Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Five Chapter Forty-Six: Choose Your Battles (Spring 2014)

(Hanru's home)

(Hanru and Ada are both sitting in the living room on the floor going through piles and piles of clothes scattered around the floor. Ada raises a red dress.)

Ada: My pile.

Hanru: (Raises a pair of blue boxers) My pile.

Ada: Who knew we had so many clothes between the two of us. Ironically, majority of these clothes belong to you. Most of these clothes you've had since middle school.

Hanru: Yeah, I know. I'm a hoarder. It's like I keep stuff around for months, sometimes even years, and not once do I ever think about it or need it. And as soon as I get rid of the stuff, like a day later, I actually need it.

Ada: (Laughs) I can honestly say that's rarely happened to me.

Hanru: It's even like that with music. I have an album on my phone I haven't listened to in months, so I finally deleted for more space and then next thing you know, I'm out in public having the urge to listen to that album. This happens a lot so I just hoard everything.

Ada: Well I can respect that. Just don't hoard too much stuff. I've decided to move to my old house in Illinois. That's about a 1200 mile move.

Hanru: How is it you own a house all the way out there and never mentioned it before?

Ada: Well... (Scratches head and looks away to try and avoids answering) It's a long story- involving my dad... (Looks at Hanru and smiles)

Hanru: Oh, sorry.

Ada: It's fine. (Chuckles) So hey, you should get some quality time in with all your friends. As soon as I find a buyer for this house, and pack up our personals, we'll be leaving.

Hanru: That was a pretty nice house. I only spend a week there during our Christmas vacation last year, but it felt like home at the time. It'll be nice to have a new start in life.

Ada: You haven't even started life yet. You've never been employed at a legal job, you failed high school, you've only had like 2 girlfriends technically and even then nothing really happened with them.

Hanru: Yeah you're right...

Ada: I want you to go out and enjoy your friends, Hanru, and I'll pack up everything myself. And before you say anything, I'm okay. I want to do this by myself. I just need some time to myself right now to think about the baby...

Hanru: It would have been nice having another little guy in the house.

Ada: Well, there's always adoption.

(Hanru leaves his house and stands on the porch looking around at the house on his block.)

Hanru: (Thinking) Ada's right about my life. It's easy to just sit back and observe the world and understand how it works, but I have no experiences in life. Maybe that's the difference between emotions and logic- they both assist our motivation for living and reason with our ideas of what we think is real. Logic and knowledge are useless unless it is understood, and to fully understand something is to experience it through feelings and feelings are our emotions. Emotions and logic seem to cancel each other out, but at the same time, they complement each other and balance out. Can they exist without one another?

(A small red car parks in front of Hanru's home and out comes Jack Gustavo and his nephew Dalton. Hanru approaches them.)

Hanru: I wonder what today's adventure will be.

Jack: We're taking another fieldtrip; only this time, there's a surprise guest star joining us.

(University)

(Holly, Jake, and Tsuki are all seen walking across the large school campus. Holly is fascinated by how many people there are and how big the campus is.)

Holly: I feel like such an air-head right now. This place is so huge! I feel a lot smarter already just being here.

Tsuki: Yeah well college life isn't easy and you'd be stupid or a liar if you say anything to disagree. When you're in these walls, it's like living in a completely new world. This can sometimes be scary because of the diversity. This school isn't just filled with people from "your side of town", it's filled with people from all over the country and sometimes other countries and of course you have people who see college as a place to create alternate-egos. Think of college as the third eye- a bridge between who you are and who you will be becoming. Once you start college, you'll have to be dedicated to your work and your studies and that won't be easy if you have other things to worry about in your real life like family issues or even relationship issues. Your mind has to shift, little sister. It may take some time, but you'll get it. The campus has a few jobs you can work to earn a little extra money and they also have loans for books and stuff.

Holly: Wow, it sounds like so much.

Tsuki: The first step to any transition is normally the hardest because it is usually the leap of faith. Now that word faith is a strong one. Don't let religion fool you into having a false definition of what that word means.

Holly: Doesn't it just mean to believe in something you can't see?

Tsuki: (Smiles and chuckles a bit) Yeah, sorta. It does mean that, but it also means to detach yourself from whatever is holding you back and it also mean acceptance and love.

Holly: uh... love...? How...?

Tsuki: Let's move on with the tour.

(Hanru and Jack Gustavo exit Jack's red car parked on the curb in front of a middle-class home in a middle-class neighborhood. Hanru looks around at all the kids playing soccer on the block, and then looks up at the dark rain clouds forming in the sky)

Jack: I want you to meet someone.

(Hanru enters the home behind Jack. The first thing he notices in the clean and neatly-decorated home is a tall blonde Russian woman standing in front of her T.V. in gray sweats and a blue muscle shirt holding her hands together balancing herself on one foot.)

Jack: I'd like you to meet my wife, Sveti.

Hanru: Sveti: that's a nice name.

(Sveti turns to face Hanru and all he can see is glowing aura of white light glimmering around her body, her beautiful comforting smile and her gorgeous ocean blue eyes that Hanru gets lost in. After about 3 seconds, he snaps out of his day-dream and instantly becomes shy and nervous as she confidently approaches him while continuing to smile.)

Jack: As you can see, she's into all that yoga stuff.

Sveti: (Gives Hanru a handshake) It is very nice to meet you. As you can see, my husband is a like an infant child; always bringing in strays to play with ; knowing they'll have to go at some point.

Jack: (Chuckle) Don't scare the boy, now, Sveti. I don't know; I might keep this one around.

Sveti: (Not convinced) Mm... Just make sure you clean up his mess after you're done playing with him.

Jack: Yes, will do, dear.

(There is a knock on the glass front door. Stevi, Hanru, and Jack turn around to see who it is and are surprised. Jack opens the door and it's Casey.)

Hanru: Casey?!

Jack: Your friend here is a very loyal follower. That or he's just crazy.

Casey: (Grins at Hanru) Hey, Hanru. (Says to Jack) May I use your restroom?

Jack: Go right ahead, sir.

(Casey walks pass a bedroom but then something catches his attention and he retraces his steps and stands in the doorway. Casey see's a young woman around his age sitting at her computer desk with headphones over her ears rapping and writing notes on her notepad.)

