Status: Active

Hanru Sazuki

Hanru Sazuki Volume Five Chapter Fifty: Death (Winter 2014/2015)

(The large black rimless spinning tires are spinning. A slow-moving sight of a tiny attic is seen. The tires are seen driving through the rocks of a yard. The kitchen and living room areas are slowly seen with almost all furniture missing. The van stops and the door is opened- followed by a black boot hitting the ground. Slowly, the shadow figure of a man is seen exiting the vehicle. Flash- he closes the door. Flash- he’s walking toward the back of his long white tinted van. Flash- he is seen parked in front of Hanru and Ada’s home. Flash- he opens the back of his van. Flash- he walks toward the door putting on black gloves. He rings the door bell and his heart is beating faster and faster. After a short while, he reaches into his back pocket. The door knob is slowly turned from the inside. The man pulls something black out from his pocket. The door is opened and the man pulls his small black object up to his chest.)

Stan: (Have with a goofy smile on his face) Howdy, neighbor! I was just about to call.

Hanru: Hey; it’s nice to see you again. (Invites Stan in) Come on in.

Stan: Much thanks to you, sir. (Walks inside)

Hanru: No problem. (Closes the door behind him)

(Hanru and Stan walk into the living room where Ada is seen sitting on the couch looking through a box of childhood photos of her, her twin sister Ronda, and her father Francis.)

Ada: Oh. Sorry, guys. (Sniffs and puts her photo album in her box) Accidentally stumbled on old photos is all.

Stans: Awe, you poor thing! Come; give Stanny a big huge. (Walks over to Ada and makes squealing noises as he hugs her)

Hanru: (Thinking) This guy…

Stan: Gently pulls her hand as he guides her) I know just what you need- let’s draw you a hot bath.

Hanru: (Drawing) He’s still trying to go after vulnerable women even though he’s married. This guy has an addiction. Oh well; best of luck to him.

(Jessica’s apartment)

(Jessica and her best friend Etta seem to be a bit heated over a few disagreeing terms. Etta’s boyfriend Keith just sits in the background on a stole sipping on a strawberry Capri-Sun.)

Etta: UGH! Why are being so difficult?! You were supposed to be the smart one in this house, remember?! I mean it must be true if I was dumb enough to believe that, right?!

Jessica: Pretty much, yeah.

Etta: ERRR! I only wish you were as smart as your mouth is! He doesn’t want you! Tell her, Keith! Tell her that the boy she’s going across state lines to be with doesn’t care for her and doesn’t want to poke her vagina like she wants him to.

Keith: Nope, staying outta this!

Etta: But, Keith!

Keith: Nope!

(Keith raises his hands up in the air to show he’s in no way on the offense or defense of either side and he quickly leaves the room.)

Etta: Ugh, whatever, Keith; I’m not letting you watch Pretty Woman with me tonight!

Keith: (Sarcastically yelling from the back room) Oh no! Anything but that; what will I ever do?!

Etta: He’s such a loser. Look, Jess, please don’t go. I’m really gonna miss it here without you and I’m gonna worry about you day and night. Hanru has proven he isn’t interested in starting a relationship beyond just friends and I don’t want you dealing with the dilemma of chasing after a man who doesn’t care about you the same way you do, and send your mind spiraling down a road of self-pity and guilt. I’ve been down that rocky road and I love you too much to let you go down it, Jess.

(Jessica really thinks hard about Henrietta’s words. She takes a deep breath and then looks up at Etta with a tiny grin.)

Jessica: You know what, thank you, Etta; you really helped me make a pretty big decision just down. Rocky Road sounds really good right now. I think I’ll get some ice cream on my way to Hanru’s.

(Etta sighs in disappointment and slaps her palm across her face in frustration.)

Jessica: But I better get going now if I’m gonna make it on time. Bye!

(Jessica opens the front door and reaches for her red suitcase near it.)

Etta: Jessica!

(Jessica flips out and turns back around to face Etta.)

Jessica: What is this really about?! Do you have some kind of lesbian crush on me or something; is that the real reason you don’t want me to leave?! Well you have your sissy boyfriend Keith living here now since that fight he had with his parents! Dress him up like a girl and fulfill your wildest fantasy! Do whatever you need to do to fill that miserably hole in your heart but leave me out of it cause I don’t care anymore. I’m sick of your drama, your constant complaining, and frankly I’m sick you in general! I don’t want to be here! Get that through your prissy little dome and stay out of my life for good you nut case.

Etta: (Offensively scoffs) Fine! Get your stupid bags and your stupid heart and get out of my apartment before my “sickening” personality rubs off on you! Don’t come back here! I’m never inviting you over for holidays or any get-togethers!

Jessica: Promise?!

Etta: GET OUT!

(Jessica grabs her suitcase and leaves. Etta slams the door behind her and scrams in the apartment. Jessica’s mask drops and her true feelings expose her guilt lightly streaming down her face through tears. All that can be hears is Etta psychotically yelling in her apartment, banging on the front door and Keith trying to calm her down. The screams get louder and the banging on the door only seizes to follow the sounds of glass breaking in the kitchen. Jessica suddenly wakes up in a panic. There are is a gentle knock on the window from an officer. She rolls down her car window.)

Cop: Do you live here, ma’am?

Jessica: Oh… No, officer; I just parked in front of this house last night to get some sleep is all. My roommate and I had a bit of a fight not too long ago so I’ve been sleeping in my vehicle.

Cop: The residence here called us cause they were worried you may be stalking them or may pose a threat.

Jessica: I can assure you that’s not the case.

Cop: You’re free to go, ma’am.

(Jessica knocks on the door of her old apartment. Etta opens up the door. A big smile is slapped across her face.)

Etta: Welcome home, roomie!

(Kaito’s mansion)

(Lee is desperately trying to mend the sounds of a baby girl screaming at the top of her lungs in a nursery room which seems to have sign of stopping. He holds her in his arms and gently bounces her with his leg.)

Lee: Awe, come on, baby. Come on; stop crying; you’re daddy’s here. Maybe not all the way here mentally cause I think you might of broken a part of brain or something.

(The baby continues wailing. After about 4 seconds, Lee begins crying back at the baby in an attempt to overpower the baby’s screams.)

Lee: Ahh… AHHHH!

(The baby screams even louder. Kaito rushes over to the doorway of the nursery.)

Kaito: Lee, sir; could you please come here a second?

Lee: Can’t; see I’m a little busy with the baby.

Kaito: It’s ok. You putting her down isn’t gonna make her cry any more. (Friendly smiles) Just come here.

Lee: (Whispers to baby as he lies her down in her crib) Ok… There you go, baby. Don’t worry; I’ll be back unfortunately.

(Lee steps out into the hall to face Kaito.)

Kaito: (Calm) Could you do me a favor, please?

Lee: Uh- (Glances at the baby) Sure; what’s up?

Kaito: Shut that BABY UP!

Lee: I’m trying to but she won’t calm down. I don’t know what’s wrong with her.

Kaito: I want silence in my home! (Pulls out his pistol) You both are in there screaming me to death and I know how to get one of you to stay quiet.

Lee: Hey, now; no violence in front of the demon; she’s a very sensitive soul.

(The Mexican maid just happens to walk by.)

Kaito: Leticia!

Leticia: Si, Mr. Kaito?

Kaito: (Says aggressively and quickly) Entra alli y hacer lo que se paga!

Leticia: Frotar los pies? Ok, Voy a la crema. I’ll get the foot cream.

Kaito: NO! Cuidar de ese nina que grita!

