Status: 10 stars. We love you all <3 It's quite active.

You're So Pretty On the Outside

Idiot.

“Hey, where’s Mathieu?” Simon asked, walking into the apartment.

I looked up from the TV, Kean doing similarly. I shrugged. “Ask Jen.”

“Where is she?” he replied.

“I don’t know,” I replied. “Last I saw her she was heading out back with Lee but you never know with those two.”

I heard him sigh, grumbling something under his breath as he headed toward the balcony. I waited for his response, curious to know whether or not I was right.

“They’re not here,” he called back before showing up in the entry.

“Did you try calling him?” Matt suggested.

“Yep,” he nodded. “Not picking up his phone. I swear this kid has lost it.”

“I agree,” I confirmed.

We stared at the TV again blankly. I tapped my foot, my fingers twitching. I switched positions often, one second leaning against Kean, the next leaning forward on my knees. He noticed my behaviour and chuckled, touching my shoulder. I looked back.

“What the hell is up with you?” he asked, laughing.

“I want to move,” I replied, my leg twitching as I said this.

He laughed and tossed the remote to Simon, getting up. He grabbed my hands and pulled me to my feet. We walked to the front door and got our sneakers and sweaters on. I waited impatiently as he took his sweet time, glaring down at my so-called boyfriend. He looked up and smirked, leaning up to kiss me. I rolled my eyes and grabbed his hand, yanking him out the door.

“Someone’s anxious,” he commented.

“Shut up,” I laughed.

“Make me,” he challenged.

I sent him a look, daring him to repeat himself. He raised his hands, shrugging. I sighed and wrapped my arms around his waist as we walked down the street. He looked at me curiously.

“What’s up? Why have you been so restless lately?” he asked.

“I’m just worried,” I replied, scratching the back of my head.

“About?” he asked.

“Matt,” I replied. He nodded, knowing I was referring to Mathieu. “What do you think he’s gotten himself into? From what I’ve heard he’s starting to lose it, go wild. It’s not normal. He was never like this when Venita was around.”

“No one was like this when Venita was around, Matt,” Kean sighed. “I don’t know what’s going on with Mathieu and I’m just as worried as you are, trust me. I think everybody is on edge to figure out what the fuck he’s up to. All we know so far is he’s gotten into the bad habit of drinking and sleeping around.”

I grimaced. “I never knew depression could take away your self-respect.”

Matt sighed. “I’ve seen worse.”

“Who?”

He looked down at me, shaking his head. “You don’t know the kid.”

“What did he do?” I pressed.

“He attacked his sister,” he replied. “His mother died and his sister reminded him too much of her. They looked too much alike. The poor girl had her face fucked up thanks to him.”

I stared in horror. “What?!”

“I know, eh?” he replied. “Fucking ridiculous.”

“You knew this guy?” I asked, horrified.

“Mhm, he wasn’t stable,” he replied. “Anyone could tell.”

“How’s the girl now?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” he admitted. “I haven’t heard from her in a while. She was having a hard time coping with the result of her brother’s attack, though. Her father had him locked up for it and is now forced to live with a depressed teenage girl.”

“At least Venita had no siblings,” I mumbled.

“I agree,” he nodded slowly. “Come on, let’s head to the depp; I want some chocolate.”

“Alright,” I agreed, pulling on his hand and leading him down the next road. “You go in alone.”

“Why?”

“I’ll just be taking up space,” I replied. “Just hurry up, will you?”

“Okay, fine,” he sighed, walking into the store to buy something.

I leaned against the wall, looking across the parking lot and down the street. I watched the cars fly by, scene kids walking down the sidewalks with their friends. Groaning, I covered my face a bit in hopes of keeping recognition at a minimum. They seemed to busy with their conversations because they simply walked right by me.

Matt came out a few minutes later and we resumed our walk, heading toward the forest by the lake. We kept silent, looking out for raised roots and low tree limbs in hopes of avoiding too much damage.

Obnoxious laughter and cheers rang out through the trees. Birds in the treetops above us took off, startled. I jumped and looked around, searching for the laugher.

“Who the fuck was that?” Kean frowned, pulling me closer to him.

“I don’t know,” I murmured, “but I want to find out.”

“Nicholls are you crazy?” he exclaimed quietly.

“Maybe,” I replied before heading toward the voices.

I heard him groan before the sound of snapping branches and grunts joined my footsteps. The voices got louder and louder, the words becoming distinct. Someone was being encouraged to take a drug. I didn’t know which one yet; no one had mentioned a name.

I sped up, suddenly getting worried. What if its Matt?

“Bear, slow down,” Kean called. I sped up.

I heard different drug names being called, none of them being promising. Shit!

I spotted an opening in the trees and headed toward it. The voices were right in front of me. The people were in that clearing. My stomach fell as an all too familiar French accent reached my ears.

“I’ll try the dope,” the guy said.

“No,” I gasped.

“Shit, was that Matt?” Kean asked, catching up to me.

“Yes,” I breathed, terrified. “He fucking got himself into drugs? God, I’m going to kill him!”

“Matt, he’s a grown man, you can’t control him!” Kean said, grabbing my arm.

“Let me go!” I hissed.

“No, it’s his choice, let him be,” he refused.

“What if he fucking overdoses? Then what?”

“He’s not that stu-”

“Yes he is!” I snapped. “He got himself into drugs, Matt, drugs!”

“But we’re no better now are we, Matt? Look at us, Matt! We both did that shit at some point!” he snapped.

“Which is why I have to stop him!” I retorted, trying to keep my voice down.

“Don’t interfere with the kid’s life!” he replied.

“What if it’s to save it?”

“Matt just let him b-”

“Shit, Matt!” a girl screamed.

I spun around, running to the opening. I broke through the trees and skidded to a halt in the center of the group. The girls among the group screamed, out of shock or fear, I had no clue. My gaze was fixed to Mathieu, his breathing coming in short gasps and his skin slowly losing its color.

“Call 9-1-1!” I screamed, running to him. Kean joined me within seconds.

“We have to get him out of here,” I stated, trying hard not to panic. “What’s the fastest way out?”

“This way!” a brown haired boy called, getting up.

“Come on,” I said to Kean, lifting Mathieu up.

I grunted; the kid was heavier than I thought. I followed the brunette quickly; his group and Kean following close behind. Five minutes later we were out and a girl was calling 9-1-1 to get an ambulance.

“You still didn’t call?!” I shrieked. She squealed, hiding behind a buff Goth guy.

“Hey, fuck off,” he snapped.

“Don’t tell me to fuck off, you fucking prick! One of my fucking friend’s is possibly dead because of you idiots!” I screamed. I wasn’t ready to lose someone else.

I dropped down next to Mathieu and checked his breathing. It was coming out laboured. Kean was on his other side, checking his pulse. I grimaced, realizing his lips were slowly draining of their natural color, it being replaced with blue.

“Fuck, Matt, you idiot!” I breathed, resting my head on his chest lightly.

“Do we call the others?”

“At the hospital,” I replied.

We waited for the ambulance, worried it wouldn’t arrive in time. Thankfully, it was here in record time and he was taken away quickly. They told us where he’d be and we made our way there. I pulled my phone out, scrolling down to Oli’s number.

“Hello?” he answered.

“Mathieu’s in the hospital,” I said. “He overdosed.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Seriously, I have no idea how long an overdose takes to kick in so let's just say that little talk between Nicholls and Kean was about five minutes, 'kay? Sorry for the wait, I was busy with school. Hope this makes up for it though. Sorry for any mistakes.