Girl: My mission is to take you; lyrically break you, lyrically assassinate you; lyrically incinerate you- Body and recreate you to destroy the power that mentally incarcerates you. Cause even though I rip it better, I cannot forsake you, you're my people with the same oppressors, so how could I hate you? The revolution of the mind I bring regenerates you. But when you come originate, people impersonate you; start to hate you cause the conflict is building within, the ultimate sin, is to be ashamed of your skin- Dang it. (Takes her head phones off in frustration)

(Casey walks into the room and stands beside her.)

Casey: You've got some sweet rhymes there.

Girl: They're not mine. They belong to some underground rapper. You can maybe learn something from him.

Casey: Sorry but I'm not into all those conspiracy theories.

Girl: (Glares at Casey) Of course not. You'd rather spent your life flopping your butt down on a seat- listening to lectures and lectures from underpaid; under qualified people who make a living feeding you garbage that they were programmed to believe by the same people they've become! You'd rather dedicate your life to working for the very people who want to someday make you their puppet if by any chance you amount to anything or they'd either want you dead. Or you can just sit home in your room all day watching objectified material that makes you feel better as a person and watch T.V. that gives you a false sense of society and standards of what this world should be! You're just like a slave! I bet you have a facebook... Facebook itself is such a well-designed formatted concept. It's a seed idea which grows into the minds of dumb people! You see Facebook as a way to communicate with friends and family and see cool pictures and keep up with your friends, yeah! Well I see Facebook as a mentally neutralizing gateway social media drug that controls your mind and takes you away from reality and putting forth effort into seeing your friends in person!

Casey: Well sometimes you can always see your friends and family cause you're busy or maybe they're busy.

Girl: That's why it's so brilliant! Everything in this world that is evil can always be justified depending on how you look at things and Facebook's main theme is to keep people together. When in reality, you're activity is being monitored, everyone you're connected to publically displayed, and your brain activity feels that Facebook is justifiable because you feel connected to people you care about! Facebook it just one of many brainwashing conspiracy sites. It started before Myspace and Tagged, but those are the sites that really became popular and formed things like Facebook, Instagram, Skype, Twitter, kik! You get one sight and there is about a 60% you'll join another. The human mind reacts to radio waves in the air and those waves come from what we call wifi. The internet is one thing, but with all this Wifi radiation all around us, it allows "them" to see us and know our thoughts and feelings. Wifi is nothing more than invisible data that can be converted into video format and we can be spied on!

Casey: Yeah, of course it is... You know, you're pretty crazy and not in a good sexy kind of way either.

Girl: Your perception of sex is defined by what media feeds you, isn't it? Society isn't so much the problem; media is because today's society is built on media!

Casey: You have many interesting theories, miss, but I think I've heard enough.

Girl: (Whispers) Have you ever wondered why certain comments on facebook are highlighted when you post them? It's because you typed in a keyword that strikes "their" interest... If you ever type in a word that has something to do with UFO's, it'll happen. But shhh; you didn't hear that from anyone- especially me.

Casey: Right, well I better get going to the restroom. After what I just heard, I think I need to take a number 2 now. Let's hope a scuba diver doesn't come out the toilet and shoot my butt hole with a poison dart for hearing too much. (Leaves the room)

(Back in the living room, Gustavo's nephew Dalton just casually sits on the couch staring at Hanru with a slight grin on his face.)

Hanru: I'm sorry, can I help you with something?

(Dalton just ignores Hanru and keeps starring at him for another 4 seconds before chuckling and wondering off to the back of the house.)

Jack: Excuse me. (Follows Dalton to the back)

Sveti: So, what is my husband having you do for him in exchange for your life?

Hanru: I've been asking myself that same question. He's killed I don't know how many people just to get to me and now he's found me but he hasn't done much with me; just drive me places and show me things.

Sveti: Of course...

Hanru: What's that supposed to mean?

Sveti: Nothing. You should make yourself at home. I'm already behind my yoga routine.

Hanru: So you do Yoga.

Sveti: It's a good way to release the toxic energy my husband brings home from work.

Hanru: (Chuckles) Oh, so I must be toxic energy?

Sveti: You're cute; but not funny, so stop making corny jokes.

Hanru: Sorry, I've just always been interested on yoga. Yoga is like a form of martial arts.

Sveti: (Stretching in front of the T.V.) Yes I know this. (Holding right leg over her head and stretching it)

Hanru: Yeah... so maybe you can train me to be as... flexible as you.

Sveti: (Lowers leg to the floor and turns to Hanru) I do not appreciate you staring at my camel toe while I do my exercises-

Hanru: No, no, I wasn't. I'm not into that. I was just... (Looks away in embarrassment) Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. I understand you're a married woman and... a woman... and it's wrong for me to look at you like that...

Sveti: You're a strange one. I promise to keep this between us if you go fetch me coconut water from the frigorifero.

Hanru: I'm sorry?

Sveti: That is Italian for refrigerator. I hope I said it correctly.

Hanru: Oh, right. (Leaves toward the kitchen)

(Police station)

(Detective Henry Michaels and Mack Samuels both sit side by side in their Lieutenant's office. Henru looks at her crucket name plate on the desk facing southwest. He stares at it a few seconds and straightens it to face south. He begins to admire the name "Jennifer Lin", but she walks into her office seconds later and sits at her desk. She notices her plate has been moved and she quickly glances at Henry.)

Jennifer: Okay, boys; what do you got for me?

Mack: Well it turns out my suspicions were right about Mr.... Gingerbread man, AKA Otis.

Jennifer: What do you mean?

Henry: After tailing him a while we found out he and his crew are planning a heist. He had a hunch he was being followed by the police, so he put it off, but now he and his crew are setting things in motion again.

Mack: Otis may also be working with a man who goes by the name LJ. He may be a new recruit bringing the total to 5 crew members.

Henry: (Glances over at Mack) But we don't know that for sure. So he's just on our list of suspected crew members.

Mack: As long as we've been following him, we both know he's working with them. LT, we need permission to move in on them right now.

Jennifer: So far you've made a very poor attempt to convince me these guys are planning a heist. With something this serious, I need proof before I issue any warrants. Do you understand? And please DO NOT bring me any illegally obtained evidence.