(Leticia looks at the baby for a few seconds while loudly chewing her gum loudly.)

Leticia: You want it quick or painful and slow?

Kaito: Just enough to keep it quiet!

Leticia: Bueno. (Quickly walks toward the baby)

Kaito: Hey, hey, hey! Leticia!

Leticia: What?!

Kaito: You know I was only joking, right?! When I say take care of, I mean it in a nurturing way.

Leticia: Oh, be more specific next time.

Kaito: I’m serious, no harming the baby in any way.

Leticia: (Approaches the baby and begins pulling something out of her pocket) Yeah, yeah, I got it, I got it.

Kaito: And no drugs either.

Leticia: (Lets go of what she was reaching for in her pocket) Ah, you’re no fun. Vamanos, Vamanos! Go, go; let me work my magic.

Kaito: Alright, see that, Lee; that’s how you handle that situation.

(Kaito looks over beside him and sees Lee charging down the hall full speed.)

(Miami streets)

(Lee is seen walking the streets of a surprisingly moderately occupied neighborhood. Lee passes a Canadian man in his 30 with a very unique Italian mustache with curls at the ends. The man double backs at Lee and stops where he is.)

James: (Excited) Hey, buddy; what’s going on.

(Lee stops and turns around a bit confused.)

Lee: Sorry, do I know you?

James: (Laughs) Kind of a silly question, don’t you think? You don’t remember a few weeks ago when we were doing those shots at the strip club?!

Lee: Ah… right from back in my party days.

James: Maaaan, we were like KITES- that night was crazy. I’ve never seen so many speed balls in my life.

Lee: Right, well that was the old me; I’ve turned over a new clover… or leaf… on life. I’m not doing all that anymore.

James: (Chuckles) Wow, you turned your whole life around in just one week; impressive.

Lee: A week?! Man… and here I thought my hangover headaches were from that stupid baby.

James: HAHA! Nope, nope, buddy, buddy; they come from all that fun you’ve been having. We should do that again sometime!

Lee: Since I’m rather unfortunate enough to remember the events of that oh so fun night, mind telling e if we did anything gay?

James: (Laugh) Heck no! There was no sword fighting between us that night. Now with other dudes maybe, but definitely not between us.

Lee: (Chuckle) Well good. If I ever do cross swords with anyone, I’d rather it be a full-on shemale.

James: Hey, we all have our preferences, you have yours; I have mine.

Lee: I mean I’m not saying I’m into that I’m just… Never mind. Uh… Sorry…

James: James.

Lee: James, but I can’t go out partying anymore; I gotta take care of my child now so… It was nice talking to you… (Turns around and walks away)

James: It doesn’t hurt to have a little fun every now and then. No one’s asking you to do it every night; it’s just every once in a while. Come on, buddy; you know you want to… (Raises his eyebrows as Lee turns to face him)

Lee: (Sighs) I can’t. Sorry… (Takes a deep breath)

James: Alright, well I’m headed over to a friend’s for a little while; you’re welcome to join if you’d like.

(Lee begins shaking as he struggles to make a decision, but he takes relieving breath heads back home to be with his family.)

(Chicago)

(Stan closes the shutters and locks the back of the moving truck with Hanru standing by his side.)

Stan: Alrighty; everything is moved in and the three of you are officially ready to be on your way. (Sniffs and fake cries) I’m gonna miss you guys; you were the best neighbors ever! (Opens arms for a hug)

Hanru: Yeah; we’ll miss you too, Stan. Thank you for helping us and I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other again real soon.

Stan: (Points at Hanru) I’m holding you to that; you promise?!

Hanru: We’ll see each other again; I’m almost certain.

(Ada and Yoko walk up to them.)

Ada: Alright; everything’s all packed and we’re ready to hit the road. Thank you for your help, Stan. (Holds his hand) You’ve done a lot for us and we’ll need to repay you; so we will be back at some point to visit.

Stan: (Gives her a warming hug) Awe…

(Hanru’s cell phone rings. He does not recognize the number but he answers it anyway.)

Hanru: Hello?

Man: I’ve got a present for you…

(Half an hour later, Hanru rides his bike through a dirt lot of an old broken down boathouse. He walks toward the boathouse but cautiously checks his surroundings. He enters and heads toward the left side of the broken down building. He stops at the site of Jason standing behind a large object covered in a large green tarp.)

Jason: So you actually came alone.

Hanru: I did. Do you really want me dead, Jason?

Jason: (Smirks) I do. I just… can’t do it right now. My hands are tied.

Hanru: What did you want to show me?

Jason: You gotta look for yourself, sir. Right under this tarp is a late birthday present just for you.

(Hanru boldly approaches the tarp and uncovers the entire thing. The smell hits him and he throws up beside the tub. He falls to the ground, and quickly backs away from it; covering his nose. Hanru slowly stands up and looks back into the fly and maggot infested tub while still covering his nose with the back of his hand. He can’t help but feel disgusted by the sight of chopped up limbs in organs all mashed together; soaking in blood and other various bodily fluid.)

Jason I have their head’s around back; wanna see? (Laughs) Hoow does it feel to see your creation?

Hanru: My creation?!

Jason: Yes! Your creation. This detective was a part of a little game I was playing with him, but he found me out too quickly. I got bored of him and so I decapitated him and his family and threw all their cut up body parts into this tub. His name was Detective Paul Connors. He had a wonderful wife and a bright kid. But I don’t discriminate so I threw them in the mix too. And in case you’re wondering- yes; I did cut their body parts off first before I decapitated them. I kept them alive as long as I could though before I did. Ah oh the boy… You should’ve heard the boy scre-

(Jason is shot in the right shoulder by Hanru. Jason quickly runs away behind a wall without turning back. Hanru releases three more shots through the flimsy wall. Hanru charges after Jason. Hanru gets outside and Jason runs into the trees of a surrounding forest. Hanru searches for Jason inside the deep wood keeping a sharp eye out. Three shots hit the tree beside him. Hanru hides and looks at the direction where the shots came from. He sees Jason running off with a small gun in his hands. The birds continue to chirp through the freakishly tall trees blocking out the sunlight with their leaves. Jason continues to charge through the trees until he eventually reaches a small shack hidden near the river. Hanru cautiously approaches the door but stops once he gets close enough to grab the handle. He takes a deep breath and just stares at the blood on the doorknob. Hanru looks at the gun in his hand and in conflict, he leaves the shack. Hanru eventually makes his way back to the boathouse. Hanru approaches the tub of bodily fluid and body parts. He can’t help but to just stare blindly at the floating body parts.)

Hanru: (Thinking) Is this really what I am…? Is this really what lies dormant inside me?

Man: Don’t move.

(Hanru’s heart drops into his chest, his lungs tighten, and become narrow, and the taste of blood consumes his mouth as his hands slowly rise following the feeling of cold steel pressed against the back of his head.)

Connors: You shot an unarmed man in cold blood because he found you out, but guess what, I’m a cop and I’m betting you don’t have the guts to shoot me.

Hanru: Jason must’ve sent you?

Connors: That’s right. Jason knows how dangerous you are and even provided evidence of you killing Jack Gustavo.

(Hanru just blindly stares at the wall not saying anything; taking it all in.)

Connors: Not saying a word, huh? (Backs away a few steps, and then walks around the bathtub; continuing to point his pistol at Hanru.)

Connors: What is this; some sick experiment?

(Jason walks up behind Hanru holding the side of his bleeding stomach.)

Connors: I think it’s time we get some answers. So you killed Jack Gustavo. I wanna know why you did it.

