Status: Last Update: October 23rd, 2010

Luck & Intuition

Sand in Your Shoes.

In dedication to my best friend who has been there for me when I don't have the best of days or when I just need to talk to someone. For a girl who knows me better then I know myself. For the only one out there who understands the way I am. For you, dear Kaisie, this is for you. ♥

AUTUMN ROLLED OVER onto her side to snuggle in close to Joe’s. Since Joe had decided that he was “lonely”, he had joined Autumn for their late night slumber. But of course, with every pleasurable moment comes with the dropping of a not so good one. Joe’s body was not to the left of Autumn’s. She patted around the mattress but it was just her laying on the bed. She peeled her eyes open to make sure, and she was correct. Autumn sat up and glanced around the vacant room.

Autumn grabbed her cell phone off the side table and glanced at the time. Her eyes snapped wide open when she noticed that it was nearly eleven and she was suppose to pick up Ella from Taylor and Kevin’s house. She scooted off the bed and began to jog down the stairs.

“Joe!” She called out, rounding the corner into the living room, and then cut across towards the kitchen. “Joe I—“ Autumn stopped and blinked multiple times. There in the kitchen was Ella Mae perched upon the countertop with a bowl of strawberries in her lap, with her eyes focused on the television mounted to the wall.

“I took the liberty of going to pick her up. I hope that was okay.” Joe’s voice came from behind her. Autumn turned and smiled genuinely.

“Yeah, that’s fine. She likes you so it’s all good.” Autumn laughed softly, turning and walking over to Ella. She picked Ella up and kissed her cheeks. “Were you good for Tay and Kev, Ella? Were you good for them?” Ella nodded her head and started to babble. Autumn set Ella back down and took a few of her strawberries, popping them into her mouth.

“Joe, where’d your coffee table go? I swear it was there last night.” Storm came staggering into the kitchen. Her hair was a complete mess and sticking up in all directions. She was in her boy shorts and a blue tank top, along with Joe’s black robe overtop. Autumn couldn’t help but giggle a little inside.

“Well my very expensive glass table in now living in the trash can in billions of pieces due to a certain someone getting insanely intoxicated last night and trashing most of my house.” Joe eyes were sending daggers towards Storm as she poured herself a glass of orange juice. Storm just shrugged and walked around the island to Ella.

“Alright Ella, now listen to Auntie Storm. Never ever drink. If you do, I will hunt you down and knock some sense into you. And do not drown yourself in the horrible liquid just because some boy who you love to death is being an ignorant, selfish son of a bitch—“

“Language, Storm.”

“And he just doesn’t realize that what you two have is real. And even if he is one of the most beautiful, sweetest and sincere human being you have ever met...” Storm trailed off and paused for a long moment. Joe took a step forward, bending slightly to look at Storm’s lowered head. Running along Storm’s cheeks were the tears of a girl who needed the other half of her to be filled.

“Storm...” Autumn said softly.

Storm cleared her throat and looked back up at Ella whom was staring directly at her. Ella picked up a napkin and handed it to Storm. She laughed dryly, taking the napkin and patted her eyes.

“Just don’t drink, Ella. That’s all.” Storm swallowed hard and moved her feet quickly to exit the kitchen. She returned back up the stairs, slamming Joe’s bedroom door shut.

Joe and Autumn stood in complete silence with the dreaded mark of Storm’s emotions imprinted onto them. Autumn sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. “I hate this.” She muttered under her breath. Joe nodded in agreement. “Can you watch Ella while I go talk to Storm?”

“Yeah. She needs you, A. I’ll talk to Nick, too, if he answers his phone.” Joe said softly. He leaned down and kissed Autumn’s cheek before walking over to the amused Ella and picking her up to take her out to the pool area. Autumn watched them go then began to venture up the stairs. She pressed her ear to the bedroom door, hearing the sounds of the television on a low volume level.

Autumn didn’t bother to knock; instead she just invited herself into the room since it was Joe’s room, after all. The curtains to the right side of the room that overlooked the pool with a balcony where only let a few strokes of the sun shine through. Storm, on the other hand, was curled up under the white duvet covers on the dark side of the room. The room was semi-trashed with a few bottles of alcohol lying around and Storm’s clothes, along with what looked like a few of Nick’s sweaters were scattered on the floor.

Autumn climbed up onto the king sized bed and crossed her legs, frowning. All she could see was Storm’s eyes closed but with the trace of tear streaks down her cheeks.

“I really thought he’d at least call me or text me.” Storm whispered. “But he hasn’t.”

Autumn sighed. “I know. Maybe he... Maybe Nick is just trying to find himself, you know?”

“Find himself?” Storm questioned. “Find himself?!” She sat up and leaned over the bed to pick up a square case. She turned over and shoved the case at Autumn’s face. “He wrote a whole fucking album anybody finding himself, Autumn! A whole album! With the single WHO I AM. Shouldn’t he know who he is by now?!” Autumn didn’t say anything. “Shouldn’t he?!”