Mack: Yes, ma'am.

Jennifer: Samuels, I know you're new to being a detective but I expect more patience and better work outta you.

Mack: Yes, ma'am.

(Water fountain on college campus)

(Jake and Holly both stand beside each other staring into river of water in the middle of college campus. Jake hands Holly a penny.)

Holly: Oh, what is this for?

Jake: Make a wish.

Holly: A wish? Well I don't really believe in that sort of stuff, but I guess. (Flips penny into the pond then closes her eyes for 3 seconds)

Jake: What did you wish for?

Holly: That life would be simpler.

Jake: (Chuckles) That's a pretty big wish.

Holly: Well yeah, but I just meant my life. I'm such a routine kind of girl who feels that life should always be about adapting to the change of society.

Jake: Society, really? I can't name one person who agrees with following the ideal methods of society.

Holly: Well not so much as society, society, but like... certain areas, I guess, of society.

Jake: How about you share some of your insight with me on that.

Holly: Well like, I think society changes all the time and so do the expectations of gender roles. Most people just feel they should go their own way and be rebels to society and do their own thing, when really I feel that we'd all be happier if we all just agree to live by the same rules instead of being so divided.

Jake: Don't let anyone else hear you say that; they won't be as accepting as me.

Holly: What do you mean?

Jake: Take it from someone who studies philosophy during his spare time. People who do not understand your point of view will only reject you and argue against you with their own logic. I often wondered what logic is because logic is not always definite. Never mind, let's not get into all this right now; I can get pretty crazy. (Takes a deep breath)

Holly: (Admiring his facial expression) That is the first time I've seen seriousness in your eyes. You're really passionate about this stuff, aren't you?

Jake: I can be at times, yes.

Holly: (Smiles and slightly tilts her head) Well maybe we can discuss this more while we walk.

(Outside in a large dead backyard filled with 3 foot tall weeds, a small bunny is need hopping around in a dirt pile smelling around for food. Out of nowhere, the bunny is pierced in the head with an arrow. It arms and legs attempt to run but it dies within a few seconds. Dalton sits on the roof of his home with a bow in his hand laughing. Dalton jumps off the roof, runs up to the bunny and holds it up in front of him by firmly grasping the arrow in its head. He examines the body thoroughly. Hanru sits inside watching Dalton through the kitchen window; Jack sits at the table behind him.)

Hanru: Your nephew has some real issues, doesn't he...?

Jack: Some diseases came to this country through animals. He's just killing anything that may seem harmful to our household. He's like our guardian.

Hanru: Some guardian. He just murdered a harmless rabbit.

Jack: In some places, animals are put under surgery and are implanted with bombs, drugs, and sometimes other small objects which can be smuggled; humans aren't the only ones. When you look around and see birds, bugs, and even rabbits out in public, the thought never crosses your mind that these things may not even be real- that they might be machines under animal coating. Believe me I've done it before and you and I are going to do it again tonight.

Hanru: No.

Jack: Well you don't really have a choice in this. The zoo and sometimes even the carnival would import animals oversea. What me and my crew would do is we'd kidnap one of the animals, implant it with whatever I needed smuggled out and I would have whoever I was making the deal to take that same animal and remove the item in circulation. You, me, your buddy Casey, and two other associates of mine will be doing this thing. They need some money and I need a cheap crew for this job. Later we'll go over the details, but for right now- (Grabs a Twinkie from a box beside him and hands one to Hanru) Just sit back and make yourself at home. No pressure about tonight.

Hanru: No pressure? Are you serious right now?

Jack: Look, you're doing this job tonight and pouting about it isn't going to make this situation any easier for you. What do you expect for me to feel sorry for you and let you be on your married way back home?! NO! That's not how it works! (Bangs his fist on the table)

(4 seconds of silent tension passes and Sveti walks in.)

Sveti: You boys play nice now. (Walks away)

Jack: Yes, dear, sorry.

Hanru: Sighs (Thinking) I suppose he does have a point If he's gonna force me to do this thing against my will, I should try and keep a clear head. He also could be trying to set me up as a scapegoat if things go south. Why else would he need a rookie like me on his team? Why is he even keeping me around?

(Jack stands and walks around the kitchen preparing himself a hot pot of tea.)

Jack: So, Hanru, I'm curious to know how you're holding up after that whole situation with that woman being killed right in front of you. Do you look at life any different since that recreational day?

Hanru: (Clenches is hands together and gently places them in front of him on the table) After a while, my mind went different places. But mainly I just... miss her. Like... as if she was close to me already- like if I knew her.

Jack: Sounds scripted to me.

Hanru: Last night all I could do was literally cry over her.

Jack: (Smiles) Right...

Hanru: (Takes a deep breath and lowers his arms to try and relieve the tension) Let's hear your story, Jack.

Jack: Well I was born and raised in Italia; as you can tell by how my accent goes back and forth from American, to Italian. I lived a great life and had many brothers and sisters who made life worth living.

Hanru: But then?

(Jack remains silent for 8 seconds. He turns around and pours the hot cup of water into a small brown cup. As the white steam rapidly rises over his face, flickering red and black steam are seen in the reflections of his pupils. After 5 seconds, he turns to Hanru and smiles at him while stirring sugar into his hot tea.)

Jack: (Loosing comprehension and slowly begins venting) They all left me behind though. The world thought that Dante Romano Cipriani De Venice was lying over dead in his grave, but no- he was not. He was safely tucked away in the sweet warm bloomers of Caterina: The eldest sister of that cowardice so called friend Damiano who left me for blame after we both agreed to have each other's backs if we got busted. (Snaps out of his dazed) Hanru, I promised to never leave any of my comrades behind on any job just as long as I can help without jeopardizing the job. If you're concerned about me setting you up as the fall guy, you have nothing to worry about. I will not set you up or abandon you during this job.

Hanru: ... I believe you.

Jack: Good.

Hanru: So now I know a little bit about you. But where did Dalton come from and why is he the way he is?

Jack: Ah; Dalton- my nephew. Well my eldest sister remained loyal to me and eventually got married and gave birth to Dalton. My sister hopes to rebuild our family name so she is in Italia doing her own thing. She sent Dalton to me because he was a troubled child and she thought I could raise him better. She was too busy trying to restore our family's reputation.