Hanru: I didn’t.

Connors: (Frustrating) Please don’t play this game right now; just cooperate and everything will go smoothly.

Jason: I say just cuff him and get him out of here, but first, look behind that tire next to you.

(Connors slowly takes a few steps to the side and notices a portable DVD player on the ground hidden behind a rusty old tire.)

Jason: Play it. That video will end this journey once and for all and you will have your conclusion.

(Connors opens the DVD player and plays the video. His wide Dana appears on the screen sweaty, with tangled hair, and a short scarf around her hair. She looks as if she wants to smile and laugh, but at the same time she has an unsettled look in her eyes. She giggles for a few seconds and then folds her lips in her mouth for a second before talking.)

Dana: Hi honey… So uh… here’s the thing… I love you… and Uh… I’ll can truly say with all my heart I will miss you. Um… (Looks down from the camera and closes her eyes tightly to hold in her tears for 5 seconds; looks back up) Honey, you are the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me. You were always a great man, Paul. You always provided for your family and not once did you ever give up on us when we were at our lowest points. I thank you deeply for that. So honey… This is gonna be the last time you’ll see me. I know telling you this may only send you into a spiral of emotions, but I feel you should know… before I go. So I’m pregnant, possibly…

(Connors just stares at the video zoned into it and chuckles out of excitement and fear as his eyes begin to water with tears.)

Dana: I have the feeling it might be a girl this time, but… unfortunately, we’ll never know for sure… Honey, please try to move on from me. I love you with all my heart and all my soul and I want nothing but to have you by my side during these final moments, but I need you to continue to love and make the world a better place. Please don’t give up… Please… (Tears roll down her face and she pauses for 5 seconds) You couldn’t save that girl and you watched her bleed out and die before help arrived during that domestic dispute case, but you have to forgive yourself, Paul… I-I am going to die tonight, Paul. I’m so sorry… Don’t blame yourself for this; I love you.

(Jason suddenly appears on camera beside Dana.)

Jason: Alright, time’s up…

Dana: (Panics) Wait, wait… please…!

(Jason pulls Dana further away from the camera and pulls a rather large lock of hair from her scalp. She yells out for Jason to stop it but he takes out a large knife and proceeds to very aggressively rip through Dana’s throat with a large sharp knife; starting from one side and carving his way to another. Blood leaks and leaks all over the place. Connors throws the laptop on the ground and his heart feels like it’s beating out of his chest. He looks over to where Jason was standing and sees two plastic trash bags on the ground. Connors quickly runs up to the bags and in a panic, tears open the bags. Once he sees what’s inside, he locks up. A few seconds pass and in a lost gaze, he reaches over to the second bag and tears it open.)

Hanru: Jason is ruthless… He lied to you about who I was and he lied to me about you being cut up and thrown into that tub of blood and body parts with the rest… of your family…

(Paul’s entire world is shattered by the sheer devastation of hearing his families body parts are in that tub. He shakes and his voice lets off weird awkward noises as he turns around and crawls to the tub. He reaches into the blood and pulls out the left arm with the hand still attached. He tried to deny it, but can’t. He stares at the wedding ring he gave his wife. He cries and gently puts her arm back in. He reaches back in and pulls out a small hand that is attacked to half an arm. He recognizes it as his young son’s.)

Paul: (Whispers to himself) It’s ok baby… I’m not gonna let anyone hurt you anymore, shhh…

(Paul presses the hand against his face and strokes it gently. After a few seconds, he kisses it and does the same to his wife’s left hand as well.)

Paul: (Whimpers) My babies… Oh my precious family…

(Hanru can’t help but to stare at Paul with a blank look on his face and just absorbs the reality of the situation.)

Hanru: (Thinking) This is death…? This is loss… The reality of knowing that someone who once laughed, who once cried, smiled, produced, loved; made feel loved… Is gone… A person who walked this earth and influenced those around them… Has no future. All they are and all they every will be, seized away… in one single moment…

(Hanru just stares at Paul and watches his reaction very closely. Paul plops his butt on the ground and places the arm and hand on the ground and glides his blood-soaked hands through his hair and then covers his face. He freezes for a few seconds. He quickly looks up and sees Hanru stares at him. Paul gets up, grabs his gun from off the ground gives one last glance at the two plastic bags holding his family’s head’s. Paul approaches the outside the boat house and just stares off into the slow flowing current. Hanru walks up behind him. He wants to say something, but he knows it wouldn’t help. He gathers to courage to utter a few words to him.)

Hanru: I’m… sorry… this happened.

(Paul slowly turns his head around to Hanru and gives him a spine shivering stare. Hanru just turns away and tries to stop himself from shaking. He feels a dark cold presence pass through his body.)

Connors: The last of her days, I spent chasing a lowlife murderer… I wasn’t there for her… or for my kid. (Takes one last long satisfying deep breath of nature) I spent Every day of my life trying to do the right thing. I became a cop and believed I was fighting for justice. I fought as hard as I possibly could to make this world a better place. (Shakes his head in disbelief and disappointment) Now I feel like none of that mattered. I fought along justice and put away so many seemingly bad people who were messed up in the head or we deemed as evil. (Turns to face Hanru) Is this what they felt every day? Is this what you feel everyday… this… dark, void… empty… thing? I think understand why you criminals do what they do. (Turns back around)

Hanru: You made the world a better place in your own way. Think of all the good you have accomplished and all you prevented as a cop. You helped people who… Ah… who needed to be helped… other than your family of course. And I’m not a killer? I am not a bad guy.

Connors: You’re the worst kind of killer.

Hanru: I have never murdered anyone in my entire life…

(Connors reaches into his black coat and pulls out a large file that he tosses on the ground between him and Hanru. Hanru grabs the file and scrolls through the pages.)

Connors: Those files contain information of all the murders you caused to happen.

(Hanru begins scrolling through the pages faster as does his heartbeat.)

Connors: All of these people murdered because of you. You got involved with the mafia back in 2012 and since then you’ve been the direct reason why tons of people were murdered. They were murdered in your name. Kaito Zonoda killed both his assistants Shido and Mikhail because of you, a young boy named Chris Kutcher who was your best friend Jessica’s boyfriend and dozens of non-suspected people at a motel when he was trying to kill you. Oliver Rayne was a cop just trying to do his job and when he got close you had him sniped. He had two kids that he didn’t even know about and one stepdaughter who was dating your brother. Jack Gustavo really did a number on a few people as well. Oh and let’s not forget about Shaun Maze, the serial killer you assisted in finding his victim’s bodies. Do you have any accomplishments? No. You are a failure at everything you do accept for causing people around you to die. You are the worse serial killer there is because you kill without getting your hands dirty. This is the reality of who you are. I can’t help but feel conflicted… Do I want to become what I dedicated my life to fighting my entire life: becoming a criminal? (Points his gun at Hanru’s face) Or do I die right here before tainting my soul. Either way this gun is going off and this bullet is gonna take a life.

Hanru: (Drops the files back on the ground) Than do what you have to. You’re right; I am the bad guy. I was born with this darkness and I always tried to keep it at bay. Somehow I never realized it was busy working on the people around me. Go ahead and shoot if you feel you need to. Since the beginning of this journey when I was 15 all I tried to do was know more about what I was feeling and understand this darkness inside me. You’ve helped me do just that. I understand this darkness within me and I will accept it into my heart from this moment on, so that way when I do die, it will die along with me.

