cop: Is everything alright, ma'am?

Jessica: No... N-NO! GET AWAY FROM ME! (Quickly stands up and enters her apartment)

Cop: Wait, ma'am!

(Jessica walks into her apartment and sees it's trashed. furniture is damaged and broken glass is spread around the floor. Tammy is sitting at the bottom of the open refrigerator drinking vodka directly out of the bottle. Jessica becomes disgusted at this site and charges directly at Tammy full speed. She tackles Tammy into the door and punches her in the face multiple times with blind fury.)

Jessica: You infuriate me so much!

(Before Jessica can finish relieving herself of her stress, a cop quickly pulls her off and holds her. Tammy gets up and tries to attack Jessica but a cop holds her back too.)

Tammy: I want you out of my apartment. I don't need you here anymore! You don't do anything but eat up my food and smell up my bathroom. You still don't have a job! Get out!

(The cop takes Jessica out into the hallway. Jessica breaks away from the cop and keeps her distance from him.)

Jessica: (Lightly crying) What happened?

Cop: Please, calm down.

Jessica: What happened?!

Cop: Your neighbor next door called in an argument between your roommate and a male whom she referred to as "her pimp". After the argument, there was a physical scuffle and after the commotion was over, she made the call.

Jessica: Where's her son? Is he okay?

(A second cop walks into the hall.)

Cop 2: We have a problem. She claims to have had a son that the assailant took as collateral until she agreed to work for him.

Jessica: I know exactly who she's talking about. I can take you to where he lives. His name is Pimp-Daddy-Joe.

(About half an hour later, the police are seen dragging PDJ out of his apartment, and about 15 other people who were found in the apartment. Jessica stands in the parking lot blankly starring at everyone. The police find Tammy's son and guide him across the grass field. The cop walks up to Jessica once again.)

Cop: You did a good thing today, ma'am. Joe is going to be put away for a long time, and Tammy's boy will be taken to child services.

Jessica: (Walks away and calls someone over the phone) Hey, I need to talk to you. What are you doing?

Hanru: I'm being tailed right now by some losers in a smart car.

Gustavo: Is that what they're tailing us in?

Jessica: I need- (Sighs) Alright. (Hangs up)

(Lee and Nicky are both in the waiting room of the nurses office. Lee's phone rings.)

Lee: Hey.

Jessica: Lee, I... really need someone to talk to. Hanru is involved in his own stuff and I just need to talk to someone who's drama-free.

Lee: Yeah, well that's not gonna happen.

Jessica: Please, Lee. I really... really... need a friend right now. I ju- I just found out my mother has cancer.

Lee: Seriously?

Jessica: Yeah... She's had it for months and I'm just finding out about it. I can't get a job. I just got kicked out of the apartment I was living in. Nothing in my life is going right, Lee. I feel so trapped. I don't bother anyone with my problems but right now I just-

Female Doctor: The doctor is ready to see you now.

Lee: Hey, I gotta go, the doctor- (Phone hangs up)

Jessica: Lee? Hello?

(LJ's home)

(A very attractive young man about 22 years old with greasy curly dark brown hair approaches the front door of LJ's home and rings the doorbell. Holly answers it a few seconds later.)

Holly: Oh uh, hi.

Jake: (Gives her a charming smile) Hey, you look pretty hot.

Holly: (Blushes) Oh... (Chuckles) Thanks. But I don't know you. Are you here for someone?

Jake: No, actually I... (Catches himself) Ya know I apologize for being rude. A real gentlemen would say hello first to a lady before giving her such a compliment.

Holly: It's fine. I actually liked it.

Jake: Maybe as an apology, I can take you out?

Holly: (Uncomfortable) Oh um...

Jake: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Let me start over. (Sighs) My name is Jake; nice to meet you. (Offers a handshake)

Holly: (Shakes his hand) Nice to meet you, Jake; I'm Holly.

Jake: Really; a Holly? You look more like a Kris or a Kristal.

Holly: Nope; I'm Holly. (Smiles) I don't even know anyone by that name (Chuckles)

Jake: Well, Holly, I will soon be moving into this neighborhood and I am going around meeting the neighbors and just checking out the peeps around here. I wouldn't wanna mess around and get stuck in an old people's retirement neighborhood.