Hanru: So he got in the way of that and she disowned him?

Jack: (Looks down in his tea and stirs it) My sister has her flaws but she is still my sister. (Stares at Hanru for 3 seconds) What do you think of the situation?

Hanru: It's not my place to judge or base my opinion.

Jack: What if your mother disowned you?

Hanru: She already did. I was a baby and I was injured really badly and so was she.

Jack: Oh, so that would make sense why you gave my wife that lustful look when you met her earlier.

Hanru: (Rubs forehead) I'm sorry about that... But what exactly do you mean?

Jack: Do you ever find yourself more attracted to women your age or older? Be honest now.

Hanru: I find myself more attracted to older women, yes; sometimes in their 30's or 40's. They're more mature and know what they want out of life. Their bodies are more developed, they've been through many experiences in life and I don't care about physical appearance in the long run, but I do find older women to be highly more attractive. And yes... when I saw your wife, I did sorta... feel something.

Jack: You feel neglected- like you've never had a real mother to experience life with. Your sexual tension toward older women is like a manifestation of your mother's absence.

Hanru: (Getting a bit defensive) No; I still have a step mother and she's been with me for over 5 years now.

Jack: And what is your relationship with her like? Be truthful.

Hanru: (A bit nervous) Nearly non-existent. We do a few things here and there and have small talks but nothing too crazy. Every time I try to open up, something goes wrong. She'll maybe not acknowledge the way I feel... or... She'll take my sharing for granted...

Jack: You're very emotionally unstable yourself, aren't you?

(Hanru just sits nervous and quiet with a sad look on his face looking at Jack.)

Jack: You're trying to find a woman who will help you fulfill those gaps in your life and who would fulfill a motherly role for you, but you want a stable woman who won't bring her personal drama to you; you want to grow with her. You want her to love you and take care of you like a mother should.

Hanru: No. I can handle almost any kind of drama any woman has. I'll help her through it and I'd be happy to do so.

Jack: And you take on a sort of dominant role, don't you? People aren't so black and white, kid, and I mean that mentally. People can literally have different personalities and different perspectives of life through each personality. So far you have three I've noticed. You have this confident take-charge personality, but you also have this sorta neutral anti-social, lover oriented, need to make people's lives better, romantic personality too, and you have the personality you're in now- the emotional nurturing and desire to be nurtured, melancholy, head in the clouds, depressing, scared, quiet, passionate personality. During each change, your desires and thoughts of life change, don't they?

Hanru: They do yeah.

Jack: One of these personalities desires to be cared for and loved by an older woman who can offer you many things, but at the same time, you want to please her and build memories with her and you want the two of you to be in perfect sync with one another all the time. You want to experience a full loving connection with someone whom you can give your all too and she will accept it and fulfill what you need. You sensed something in my wife when you walked in. You saw she was beautiful, older, in shape, practicing yoga, and not afraid to be who she really is. You saw that she has control of her life and chooses to keep spiritually awakening herself.

Hanru: I did. And I want to be all of those things. Everything your wife is, I was. And I felt like she could teach me be more like her and help me free myself from this mental prison I've trapped myself in...

Jack: Exactly. You wanted her to fill in for your mother.

Hanru: I don't know if I wanna be like this anymore. One of the more destructive forces in this world above hatred, above racism, and even nuclear bombs... is happiness.

Jack: Happiness? Happiness is essential to our being.

Hanru: Everything in this world balances itself out by being only as strong as its greatest weakness. Happiness is an extremely powerful emotion that can drive any human being but happiness can produce just as much good as it can misery. Wanting to be happy and pursuing it seems to be the source of why people get hurt, become abandoned, and become greedy, emotionless monsters. "Oh I need to be happy." "This will make me happy." "No one cares about me, so why should I care about them and sacrifice my own happiness for others?" "Oh I know you loved me with all you heart, but I found someone else who makes me happy and I wanna be with them." You know what happiness was like for me when I was younger, Jack? Every time I became really happy, I would stop smiling or laughing and I would realize that happiness won't always last forever. Sometimes I would feel guilty about being too happy and I would just... remain neutral and appreciate this moment and think about the pleasure and life and how they won't last forever, so the best thing for me to do is to be thankful for being alive to enjoy whatever I had that made me momentarily happy. And I would enjoy life in a silent display of happiness. I was a little kid with this kind of mentality! I was still in pre-school, the earliest I can remember I felt this.

Jack: Boy, kid; you have more mental complications than I thought.

Hanru: There's a lot about myself that hasn't been revealed.

Jack: As of me, little soldier- as of me. (Takes a sip of tea)

(LJ's home)

(LJ opens his front door and to his surprise, it's Detective Henry rushing into his home a bit nerve rattled.)

Henry: Close the door.

(LJ closes the door and turns to Henry with a look of uncertainty. He know's Henry's visit doesn't mean anything good.)

Henry: My partner has caught wind of the little job you and your boy Otis are planning, so you need to just reschedule this thing or drop it altogether. I'd say option 2 is the smarter choice.

LJ: I thought I noticed some squirrels on my tail. My eyes aren't as rusty as I thought.

Henry: So what are you gonna do? I'd hate to see you in jail- considering we used to be partners and all.

LJ: Look, that job has been canned. Otis got too twitchy so he called the whole thing off.

Henry: Are you sure you're not just saying that?

LJ: So wait; is your girl Erika spending time with my girl in an attempt to get to me?

Henry: Someone has a big ego.

LJ: I mean is she undercover!?

Henry: No. That's her own thing; that's got nothing to do with us.

LJ: (Stares into Henry's eyes intently) So I got nothing to "worry" about.

Henry: You and your tense threats. Just chill for once, and flow with the breeze

LJ: Yeah, yeah, look the decision is done and we're not doing it. Now get your boy off my back and let me get back to wearing my man sandals, kickin’ my feet up on my balcony and enjoying the beautiful sunsets in my quiet suburban white folk neighborhood- in private.

Henry: (Sighs and scratches head) Well. Just consider this a warning for old time sake.

LJ: Thank you, detective.

Henry: (Points at LJ) But if anything happens to Erika, I’m not covering for you.

LJ: I’ll let her and Janet do their own thing. I’m a man; I have no place in their world.