Connors: (Shivers and grinds his teeth in rage for 5 seconds) I know you mean that… This darkness is not your fault. You need to get out of this life, kid. (Swallows nervously) Turn around, kid… and put your hands behind your head.

(Hanru silently obeys.)

Connors: Now get on your knees.

(Hanru gets on his knees and prepares himself for whatever his punishment may be.)

Connors: Okay, you are under ar-

(Connors begins having a hard time breathing he can’t focus or keep his thoughts atraight. He begins to hyperventilate.)

Connors: My… my family… They’re gone… they’re not coming back… no, they’re gone…

(His breathing gets twice as face and he holds his chest; desperately trying to get oxygen. He falls to his knees suffering. Hanru turns around and the two make eye-contact. Hanru just stares at him and Connors panics and tries to tell Hanru he needs help. Hanru knows he can’t do anything to help Paul but he stands up anyway and casually walks up to Paul. Paul looks crawls on his knees toward Hanru and Hanru falls to his knees again and gives Paul a big comforting hug while a tear falls from his eyes.)

Hanru: It’s alright. Just let it all go. You’ll be with them again soon.

(Paul’s body twitches aggressively for a few seconds but Hanru continues to hold on. Paul’s body then stiffens and then… stillness. Hanru hugs him tighter and more tears start to fall down his face.)

Hanru: I’m so sorry you suffered like this during your last moments. I’m so sorry… I’m sorry I caused this…

Jason: (Standing beside) All I ever wanted was to see this darkness be birthed inside you. Now I guess we both got what we wanted. Enjoy your life, Hanru Sazuki, cause I won and now the darkness rests strong in you. You are now my creation.

(Jason quickly disappears back into the boathouse. Sunset comes and Hanru just stares at it over the water as he rocks himself back and forth. Footsteps are heard behind him crunching in the snow. A warm-dressed easygoing man in his 30’s with short black spiky hair stands behind Hanru.)

Timothy: Getting yourself into trouble again I see.

(A blonde girl Hanru’s age approaches him and gives him a comforting hug from behind.)

Timothy: I brought her along so she could help you cope with this. Kid you messed up and you should never have gotten involved with this. I do have a life of my own, kid; and I don’t have time to spend it on watching over you 24/7. You should’ve called someone instead of assuming I was looking out for you again like last time. Debbie, try and talk to him; I’m going to clean up.

Debbie: Okay…

(Fade to Black)

[One Year Later]

(A large blue rig is seen parked somewhere with the engine still running. Inside the rig is an old man in the driver seat and Hanru on the passenger side. Hanru has somewhat of a darker look than usual in his eyes.)

Walter: You sure this is the place?

Hanru: I’m sure.

Walter: It’s in the middle of nowhere, kid. It’s a forest in the mountains.

Hanru: (Stares blankly ahead) There’s a town in the mountains I need to get to. We wouldn’t want your truck getting stuck out there in the snow. (Looks at Walter) Thanks for the ride.

Walter: Hey, no problem. Any friend of Kenneth’s is a friend of mine. He told me how you helped him reconnect with his daughter.

Hanru: (Remains silent and stares blankly ahead for a few seconds) Yeah… Teegan. I miss Teegan. I wonder how she’s doing…

(Hanru turns around and sees two white males with dirty blonde hair sitting on the bed. They both have their coats on. One has on a backpack.)

Hanru: Derek. I’m glad you and your wife are hanging in there. You’re going through your rough patches right now, but the fact that you are hitchhiking across the country to be with her shows how strong your love for her is.

Derek: Thanks, dude.

Hanru: I will always be grateful for you saving me back in 2009 when Natasha kidnapped me; put me in her trunk. You popped it open and got me out. I wouldn’t be alive today if it wasn’t for you…

(Hanru reaches into the back to offer Derek a handshake. Derek shakes his hand.)

Derek: Anytime, bro.

(They stop shaking and Hanru offers Walter a handshake. Walter shakes his hand.)

Hanru: You take care now, ya here? Both of you, take care…

Walter: At ease, nomad.

(The rig pulls off and it takes about 7 seconds for it to pass. Once it does, the other blonde man is standing next to Hanru. The other Blonde man is Michael. The two of them look at each other and securely strap on their back backs. They look around the area and see nothing but mountain of infinite trees, snow, and fog. A glimpse of the sun’s rays can be seen peaking over the mountain.)

Michael: It’s 6:30. It’ll be dark soon. Shall we press on?

(Hanru and Michael journey deeper and deeper into the white forest. All that can be heard is the faint sound of their shivery cold exhales and the crunches of their boots pressing into the snow. They journey on and continue to walk. Michael stops for a pee break. Hanru waits a few seconds and then joins in at a different tree. They continue to walk. They find a very large two story cabin on a hill. Next to it is a vacant blue car and a large red dodge truck. Hanru and Michael walk up to the cabin and knock on the door 5 times. A young woman with pale skin, long brown hair, and green eyes opens the door wearing a long sleeve black sweater and blue jeans. She nervously stares at them. A man with grey hair comes up behind her drying his hands with a towel.)

Man: Honey I told you to let me get it. (Nervous) Can I help you with something?

(The man gently pushes his daughter behind him and he gets in the doorway. He cautiously watches them like a hawk.)

Hanru: It’s dark and we’re cold and hungry, and we were wondering if we could stay the night here?

(Later at the dinner table, A woman with red-ish brown hair, the man with white hair, and the teenage girl with brown hair all sit at a rectangle table fixing their plates. After about 5 seconds Hanru and Michael join them.)

Man: So as you can see we are a healthy family. We always eat salad and a serving of vegetables with our meals. Out here we kinda have to eat healthy to make sure we don’t develop any health problems. Pointing out the obvious; it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out there are no hospitals or pharmacies near here so we try to do the best we can to avoid necessity of having to go to one.

Lady: There’s plenty of roast beef stew and salad for everyone so you boys just eat up.

Michael: (Looks at bowl of food and then beef stew) This looks delicious, ma’am; thank you. Thank all of you for letting two strangers into your home and eat at your table.

Man: (Smiles) It’s no problem at all. Around here, the supply of visitors is zero so whenever a few explorers like yourselves show up, we don’t mind sharing some of our warm love, and warm food. (Chuckles). You folks must be looking for that town up here?

Michael: Yes, sir, we are actually.

Lady: Um, I hate to interrupt but may we bless the food so we can fill our tummy holes? (Laughs)

Man: Sure, honey. I hope you two don’t mind this? We are a religious family, but we would hate to enforce our beliefs on you.

Hanru: This is your home and we are under your roof. We will respectfully join you in prayer.

Man: Alright, terrific. Let us hold hands.

(They all close their eyes, hold hands, and bow their heads.)

Man: Thank you for this meal we are going to receive; may it fill our stomachs and hearts with the nutrients and love from my beautiful wife who has prepared it for us to enjoy. And we thank you for our two guests, may they find enlightenment and riches of the heart through their journey and may you guide them safely through so that they reach their destination in peace. Thank you, Amen.

Everyone: Amen.

Man: So now, you were saying that you are both on your way to the town. How did you even find out about the place; it’s completely off the map and there are no forms of communication out here, except for the tower on top of the mountain and that’s only for emergency calls and weather updates and such.

(Everyone is passing the basket of bread around.)

Michael: We knew some people before they moved up here.

Man: Oh, nice. Bet they’ll be surprised to see their old buddies again. (Smiles)

Michael: So what about you; what made you wanna come all the way up here with the family?