(Jake chuckles a bit and Holly laughs.)

Holly: Wow; you're funny.

Jake: Thanks. I'm trying to be a comedian.

Holly: (Excited) Are you serious?!

Jake: No.

Holly: Oh. (Bursts out laughing)

Jake: (Awkwardly smiles) So, I hope I'm not overstepping, but do you have a boyfriend?

Holly: I don't actually.

Jake: Ooh, looks like I've got my foot in the door already.

Holly: (Chuckles) Slow it down there, mister. You don't waste any time, do you?

Jake: I believe in pursuing what you want and being honest about your true intensions. I'm not gonna beat around the bush; I think you're pretty hot and I wanna take you out on a date.

Holly: Well, you are funny and you have proven your honesty... I haven't dated in a long time and honestly it's not even on my radar. I guess... I can try to maybe... expand my social life. But you are a stranger who just came to my house and asked me out on a date.

Jake: If it makes you uncomfortable, you can bring someone with you on our date, even your parents. I'm a problem solver and I don't like conflict so I'm willing to keep an open mind and endure whatever changes I need to, to move forward.

Holly: I love your optimism.

Jake: See we're off to a great start already.

Holly: I will consider dating you. Let me have your number and I'll text you if I'm interested.

Jake: (Grins) Fair enough; it'll have to do.

(Jake types his number into Holly’s phone and hands it back to her.)

Holly: I’ll call it right now and save it in my phone later.

Jake: Alright, cool.

(Gustavo’s vehicle)

(Gustavo sits frustrated in his seat stuck in traffic.)

Gustavo: (Sighs) This traffic will be the death of me.

Hanru: Don’t blame the traffic for you not having enough patience to deal with it.

Gustavo: You know for someone being held against their will by someone who’s about to kill you, you sure do have a smart mouth!

Hanru: I handle stress well.

Dalton: Um… Uncle, if you do decide to… ya know, kill him, can I be the one to do it?

Hanru: (Thinking) What the heck. Did he really just ask that in a calming tone?

Gustavo: For now, let’s not think about that. I need to think about my next move.

Hanru: (Notices an alleyway) Go into this alley; I have an idea that I’m sure will work.

(Ivory Jordan’s home)

(Ivory is a Brazilian man but he doesn’t seem to have an accent of any kind. Ivory sits on his beautiful white sofa next to his gorgeous German wife. Ivory seems very on-edge about something.)

Wife: (Rubs her husband’s hair and smiles at him) Hello, my darling husband. What excitements do you have for our family today?

Ivory: That guy… It’s that guy I told you about who got me started with the money laundering. He’s coming for me again.

Wife: That is why we have security, darling. (Kisses her husband) No worries, dear; you hired the best.

Ivory: I don’t think I did. I just have the feeling that… (Sighs) I just messed up; I really did.

Wife: No, listen to me. Everything you did was for the best of this family. You have done many things that were pretty devious and frowned upon, but you did it all for your family.

Ivory: (Whispers) Oh, my family…

Wife: Come; let me show you what your time and efforts have accomplished.

(Ivory’s wife grabs his hand and leads him into a small pink bedroom with girlish toys scattered around everywhere and unicorns and rainbows painted all over the walls. A young girl is seen lying on the bed under the covers with her back turned to Ivory and his wife.)

Wife: Go see her.

(Ivory hesitantly walks up to the 9 year old little girl and sits beside her bed. She turns around and smiles at ivory with an angelic smile.)

Girl: Hi daddy.

Ivory: Hi, baby.

(The girl turns her entire body to face her father and her father can’t help but to stare in agony at his daughter’s pale skin.)

Ivory: (Talks softly) Hey, how ya feeling today?

Girl: I’m fine, daddy; just a little sleepy. We should go dancing later.

Ivory: (Chuckles) We should.

(Ivory cherishes this moment he’s sharing with his daughter and softly rubs her long black hair. After about 7 seconds of just starring at his daughter and rubber her hair, he stops. Ivory looks in his palm and has a small handful of his daughter’s hair stuck to his hand.)

Girl: It’s okay, daddy; it doesn’t hurt (Continues to smile at her dad).