Henry: Unless they want a three-some though, right? Then you’re onboard.

LJ: (Smirks) Maybe the old me, man, but I’m done with all that. As your people would say it- I’m trying to be an upstanding citizen of this community.

Henry: And how is that working out for you?

LJ: ... It sucks.

(The both of them chuckle a bit.)

Henry: Well, no worries on that, brotha; you’ll adapt to it soon. It just takes patience and sacrifice, you know?

LJ: Yeah, all too well. You should see this drama the old lady’s putting me through. (Shrugs) Yeah I understand that she’s going through a lot also, but the truth is the truth; she’s bugging me sometimes.

Henry: Well she’s lucky to have a real man like you around.

LJ: “Real man”? What does that mean? Am I only a man because of how I treat her? All girls have to do is turn 13 and their women.

Henry: Yeah, females bleed from their junk and all of a sudden their entire lives unfold; it’s not fair. But hey, almost all women care about only themselves and their happiness and their own personal journey through life. All we as men can do is help them while they do their own thing.

LJ: Let me get you a drink. Come outside to the back with me.

(About 30 seconds later, LJ and Henry are standing in the middle of LJ’s medium size dirt-filled backyard. Only one huge tree can be seen in the yard and it is toward the back right corner. The two of them hold glass bottles of orange sodas in their hand.)

Henry: You really keep up with this backyard. (Lightly kicks his shoe in the dirt) Not a speck of weed anywhere.

LJ: Yeah, I’m a perfectionist; I like my things neat and precise.

Henry: Yeah, you Virgo’s usually do.

LJ: So what makes women so special to wear I need to put my own moral beliefs aside? She is a woman, but she’s still an adult and she needs to handle her own stuff her way without me being her little punching bag when she needs to let out some of her stress.

Henry: Nature always nurtures itself, LJ, but it’s our job as humans to nurture nature. Same thing with women- they can take care of themselves, but we need to be there to help take care of them. It can go either way, but most women don’t have it programmed into their mind to sacrifice what makes them feel whole or complete. But we as men do, and because we are more likely to access the part of our brains that allow us to be more willing to sacrifice, we need to turn this gift into a tool to help other people who need us.

LJ: (Turns around and collects his thoughts a bit while taking a drink of orange soda) I’m still not quite understanding, Hank.

Henry: I wouldn’t expect you to, Lawrence.

(LJ turns around and glances up at Henry.)

Henry: This was a nice talk. It’s good to catch up on things. (Walks away) And thank you very much for the orange soda! If you need anything else, you have my cell number.

(Tammy, and Jessica’s old apartment)

(Jessica walks down the hall of her old apartment and 3 over-excited kids rush pass her. Jessica knocks on the door, but shortly after, hears yelling. After about 5 seconds, she places her ear on the door and the door is forcefully pulled open by Tammy. Jessica gets startled and backs away from the door. Tammy looks up and down Jessica and then just walks away. Jessica walks in cautiously and sees two men in the middle of the studio apartment heated. These two men are Charlie Roads and Ray. They both calm down a bit after seeing Jessica.)

Jessica: What’s going on here?

(Tammy sits on her bed with her legs crossed trying to light a cigarette.)

Tammy: I was in the middle of getting my litter box waxed by one guy and in the middle of it, guy number 2 just barges in.

Charlie: I’m sorry; I thought he lived here. I didn’t mean to scare you but after I barged in, I just acted in the moment. I’m sorry.

Jessica: Tammy, did I leave a black trash bag here with some stuff in it?

Tammy: It’s behind the couch. I’d figure you’d come looking for it at some point.

Jessica: Thank you.

Charlie: Karen and I are trying to work out our marriage and we don’t need you complicating things anymore!

Ray: (Almost crying) But I love her... She... She’s the only woman who’s ever loved me back.

Charlie: Tough. Deal with it in your own way, but stay away from my family.

Ray: You just don’t understand. (Storms out of the apartment and slams the front door shut on his way out)

Tammy: That guy is one of my best clients, but I do catch him following me sometimes. Hey, what do you do? At least he pays. Anyway so you're not confused, Ray has been stalking Karen, so Charlie came to my apartment thinking it was Ray's and tried to rough him up and tell him to stop.

Jessica: Alright then.

(Fast-Food restaurant)

(Nicky and Lee stand in line waiting behind 3 customers. The 3 customers are a pregnant mother frustrated by her bratty 5 year old son yelling and pouting about not getting his 20 piece chicken nuggets. Her slightly older daughter humbly stands beside her mother on her cell phone basking in her own ego of feeling like the "superior" child. An impatient man stands behind the single mother shaking his head in disappointment of her seemingly "terrible" parenting skills. Nicky absorbs the situation in detail.)

Nicky: Wow, that woman really has her hands full.

Lee: (Starring off in a different direction) That's not the only thing full.

Nicky: (Looks at Lee) What? (Glances in the direction Lee was starring in)

Lee: (Looks at children, and then Nicky) She's probably had like a whole decade to figure out this mother thing and if she hasn't gotten it yet, than it's her fault.

Nicky: (Stares straight ahead) I would imagine being a single mother isn't easy.

(Lee's eyes drift off once again and he watches a very attractive young Latina at the soda machine smiling and locking her eyes with his.)

Nicky: Lee?

Lee: (Defensive) Don't worry about her business. Just do your own thing and ignore her. You'll do fine as a mom.

(The Latina woman walks around the corner continuing to stare at Lee.)

Nicky: Lee, who are you starring at?

Lee: Nothing. I need the restroom. (Walks away) You know what to order me.