Man: These are my roots. My great, great grandfather built this cabin all on his own with logs he gathered from this very forest. You know it’s a funny story actually. He had to do it in order to survive after his squad left him. This mountain was once a battlefield and he was wounded and so he didn’t wanna slow his squad down so he told them to leave him behind. By some miracle, he actually survived and he built this cabin. He went off into the city and had other kids of course and this cabin belonged to our family and we would always come up here for summer and winter vacations every year. Many years ago we decided the city was too rough and we moved out here and have been here ever since.

Michael: So you felt drawn to this place by heritage?

Man: Yeah. I know it may sound a little cheesy but it is what it is.

Hanru: I don’t believe that for a second.

Man: Excuse me?

Lady: He speaks?

Hanru: Our origins play a big role in our lives, but it does not define us. Our origins and our willpower do. Understanding that we can be whoever we want to be is what defines us. If you felt drawn here, that means you have no willpower to think for yourself.

Man: Wow, well, young man, who are you to judge me, a grown man, in the matters of life and freewill. I chose to be here. I chose this life not only for me but for my family as well. So before you try and tell someone how to play their cards, you better know what kind of game you’re playing first.

Hanru: I understand. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude.

Man: Ah, it’s alright, son. You’re a human being; you have the right to speak our mind. (Drinks cranberry juice out of wine glass)

Hanru: So, tell me… Was it your choice to abandon your 8 year old son over a decade ago?

(Everyone gets quiet at the table. Michael sighs and keeps to himself during the awkward moment.)

Man: What did you just say?

Michael: (Clears his throat to try and break the tension) This stew is amazing, ma’am. I might invest in making a career as a chef and using this as my main dish!

Man: Who are you two really? How did you really find this place?

Michael: Like we said before- friends.

Man: See now I think you’re lying. (Makes eye contact with Hanru, then Michael, then Hanru again) Honey go get my gun.

Michael: Now, Aaron, let’s not do this right now.

Aaron: Honey get my gun!

(Hanru casually pulls a pistol out and flips the safety switch while pointing it at Aaron.)

Hanru: So, here’s the thing. (Coughs once) We are here be meet some friends down at the town, but we were also here to come check you guys out. Michael.

Michael: Excuse me. (Stands up and walks away)

Lady: Please, we don’t want any trouble.

Hanru: And there won’t be any as long as you stay calm and listen to what I have to say. Believe it or not, I’m your friend, and I’m not here to hurt you in anyway, but I am here to provide you an opportunity.

Aaron: What opportunity?

Hanru: We’re getting to that. Just as soon as my partner here hurries up!

Michael: Hold on, I almost got ‘em, just chill.

(Michael places a pile of large photos on the table in front of Aaron and his wife.)

Lady: What are these?

Hanru: I know you haven’t been disconnected that long from society to where you don’t know what a photo is.

Lady: No, I mean, who is this? (Looks at photo) Is this our son?

Hanru: Yes, it is. It’s your son, and his new born daughter.

Girl: Wait, my brother is still alive?

Lady: Our son is alive…

Aaron: (Nervous) No… (Deeply inhales) That is not our son; you must be lying.

Hanru: I’ve spent the past 16 years with him! He’s been living with his grandmother Ming. From our sources, we understand she’s Aaron’s mother.

Man: Yes. I have Asian heritage.

Hanru: Lee has recently developed a very mild case of Bipolar disorder. He is a sex addict, he got married, had his first baby and lost his wife during the child-birthing process all in one night. He shot a cop in the back of the head in front of a grocery store and didn’t get caught. Who knows what else he’s gotten himself into, but he needs help bad. He needs his family. He’s lost too much of himself and he needs to be reminded of what it means to have a family. I should be there for him, but I can’t; I have business.

(Michael hands Aaron a large piece of notebook paper.)

Hanru: This is the information you need to know about him. Now if you’d excuse us, we’ve got someplace to be tomorrow and we need to get some rest. (Tosses his pistol over to Aaron) It’s a fake gun by the way. There’s no clip in it anyway. Like I said, I didn’t come here to hurt you. (Stands up) May I be excused?

Michael: Uh, Hanru. These nice people have made us food. The least we could do is eat it.

Hanru: That is if we’re still welcomed to.

Aaron: You know about my son which we thought has been dead all this time. I wanna know things about him. You share some stories about him and this little episode is forgiven and forgotten.

(Later that night Hanru and Michael are in the guest bedroom preparing for sleep. They are both straightening the sheet over the mattress.)

Michael: That was a pretty intense dinner, wouldn’t you agree?

Hanru: I agree. Lee isn’t in any position to come see his family and coming down here was the only way I could open up the possibility of them ever reuniting again.

Michael: What if they come in here in the middle of the night to kill us?

Hanru: I injected some Hydrochloride into their dessert earlier. Once it kicks in, we’ll have at least 7 hours before they wake up. I could always inject more in their system while they’re asleep.

Michael: You have a scary mind sometimes, you know that?

(There are two gentle knocks on the door. Michael and Hanru turn to see it’s Aaron’s daughter Claire.)

Claire: Hi.

Hanru: Hey, Claire.

Claire: I need to talk to you… just you.

Hanru: Okay.

Michael: I’ve gotta go blow up the outhouse anyway. You kids don’t get too crazy now. (Leaves the room)

Hanru: What’s up?

(Claire closes the door behind her. She turns around nervously to Hanru and leans her back against the door.)

Hanru: What’s up?

Claire: What is it like living in the real world with so many real people? I hear it’s dangerous out there and really scary and there are things that my parents don’t want me to know. I used to live in the city when I was a little girl but we moved here when I was about 9 or 10 and I don’t remember what it felt like to be around people… I know this is probably strange, but… I was wondering if maybe… you could take me with you when you go back… I mean…?

Hanru: The city is a rough place, especially for someone who hasn’t been raised around people.

Claire: I don’t wanna be locked up here in the cabin forever. Please, let me go with you. I can take care of myself, just please, take me with you. At least… let me see my brother. What if my parents decide not to go see him?

Hanru: I’m sorry. I can’t involve people in my business anymore.

Claire: (Looks down at the floor in embarrassment) Right, sorry… I feel sorta silly now for asking.

Hanru: You’re fine, Claire… I just don’t want you to get hurt.

Claire: But I wanna get hurt. I wanna experience life. I’m already 26 years old and, I’m so… inexperienced. I wanna see what else life has to offer me.

Hanru: Fine. My partner and I are headed to the town tomorrow. After we do business, we’ll come pick you up and bring you to the city and then we’ll drop you off and go our separate ways.

Claire: That’s fine… T-thank you. (Quickly leaves the room)

(The next morning, Hanru and Michael are seen once again traveling through the snowing mountains. They get over a hill and see the whole town right in front of them from their view hidden in a bowl of mountains. The two of them walk into town and everyone begins to stare at them as if they do not belong. Hanru and Michael continue to walk. Michael cautiously looks back at them, but Hanru just looks straight ahead and ignores them. They get to a cabin. Hanru knocks on it 5 times. A woman with glasses ad short black hair opens it.)

Hanru: Hey; surprised to see me?

(Michael and Hanru are let inside. They take off their coats and put them on the rack beside the front door. They walk into the kitchen area and see a woman washing dishes.)

Velma: How did you find us?

Hanru: I have my ways.

Velma: My sisters are all dead and now it’s just me and my little sister Judy here.

(Judy stares nervously at the dishes as she washes them.)

Velma: We killed no one and we don’t know nothing, so if you came here asking for information or to hire us for a hit, your efforts are in vain.

Hanru: If I found you then they will find you and kill you both. I’m recruiting a few people to kill Jason and his empire. I need help from some reliable friends.