Ivory: Oh… that’s… good, Sophia; that’s really good.

Sophia: After my nap, can we shave it off later?

Ivory: Sure, baby; whatever you want.

(After their talk is over, Ivory leaves the room and closes the door behind him. His wife stands next to him.)

Wife: What you did was a good thing, Jordan. You gave that child a good life and a longer one. She wouldn’t be here with us today if it weren’t for what you did and you, me, and Sophia’s sister will always be grateful for it.

(Ivory grabs his wife’s hand and the two of them smile at each other.)

(Jessica’s old home)

(Jessica pulls up in front of her adoptive parents’ house and as she enters the yard, she sees her father, Dan, sitting on the porch alone with his hands held tightly together. Jessica approaches him and notices he’s very distant and seems lost.)

Jessica: You shouldn’t be out here; mom might need help with something.

Dan: I already gave her some help. She doesn’t need any more help.

Jessica: What did you help her with?

Dan: Being happy. (Lights a cigarette and walks up to Jessica) Death is a bad thing Jessica. Cherish this life while you have it. (Walks away)

Jessica: (Hesitates for 5 seconds) How do I do that when I feel like nothing in this life matters?

Dan: (Stops walking) Then you find something that matters. Happiness is the only real reason why we enjoy living, isn’t it?

Jessica: (Turns around) I’m miserable and feel like nothing’s going right for me, but I don’t want to die.

Dan: (Chuckles) Then don’t.

Jessica: But how?

Dan: (Walks away) Fill yourself with love; love never dies; even after death, love still... lives on!

(Ivory’s home)

(Ivory and his wife continued to sit on the couch.)

Wife: I hear the garage opening; they must be back.

(Ivory enters his garage as its closing but he notices that one of his bodyguards is walking out of the driver’s seat.)

Ivory: What took so long?

Bodyguard 3: We ran into a complication, sir.

Ivory: What complication?

(The bodyguard is then shot in the head and tumbles into the tools that were hanging on the wall. Gustavo, Dalton, and Hanru quickly exit the vehicle and chase after Ivory as he bolts to his living room.)

Wife: (Panicking) What was that?!

Ivory: Go get the girls and get outta here NOW!

(His wife charges toward the hallway and just before she hits the corner, Gustavo fires a shot at her. She continues to run and he goes after her. Ivory quickly runs to the back of the living room where his computer is and pulls out a black loaded pistol. He lifts it up and is shot in the shoulder three times by Dalton. Unable to control the nerves in his right arm, he drops the gun and falls to the ground. Hanru and Dalton quickly run up to Ivory and without hesitation or any words being said, Dalton tries to shoot Ivory in the face, but Hanru snatches the gun from him and the shot misses.)

Dalton: Hey!

Hanru: What is the matter with you?! You were about to kill him!

Dalton: Yes! That’s how these things work!

(Gustavo finds Ivory’s wife and sick daughter and holds them hostage about 8 feet beside Ivory.)

Ivory: No! No, let my family go; they have nothing to do with this!

Gustavo: You shot him?!

Hanru: I didn’t; your crazy nephew tried to kill him. You’re lucky I stopped him!

Gustavo: Doesn’t matter. Ivory, now you get a good look at the face of the man who started your career. Am I what you expected? Huh?

Ivory: I’m sorry. I just saw an opportunity and I took it. And I did it so that my family would be taken care of and to give my daughter the best life I possibly could before I lost her. If I didn’t do what I did, she wouldn’t be here today. I am sorry I’ve been stealing from you the past few years, but you have to understand it from my point of view.

Gustavo: Understand it from my point of view: You stole millions of hard-earned money from me.

Ivory: I know, and I’m sorry! Please, just don’t hurt my family!

Hanru: (Thinking) Is he really sorry? I don’t think so.

Ivory: If you want, I can stop stealing your money right now and give you everything I have right now if you let us go!

Gustavo: (Puts gun away) I’m not here to kill you; it would be a waste of talent. I want you to come work for me?

Ivory: What about my family? Will they be safe if I agree to that?

Gustavo: As long as you remain loyal to me; they will be safe. But understand that if you do work for me, you will no longer have bodyguards. You will be under the supervision of my bodyguards. Is that understood?