(Lee turns the corner and sees the woman walks into the restroom starring at him. He follows her in, not realizing that Nicky was watching him the entire time. Lee walks into the restroom and the Latina woman just stares into his eyes. He attempts to open his mouth and speak but she puts her finger across his lips to keep him quiet. She walks around him and locks the door before removing her loose T-shirt. A few minutes pass and Nicky is sitting down at a table closest to the children's play area watching the kids laugh, play, and have a good time. Her mind drifts off a bit and a big smile is slapped across her face as she watches the happy children. She sees a girl walk up to one of the boys and give him a chicken nugget. He looks at all his boy-friends behind him and then he grabs the nugget and throws it down on the floor. The boy and his friend then make faces and tease the girl. She looks down at the floor and runs away. The boy secretly picks the nugget back up and then runs to his parents as his friends continue to play. The boy grabs some fries out of his box and runs up to the girl sitting alone in the corner. He hands her the French fries and eats the nugget she gave him. She smiles at him and they both finish eating together. He runs off to join his friends in a game of tag but they are shortly interrupted by the girl who approaches the boy and kisses him in the cheek. She bolts off in the other direction and all of the boy's friends laugh at him while he desperately tries wiping the kiss off his face. Nicky begins laughing while a big smile comes across her face. Lee sits beside Nicky and before he can say a word, she just gives him a big hug while continuing to cry.)

(Dan's house)

(Jessica walks across her old lawn and a black woman about her age passes by on a bike waving hi to her. Jessica smiles and waves back.)

Jessica: Hey!

(Jessica walks into her room and sees her father lying down on his old torn up dirty chair watching "I Love Lucy" with a blank look on his face. Jessica approaches her dad while wearing a backpack.)

Jessica: Hey, dad.

Dan: You still call me that?

Jessica: Well yeah. You're the closest thing to a dad I've got- despite you being a piece of garbage.

(Dan chuckles a bit for a few seconds, and then continues to watch T.V. Jessica looks at the T.V. and the room is filled with nothing but the sounds of quirky comments and laughter on the T.V. for 5 seconds. Jessica sits on the couch a few feet to the right of Dan's chair. Another 5 seconds pass.)

Jessica: (Examines her father) I see no trusty bottle in hand. Did you run out?

Dan: If I had a bottle left, I'd be using it to knock you upside the head so I could hear my show.

(Jessica lowers her backpack to the ground and pulls out a brown paper bag. She walks over to her father and throws it on his lap. Shocked by this generous gift, he opens it and it's a large bottle of liquor. Jessica sits back down on the couch and Dan begins to slowly sit up in his chair. He turns to his surrogate daughter and she blankly stairs back at him.)

Dan: I would expect a lecture from you about how drinking won't solve my problems and all that blah, blah.

Jessica: It's your favorite drink. I really wish you would stop, dad, but you probably never will. I just... wanted to make you happy.

Dan: Well... About time you did something right. (Pops bottle open and begins drinking straight from the bottle)

Jessica: There's more in the bag if you want more.

Dan: (Excited) Beautiful! (Watches Lucy and bursts out laughing)

(Nicky's apartment)

(Lee and Nicky both sit side-by-side at the counter in the kitchen.)

Nicky: After we finish this meal, you need to take a shower.

Lee: What? Why?

Nicky: I hope you at least wore protection.

Lee: Oh, come on, Nicky.

Nicky: LEE! (Takes a moment to calm down) Lee, I am a woman, ok; I recognize what you did in the bathroom with that other girl.

Lee: Well... yeah, I did it, but that didn't mean anything. She was just a random stranger!

Nicky: It was sex, Lee; it always means something.

Lee: No, not really. It never does.

Nicky: So what do you call us?

Lee: I'm not gonna repeat myself. (Continues eating)

Nicky: (Smacks food out of his hand) So you're telling me that there is nothing between us when we're in bed together?

Lee: Not really. I mean sex is good, but other than that, there's nothing special about it. (Shrugs)

Nicky: I really can't believe you sometimes, Lee.

Lee: Well it's the truth. Sorry, but you'll just have to get over this in your own way. I'm only here until you get pregnant, then I'm out of here, so what's the point in forming these unnecessary feelings? Obviously you misunderstand our agreement. You know what... (Sighs) You deal with your emotional issues by yourself cause I don't wanna deal with them. I'll see you later- or not; I don't care.

(Grabs food and leaves apartment)

(Holly’s home)

(It’s getting late and the sun is about to set. Jake walks Holly to her to the porch of her front door and the two of them stand face-to-face making eye-contact during the tender moment.)

Holly: I had fun today. We should do this again sometime- just... me and you... (Chuckles)

Jake: I’d really like that. You seem like a very interesting girl and I think we’d make great friends.

Holly: Oh come on, you know you don’t want to be my friend.

Jake: Ah, you’re right. What guy wants to hang out with a girl as sexy as you and not call her his?

Holly: (Blushes a bit) Thanks. You’re really sweet, and honest. I know I keep saying that but I really do admire your honesty.

Jake: Then can I be honest and tell you how bad I wanna kiss you right now?

(Tsuki comes out of nowhere and stands between the two of them.)

Tsuki: Alright you love-puppies, it’s getting late and we’ve gotta figure out what we’re having for dinner, so Jake, it was nice meeting you, and I’m sure I’ll see you soon, but you gotta take a hike right now.

Jake: I see why you admire honesty so much; it must run in your family.

Holly: (Laughs) Goodnight, Jake.

(Tsuki and Holly walk into the house after saying their goodbyes to Jake. They turn on the living room and kitchen lights and sit at the island in the middle of the kitchen.)

Holly: So you really like him? Do you think I can trust him?

Tsuki: Well he’s not a serial killer, I can tell you that much. You’ll always be my sister and I’ll always try and lookout for you but you’ve gotta make decisions on your own sometimes.

Holly: Yeah... It’s always easy though- making your own decision.

Tsuki: (Rubs Holly’s hair and embraces her) Yeah... You’ll be fine; I’m keeping you in my prayers.

(They both stop hugging and Tsuki walks to the other side of the counter.)

Tsuki: So what’s for dinner? (Cuts Holly off before she can talk) Pizza? Alright! What kind? (Cuts Holly off before she can talk again) Meat lovers? It sounds like a plan to me!

(Holly and Tsuki both laugh at Tsuki’s humorous dialogue.)

(Fancy Restaurant)

(Erika and Janet are both well-dressed and sit across from each other at a dim-lighted romantic restaurant.)

Janet: I can’t remember the last time someone took me out someplace nice without expecting sex at the end.

Erika: (Flirtatious joke) Well maybe I’m expecting to have a little take-home desert after dinner. (Wink)

(They both laugh a bit.)

Janet: Ah, man. I can’t believe how comfortable we’ve gotten around each other in such a short time.