Velma: You’re going after Jason? You’re crazier than me.

Michael: Jason broke into my house and murdered my sister Scarlet.

Velma: Sorry, I can’t help you.

Hanru: You can help. You’re just scared.

Velma: (Turns around to face Hanru) So I am scared, so what? Does that make me inhuman or something?

Hanru: I am willing to stay hidden in this village until Jason sends someone to come kill you or your sister. I’ll do my best to save you, but, if I fail then… well you’ll be dead, so it wouldn’t matter.

Velma: (Frustrated) Alright, fine. Judy, you’re coming with us.

Judy: (Scared) Oh, okay…

Hanru: Then we’ll wait. I’m sure at some point he’ll send someone to come get you.

Velma: (Closes her eyes) I just wanna be free again.

(Velma remembers the good times she’s had with her all of her sisters, Kristen, Anne, Jaine, Bertha, and Judy, and the Godmother who taught them how to poison. They are all sitting around a table picking petals out of white and red spotted flowers.)

Hanru: Alright. Let’s do this.

Hanru Narrating: I remember my past counterparts. I wonder what they would all say to me right now for going out there and murdering.

(Hanru thinks about the people of his past: Kenneth, Teegan, Shaun, Debbie, Kaito, Shido and Jason, Jack and Paul. They all stand beside one another starring at Hanru.)

Hanru Narrating: I miss all of them…

(As Hanru walks in the center of the a straight road, thunder lightly roars and echoes throughout the lightning surged dark clouds hovering over the infinite fields of dead grass and weeds. As Hanru stares straight ahead pacing his steps, a Caucasian man in a black suit follows. The clacking of his shoes hitting the hard ground becomes louder and louder through his mind. Hanru stops and so does the clacking. Hanru stares in forward and the man in the suit stands about 10 feet in front of him. The man in the suit is Jason.)

Jason: This is a self-destructive path you travel.

(Jason teleports behind Hanru and rests his hands on Hanru’s shoulders.)

Jason: And I’m proud of you for taking it.

(Jason gives Hanru a little push and Hanru continues to walk closer into the heart of the storm. After 10 seconds, he stops walking and he turns around to face Jason.)

Jason: Before you and I had our first encounter, you’ve always known deep inside that one day your life would lead you down this road. You have darkness inside you and at some point you’ll have to set it free. It is you, Conan. It is who you are by nature. Why not accept yourself for who you naturally are, huh?

(Kaito appears on the right side of Hanru.)

Kaito: Amigo. You taught me how to suppress my darkness and never let it take over me again. I allowed my darkness to define my past because I was too afraid to face my deepest fear of losing control and being powerless. I lost my brother, and then I met you, and then you told me it was my best friend Mikhail who killed him, and then I killed Mikhail; hired Shido to take his place, lost my crew’s loyalty to him, and then I was chained up in a dungeon. It took all of that to make me realize what it truly means to be powerless. I was the big man in charge and yet, I had no power without the people supporting me. When you’re the big man, you may have the say so, but you would never have that authority of power without others supporting you. So in truth, I never had power. My crew had the power in my empire, and I surrendered my own willpower to my fear and that fear is what drove my darkness to become stronger. I’m not afraid anymore. We are our own leaders, but what is a leader without any support: nothing. None of us are free to do as we choose. We are all defined by the external forces which make us diverse, but freedom only exists in the mind. Despite what defines us, we have the ability to command the things that make us strong, but only if we recognize them. So you make a choice of what you wish to be defined by- your light or your darkness. But just remember; whatever choice you make is what you choose to be a slave to.

(On the left of Hanru, Former Private Detective Kenneth Powell, Shaun Maze, Kenneth’s wife Carry, and Kenneth’s daughter Teegan appear.)

Kenneth: I suffered from a grieving heart, kid. After I thought I lost my wife, I became a miserable drunk and a terrible parent. My grief prevented me from realizing the truth of my actions. I was unknowingly choosing to remain miserable. I loved my daughter with all my heart, but I chose to worship the alcohol and the obsessions, hoping to find some kind of piece or hoping to numb the spiritual pain. After I lost someone close to me, I was too afraid to love again, but love was the cure for my grief. Taking a leap of faith is what helped me to accept the loss of my wife and embrace the love of my daughter. You’ve helped me understand that love never truly dies, it’s just reborn into the form of new love, but some bonds are just too strong and cannot be replaced. But sometimes heartbreak can set you free and make your love for other people stronger. When you love someone, you form an attachment, but detaching from that person allows you to see them for who they truly are without being blinded, and then you ask yourself if you accept and love this person for who they truly are and not for who you want them to be or for how they make you feel. If you detach from people and learn to love everything about them, you will find love anywhere and your love will be stronger. The strongest of love is usually the most distanced.

Shaun: I was a killer who killed whoever I pleased and never felt any form of guilt, until I made the mistake of thinking I accidentally killed Carry. I felt so guilty about killing her that I became desperate in finding any source that would help me to relieve the feeling and help me feel myself again. My darkness has always been with me, but then guilt became my substitute. I forgave myself after learning that Carry was alive and right away I turned back to my darkness which made me feel complete and satisfied. Because I felt so guilty, I tried my best to make amends with Kenneth and Teegan for killing their wife and mother, and because I let guilt rule over me, I turned to faith, and I slowly began to feel human emotions. It wasn’t until after my guilt was lifted altogether that my darkness came back and I realized what kind of person I was. That little taste of guilt helped me develop the necessary tools I needed to look at myself in a reflecting light and make a choice of who I want to be and what I wanted to believe in. You helped me realize that negativity and darkness are only bad things when you let them define you for too long and you do not learn how to grow from them. Darkness will always present itself but overcoming it will always bring you more pleasure and happiness in life. Happiness is a state of mind. We may not always have control over what we do, but we do have control over what tools to seek out for our arsenal, so that we could better understand what personal freedom is and better understand how to control the things which control us. And always remember what Faith is. Faith does not always mean to believe in God or Jesus. Faith is surrendering your sense of reality to something which defines your perception.

(On the left side of the road in front of Hanru, Debbie appears.)

Debbie: I always thought I was the most beautiful woman in the world. The truth is, my apartment was burned down by my ex, I lost all of my belongings, and I was homeless when I first met you. I had nothing and yet I was always so happy and confident in myself because I believed that my looks and my beauty were all I needed in this world to make it. You were the first guy ever to reject me and you helped understand the truth about myself. I am not that perfect, and the only reason why I walked around with my nose in the air was because I felt like I was a goddess to men, because they would always give me attention and always want to sleep with me. I was kicked in the face by reality because of you. I never respected myself or had any skills, or special traits. I was nothing without the sexual attention of others and you helped me realize that I was nothing more than a sex object. But it’s okay. I hated the world and I took initiative and made my own choices and became who I wanted to become. But if it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be on this path of self-discovery. I learned to accept the truth no matter how cruel it may be. The opposite of truth is perception. We perceive things and make them true to us, but truth does not need perception. Truth is truth and we as people need to separate ourselves from perception and learn to accept the truth. To accept the truth, we need to learn to surrender our expectations, feelings, thoughts and put our guard down.

(On the left side of the road beside Jason, Shido appears.)

Shido: Despite all of what they are saying, the fact remains that you need to deal with Jason. He is coming for you and your family and everyone you care about, unless you do something to stop him. What they all say to you does not matter because if you don’t do this, everyone you care for will be killed.