“Yeah, I uh, I guess so.” She blinked. “Why do you have his CD with you...?”

“Because... Because I just do, okay?”

“Okay.”

“How is everything with you and Joe?” She asked.

“I’m not here to talk about Joe and I.”

Everything fell into silence. Autumn took the case and opened it to find the booklet inside to be flipped to Vespers Goodbye. She rubbed her forehead, setting down the case onto the side table.

“Storm, I know this is hard for you, I do. And you know that I want you to be happy no matter what, even if it I haven’t always been really there for you for the past two years because of work. But I guarantee you that Nick loves you no matter what he says or does that have caused you pain. Every couple has their ups and downs; it’s all part of the process of building a strong relationship.”

Autumn sighed and shifted slightly to face Storm completely.

“When I see you two together, you both are invincible. You two are completely different people but at the same time that’s what makes you so perfect for each other. You are like each other missing piece. You and Nick...” Autumn paused and laughed slightly. “I want what you two have. I want happiness; I want the little stupid fights. I want to smile, I want for someone to care for me. I want someone to look me in the eye and tell me that they love me!”

Storm laughed softly at the reference which caused her to smile only for a brief moment, and then quickly be erased. Autumn took a tissue box off the table and placed them in front of Storm’s lap. Storm took two and began to dab underneath her eyes.

“I suppose what I’m just trying to say is that not to give up on Nick unless he does something completely stupid, which I will kick his ass. And because Storm Collins never takes no for an answer! Am I right, am I right? Of course I’m right!”

Riiiiight.

There were few knocks on the door followed by the process of the door being opened slowly. Joe leaned down and grabbed a pillow close to the door and blocked his face.

“Is it safe to enter?” He mumbled from behind his shield.

“Yeah?” Autumn said, confused. Joe lowered the pillow and glanced around.

“Storm threw a book at me earlier when I came to check if she was still alive. She has anger issue, that one does.” Joe shook his head.

“Uh, hello! I’m in the room; therefore I can hear you, Joseph.” Storm glared and crossed her arm.

“That was the whole point.” Joe sniggered and leaned against the wall.

“I swear to God Joseph—“

“That’ll do lads, that’ll do!” Autumn raised her hands in the air to stop the growing argument. Both Storm and Joe’s heads turned to stare at Autumn.

“I thought your British-ness died?” Storm raised her eyebrows, tipping her head to the side.

“That was hot.” Joe spoke bluntly.

“Wow, you’re just. Wow. What the hell do you see in this kid, Autry?” Storm was being serious because she had her ‘where the fuck did you find this kid?’ look plastered on her face.

“Oh aren’t you just the comedian.” Joe rolled his eyes. “I liked better when you were sulking.”

Storm picked up a hardcover book and chucked it at Joe’s head. Literally. Joe grabbed the side of his head as he yelped out in pain. Storm buried herself under the covers and Autumn sat there with her palm pressed to her forehead.

“I’m bleeding! She made me bleed my own blood!” Joe shouted, staring at the few drops of blood on his fingers. “Look!”

“Well obviously you’re bleeding your own blood, dumbass! It’s not like you can bleed someone else’s blood.” Storm called from under the covers.

“Sure you can!”

“Oh my God. Just kill me, kill me right now.” Autumn murmured to herself.

Then they stopped, they just both stopped complaining. It’s like their batteries had died. It was fantastic, really.

“So the main reason I came up here was because Kevin gave me these tickets for Jimmy Kimmel Live! recording tonight. So it looks like we’re all going. Well I don’t know if Nick is, but yeah.” Joe shrugged and flashed the tickets at them.

“Can’t I just stay here and eat ice cream until I puke?” Storm asked, sighing loudly.

“If I can’t trust you with alcohol, what makes you think I can trust you with ice cream?” Joe crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes.

“Autumnnnnnnn! Your boyfriend is being mean!”

For the love of God. It was never going to end.

[&&]

The six of them piled into the studio, the six of them being: Taylor, Kevin, Joe, Autumn, Ella Mae and the very huffy and reluctant Storm. They filed in and took their seats in the second row. And of course, there were the few people that recognized the brothers and asked for a picture.

Ella climbed over Autumn’s lap onto Joe’s and began to have an incomprehensive conversation. Autumn smiled, turning her head to see Storm slump down in her chair. Her head was tilted back as she stared up at the ceiling.

“Is Nick coming?” Autumn asked, turning her direction to Kevin who was sitting in between Joe and Taylor.

“I texted him awhile ago, he said to save a spot for him. So I suppose he is coming.”

Soon after Kevin spoke the lights in the studio went down and music began to play which indicated that Jimmy Kimmel was about to take the stage. Jimmy stood center stage with the audience clapping wildly, he smile and said a few thanks for before the audience calmed down and hushed. He clapped his hands together and parted his lips to talk.

“Thank you. This week has been very busy because tonight we have a special one hour show.” Everyone started to gasps at the word special. “I know, it’s exciting right?” He began to gossip about the latest celebrity nonsense while the crew worked to the side of him for setting up the band that was going to be playing later. And with that the ON AIR sign flickered off as hint that commercials were being shown.