Erika: Well we both are recovering substance abusers and we’re both just trying to expand who we are as people.

Janet: I guess that’s a positive way to look at things.

(An English male waiter approaches the two of them.)

Waiter: Are you ladies ready to order?

Janet: She’s paying so I want the most expensive thing on the menu.

Erika: (Caught off guard) You’re not serious, are you?

Janet: Right... Sorry, I’m used to taking advantage of my male dates. (Chuckles) I guess I’ll just have a salad.

Erika: Salad is the appetizer.

Janet: Oh. Then I guess something with chicken.

Waiter: Something with chicken it is, ma’am. May I suggest the baked chicken Alfredo dinner?

Janet: Mmm, you make it sound so good, Jeeves. You’ve convinced me; I’ll go with that.

Waiter: And what sides would you like with your dinner tonight?

Janet: Ooh, how about a steak?!

Waiter: That will be $14 extra.

Janet: Oh snap, I can really get a steak for a side? Well in that case I’ll take it. And maybe some mashed potatoes.

Erika: (Shrugs) What the heck; I’ll be first to ride that train; I'll get the same.

Waitress: Sure thing, ma'am.

(Erika and Janet hand the waiter their menus.)

Erika: So, how are you enjoying this woman's night out? It must be a very eerie change for you.

Janet: I have to agree with you on that. Never in my life did I imagine I would be sitting down with a female friend just being casual. I like this a lot more than my regular life.

Erika: (A bit passionate and tense) I would hope so. I mean sex is good, I suppose, but a casual outing is much more self respectable.

Janet: You suppose? I'm not one to judge, by from my vast experience in this department, I'd say you haven't had much of a good sexual experience.

Erika: (Hesitant) I've had my experiences.

Janet: Yeah, but none very memorable apparently. Hopes of me giving an estimate of how many men I've been with are pretty non-existent, but I'm sure your count is easier to keep track of.

Erika: (Clears throat) I've had a total of two partners... technically.

Janet: Technically?

Erika: Yeah, well I'm not much for sharing the most intimate part of myself with some stranger.

Janet: (Leans forward and makes eye-contact to get more personal) If we were having the conversation a year ago, I would convince you of how great the experience of being with a stranger is. (Brakes eye-contact and sits back in her chair) But trust me when I say it's not worth it in the end.

Erika: Oh, you definitely don't need to tell me.

Janet: Good. So let me ask you- why can't you open yourself up to sex? Are you scared of it or something?

Erika: (Takes a deep breath) My therapist tells me I should be open and honest about my experiences if I am to move forward and not let them hold me back from realizing my real potential as a woman. So I'll be honest, but... (Stares into Janet's eyes for 3 seconds and then looks away before resuming her sentence) As long as you keep this between us, I guess I can baby step my way into learning how to trust; then I guess things will work out. So I lost my virginity to a man named Oliver. After I graduated high-school, he found me. I lived with him for awhile and he would force me to be intimate with him. He even got me pregnant but then forced me to get an abortion. About 3 years ago in 2010, an old high school friend of mine named Isaac did some sexual things with me. Those were my two sexual experiences.

Janet: So what happened to Isaac?

Erika: ... He left me.

Janet: (Lightly nods) So you have a hard time sharing yourself with other people because of your traumatic experience with this Oliver guy? Maybe I can help you get passed this.

Erika: No. Just... no. I've worked through this already and I'm fine. I just wanna wait for the right guy to show up.

Janet: That's very noble of you.

Erika: Thanks.

Janet: I wish I could've waited for the right guy.

Erika: LJ's not the right guy?

Janet: Well.

Waiter: Your food will be out shortly, ladies. In the meantime, may I bring you anything?

Janet: Well, we still haven't gotten our salad or peach iced teas. It would be nice to have those in about... 5 minutes ago.

Waiter: My apologies; I will bring them right out. (Walks away)

Janet: Let's talk about something light while we eat.

Erika: Like what?

Janet: Puppies. I absolutely adore puppies.

(Jack Gustavo's front yard; midnight)

(Hanru and Jack are standing on Jack's porch. Jack stands in the doorway holding the front door open and talking to his wife. Hanru nervously, but patiently, stands behind Jack.)

Jack: Alright, honey; we'll talk more when I get back.

Sveti: Bye.

(Jack closes the door and both he and Hanru walk out on the lawn talking.)

Jack: So, you ready for your first steps into man-hood tonight?

Hanru: I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Jack: We ate some good food, relaxed for a little while; watched some Futurama. Overall I'd say it was a good day.

Hanru: But now the darkness descends and the chaos begins.

Jack: (Winks at Hanru) There you go, son. Now from here on out, no more jokes; we keep things professional and straight. And I don't wanna hear any of your smart comments, alright?

Hanru: Yes, sir.

Jack: What was that? You never call me sir. Were you being smart?

Hanru: Not that I know of.

Jack: (Bothered) Right. (Shakes it off) Your buddy in there wanted to come to keep an eye on you but under these circumstances, he'd just be in the way. (Coughs in his hand three times)

Hanru: What is that?

Jack: Ah, I'm getting sick. (Sniffs) My body's been fighting it off since yesterday; it's doing a good job so far. (Quietly Sneezed)

Hanru: Try not to get me sick too; I'm sure I have a weak immune system from lack of healthy nutrients.

(Zoo; Midnight)

(Inside of a tinted four-door black SUV, sit four individuals- Hanru, Jack, LJ, and another black guy named Otis. LJ and Otis are sitting in the back seat. Otis is glaring at Hanru with a very evil look, but Hanru does not turn around to see this.)

Jack: Alright, the security just started their route. I'm taking the kid with me to signal you two, so you better keep a sharp eye out and you better haul it to where I signal you to post up. Let's move, kid.

(Jack and Hanru quickly leave the vehicle wearing all black outfits and beenies. Otis watches the two of them crouch and quickly tip toe toward a gape behind the entrance.)

LJ: Did your none-middle-school-graduate-having behind get that?

Otis: (Smack his lips) Oh, man, man; I got dis; don't even worry about it. Yo... you trust that kid?

LJ: Wherever that kid goes, trouble follows. He's definately trustworthy though.

Otis: Man... why don't we just shoot this fool and leave his body out for the gators? Then we'd be the kingpins runnin' stuff.