Jack Gustavo: (Appears beside Shido) Follow the path, kid. You’ve come this far; see it through…

Dalton: (Appears beside Jack) He’s pathetic, Uncle Jack. I don’t think he’s even worth coming to our side.

Paul: (Appears beside Kaito) What have you learned from my death? Embrace who you love and cherish most before they’re gone and it’s too late.

(Hanru looks around at everyone as they all stand around him and patiently stare. Hanru remains quiet for about 15 seconds. The thunder continues to lightly roar. Tiny sprinkles of rain begin slowly dripping down. Hanru stares up at Shido and Jason while they grin at him. Kaito Vanishes. Shaun disappears; the rain gets heavier. Debbie disappears; the rain gets extremely heavy and the sky becomes completely blackened with clouds. Teegan, Carry, Kenneth, and Paul then vanish.)

Hanru: I’m doing this because I know it’s the right thing to do! I’m not doing this because Jason wants to corrupt me and make me a serial killer!

Jason: And what’s the difference?

Hanru: What?

Jason: How do you know this wasn’t my plan all along?

(A loud roar is heard in the clouds and a giant waterfall of blood falls from the sky and hits the ground about a mile away from behind Jason, Shido, Dalton, and Jack.)

Jason: Let’s see if you can endure this.

(A giant tidal wave of blood consumes the lands and heads strait for Hanru. The giant wave flows around Jason and crashes into Hanru; dragging him away. Hanru wakes up in a shock. He checks his surroundings and sees he’s lying in a dark cabin in front of a lit fireplace. There are four empty chairs around him. Hanru takes a deep breath and sits on the chair second to the right. Michael comes out of the darkness and sits next to him on the left.)

Michael: You know you moan in your sleep?

Hanru: Yeah, I know I do. Half the time I have trouble sleeping.

Michael: What do you think prevents you from being happy? It doesn’t take a mind reader to see you’re afraid of happiness.

Hanru: I’m in my early 20’, I failed in school, my memory is awful, I have Social Anxiety Disorder, I’m emotionally unstable, I don’t have a job, I’ve never had a job, I have no real skills, I can hardly speak, I can’t express myself or who I am to the full extent, and I have a obsession with something a very much dislike. I’ve gone through this addiction for years now, but I’ve just never really shared much of it to anyone. It’s not your average addiction.

Michael: Why do you think you can’t express yourself?

Hanru: (Shrugs) I just can’t.

Michael: What’s keeping you from being happy; is the fact that you failed at school and can’t get a job?

Hanru: If I had a job, my life would be much better. I could actually contribute to my household instead of watching my family struggle with overwhelming bills and mortgages. I’m just a lowlife. I promised myself for years when I was younger that I would never ever fail school, repeat a grade, or become a lowlife. (Stares at the fire) I’ve promised myself many things and yet, I’ve become almost everything I promised myself I wouldn’t be. At least I haven’t had premarital sex yet. I suppose that’s one promise I still have yet to break.

Michael: … (Takes a deep breath) I know it’s hard, but you’ve gotta be a bit more outgoing. You’ve gotta really put yourself more out there if you really want a job. But why do you really want a job?

Hanru: Because I need to work for stuff. I need to work for something. I can’t just be a lazy bum. Once I get my first job, everything else will fall into place for me. I can save up and then get a car and a house and I can be successful. I believe that.

Michael: Your happiness should not be defined by whether or not you have a job. You need to learn to be happy without one and you need to enjoy life. Quit worrying about the future; worry about the present. Just live in the moment.

Hanru: I feel like less than a man on so many levels. If I’m not working, how can I consider myself a man?

Michael: You do what you have to, just don’t let this job thing control you too much, but yeah, it’s a good thing you wanna help out your family.

Hanru: I’d like to explore more of life before I die.

Michael: (Hugs Hanru) You have a strong heart, Hanru, just don’t forget what tools you have to better yourself and make free choices.

(Morning comes. A strong breath blows over the snowy mountains. A man in a black leather outfit is seen walking on top of the mountain with a duffle bag in one hand and a large sniper rifle in the other. He sets the bag down on the ground next to a small building connected to a giant metal satellite. He gets down on one knee and looks through his scope. He sees the entire village where Hanru and Michael are. He aims at Velma’s cabin and he sees her through the window talking to her sister Judy. The man is named Allen Elicio. Allen hears footsteps and quickly swaps to his pistol. He aims at the person walking toward him and stands up.)

Allen: Get outta here, kid, this is none of your business.

Hanru: (Aiming a gun at him) I’m afraid it is my business, Allen. I can’t let you kill anyone I care about.

Allen: Jason kept you alive this long to turn you into his puppet because he saw potential in you and by looking into your eyes now, I can see what he was talking about, but either way, you’re too predictable and you need to die now.

(Allen is shot in the side of the neck. He instantly falls to the ground. Hanru looks up at who shot him and it is his uncle Leo holding a pistol in his hand. Leo walks forward and stands about 15 feet from Hanru.)

Leo: I see you haven’t learned your lesson about getting involved in criminals. I’ve been tailing this guy for a while now hoping he’d lead me to the others.

Hanru: (Aims his pistol at Leo) How can I trust you not to kill me?

Leo: (Pointing his pistol at Hanru) I saved you from being killed just now; I think that’s proof enough that I don’t want you dead.

Hanru: I can’t trust you… I’m sorry, but I just can’t.

Leo: So that’s the way it’s gonna be, huh?

Hanru: Yeah.

(The first shot is let off, and the second shot is let off by Leo. Blood sprays all over the snow and on Hanru face. Hanru looks down and sees blood on the center of his shirt. He holds his stomach and falls to the ground. Hanru wakes up in an all- white room. A man wearing slacks and a black sweater vest stands in front of him. This man has curly white hair and wears glasses.)

Vincent: It’s a shame you had to die the way you did. I always thought you would go out with a bang, but then again… I guess you did.

Hanru: I’m not ready to die!

Vincent: Too late! You chose your path and you knew the risks, so now you’re dead. You should have chosen a different path other than darkness. Darkness is not you and you know it, yet, you let it consume you.

Hanru: What was I supposed to do, let the people I care about including myself be killed?!

Vincent: Yes.

Hanru: What?! No!

Vincent: You chose to take into your hands a situation that was too big for you to carry. You shouldn’t have done that. Now it’s too late for you. (Walks away)

Hanru: No, give me another chance! I want another chance! Please?! Don’t just ignore me! I wanna go back!

(A loud roar is suddenly heard and a flash of lightning takes Hanru back to the dark stormy road. Jason, Jack and Shido are in front of him and standing around him are Kaito, Debbie, Shaun, Carry, Kenneth, Michael, and Paul Connors.)

Hanru: Your darkness will not consume me! I am who I am, and I am not a killer! I trust in a higher power to handle this situation!

Jason: (Laughs) God? Are you serious?

Hanru: This situation is too big for me to handle and yes, for once I’m leaving it up to fate to handle this situation. I choose light; I do not choose darkness. With this last breath, I accept my death and I reject the darkness that is in me.

(Hanru looks behind him and sees that Leo’s bullet hit the metal satellite beside him. Hanru looks down and realizes that the blood on his shirt came from Leo. The left side of Leo’s stomach is spurting blood. Leo falls in the snow. The man who shot Leo walks up to Hanru and gives him a warm loving hug. An older man and woman stand behind him.)

Lawrence: The fact that you’re here tells me you finally snapped. (Looks Hanru in the eyes) Listen to me, little brother… Go home. Live a normal life and just be happy. That’s what our sacrifice was for. It was for you so that you could break this cycle of murder.