Ivory: Yeah. I need to get to the hospital; I did get shot 3 times.

Gustavo: Right. You’ll need to be patched up from all the bullet wounds in your body.

(Everything goes completely silent. Gustavo instantly pulls his pistol out and shoots Ivory in the other shoulder and the chest. Ivory clenches onto his chest in pain and desperately tries to breath. He can’t help but look at his family and try to crawl toward them. His wife and daughter run up to Ivory and clench on to his body. Hanru has lost his sense of his identity, where he’s at, and what’s going on. For no good reason at all, Dalton takes his pistol and unloads the entire clip of bullets upon Ivory and his family. Sound returns to the room and Hanru snaps out of his trance.)

Gustavo: I didn’t plan on that happening but… what’s done is done. Let’s go. (Walks away)

Hanru: (Thinking) This man gave his dying daughter the best life she could possibly have during her last moment here on this earth alive. Jordan gave this girl, this innocent little girl a chance to life on and keep fighting.

(Buried under her parents, Sophia begins coughing.)

Dalton: Oops; missed one.

(Hanru aggressively walks away. Dalton aims his pistol at Sophia and Hanru choke slams Dalton against the wall and presses Ivory’s pistol into Dalton’s lower abdomen.)

Hanru: You touch that little girl and I promise you this bullet is going through your gut. I don’t care who your uncle is.

Dalton: Whoa, man, what’s your problem? You’re crazy.

Hanru: Walk away now. Go to your uncle and do not speak a word of this.

Dalton: You’re crazy, man.

(Dalton quickly runs away toward the garage where his uncle walked off to. Hanru squats to the floor and takes a deep breath before standing back up and walking up to Sophia.)

Hanru: I am so sorry. You didn’t deserve this.

Sophia: I am going to die anyway. What’s the point of being alive if I can’t spend time with my mom and dad?

Hanru: They’re the only things that kept you going, huh?

Sophia: (Nods) Mhm.

Hanru: (Thinking) This is all my fault. Why did I agree to help Gus and his psychotic nephew? I almost got this innocent girl killed and I got two others killed- not counting all of those people Gus killed just to find me. Too much blood is on my hands now and too many people are dying because of me. Something new is beginning…

(Hanru walks into the hospital later that night to see Casey in the hospital. He stands over Casey’s bed in grief.)

Casey: Thank you for being my best friend, Hanru. The world is gonna turn its back on you, but just remember you’ve always got me, homie.

(Casey lifts his arm up for a handshake. Hanru grabs Casey’s hand and the two of them squeeze tightly for 3 seconds.)

Hanru: You need to move away from here before Gustavo or Dalton decides to kill you. These guys are cold and of all the adversaries I have met, these guys are the most deserving of dying. Ivory stole and cheated but that doesn’t mean he deserved to die.

Casey: Do you really mean that?

Hanru: Yes I do. Ivory didn’t deserve to die. No one deserves to die. (Thinking) Can I live up to that word if I was faced with the reality of it?

TO BE CONTINUED…
♠ ♠ ♠
1. When Gustavo was talking about his connections to Hanru, He was first mentioning Shido from Volume Two. Shido was Kaito's partner, who was originally supposed to be the main protagonist of Volume Three but was instead replaced by Shaun Maze. When Gustavo talked to Hanru about his connections at the church in Oregon being severed, he was referring to Shaun's father Shawn who took the blame for all of his son Shaun's murdered.

2. The fact that Jack Gustavo told Hanru that Shido contacted him 4 years ago in 2010 was a plot hole, for Hanru did not meet Kaito until 2012. In the years 2010-12, there was a hiatus where not much has been revealed between those years other than Hanru did secretly work on at least 3 cases without the involvement of his friends other than Casey.

3. The raiding of PDJ's apartment was based off a real raid.

4. When Jake knocked on Holly's front door, he was actually going to her neighbor's house. The fact that Holly opened the door caught him off guard, but he did see this as an opportunity to date a very attractive women.

5. When Jake told Holly she looked like a Kris or a Kristal, this could possibly be an Easter Egg referring to the actress Kristin Kreuk, who was originally the portrayer of Janet, Holly's mom.

6. "Exiled Vilify" by The National was the ending song of this chapter.