LJ: Just leave the guy alone. Trust me; the trouble you get into with him alive is much better than the trouble you will be in if you kill him.

Otis: I'm sick of having to work with jokers who don't know what they doing.

LJ: That's just how life goes, man. You can't always solve non-existant problems by hurting people all the time.

Otis: (Turns to LJ and looks him up and down) Man, shut up. See this is why you can't be the leader. You always tryna be proper and sintamental and stuff. ... A'int nobody got time for dat.

LJ: Yeah whatever, just watch out for the signal.

(Jack waves and he and Hanru hide behind a bush.)

LJ: Aight, that's us. I got da bag.

Otis: What? Nah, buster; I got the bag.

LJ: You don't know how to be tactful with stuff. (Grabs backpack)

(LJ looks up and Otis points a pistol in his face.)

Otis: This a'int no nergo-tiation.

LJ: Yeah, I know it's not, cause I'm carrying the bag. Now hurry up before I take a torch and some chicken grease to your behind. (Leaves the vehicle)

(Otis and LJ both run toward the bushes with Hanru and Jack. A few minutes pass and three gunshots are heard. The two security guards patrolling the zoo quickly rush toward the gunfire. Jack and Hanru both approach the gorilla cage and stare at the two gorilla which are beginning to back away.)

Jack: There it is; beautiful creature, isn't he? This is our conduit.

(Jack quickly pulls out a silenced pistol and shoots both guerilla.)

Hanru: Whoa?!

Jack: Relax; it's just an anesthetic. We need one of these big guys alive.

(LJ quickly walks up to the both of them and tosses Jack a pair of keys.)

LJ: We got a problem; one of the guards is missing. I disabled the security cameras so they can't see us through the bird's eyes, but the guard himself who watches the monitors is nowhere to be found.

Jack: Alright, we just gotta make this quick. (Unlocks the cage with the key and receives LJ's backpack)

Hanru: How does this work exactly?

Jack: (Pulls out a wrapped up black rag from the bag) Tomorrow, this big guy is gonna get sent off to the animal hospital cause he's feeling ill. The doctors will find a large dose of deadly liquid bacteria implanted into its body... (Unwraps rags and pulls out a sharp scalpel) by me.

Hanru: What...?

(LJ grabs Hanru by the shoulder and escorts him a few feet away while they talk. Jack's actions are shown as LJ explains.)

LJ: Look, there's nothing we can do about this, he's already made a deal. That gorilla's been cut open probably over a dozen times. Jack opens up a non-lethal part of the gorillas body. He takes a bag of drugs out of the backpack and he quickly puts them into the opening where he cut the gorilla open. Jack knows the bag will fit because once he opens the gorilla, a small bag of money of equal size is already stored in there as payment for Jack's last deal.

Hanru: So... the gorilla gets sick and is taken to the doctor tomorrow? And so... the doctors are the one's making the deal with Jack?

LJ: Exactly. Jack is delivering a chemical that's used for illegal scientific research. It's sort of like a underground science- like stem cell research.

Hanru: Kaito just dealt with drugs but he was never this extreme.

LJ: Well this is Kaito's boss. This is the big man. He has his hands tied in everything; not just drugs and prostitution.

(Hanru looks over at the paralyzed gorilla and it can't help but to stare at Hanru silently pleading for help. A tiny twinkle falls from his eyes. Hanru tries to charge toward Jack in fury, but LJ instantly grabs his shoulders to stop him.)

LJ: (Makes deep eye-contact with Hanru) I know how you feel, right now... but you can't.

(Jack finishes and walks up to LJ and Hanru with blood all over his hands. He puts two small darts in his pocket.)

Jack: Alright, it's done; let's get outta here. (Stares at Hanru for a few seconds)

(A flashlight shines on the three of them.)

Guard: Don't move!

Jack: Go!

(Jack, LJ, and Hanru both take off running.)

Guard: HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! (Chases them)

(They continue to run through the zoo, but the guard is about to catch up to them and user his taser. Jack sees this and quickly uses Hanru as a decoy and tosses him on the ground.)

LJ: What are you doing?!

Jack: Go back and get caught if you want to!

LJ: UGH!

(Jack and LJ continue running. The guard holds his knee down on Hanru's back and holds the taser up to his spine.)

Guard: Don't move, boy; I ain't afraid to shoot a troublemaker, even if he is a kid.

Hanru: (Thinking) So this is why Jack wanted me to come. He wanted to used me in case he needed a scapegoat.

(Jack and LJ both get into Jack's SUV.)

LJ: So you brought him along as a backup scapegoat?!

Jack: He's the only guy I could get at the time. Now stop complaining. (Tries to make car start) Oh, come on; why is it doing this to me now?! Piece of junk!

(LJ leaves the vehicle and the SUV starts. After about half an hour, Hanru gets picked up by the police. Hanru sits handcuffed in the back seat alone and afraid. The police car stops at the site of a man passed out in the middle of the street. The two police get out of the car, the man quickly gets up and shoots the cops with a tranquilizer gun. They both fall to the ground. LJ opens the door for Hanru after taking the keys from the passed out cops and he kindly removes Hanru's cuffs.)

Hanru: ... Thank you...

LJ: (Sighs) Get outta here... Stay low.

Hanru: What about the cops?

LJ: ... Don't worry about them. You've done enough. I'll handle this.

Hanru: Yea-

LJ: Don't say anything. Just go. Please.

(Hanru remains silent and runs away. With a very stressed out look on his face, LJ takes his cell phone out and makes a call.)

TO BE CONTINUED...
♠ ♠ ♠
1. When Henry and LJ were talking in LJ's home, Henry told Lj to
"flow with the breeze." This was a reference to Henry's zodiac sign Libra.

2. The song Jack's Niece was listening to was a song by the underground rapper Immortal Technique.

3. "Lover is Childlike" by The Low Anthem was playing during Lee and Nicky's conflicting conversation in the apartment.

4. "Black Magic" by Deluka was featured at the end of this chapter, however, another unofficial mellow song played to help capture the moment of how far LJ would go to protect Hanru and his innocence. The song "Black Magic" was partly chosen because LJ is Black and he was able to somehow save Hanru from a seemingly impossible situation.