(Hanru looks behind Lawrence and sees a black man and a Japanese woman standing side-by-side.)

Hanru: Who are you?

Ellen: I am Ellen… Your mother and this here is your father.

Father: Hanru you need to go back home and just enjoy life.

Ellen: We love you, son, and we would love to hear about your life stories. But for now, we need to take care of a few things. We need to cut all lose ends and make sure Jason doesn’t bother you or any of us again. After we free ourselves, maybe we can be a family again.

(Hanru’s birth parents both finally give him a big hug.)

Hanru: (Closes his eyes and smiles brightly) That would be great… I’m glad I finally met you two…

Hanru Narrating: Our origins play a big part in who we are, but our willpower allows us to bend the rules a bit. We can’t use nature as an excuse to keep going down our own self-destructive path. We can change if we want to and we can make our own choices, but we are very limited. The choices we make are usually reflections of what makes us who we are, but we have the choice to control the mirrors which reflect our actions. Without guidance, we have no stable grounds for what choices are right or wrong. Without a leader, we follow ourselves and what we feel is right, but following our own rules is what destroyed our society. Perhaps we are too powerful to exist without guidance, and that is why religions and laws are formed. Either way, we need to take a good look at ourselves and figure out who we want to be, and we need to also realize that our perception is the origin of lies and deceit so we need to be willing to accept the truth and keep an open mind of things… My name is Hanru Sazuki and I feel my story is almost over…

(Ada and Yoko smile and laugh with one another while sitting in the park. Lee sits in a grassy park watching the sunset with his baby daughter in the stroller beside him and a panting growing puddle beside him. Erika happily sits with her therapist Evelyn Mercer in the office. Erika smiles and for once lets off a true and honest expression of laughter. Her son Ethan happily laughs alongside his mother. LJ and Janet both stand out on a long highway surrounded by a large forest screaming at each other while police try to calm ‘em down. After a few seconds, Janet turns around, glides her fingers through her hair and takes a deep breath. She apologizes and LJ forgives her. The two of them hug it out and the officer backs off a bit. Holly and her sister Tsuki both wonder on a college campus together happily. Henry enjoys spending time with his little sister- staying up late and watching movies. Brandy and Peter remain doctors at the hospital and so does Gladys. The Miami police force is up and running as usual. Erika returns with open arms. Keith and Etta enjoy each other alongside Jessica. There is a knock on the door and Jessica quickly answers it. It’s Hanru smiling at her. She is shocked, to see him but more shocked when he leans in and kisses her suddenly. It begins to snow. Hanru enters Jessica’s warm loving apartment and closes the door without looking back… shutting out the cold world without giving it a second peek.)

Hanru Narrating: And that’s all she wrote. I chose to leave my darkness behind and accept a new life. I’m leaving the chaos behind. I feel I’m ready… to accept light.

(The sun shines through the misty clouds.)

[END OF VOLUME FIVE]

[“The Cold” by “Exitmusic”]
♠ ♠ ♠
1. At the boathouse, Hanru originally fell into a trap by Jason. Hanru shoots the door of the shack not knowing that Connors was actually strapped to a chair behind the door. Hanru enters the shack and quickly realizes there is no knob to get out. Jason agree to let Hanru out only if he kills Connors, otherwise Hanru can call the police to save Connors before he dies. Because Connors knew of Hanru’s secret life, he would turn Hanru in, so Hanru was stuck with a difficult choice. This ending didn’t seem fitting. Plus everything that happened after the boathouse scenes were all prewritten as the original ending to Volume Four before Volume Four’s ending was changed.

2. The part where Connors reacted to his family’s fall was not something that could be planned. It was slightly improvised but also not knowing much about Connor’s, seeing his reaction was as curious to me as Hanru’s. Other disturbing things came to mind about what Connors would do but none of them ended up happening. There was also a struggle as to whether or not he would commit suicide. He was originally supposed to, but I very much frowned at that and I although the things in this story can be hardcore and gruesome, there is a reason for it. Suicide is a very touchy subject, even for me and when writing scenes like this, my mind is effected and suicide isn’t something that should be used as a plot device or for convenience. Not to mention I had a heart for Connor’s character as I was getting to know him in this scene.

3. Hanru gets off way too easy with some of the stuff he does. This time, I didn’t want him to be saved or get off so easy. Connor’s was going to arrest Hanru and by shock, he ends up having a heart attack after the reality hits him again that his family is no longer with him. This was not planned. This happened on its own and I went with it.

4. I struggled for about a month on writing the encounter with Hanru and Connors. I wanted it to have a big impact. Connors was assigned to be the special guest character for Volume Five, but after only about 2 or 3 chapters, his character felt unimportant at the time and was abandoned. Jack Gustavo then took over as the main guest character. Connors was still listed as a guest character and had to fulfill that role of giving Hanru some kind of life revelation. This ending did fulfill that, although their encounter at the boathouse was not originally planned.

5. Jack Gustavo provoked Hanru’s darkness and pushed it as Connors actually tried to cure it.

6. Since everything that happened after the boathouse was actually written originally in Volume 4, some things had to be changed, such as when Hanru was having his dream about the stormy road and all of the guest character returned. Jack Gustavo and Paul Connors were not created yet at the time that was written so during editing, the two of them were added in.

7. Speaking of editing, all additional dialogue written between Hanru and Connors’ encounter was not edited. There may be some mistakes.

8. The ending to Volume Four was changed many times and one ending consisted of Hanru being shot and waking up with his parents and another new character who was actually foreshadowed once in the Fourth Volume and at least three times in the Fifth. The foreshadowed character was Jason’s father who started the underground group that Jason supposedly ran. Jason’s father recruited Hanru to join his cause and would teach Hanru different methods of sadistic revelation. This idea would upset many people I feel because Hanru would dive deeper into serial killer territory while trying to still keep his hands clean. Eventually this would feel too repetitive and irritating for even readers to read.

9. After Hanru hugs his parents and everyone is seen living peacefully, this was additionally written to give all the characters a fresh happy ending. Lawrence, Leo, and Justin Hargrove were not added because Justin is disappeared, Lawrence is with his family, and Leo was fatally wounded.

10. This story was originally supposed to end at 100 chapters, writing 10 chapters a year. However, this story was not something I thought would be so complex and at times it would take years just to start up a new Volume. I gave myself a quota to end it in the year 2018 with 100 chapters, but I am only at chapter 50. This story is something very complex and stretching it out to 100 chapters is highly unlikely. I may write one or two more Volumes for 2017 and 2018 but at the moment I feel it’s fitting to end it where it is at chapter 50. I made sure to leave very little to no cliffhangers or loose ends.

11. Volume Four was difficult to edit so I wrote Volume Five was a way to keep the juices flowing but also not worry about furthering the story. The Fifth Volume ended after 7 chapters and this was not fully intended. Struggling with writers block and trying to work on editing multiple Volumes at the same time was very difficult. Because Volume Five ended at chapter 47, starting Volume Six at chapter 48 and writing 13 chapters up to 60 was exhausting to even think about. The material written for Volume Six and Four were added to Volume Five making Volume Five have 10 chapters instead of 7. Also, the last 3 chapters of Volume Five could be used as a way to sort of help bridge the gap between Volume Four and Five.

12. The song played at the end of the chapter during everyone’s smiles and laughs was called “Delver’s Hymnal (Part 3 – Onward To Meridian)” by The Flight and Joris de Man.

13. The ending song to this chapter was called “The Cold” By Exitmusic.