“Niq!” Ella shouted and pointed in the direction of Nick down by the stairs. He had heard, smiling and waving at Ella. Kevin motioned for Nick to come join them with the open spot they had for him beside Storm. Nick held up his hand and pointed to the ON AIR sign that had turned red.

Jimmy had took his seat behind his desk and settled down the crowd from clapping. “I’d like to welcome our special guest today, singing a song called ‘Sand in Your Shoes’ which he did not write.” There was some laughter. “Nick Jonas, everyone!”

Cheers began to roar throughout the entire studio. Storm’s shot up and was nearly on the edge of her seat with her eyes wide. Her hands gripped the railing in front of her causing her knuckles to turn white. Nick picked up his acoustic guitar from its stand, smiled to the crowd.

“Hello.” He spoke into the microphone. “The song I’m about to play is not my own, however, it does describe something wonderful that happened two years ago. I met this girl at a party that I really didn’t really want to be at all. She was laughing at me from across the room with the host of the party, followed by her starting a conversation with me asking if I wanted to get out of there.” Nick paused and chuckled lightly away from the microphone. “I was eighteen, confused and a mess but in love. I’m twenty now, not as confused or a mess anymore. The one thing that remains the same is that I’m in love with a girl named Storm Collins, the girl from the party. They girl I don’t want to lose. Ever.”

Storm’s hands were covering her mouth as he eyes welled up with tears but she resisted on letting them fall. The others glanced from Nick to Storm several times, shocked by Nick’s approach on wanting to win Storm over again.

Nick started to strum softly; it was only him on the stage. There was no backup band at all. He licked his lips and step forward to the microphone.

“I couldn't stand to be in that place. I was just about to leave, when I saw your face. You were laughing at me with your beautiful mouth. You said, 'You're looking miserable, do you want to get out?'... When you're only 18 and you got nothing to lose and your living a dream with the sand in your shoes. You said falling in love is easy. It's easy to do.”

Storm’s lips broke out into a smile with her eyes falling shut, letting the tears escape. Autumn laughed, almost knowingly, and wrapped her arms around her best friend. Autumn had recognized the song that Nick was playing. Storm always played it whenever she had Nick on her mind. It was their song. It was Storm and Nick’s song.

And this was just another signature milestone of their relationship.

[&&]

The studio flooded out with the audience that had attended. Soon enough the only beings left were Kevin, Taylor, Joe, Autumn, Ella, Storm and Nick. Autumn and Storm watched from the sidelines as Nick helped the band pack up their gear from the other song he had perform from his solo album.

“I’m speechless.” Storm whispered.

Autumn giggled and nodded. “I knew he’d come around. He always does. You two are going to be fine.”

“Yeah.” Storm smiled. “We are. You and Joe, too.”

“Storm, I’m still not here to talk about Joe and I. That doesn’t matter right now.”

“Of course it matters, Autry. I’m happy and I want you to be happy, so guess what? Joe makes you happy. He makes Ella happy; she’s practically your daughter now! If I could just record how you are with Joe around it’d be the best selling movie of our generation.” Storm and Autumn laughed. “So for everyone’s sake of having to watch you two, don’t let him go or I will kick your ass.”

“Autumn, are you coming?” Joe called out.

“Go. Go with him. Besides, I’ve got some patching up to do.” Storm smiled, and glanced at Nick.

Autumn wrapped her arms around Storm and hugged her tightly, shutting her eyes. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. Now go!” Storm laughed, pushing Autumn towards Joe and Ella.

Cold fingers intertwined with hers causing goose bumps to rise along her arms and her cheeks to turn hot. She tightened the gripped, looking down at her’s and Nick’s fingers. She leaned back into Nick’s embrace, closing her eyes.

“You made me cry.” She murmured. “At first I was telling myself not to let the tears fall but I couldn’t help it.”

“I’m sorry.” Nick buried his face into the crook of Storm’s shoulder. “I just didn’t know any other way to get through to you.”

“You could have called or even texted.”

He sighed. “I couldn’t find the right words. I thought this would have been more captivating. But I honestly thought that you weren’t going to show up, that’s the part I was afraid of the most. You deciding on not to care anymore.”

“Nick that would be the last thing I’d ever do. I care about you so much that I cannot put it into words. You can get me mad or upset, but each time I just keep falling for you even more.” Storm bit down on her lower lip. Nick grasp became stronger around Storms waist.

“I’m putting everything on the line to be with you, Storm. I don’t care what it may cost me, just as long as I can be with you will be everything I could ask for.” Nick paused. “Falling in love is easy when I'm with you."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is clearly the longest chapter I have written. I wrote this, then rewrote it. I even deleted it and started from scratch again. I must have worked on this for a week or so because I wanted it to be perfect. There is a deeper meaning behind the chapter: Friends will be there for you through thick and thin. And those you love will always come back to you.

Make a comment, spread the story ♥